很久以前 我18岁时
When I was 18, a long time ago now,
我觉得在脑海中营造各种世界 就会获得自♥由♥
I had the idea that you found freedom by building worlds inside your head.
只有后退 才能前行
That you had to go backwards in order to go forwards.
小孩对一切事物都有答案
That little kids had the answers to everything.
18岁时 我想法很多
When I was 18, I had so many ideas,
几乎无法入眠
I hardly slept at all.
1992年夏天
In the summer of 1992,
朋友们和我在新加坡的街上 拍摄了一部公路电影
my friends and I shot a road movie on the streets of Singapore...
这部电影原本会成为都市传奇
that was to become?a kind of urban legend.
片名叫《逃避者》
That movie was called Shirkers,
这个词的字面 意思是“逃跑”
a word which means "running away,
逃避责任
avoiding responsibility,
逃离
escape."
我是编剧兼女主角
I wrote the script and played the heroine,
扮演一个16岁的杀手 叫S
a 16-year-old killer named S.
在新加坡 从来没人拍这种电影
Nobody was making movies like that in Singapore.
所以 我们堪称先行者
So, we were pioneers.
这部电影仿佛是新加坡的时间舱
The film was a time capsule?of a Singapore
既现实又虚幻
that was both real and imaginary.
当时 我梦寐以求要拍电影
Back then, the thing I wanted more than anything was to make a movie.
但我从未想到会是这种结局
But I never imagined it would end this way.
25年后 我踏上一段奇异的后搠之旅
Twenty-five years later, I find myself on a strange backward journey,
重演过去 寻找线索
replaying the past for clues.
好吧 我听了你在房♥间里录制的带子
Okay, I listened to your tape that you did in your room.
我超爱的 能成为你的挚友 我感觉很好
I loved it. I like being your best friend.
你是我的挚友
You're my best friend.
知道你在身边 我感觉很好
I like knowing that you're around.
知道我们心有灵犀
I like knowing that we're connected,
患难与共 我感觉很好
that we're partners in crime.
再给我制♥作♥一盘带子 拜托了
Make me another tape, please.
我想你
I miss you.
我懂得了不再思考那段时间……
I learned to stop thinking about that time...
假装什么也没发生过……
to pretend it never happened...
当然 这不可能
which was, of course, impossible.
《逃避者》变成了一段秘密历史
Shirkers became a secret history,
只有我们一小撮人知道
shared by a small group of us.
让我们魂牵梦萦
And it would haunt us
紧密相连
and bond us
又苦苦折磨我们
and tear us apart.
-准备好就开始 -已经好了
- Whenever you're ready. - Now.
黄锦佳 童年好友
成为朋友之前 我和锦佳水火不容
Jasmine and I were enemies before we were friends.
你当我是敌人 但我不知道我是否也这样想
You thought I was an enemy, but I don't know if I thought you were an enemy.
对
Uh, yeah.
14岁以前 我们一直敌视彼此
We stayed enemies until we were 14.
我们是20世纪80年代长大的...
When we were growing up?in the 1980s...
传播礼貌 请先微笑
政♥府♥和家人总是跟你过不去
the state and the family were constantly in your face.
一个民族 一个国家 一个新加坡
沉默是金 微笑
当时 新加坡管制严格 政♥府♥甚至禁止嚼口香糖
Singapore was so uptight, its government even banned chewing gum.
如果美国人相信 自己很优越
If Americans believe?they are exceptional,
我告诉你
let me tell you,
新加坡人则知道我们很优越
Singaporeans know we are exceptional.
1965年 新加坡只是个炎热小岛
A sweaty little island in 1965,
到2000年 新加坡已成为全球最富有的国家之一
Singapore became one of the richest countries in the world by the year 2000.
我和锦佳14岁那年
When Jasmine and I were 14,
我们发现了小众电影和非主流音乐
we discovered unusual movies and unpopular music.
我们都是异类 成为闺蜜
And as weirdos, we became best friends.
我俩的成长背景大相径庭
We came from very different backgrounds...
锦佳的爸爸 妈妈
但我们俩却是死党
but we were thick as thieves.
我发誓我们是科恩姐妹
我家境不好
My family was intense.
在我出生前 我父母的婚姻就破裂了
My parents' marriage was collapsing even before I was born,
所以我是祖父母带大的
and so I was raised by my grandparents.
下雨候 我们房♥子前面的草坪看起来像巧克力牛奶
When it rained, our front lawn looked like chocolate milk.
1981年 我祖父坚持要拍照
In 1981, my grandfather insisted on having these pictures taken...
因为他心爱的房♥子就要被拆掉了
because his beloved house was about to be torn down.
1985年 这栋房♥子的旧址上新建了公♥寓♥
In 1985, the house was replaced by this condo.
虽然仍会有积水 但再也不像巧克力牛奶了
It still flooded, but it was no longer chocolate milk.
家人期盼我出类拔萃
I was always expected to shine.
这令人精疲力竭
Which was exhausting.
我需要发泄
I needed a way out.
所以 我当然会喜欢锦佳的家人
So, of course, I liked Jasmine's family.
他们热情 随和
They were warm and undemanding
我们在锦佳的房♥间搭建稀奇古怪的神砻 他们也无所谓
and didn't care?if we built crazy shrines in Jasmine's room.
我们有戏剧之王……
We had the God of Theater...
剧本创作女神
and the Goddess of Scriptwriting.
我们打扮成护士去上学
We showed up at school dressed up as nurses.
我还挑战电影协会权威
And I challenged the authorities at the Film Society.
亲爱的善治:我们会尽力获取你所要求的电影
We will certainly try to acquire the films you've requested.
我迫切想拍电影
I desperately wanted to make movies.
我假想自己是电影制♥作♥人 进行虚拟采访
I gave imaginary interviews as imaginary filmmakers.
嗨 我想为你介绍一下我的电影
Hi, I would like to share with you my movie
《魔力火脑》绝对原创
Magic Fire Brain, which, uh, is completely original.
有很多群众场景
There were lots of crowd scenes.
我认真阅读《美国电影》和《影评》杂♥志♥
I read American Film and Film Comment religiously.
但不想点办法 我根本看不到这些电影
But it was impossible to see these movies unless I got very creative.
我跟在佛罗里达的堂姐微琪一起
I established a clandestine videotaping syndicate
成立了一个秘密录像带联合会
with my cousin Vicki in Florida...
就是为了我能观看《蓝丝绒》
just so I could watch Blue Velvet.
《蓝丝绒》1986年
周围的人根本不在意的东西 锦佳和我却看得津津有味
Jasmine and I devoured what people around us ignored.
14岁时 我们开始给《大O》写稿
We started writing for BigO,
这是新加坡一家地下摇滚小众杂♥志♥
Singapore's underground rock zine, when we were 14.
《大O》是谢福龙创办的 他总是一本正经
BigO was run by Philip Cheah, in all his poker-faced glory,
他给我们制♥作♥帕蒂史密斯和地下丝绒的带子
and he would make us tapes of Patti Smith and The Velvet Underground
他针对这些带子对我们进行测试 然后才准我们加入他们的社团
and quiz us on them before he would let us join their club.
新加坡 对音乐和电影有着严格的审查制度
In Singapore, you had very strict censorship across music and film.
谢福龙 《大O》杂♥志♥ 编辑
许多伟大的经典专辑仍然被禁
A lot of the great classic albums were still banned.
我们看到在英国和美国发生的革命
We saw the revolution that took place in the UK and in the US,
我们想知道这是否会在这里发生
and we wondered whether that could actually happen here.
我们为《大O》创作了详尽的拼图
We created elaborate collages for BigO,
他们都非常讨厌
which they all hated.
对他们来讲 我们可能太年轻无知了
I think we were way too punk for them.
他们只是个糟糕的男生社团而已
They were a lame boy's club anyway.
所以总是我们
So it was always us...
跟这个世界抗衡
against the world.
我们最大的成就之一 就是用国家图书馆的复印机 出版自己的
Our greatest achievement was publishing our own zine, The Exploding Cat...
小众杂♥志♥《爆♥炸♥猫》
on the photocopier at the National Library.
我们试图借助《爆♥炸♥猫》来记载让我们感到愤怒
Exploding Cat was our attempt to catalog everything that angered us,
和开心的一切东西
that made us laugh.
卡在马桶里的女人
我感觉...好奇怪 我的脑袋要...开始...晕了
这只猫变得出名了
The Cat became its own thing.
我们收到各地来信 纽约 伦敦
We received letters from New York, London...
巴黎 耶路撒冷
Paris, Jerusalem,
甚至还有来自三个不同国家的监狱来信
even prisons in three different states.
最重要的是……
Above all...
它也是我们的写照
it was a catalog of us.
我
Me,
我的朋友们
my friends,
我们这个位于世界中心的小岛
our tiny island in the center of the world,
在1989年 绘制我们自己的
charting our own destiny...
命运
in 1989.
下一个故事是 第39章
The next story is chapter 39.
等等 还有一件事
Hang on, just one more thing.
那时候 我沉迷于《麦田里的守望者》
Back in those days, I was obsessed with The Catcher in the Rye...
《麦田里的守望者》是美国作家杰罗姆·大卫·塞林格创作的唯一一部长篇小说
和塞林格关于拯救儿童的想法
and Salinger's idea of saving children.
所以我教导 我的小堂弟堂妹们永远别长大
So I trained my baby cousins to never grow up.
...人们讲话
...people talk.
-嘿 -干嘛
- Wen... - Yes.
说句话
电影精选列表