企图通过吸食年轻人的梦想
Trying to become immortal...
来获得永生
by feeding on young people's dreams.
对于《逃避者》乔治卡东那
Georges Cardona had his own very bizarre love, right? For Shirkers.
有一种诡异的热爱
I thought that when he absconded
我觉得他带着所有的胶片
with all of the reels
潜逃之后 他们会散落在外
that it would just be strewn outside,
在潮湿的环境里逐渐腐烂
and the humidity would basically eat up the film,
就这样了
and that would be it.
不过他喜欢这些胶片
But he loved those reels.
我们都以不同的方式爱上了这部电影
We all fell in love with the film in different ways,
但他的回答是 我不知道 天啊
and his was like, I don't know, man,
就像恋尸癖一样
it was like necrophiliac.
他可能喜欢我们的胶片
He might have loved our reels,
但是他把所有的录音带都扔了
but he threw all the sound recordings away.
《逃避者》还给我们的时候是一部默片
Shirkers was returned to us a mute.
(郑叶杰 影评人)
20多年之后
I'm seeing everything, first time.
我第一次看过全片
More than 20 years later.
你在那里 整部影片种都有
There you are. God, look at you.
你知道 你们都很可爱吗?
You know, you guys were adorable.
好吧 我真的
Okay, I really..
当我看到影片的时候
When I saw the footage,
(谢福龙 影评人)
我只是想 天哪 这部影片本来应该完成的
I just thought that, "Gee whiz, this film should've been finished."
这会成为一种号♥召力 告诉大家凡是都可以尝试
It would have been a rallying call that it's okay to try anything.
在关于新加坡电影史的书籍中
You know, Shirkers is like the ghost
《逃避者》就像是字里行间的一个幽灵
in between the lines of books written on Singapore film history,
对我来说《逃避者》非常明显的缺陷
and for me, Shirkers has this very palpable absence.
我听到这个声音说:“不行”
And I have this voice going, "No,?no, no,
《逃避者》需要有一席之地
Shirkers needs to be there."
多年来 我觉得自己像个疯子
For years, I felt like a crazy person
谈论这部不存在的电影
talking about this film that didn't exist.
但我证明了自己的清白
But I was vindicated.
我记得但是每个人都很出色
Everyone I remembered being fantastic was fantastic.
而我要多糟糕 就有多糟糕
And I was as rotten as I thought I was.
在这个时间里有很多惊喜
There were so many surprises in this time capsule.
这个时代的流行时装
The fashion choices of the era.
口香糖被禁止后 锦佳在肆无忌惮的嚼口香糖
Jasmine defiantly chewing gum after gum was officially banned.
还有我早已遗忘的
And then, there was the landscape of a Singapore
新加坡景观
I had let myself forget.
(细致入微的创新营造细致入微的体验)
(新马铁路 1932-2011)
在拍摄《逃避者》之前 锦佳没有参加
Jasmine didn't come along on that road trip
我和乔治进行那次公路旅行
that Georges and I took before Shirkers...
不过多年后 我们进行了另一次公路旅行
but years later, we took another one.
我把她带回纽约
I was taking her back to New York.
货许不再是她曾经熟悉的那个纽约
Maybe not the same New York she once knew.
不过她也不同往昔
But she wasn't the same person anymore either.
他们为什么让它看起来好像有更多的东西
Why do they make it look like it's cardboard?
你们美国人 太棒了
You Americans, so wonderful.
我要在巴黎
I was getting married in Paris,
巴黎 和拉斯维加斯结婚
Paris, Las Vegas.
嘿 开始了 他们来了
Hey, here we go. There they are.
噢耶
Oh, yeah.
灯没开
The light's not on.
-嘿?-灯还没亮
- Hey? - The light's not on.
看看这个 我走出了自己的婚礼……
Look at this. I step out of my own wedding...
这个录像
Is the video...?
马上开始对锦佳大吼
...and instantly begin yelling at Jasmine.
(爵士女神)
你又不是骆驼
You are not a camel.
又不重 所有东西都 我拿着它
It's not heavy.?I'm holding it.
她说的对
She was right.
我就是个混♥蛋♥
I was an asshole.
真的很好
It's so good!
锦佳刚创作了
Jasmine had just made what is still
新加坡历史上最具冒险性的电影
the most adventurous movie ever created in Singapore.
(《吃风》1999年)
我们三个人中 锦佳是唯一还住在新加坡的
Of the three of us, Jasmine is the only one who still lives in Singapore.
到目前为止 她是我们三人中最棒的
And she's the noblest of us by far.
这是为了提高对编剧的关注
And this is to raise awareness for the screenwriters, yeah!
-像这样?-像这样
- Like that? - Like that.
剧作家们团结起来
Say, "Writers unite!"
-编剧团结起来 -耶
- Writers unite! - Yeah!
只要她看到不公 就会抗争
She fights Injustice wherever she sees it.
只要我们身处同一个城市的 就会一起吃午饭
We still grab lunch whenever we're in the same city,
我们仍然会突袭 足不出户的朋友叶杰
and we still ambush our friend Yek Keak who never leaves his home.
叶 嘿
Yek Keak!
是你们 进来吧
You guys, come on in.
我们可能会停拍
Uh, and then we'll probably cut.
因为我们得清理工作室 并重新限制
Because we have to clear the studio room and reset our blocking.
你准备好了 我们就开拍
Whenever you're ready. Rolling?
但不管《逃避者》会带来什么 即使过了这么多年之后
But whenever Shirkers comes up, even after all these years,
我们还是坠入了同一层地狱
we descend into the same circle of hell.
这是典型的作风 你会把任何人都置于放大镜下
This is so typically you that you're gonna put everybody under the magnifying glass
把每个人都放进一个小小的玻璃容器里 除了你自己
and put everyone in a little glass tank terrarium except yourself.
这就是你的一贯作风 你总会
That's how you always do these things, you always...
-比如什么?什么时候? -一直如此
- Like what? Like when? - All the time.
因为就好像是你再找乐子
Because this is like?for your amusement.
我告诉你多少次了 这极度讨厌
How many times can I keep telling you that it was extremely annoying
极度让人失望和让人疲惫不堪
and it was extremely disappointing and it was extremely draining
是人与人之间的关系
and that it was the relationships that drained
而不是电影本身让我们精疲力尽
and not the production itself that exhausted us?
谢谢
Thank you.
这场长达23年的战斗……
This 23-year battle...
对我来说 是双刃剑
um, is a double-edged sword for me,
因为
because...
你 锦佳和我感情深厚
uh, you and Jasmine and I are bonded in a way
我跟其他人 任何人都没这种感情
that I don't share a bond with anyone else.
我不必每天和你说话
I don't have to talk to you every day.
我需要定期和你交谈
I don't have to talk to you, you know, on a regular basis,
但有一种一拍即合的视觉和情感共鸣
but there is that instant sort of very visceral and emotional connection.
你到了之后 送给我这个笔记本
You gave me this notebook when you arrived.
我也有23年没见过它了
So I have I have not seen this for 23 years.
-这是你的笔记本 -这是我的笔记本
- This is your notebook. - This is my notebook.
我在研究和拆分剧本
So I'm analyzing and breaking down the script
寻找象征手法 隐喻和暗示
for, like, symbolism and metaphor and allusions.
这个笔记本包含了我职业的核心内容
This notebook contains the kernel for my profession,
那时的我对此浑然不觉
unbeknownst to me.
第七个场景 内景 在他家 下午
"Scene seven, interior, S's house, afternoon."
我写道“玩具是一个人个性的实体表现”
"The toys would be physical manifestations of her personality.
UH 必须全部用大写
They must reflect, HER"... in all caps.
“她通过自己的梦境来追求永生吗”
"Is she seeking immortality through her dreams?"
瞧 即使在当时 我都在挖掘潜台词
See, even then, I was digging, right, for subtext.
今年秋天 我会担任系主任 任期三年
I'm gonna be chair of the department actually in the fall for three years.
你?你要当系主任了?哇
You? You're gonna be chair of the department? Wow.
你应该说 你可以分享这部电影
You should've said... So you're the chair of Film?
-是的 -瓦萨学院?
- Yeah. - Vassar?
我好像是资历第二老的人 不过总之...
It's like I'm the next senior person, but anyway...
对 接下来怎么办
So, yeah. So what's next?
通过制♥作♥这部电影 我认识到
Making this film, I've come to realize
乔治的鬼魂永远都会对我纠缠不清
that Georges's ghost will never truly leave me.
我懂得了两件事
And I've learned to think:
“没关系”
"That's okay."
这条路会通向另一方 和秘密出版物
Let's wait for the other side. And see what it brings.
20多年来
For more than 20 years,
本一直谈论他被乔治偷走的录音带
Ben talked about the soundtrack that Georges stole from him.
有一天 我终于说
Finally, one day I said,
你为什么不弹给我听能
why don't you just play it for me?
你因为人生中的那个阶段 渴望观看这部电影
You have this affection?towards the film because of the time in your life.
我们为之欢笑 为之痛苦
You know, we laughed about it, we cried about it,
怨声载道
we bitched about it.
很奇怪 因为这部电影并不存在
It's strange because it doesn't exist as a film,
电影精选列表