目的是让小演员罗埋诺飞起来
It was to make our young actor Romaino fly.
但我的剧本里没有这样的飞行场景
But there was no such flying scene in my script.
我问乔治:“我们怎么才能把安全带和绳索处理掉”
"How are we gonna get rid of the harness and the rope?" I asked Georges.
他说:“别担心 有电脑”
"Don't worry," he said, "There's computers."
花了好几个小时拍完这个编造场景后
After the long hours spent trying to film that completely made up scene,
他不小心打开摄像机的盖子
he popped open the camera by mistake.
或许不是意外
Or maybe it wasn't by mistake.
里面没有胶片
And there was no film in it.
25年后
Twenty-five years later...
我不知道他当时是不是 再给我传达一则只有我能懂的讯息
I'm now wondering if he was sending me a secret message only I would understand.
我的剧本里有一场戏 哈里欧发现
There's a scene in my script where Haryo discovers
S的摄像机里没有胶片
there's no film in S's camera.
她告诉他:“没关系 因为当你透过那个洞观看
She tells him, "It doesn't matter, because when you look through the hole
按下按钮 就会捕捉到东西
and go 'click' it catches something
至少你大脑捕捉到了东西
or at least your mind?catches something."
你不需要胶片做这件事就能帮你记住
You don't need film. Just the action of doing that helps you remember.
他当时想告诉我什么?
What was he trying to tell me?
不管有没有胶片
"Film or no film,
你必须记住这一点
you must remember this."
他在扮演导演吗?
Was he role-playing as a director?
他只是把这次的电影制♥作♥过程
Did he just view this entire filmmaking venture
当成一次心理练习?
as this psychological exercise?
我们不再是拍摄一部电影的魔法小孩了
We were no longer magical kids who made a movie.
我们只是小孩
We were just kids.
《逃避者》是一部非常自♥由♥的电影 因为你们自己非常自♥由♥
Shirkers is such a free film because you were very free yourself.
你愿意体验和自♥由♥表达你们的思想
It was such a joy that you were willing to experiment
这本身就是一件乐事
and express anything on your mind.
但当我失去《逃避者》后
But when I lost Shirkers,
快乐也离我远去
I lost that too.
别把我扯进去 我拒绝卷入其中
Don't get me in it. I refuse to be part of this thing.
22岁的我为新加坡最大的报纸
I became a terrible 22-year-old film critic
写影评 我糟糕透顶
at the largest newspaper in Singapore.
(塔伦帝诺卓越的粗俗)
(倾听你的内心世界 世界会支持你 观看《贵妇画像》)
(《天生杀人狂》堪称里程碑)
我要求他们让我采访 我所崇拜的偶像们
And I made them let me interview my heroes.
(埃及艳后卷土重来)
一位出版商找到我 让我写一部关于《逃避者》小说化的回忆录
A publisher approached me to write a fictionalized memoir of Shirkers...
但我说我还没准备好
but I said I wasn't ready.
在接下来的几年内 采访人要我谈论《逃避者》
In the years that followed, I said no to interviewers
我都拒绝了
asking me to talk about Shirkers.
我只是想忘掉这件事
It was something I just wanted to forget.
《逃避者》拍摄完成五年后
Exactly five years after Shirkers wrapped...
锦佳的办公室收到一个神秘的包裹
a mysterious package arrived at Jasmine's office.
是乔治卡东那寄来的录像带
They were videotapes from Georges Cardona,
这就意味着里面是《逃避者》
which had to mean they contained Shirkers.
我记得 也许不准确
I remember, maybe incorrectly,
当时大家都欣喜若狂
that it was a very kind of joyous occasion.
苏菲 我和你会来……
Sophie, me and you were going to come...
在我上班的地方 对
It was at my workplace, yeah.
我们准备一起看这些录像带
And we were gonna watch these tapes.
结果这些录像带
Then they all turned out to be...
为什么只是雪花点?
Was it all just snow?
似乎什么也没有
Like there was really nothing.
我想 太残酷了
And I thought, "How cruel."
我是说 他为何还要玩这种心理游戏?
I mean, what stakes did he still have in this mind game?
把东西给我们 让我们把电影做完
Give us the material so we can finish the film.
我们无法相信情况有多荒谬
We couldn't believe how ridiculous the situation was.
多离奇 无法想象
So surreal, so unimaginable.
(真是个王八蛋)
我对乔治愤怒万分
I was beyond furious with Georges,
但我的怒火无从发泄
but there was nowhere for me to direct my rage.
所以我把一切都写了下来
So I wrote it all down.
(信封里的秘密计划)
我使用烟幕技术和漂亮的剪辑手法
"I envisage some measure?of a showdown...
(《他们称她为王埃及艳后》1978年)
设想出影片的最终结局
...with pyrotechnics and slick editing."
就我看来
As far as I'm concerned,
他应该消失在深远的亚马逊丛林中 他罪有应得
he should disappear deep and far into the Amazon jungle, where he belongs,
与他的同类 长着龅牙的蟒蛇在一起
amongst his distinct relation, the buck-toothed boa.
卑鄙小人
Lowlife."
我们强迫自己重新开始
We forced ourselves to move on.
我的小堂弟耀
My baby cousin Yao...
给我这本蚊子收藏册
gave me this book of mosquitoes.
不过我的小堂弟堂妹 已经不再是小孩子了
But my baby cousins were no longer babies.
你什么都看不到了
You can't see anything.
我欣然接受 我人生的一部分会永远消失
I made my peace that a chunk of my life would forever be lost.
我搬到纽约
And I moved to New York...
去哥伦比亚大学读电影学院
to attend film school at Columbia University.
我知道我是反着来的
I know I was doing things backwards.
我先拍了一部电影
First I made a movie,
然后成为影评家
then I became a film critic,
然后才去念电影学院
then I went to film school.
不过当你失去地图后 就会发生这种事
But that's what happens when you no longer have a map.
我在荒野里度过了十年
I spent ten years in the wilderness.
我试着写
I tried to write that book...
关于制♥作♥《逃避者》的书
about the making of Shirkers.
不过我还是无法起笔
But I just couldn't do it.
相反 我写了一些电影剧本 这些剧本永远不会被搬到屏幕
Instead, I wrote screenplays for films that would never be made.
《逃避者》现在成了一个遥远的记忆
Shirkers was now a distant memory.
然后它开始向我发送求救信♥号♥♥
Then it began sending me distress signals.
看《青春年少》时 我听到了砰砰声
I heard these pings?when I saw Rushmore.
(赫曼J布鲁姆 海洋观测站)
在《幽灵世界》里
And I heard them again...
我再次听到这些声音
during Ghost World.
然后再度沉寂
Then silence once more.
不过我现在知道它又复活了
But I knew now that it was alive.
我知道我们会再次相遇
And I knew we had to meet again.
突然间 我发现30多岁的自己
Suddenly, I found myself in my mid-30s,
偏偏来到洛杉矶
in Los Angeles, of all places.
我决定转向创作小说
I decided to turn to fiction.
因为写小说的话 我不需要等待任何人
Because to write a novel, I didn't have to wait for anyone.
只是我
It's just me...
和我的幽灵
and my ghosts.
(选择故事 而不是媒体)
我的小说《黑岛》
My novel, The Black Isle, was the story
讲述的是一个拥有超能力的女孩
of a young woman with extraordinary powers
她迷恋一个极富魅力却邪恶的男人
who falls under the influence of a charismatic, but sinister man.
写作这本小说就好像驱魔一样
Writing it felt like an exorcism.
不过我错了
But I would be wrong about that.
2011年9月11日
On September 11, 2011,
我收到一封电子邮件 来自一个熟悉的名字
I received an email from a familiar name.
是乔治的太太
It was Georges's wife.
她说乔治死了
She said Georges was dead.
她也告诉我 她发现了70盒标有《逃避者》的胶片
She also told me she had found 70 cans of film
它们都保存完好
labeled Shirkers, and that they were all in perfect condition.
我感觉一个持续了20年的诅咒终于被解除了
I felt as if a curse, which lasted 20 years, had finally been lifted.
他的遗孀给我寄来一盒盒我好多年没见过的东西
His widow sent me box after box of things I hadn't seen in years.
乔治保留了所有的东西
Georges had kept everything.
我拿出一些在他的工作室里拍摄的一些胶片
I pulled out some of the slides that were taken in his studio.
还有凯琳
And there was Kaylene,
扮演魔鬼的那个女孩
the girl who played Monster,
她周围都是我的东西
surrounded by my stuff.
为什么乔治保留着《逃避者》
Now why would Georges keep?everything...
所有的东西?
from Shirkers?
他甚至代表剧组写了这封信
He even wrote this letter on behalf of the crew.
“目前该片正在剪辑中”
"At the moment, the film is in the editing suite.
不过我们很快就要完成了
But we are almost there.
《逃避者》会在♥十♥月♥份完成
Shirkers will be completed by October,
但愿能赶上戛纳
hopefully in time for Cannes Festival.
祝你今天愉快
Have a nice day."
(马萨诸塞州 剑桥)
乔治和他的故事太不寻找了 很难给他定位
Georges and his stories were so exotic that he was very hard to place.
(格蕾丝戴恩马祖尔乔治20世纪80年代的朋友)
我记得刚开始 他从头到尾讲述电影
I remember first he started describing movies from start to finish.
然后他开始讲述他自己的人生故事
电影精选列表