而且 他会和我谈话 我会记录下来
and he would talk to me. I would record it,
然后我会回到家里 根据这个记录写一部剧本
and then I would go home and make a film script out of it.
有一男二女
There was a man and two women, uh,
一个坚强冷漠的女人 名叫奥德丽
a tough, hard-boiled woman named?Audrey...
还有一个可爱的亚洲人 名叫谢莉
and a sweet Asian named Chelly.
这个男人对奥德丽如痴如醉
And this man obsesses about Audrey
而且
and is...
在她的不知情的情况下在她的公♥寓♥里对她进行拍摄
videotaping her without her knowing in her apartment.
我总觉得乔治喜欢偷♥窥♥
There was a constant feeling of Peeping Tom -ism to Georges.
乔治从来没主动勾引过我
He never came on to me, personally.
我想从另一方面来说 乔治很擅长和女人打交道
I think Georges was good with women in another way.
我想他可以从她们身上 得到他想要的东西
I think he could get from them what he wanted,
他想要的并不总是性♥爱♥
and what he wanted wasn't always sex.
他让我为了他的梦而努力
He got me to work on his dreams
大概持续了4到5年的时间
for probably four or five years
而不是写我的东西
instead of writing my own stuff.
我一直迷惑不解
It's always been a mystery.
天啊 怎么
Good Lord. How...
我怎么变成了实习生?
Uh, how did I become an intern?
他通过这种神奇的方式来帮助你
He had this really uncanny way of helping you
感觉你可以实现你的梦想计划
feel like you could achieve your dream project,
但是当你更接近实现你的梦想计划的时候
but then when you got closer to achieving your dream project,
他有必要破坏它
he felt the need to sabotage it.
所以我写了一部 《最后一次睡衣派对》的虐杀片
So I wrote this slasher film called The Last Slumber Party.
这本该是灯塔媒体中心小组
And it was meant to be kind of the culmination,
研究生院的一个高♥潮♥
the graduate school of the Lighthouse Media Center group.
乔治是摄影指导 而且是
Georges was the director of photography, but also...
大♥师♥
the guru.
多年之后 我有了一些可以任意支配的收入
So years later, I had some discretionary income
我可以投入到我的电影制♥作♥中去
that I could put back into my filmmaking.
我从孟菲斯的一家电影实验室 购买♥♥了胶片
So I ordered all the film negative from Motion Picture Labs in Memphis,
乔治曾经把影片送到这里
which is where Georges had sent the film,
乔治和这些人保持了很多年的关系
and Georges had an ongoing relationship for years with these people.
除了一些胶片丢失外
Except that some of the negative was missing.
我感觉是乔治搞的鬼
I have a feeling that Georges did something with it.
我无法证明 但确实和他做过的
I can't prove it, but it certainly would not be inconsistent
其他事情不谋而合
with other things that he had done.
我知道 对别人的不幸感到快乐
I know it's terrible to feel a twinge of joy
是一件可怕的事
at someone else's misfortune,
但听了这番话 我感到自己并非形单影只
but hearing this made me feel less alone.
我和乔治的遗孀 继续寻找她和乔治生活中的残留物
The widow and I continue to search for remnants of her life with Georges.
开车真是个噩梦
It's a nightmare driving.
已经来过这里 但我找不到了
Been this way already and I can't find it.
你们可能没有意识到这让我有多开心
You all might not realize how happy
我不记得它在那里了
this makes me that I can't even remember where it was.
我本希望和她驾车同行可以让我更接近他
I hoped that by driving around with her I'd get closer to him.
但她走进的都是死胡同
But all she had were dead ends.
他有这样一种想打造神话的变♥态♥需要
He had this perverse need to create a mythology.
揣测乔治为什么要四处声称
To speculate as to why Georges would go around
他是史蒂文索德伯格
claiming that he was the inspiration
电影《性,谎言和录像带》中主角的灵感来源
for the protagonist in?Steven Soderbergh's Sex, Lies, and Videotape...
我和挚友的好友拉里布拉克
I worked on the crew of Sex, Lies, and Videotape,
一起在《性,谎言和录像带》的剧组工作过
with my?dear, beloved best friend Larry Blake,
他也是乔治卡东那初始团队中的一员
also part of the original Georges Cardona mafia.
乔治受到嫉妒
And Georges felt jealous,
受到威胁 被人孤立觉得自己理应获得一切
threatened, left out, entitled,
他手下两个
that two of his prot¨¦g¨¦s
参与制♥作♥这部电影的门徒
had this association with this film
成为轰动一时的事件
that had become a cause c¨¦l¨¨bre.
这部影片获得金棕榈奖 我们都参与其中
We all worked on this film that won the Palme d'Or.
这完全符合乔治斯的个性和性格
And it's entirely in keeping with Georges's personality and character,
据我所知 乔治会编造这样一个故事 完全符合个性和特点
as I understand it, that he would concoct such a story.
多年来 我们一直试图跟他取得联♥系♥
When we were trying to get hold of him over the years,
但无迹可寻
like, there would be no trace.
只有这个失踪人员
The only thing that's on there is this missing persons...
对我来说 看到他抽烟
That was, to me, the most bizarre thing,
是最诡异的事 以为我从没见到过他抽烟
to see him smoking, 'cause I never saw him smoke.
而且他身上从来没闻到过烟味
And he never smelled like smoke.
-是的 -太奇怪了 他居然抽烟
- Yeah. - That's so weird, he smoked.
我觉得这点很搞笑 看到他抽烟的样子 感到震惊
I think it's funny that she was struck by the sight of him smoking,
有人上网 为他开设了一个寻人启事的页面
and not by the fact that someone went online
他却视而不见
and put up a Missing Persons page for him.
什么是真 什么是假 我毫无头绪
You know, what was real and what wasn't, I have no clue.
-他说他妈妈是法国人-是吗?
- He did say his mother was French. - Was she?
-我不知道 -但你见过她 她是法国人吗?
- I don't know. - But you met her, was she French?
我无法跟她沟通 她只会说西班牙语
Well, I couldn't speak to her, she only spoke Spanish.
他从来没告诉过我他是法国人 如果说过 我会记得的
He never told me he was French. I would have remembered that.
他告诉我他出生在一艘船上
I mean, he told me that he was born on a ship
那艘船离开了德国 前往哥伦比亚
that had departed Germany en route for Colombia,
离开德国是因为他的父亲是德国人
departing Germany because his father was German.
长久以来 我一直对此深信不疑
And I just accepted that as gospel for the longest time
直到有一天 我和他的侄女 卡塔利娜谈话
until one day, I was having a conversation with his niece Catalina,
她开始大笑起来
and she started laughing.
我说 “怎么了?有什么好笑的?”
I said, "Why? What's so funny?"
她说 “他也跟你说过这个故事吗?”
She says, "He told you that story too?"
他是在哥伦比亚山区的一个小山村里出生的
He was born in a little mountain village in the hills of Colombia.
他总是对自己的阶级成分
There was always a sense that he was not just self-conscious
有很强的自我意识
about perceptions of his class,
对他的种族也是如此
but also his ethnicity.
他总是对自己的种族背景含糊其辞
He was always very vague about his ethnicity.
我最后一次跟乔治谈话
The last time I actually?spoke with Georges...
是在90年代早期
was sometime in the early '90s
他已经搬到新加坡了 我还在新奥尔良
and he had already moved to Singapore and I was still here in New Orleans.
就像往常一样
And as was invariably the case,
乔治开始谈论他编造的梦想项目
Georges began talking?about a dream project that he was concocting.
他想让我参与其中
And he wanted me to be part of it,
就是在新加坡拍这部电影
and it was making this movie in Singapore.
(他声称他是《现代启示录》的制片经理)
“来新加坡吧 你会是我的得力助手”
"Come to Singapore, you'll be my right-hand man.
我们将在新加坡拍这部电影”
We'll do this feature film in Singapore."
(制片经理 斯蒂文泰勒)
门徒的成功
The pattern that emerges is that Georges
让乔治感到威胁
would feel threatened by his prot¨¦g¨¦s being successful.
这种模式就开始浮现 他对付这种威胁的方式就是采取行动
And the way that he dealt with that threat was to take action
把这些人梦寐以求的实体材料带走 逃之夭夭
by absconding with physical manifestations of these people's dreams.
在你的案例中是电影 在我的案例中是拍摄器材
You know, in your case it was film, in my case it was film and equipment.
其他的人的案例中 也有电影 配乐或者类似的东西
Other people, it was also film, soundtracks, whatever.
我和史蒂文和我紧密相连
Steve and I are now forever bound,
不是共同受害者 而是作为侦探搭档
not as fellow victims, but as fellow detectives...
因此也是朋友
and therefore, friends.
(乔治卡东那 格林利夫街 33号♥ 新加坡27)
我有乔治的最后一条线索
I had one last shred of Georges:
来自乔治的母亲寄来的一封旧信 回复地址是位于新奥尔良之外的
an old letter from Georges's mother with a return address in Arabi,
阿♥拉♥比
outside New Orleans.
很漂亮
It's beautiful.
乔治的遗孀企图劝说我们不要去那里
The widow tried to talk us out of going there.
我可以告诉你 阿♥拉♥比不是个好地方
I can tell you Arabi is not pretty.
好吧
Okay.
阿♥拉♥比很糟糕
Arabi is horrible.
所以 当然了 我一定要去那里
So, of course, I had to go there.
现在没有下雨 所以还好
It's not raining now so it's good.
你需要这个地图册吗?
Do you need this, the matte box?
这让我想到了《春光乍现》中的一个场景
And this made me think of that scene in Blow Up,
大卫海明斯回到犯罪现场后
when David Hemmings returns to the scene of the crime...
结果却一无所获
only to find nothing.
把乔治卡东那 一层层地剥皮后
After unpeeling Georges Cardona layer by layer,
我意识到 除了电影什么都没有
I realize there's nothing there but movies.
他想要模仿一些角色
There were characters he wanted to emulate.
他想假装成一些角色
And there were characters he pretended to be.
单和他本身最接近的诺斯费拉图
But the one who was closest to who he really was...
这也是他是真是本色
was Nosferatu.
(《诺斯费拉图》:夜晚的幽灵 1979年)
电影精选列表