Say something.
我要涂颜色
I'm going to color.
如果他们必须长大 那就要与众不同
Or if they had to grow up, to grow up different.
我恨我的家人
歇斯底里好过平庸
"Hysterical" was superior to "ordinary."
我恨你
I hate you.
即使沮丧都好过平庸
Even "depressed" was superior to "ordinary."
脏狗都不是好东西
You no good mangy mutt!
你真蠢
You're stupid.
很久以前 1991年初 我们去上电影制♥作♥课
A long time ago, in early '91, we took the filmmaking class,
变电站艺术中心
或许是这里的第一个电影制♥作♥课程
probably the first filmmaking class available here.
在这间教室和隔壁的教室里
In this classroom and the adjoining classroom as well.
有很多人 你 我
So there was a whole bunch?of us, you, me,
各式各样奇怪的人
a whole strange assortment of persons.
我们的老师叫乔治卡 东那 猜不出他的年龄和背景
Our teacher was Georges Cardona, a man of unplaceable age and origin.
我觉得你们应该拍一部电影 讲述一个
I think we ought to make a film?about the guy
深谙新加坡关注度的人
who measures the visibility in Singapore.
他声称自己是一位美国的电影制♥作♥人
He projected himself to be an American filmmaker,
教导我们这群毫无判断力的 18 19岁的年轻人
and was there to teach us, impressionable 18, 19 year-olds,
如何在新加坡进行电影制♥作♥
about film production in Singapore.
我们在班上遇到了苏菲
We met Sophie at the class.
苏菲西迪基哈维电影课程学生
她非常友好 稳重和可靠
She was so nice and stable and trustworthy.
我不确定我和她是否会成为好朋友
I wasn't sure she would make a good friend.
乔治让我们三个
Georges brought the three of us,
苏菲 锦佳和我进入他的核心圈子
Sophie, Jasmine and me into his inner circle.
西西丽雅管理者录像带店
Cecilia runs a video bordello.
我对乔治的第一印象是
My impression of Georges, uh,
他的眼睛闪耀着金属般的光泽
first and foremost, was his eyes, very metallic.
冷漠的蓝色双眸
It was almost ice, icy blue.
他说话时语气沉重 缓慢而又有节奏
He spoke in a very slow, calm, measured tones.
我记得 即使在那个时候
And I just remember, even at that point,
你能感觉到这种不和谐
this kind of dissonance, you know,
他的眼睛看上去很冷漠
the eyes seemed so cold
但行为举止却很热情
but his demeanor seemed so warm.
他有本事让你觉得
And he had this ability
当他跟你讲话时
that when he spoke to you,
你会感觉到他只关注你
you felt that you were his sole focus.
跟我在新加坡认识的其他成年人相比 乔治完全不同
Georges was like no other adult I knew in Singapore.
他喜欢只是坐着 看光的变化
He liked to just sit and watch the light change.
他带我们去拍摄丰富多彩的印度节目
He took us to shoot colorful Hindu festivals
我的家人觉得那些活动很可怕
that my family would have found frightening.
他谈论电影的方式跟我不谋而合
He talked about movies the way I wanted to talk about movies.
他喜欢法国新浪潮
He loved the French New Wave.
我很快也喜欢上了
And soon, so did I.
晚上九点或十点 电影课结束后
When the film class ended at nine or ten at night...
我们和乔治一起开车在岛上兜风
we would drive around the island with Georges.
我们总是在外面待到很晚 尽管我们知道他有老婆和孩子
We kept him out late, even though we knew he had a wife and a baby
在家里等他
waiting for him at home.
我大声嚷嚷
And I barked.
听到蟋蟀的声音了吗?
Can you hear the crickets?
我们去找创意
We went looking for ideas.
我们去找野狗
We went looking for wild dogs.
砰
Bang!
你在拍摄吗?
Were you rolling?
是的
Yeah.
善治 我不知道你喜欢这个
Sandi, I didn't know you were into this.
闭嘴 我今天心情不美丽
Oh, stop it! I'm not in the mood tonight.
配乐不错
Nice soundtrack.
快点
Hurry up.
我们在大声讲话
We're speaking loudly.
所有的情侣们被我们激怒了 他们离开了这里
And all the lovers are sort of aggravated with us and they have cleared the area.
他是我第一个真正心智成熟的男性朋友
He was my first friend who was a grown man.
他选择了我们
He picked us.
但他让我们觉得是我们选了他
But he let us feel like we picked him.
那些开车夜游的经历 跟我的梦境融为一体
Those night drives bled into my dreams.
我当然想拍一部公路电影
Of course I wanted to make a road movie.
然而 我离开了 去一个陌生冰冷的地方
Instead, I went away to a strange, cold place.
英格兰
England.
坎特伯雷肯特大学 学生证
我本以为我会找到自己的同类
I thought I would find my tribe.
但我反倒与他们渐行渐远
But I had left them.
锦佳去了纽约……
Jasmine went to New York...
苏菲去了洛杉矶
Sophie went to LA...
乔治则留在新加坡
And Georges stayed in Singapore.
我感觉孤零零的
I felt so stranded.
全身心投入
I poured all of myself...
给乔治和锦佳
into letters to Georges...
写信
And Jasmine.
就像一部公路电影 和个人黑帮电影
乔治不写信或发邮件
Georges didn't write letters or emails.
在极很少数的情况下
On very rare occasions,
他寄给我录有他声音的录音带
he sent me tape recordings of his voice.
你现在在做什么?
What are you doing now?
嗯…
Um...
打算复活节的时候去美国
Thinking of going to the US in Easter.
租辆车 在美国旅行……
And renting a car, then traveling through the US...
从新奥尔良一路到阿肯色
for all the way from New Orleans to Arkansas.
他邀请锦佳和我一起去
He invited Jasmine and me to join him.
没有什么比美国的公路之旅更让我兴奋的了
There were few things that excited me more than the idea of an American road trip.
我心想 让法国新浪潮见鬼去吧 我们要为自己的电影而活
I thought, "Fuck the French New Wave, we're going to live our own movie."
陈善治
一个卖♥♥牙刷的人
Sandi Tan, the only child
和一个在太平间工作的人唯一的孩子
of a toothbrush salesman and a worker in a mortuary.
两岁的时候 善治父母双亡
Sandi was parentless from age two.
黄锦佳
新加坡牛车水
Jasmine Ng, the eldest daughter
一个黑帮主要人物的长女
of a mafia kingpin in Singapore's Chinatown,
和一个脑子不是很清楚的 家庭主妇
and a feeble-minded housewife.
乔治卡东那 89岁的哑巴
Georges Cardona is 89 years old and mute.
没有别的信息
No other info available.
锦佳却不这么认为
Jasmine didn't see it that way.
最后 只有我去了
In the end, only I went.
你应该来这里 混♥蛋♥
我飞到洛杉矶和乔治碰头
I flew to Los Angeles to meet Georges.
我们一起开车到旧金山 选择了漫长但沿途风景宜人的公路
He and I drove to San Francisco, taking the slowest, most scenic roads.
即使在当时 我也知道这一切看起来是怎么回事
Even back then I knew how it looked.
我与一个已婚年龄是我两倍的男人同行
I was on the road with a married man more than twice my age.
所以我没告诉任何人
So I didn't tell anyone.
他给我信♥号♥♥
He gave me signals,
奇怪的信♥号♥♥ 我们进行深夜谈话
strange signals, late night conversations
他说大家都以为我们是恋人
where he told me people thought we were lovers.
一天晚上 他要我摸他的肚皮
And then one night, he invited me to touch his belly.
我没理他
I just ignored him.
甚至想起来 我都觉得不舒服
It disturbed me to even think about it.
我们都假装什么也没发生
And we both pretended it never happened.
接下来我们开车去他长大的地方 新奥尔良
Then we drove to New Orleans where he grew up.
童话梦工厂
乔治带我参观美国南方 那里有苔藓 虫子和鬼故事
Georges was showing me the South, with its moss and bugs and ghost stories.
这里把他熏陶成了一位艺术家
This was the place where he had transformed himself into an artist.
他告诉我 他12岁时
He told me how when he was 12,
亲眼目睹他哥哥在母亲的膝盖上流血而死
he watched his older brother bleed to death on their mother's lap.
他告诉我 杰恩曼斯菲尔德如何在一场车祸中丧生
He told me how when Jayne Mansfield was killed in a car accident...
它的脑袋掉下来 滚到他坐的车跟前
her decapitated head rolled over to where he was in his car.
他告诉我 在电影《性 谎言和录像带》中 詹姆斯斯派德所
He told me he was the inspiration for James Spader's character
扮演的角色 其灵感来自于他
in Sex, Lies, and Videotape.
我需要转移注意力 不再想这趟旅行
Something to take my mind off this trip.
于是我就...
So I was just...
我就..
I just...
我就在飞机上做了
I just did it on the plane.
不管他的故事是否真实
Whether his stories were actually true
好像并不是重点
seemed beside the point.
我喜欢他讲故事的方式
I loved his storytelling,
他的故事让时间、地点和真♥相♥
and how his stories made time and place and truth
电影精选列表