Ljust want you to see it the way I saw it. I am trying, okay?
我只想让你看到我看到的样子 -我在尝试
everything we're putting in that box comes ungrounded.
我们放进箱子里的一切东西 都变得不可捉摸
And I don't mean grounded to the earth, I mean not tethered.
我不是指它没有接地 我是指它不受约束
We're blocking whatever keeps it moving forward, so they flipflop.
我们拦截了所有让它向前 运动的因素 它就原地振动
Inside the box, it's like a street, and both ends are culdesacs.
箱子里面就像一条大街 两头都是死路
This isn't frame dragging or wormhole matching. It's basic mechanics and heat.
这不是虫洞匹配 只是基本的力学和热力学
This is not mechanics and heat.
这不是力学和热力学
We can publish. Yeah, we can publish.
我们可以发表了 是的 我们可以发表
No, I mean we can really publish.
不 我是说我们真的能发表
Aaron, the Weeble's stupid. It can't move.
亚伦 数组是个笨蛋 不能动的
even if we were to put the Weeble in at point b...
即使我们从B端点让数组进入
it's still going to bounce back and forth until it's kicked out at the b end.
它仍然会往返运动 直到从B端点退出
But if it were smart...
但如果它聪明一点的话
it could enter at the b end and exit at the A end before it flips back.
可以从B端点进入 在它折返以前从A端点退出
You're talking about making a bigger one.
你是说要做一个更大的机器
I didn't say anything. You're the one talking about it.
我什么都没说 是你自己说的
So, you believe me?
那么 你相信我吗?
No, I don't.
我不信
Come on. Let's go get a drink or something.
我们去喝点东西吧
We're going to have to move it. We will.
我们要搬走它 我们会的
We need a box big enough for a person to fit into. As far as turning it on
我们需要一个足以容纳一个人 的大箱子 只要一开动它
I was testing the box. It turns out over half the rings are redundant.
我只是测试箱子 结果证明 超过一半的圆圈是多余的
The inner ring is strong enough on its own, so it makes the plate smaller.
内圈本身已经足够坚固 所以使盘子缩小了
A lot more is unnecessary. What we can do...
还有很多不必要的东西
is take a lot of these small plates and surround a container with a web of them.
我们可以用很多这些小盘子 围成一个网状容器
How small?
要多小?
It should be accumulative so a lot of minifields equal one big one, right?
小得可以迭加 使很多小磁场能等于一个大的
Yeah, sum of series, that makes sense.
没错 有道理
What I was going to say is we need to find a place where we can put it...
我们要找个地方放这个箱子
and turn it on and it won't be disturbed.
能开动它而不被♥干♥扰
We could just lock it in a closet.
我们可以把它锁在衣柜里
Someplace where someone's not going to go poking around and messing with it.
一个不会被闲人乱搞的地方
And climatecontrolled.
还要能控制温度
Yeah, so whatever, we'll find some place.
我们一定会找到合适的地方
So, if we go your route with what? A bunch of minifields?
如果我们按你的思路 会得到什么?一束小磁场?
That's a lot of work. We'd have to... I mean, how many days is that?
要做很多工作 我们要多少天?
Abe, you know what we could use?
埃布尔 你知道我们能用什么?
I know we've seen a lot of crazy things lately, okay?
我知道我们最近看到了 很多疯狂事情
I know you're still trying to put it all together in a way that makes sense.
我知道你仍在尝试 把它们组织成合理的解释
Look, ljust want you to understand that what's next is not a prank, okay?
我只想让你知道 接下来发生的不是玩笑 好吗?
I wouldn't do that to you and I'm not doing that to you.
我不想骗你 也不会骗你
So when you see this, you can't yell or make any noise or run anywhere.
所以你看到以后 不要大吵大闹 也不要逃跑
I know you probably feel like you're being tricked or made fun of. But you're not.
我知道你觉得自己正在被愚弄 但其实你不是
I promise you, you're not. Okay?
我答应你 我没有愚弄你 好吗?
Who was that, Abe?
那是谁啊 埃布尔?
Let's just wait. Six minutes.
我们等等吧 6分钟
Look, you sure you're okay to drive?
你肯定你能开车?
What did you do all day? The first time through?
你整天干了什么? 第一次吗?
I spent the day in a hotel room in Russellfield.
我整天都在 拉斯菲尔德的酒店房♥间
I'll just meet you back at the shop. I wonder what I did.
我回店里找你吧 我不知自己做了什么
I guess I went back to work. Yeah, probably.
我想我回去工作了 可能是吧
Probably just worked, I guess.
也许我只是工作
Yeah, probably so.
可能是把
Look, now that I know about this, Abe...
埃布尔 既然我知道了
don't do this again, okay? Not where it affects me.
别再这样做 好吗? 它对我影响太大了
Go ahead.
接电♥话♥吧
Hey, Rachel.
嘿 蕾切尔
Why not the lottery?
为什么不去买♥♥彩票?
We can if you want, but it's not until Saturday.
如果你想买♥♥ 我们会买♥♥的 但周六前不会
And even if we win the full $10 million, that's only $200,000 forthe next 30 years.
即使我们赢了一千万头奖 也三十年内每年20万而已
And that's just one good trade. A couple days like this.
这笔交易也不错啊 就像这样几天
I was just running a test. In and out. I want to do what you did.
我只是在做测试 我要你重新做一次
exactly what you did.
做得一模一样
The first thing I did is call in sick. Okay, I did that.
我首先请了病假 好的 我做了
Then I drove to the storage facility. But I need to drop Lauren at school first.
然后开车去仓库 但我要先送劳伦上学
Then meet me there. We're going to need both cars.
那你在仓库与我会合 我们需要两部车
We need to park yours down the road, out of sight of the facility.
我们要把你的车停在路边 看不到仓库的地方
Why are we doing that? Because we need a ride home.
为什么? 因为我们要开车回家
What is that... It'll make sense.
那么… 会有道理的
Okay, I'll be patient.
好的 我会耐心的
When I got to the storage room, I flooded the box with argon...
我到达储存室后 就用氩气充满箱子
and I had to tighten it up to secure the Ieaks.
我要保证气密 严防泄漏
There's Ieaks? There's always Ieaks.
会泄漏吗? 总是有泄漏的
At 8:30 a.m., I set the timer for 15 minutes...
早上8:30 我把定时器设了15分钟
I jumped in the car, and drove to RusseIlfieId.
然后我上车 开到拉斯菲尔德
Okay, I lost it.
好吧 我不明白了
What? Why the timer?
什么? 为什么要设定时器?
Because the moment we staRT those machines is the moment we'll end up...
因为我们一旦启动那些机器 就得立刻离开
getting out of them, and- Right. Got it. Sorry.
没错 明白了 抱歉
I don't want to be standing around when they do.
我不想在机器运作时站在附近
While I was on the road at 8:45, the machine kicked on by itself...
8:45分 我已经在路上了 机器自己启动了
and by 8:49, it was completely warmed up.
到了8:49 它完全加热了
In RusseIlfieId, I got a hotel room and tried to isolate myself.
在拉斯菲尔德 我订了一个 酒店房♥间 想隔离自己
Wait, what do you mean "isolate"?
等等 “隔离是什么意思?”
I closed the windows, I unplugged everything in the room...
我关上窗户 切断一切电源
the teIephone, tV, clock, radio, everything.
包括电♥话♥ 电视 闹钟 收音机等等
I didn't want to take the chance of running into someone I knew...
我不想碰到认识的人
or seeing something on the news that might...
也不想看到可能影响我的新闻
If we're dealing with causality, and I don't even know for sure.
如果我们要处理因果关系 我自己也不敢确定
I just... What?
我只是… 什么?
Took myself out of the equation. err on the side of caution.
把我自己从方程式中分离 避免犯错
Yes.
是的
Then what did you do all day?
那你整天做了些什么?
I just sat there. I had some books, but... What? Were you nervous?
我光坐在那里.本来有些书 可以看 什么?你紧张吗?
Yeah. It's mindnumbing, all the secondguessing.
是的 我失去了知觉
"evacipate."
开局吧
At 3:30 p.m., I stopped by Williams Medical Supply.
下午3:30 我顺路去了化工店
Picked up a Class e oxygen tank and mask.
买♥♥了一罐氧气和面罩
I called my mutual fund company and asked which stock in their midcap fund...
我打电♥话♥给基金公♥司♥ 问他们当天…
had the greatest percentage gain that day.
利率最高的中型基金是哪一个
The idea was just to get enough information for one good trade.
我想收集足够信息 来做一笔好交易
Can we just download chaRT data and trade on each movement?
我们可以下载图表数据 和在网上交易吗?
But if we do that, I want to use the library in RusseIlfieId, use their computers.
如果我们那样做 我想用拉斯菲尔德的图书馆 用他们的计算机
So, I got to the storage room at about 3:15 and cut off the power to the box.
所以我在3:15回到储存室 切断箱子的电源
It cycled down to a tolerable Ievel at about 3:19.
3:19分 它循环到一个可容忍♥的水平
The trick is to get in after it reaches a comfoRTable IeveI...
技巧是在它达到一个 合适水平时进入
but before it shuts off completely. There's a window there.
但又不能等到它完全关闭 那里有个窗口
So, does it huRT?
那样疼吗?
Yeah, it does a little.
一点点吧
It's not bad if you wait for the right time. It's like a small static shock.
等待适当时机是没错的 就像轻微的电击
Once you're in, you're fine, though. What?
一旦你进去了 就没事了 什么?
I know you've done it, and I can only assume that you don't have...
我知道你搞定了 我只能假设你…
cancer or male impotence.
没有癌症或阳痿
But what is your opinion on how safe this thing is?
但你觉得这东西有多安全?
I can imagine no way in which this thing would be...
我没有任何理由相信…
considered anywhere remotely close to safe.
这部机器是安全的
All I know is I spent six hours in there and I'm still alive.
我只知道我在里面呆了 6个小时 我还活着
You still want to do it?
你还想做吗?
I set the alarm on my stopwatch for six hours.
我在秒表上设了6小时后 敲响闹钟
I regulated the O2 tank, took some dramamine, and tried to sleep.
我装好氧气瓶 吃了点晕海宁 想睡一会儿
Did you?
你睡了吗?
What? Did you sleep?
什么? 你睡了吗?
Not at first. I've never considered myself claustrophobic...
一开始没有 我从来没想过我有幽闭恐惧症
but I staRTed sweating and I couldn't find the right flow rate on the tank...
但我开始流汗 我找不到氧气瓶上的气压计
and I was breathing differently than I was when I was testing it on the outside.
我的呼吸跟我在外面 测试时的呼吸不一样
eventually, I settled down, and...
最终 我安定下来
I don't know, maybe it was the dramamine kicking in, but I remember this moment...
也许是晕海宁发挥药效了 但我记得…
in the dark with the reverberation of the machine.
在那个黑暗的时刻 机器在回响
It was maybe the most content I've ever been.
那是我最满意的时刻
I woke up on my own without the alarm...
我没等闹钟响 自己就醒了