What was impoRTant is that thomas Granger, their last best hope of funding, show up.
最重要的是 托马斯 格兰出现了 他是他们最后的筹款希望
If he Ieft a little earlier than they would've liked, he couldn't be blamed.
如果他早一点走 也不该责怪他
He was only there to please his daughter RacheI.
他只想取悦女儿蕾切尔
And she was only there to please Abe.
而蕾切尔只想取悦埃布尔
What did you say to Mr. Granger a while ago?
你刚才跟格兰先生说了什么?
Did you flip my burger? You can't call him Mr. Granger.
你拿了我的汉堡吗? 你不能叫他格兰先生
You have to call him, like, thomas or something.
你要叫他做托马斯
Go ahead. No, because he won't take you seriously.
继续吧 不 因为 他不会认真对待你们
He thinks we're kids. If you call him Mr. Granger...
他觉得我们只是孩子 如果你叫他格兰先生
he looks at you like you're a 6yearold kid. He does it with me. It won't work anymore.
他就会当你是6岁小孩 这样不行的
Abe had taken on the task of quantifying and explaining the device.
埃布尔负责量化和 解释这个设备
But as weeks became months...
但日子过得很快
their enthusiasm became a slow realization that they were out of their depth.
他们的热情慢慢消退 他们知道自己没戏了
There he is. I've been calling you all morning.
终于来了 我整个早上都在给你打电♥话♥
Where'd you call? Your work and your cell.
你打到哪里了? 你公♥司♥和住所都打过了
I'm not there.
我不在那里
Really?
真的?
March Madness? It's Carolina and Michigan.
你打算去哪里? 加州和密歇根
Who's up? I don't even know what.
去找谁? 我都不知道
Do you have anything important at work today?
今天你有什么重要事情吗?
I hope you're not implying that any day is unimportant at Cortex Semi.
希望你不是在暗示 我每天的工作都不重要
I was going to come give you this big speech about how we've been...
我本来打算对你发表长篇大论 说我们怎样建立了长久友谊
friends for a long time and built up trust, that whole thing.
我们怎样建立信任之类的话
But how about this instead?
但不如简单一点吧
If you ditch work this afternoon and promise to do the few small things I ask you...
如果你今天下午不上班 答应为我做一点小事
that any living organism has ever witnessed.
我会好好报答你 让你见证 有史以来生物界最重要的发现
Well, it looks like mustard to me.
我觉得它像芥末
I know, but it's a film. It's a protein...
我知道 但其实是一层蛋白质膜
secreted by a fungus called Aspergillus ticor.
是一种叫曲霉菌的 微生物分泌的
He told you that?
是他告诉你的?
No, he knew it was a protein but didn't know where it came from.
不是 他知道这是蛋白质 但不知道来源
All he really did was just take some pictures with their equipment.
他只是用他们的设备拍了 一些照片
Guess where we're going.
猜猜他要去哪里?
Do you know where Will is? No, why?
知道威尔在哪里吗? 不.怎么了?
The Ariel meeting is pushed back till Wednesday.
会议提前到周三了
I thought he was waiting around for it. Where are you going?
他在等待开会吧 你要去哪里?
What do they do with engineers when they turn 40?
他们怎样对待步入 40岁的工程师?
What, bradshaw? exactly. You know what?
什么 布拉德? 没错.你知道吗?
I do know where Will is. I'll let him know on my way out.
我知道威尔在哪里 我出去时会让他知道
Okay. Thanks. Can you meet me out front?
好的 谢谢 你在前门等我好吗?
You got to drive. Okay, here. Take my keys.
你开车吧 好的.这是我的车匙
Okay, if you can, just pretend that this is the first time I came in.
好吧 你最好装作 这是我第一次进来
And if you would just tell him exactly what you told me...
而且把你告诉我的话 原原本本地告诉他
Okay, so what is it? Protein buildup.
好的.这是什么? 蛋白质结合体
Okay, can you just tell him? Protein buildup.
好的.你告诉他好吗? 蛋白质结合体
But what kind? Some fungus.
什么类型? 菌类
Some fungus. Where did it come from?
菌类 来自哪里?
I don't know. You were to take it to the lab. Yeah, that's next.
我不知道 你要把它送到实验室 是的 那是下一步
You were in design, weren't you? Yeah.
你参与了设计 对吗? 是的
How did you get over here?
你怎样来到这里的?
Do you know what they do with engineers when they turn 40?
你知道他们怎样对待 步入40岁的工程师?
They take them out and shoot them.
押下去枪毙!
What the hell, Abe? You could have just shown me the pictures.
你想干嘛 埃布尔? 你给我看看照片就行了
I want you to believe it. Believe what, the protein?
我要你相信嘛 相信什么?那团蛋白质?
I believe you. Okay, look...
我信你 好吧 听着
this guy already thinks it's a joke, so he may be a little defensive.
这家伙已经觉得这是个玩笑 所以他也许有点戒备
Really? Why would he think that?
真的?他怎么会那样想?
Please.
请说吧
Aspergillus ticor.
曲霉菌
This is a fungus that's everywhere.
这种菌类无处不在
It's in our bed, our skin, sometimes even our GI tract. everywhere.
我们床上 皮肤里 甚至肠道里 无处不在
It's basically the reason you don't leave things in dark, damp, closedoff places.
所以你不会把食物放在黑暗 潮湿和封闭的地方
Thank you. Do you have that sample I brought?
谢谢 我带来的样本呢?
There it is. Terger. TeRGeR.
就在这里 上面写着你的名字
Okay, when I showed you this, tell him what you thought.
我给你看这东西的时候 告诉他你当时怎样想的
You thought it was a joke, right? It is a joke.
你觉得这是开玩笑 是吗? 就是开玩笑
Right, but how did you know?
没错 但你怎么知道呢?
Will you show him? Please?
请你给他看看 好吗?
This is how I get protein A out of Aspergillus ticor. We sweeten it.
我是这样从 曲霉菌上提取蛋白质A的 我们加入糖分
We agitate it. We spin it around. We sweeten some more.
我们搅动它 转动它 然后再加入糖分
Takes about a month. To get the same amount I brought in.
大约要一个月 才能得到我带来的同样数量
To get the same amount I brought in.
才能得到我带来的同样数量
So if it's an incubatorforfungus, is that valuable?
如果用培养皿来获取曲霉菌 会不会很高成本呢?
That's not what it is. Then what is it?
不是那样的 那又是怎样?
There's another way to secrete that much protein. Do it naturally.
还有一种方法分泌同样 数量的蛋白质 自然的方法
But that takes a lot longer.
但时间要长的多
If it has a little moisture and it's left alone, it'll start secreting and it'll build up...
如果给它一点水分 让它自然 生长 它就会开始分泌蛋白质
and build up, but it takes a long time. How long?
但时间要长的多 长多久?
A long time. More than a few days? Then how long?
很久 不止长几天? 那要多久?
To get the same amount of protein that we have...
我每隔五天收集一次蛋白质
the amount that I was wiping off every five days...
五天后 它又会继续积累
and five days later it would accumulate...
如果要达到我这个数量
he says it would take about five to six years.
他说要5到6年才行
I don't want to belittle this guy.
我不想小看这家伙
So, I said screw it and I put my watch in there.
所以我就撒手不管了
And? I want you to do it.
然后呢? 我想让你来做
Where is it? The box? I took it back to the shop.
那箱子在哪里? 我放回店子里了
Wait, digital or old mechanical? exactly. I did both.
等等.是数字设备还是 老式机械? 我两种都做了
And what? I want you to do it.
然后呢? 我想让你来做
We thought that we were degrading gravity, right?
我们以为我们降低了重力 对面?
That we were blocking that information.
以为我们拦截了那个信息
I think we're doing more than that. I think we're blocking more than that.
我们要拦截更多东西
When you were controlling the feed, did you notice it was parabolic?
你控制输入量时 你注意到 它是抛物线形状的吗?
It's important. Parabolas are important. Here, look at this.
抛物线很重要 看看这里
I don't know, Abe.
我不知道 埃布尔
I'm going to start it up and let it run for 60 seconds...
我开动它 让它运行60秒
with nothing in it. It's empty this time.
这次先让它空着
That's 22
22小时
In all the equations that describe motion and heat and entropy.
在所有描述运动 热量和熵的等式里
In all Feynman diagrams what's the one variable that you can turn negative...
在所有费曼图表里 哪一个变数是你能变成负值
and still get rational answers for? It's not mass.
但仍然能得到有理数答案的?
Twentytwo hours, 27 minutes in the box.
在箱子里的时间 是22小时27分钟
It's an odd number. That's 1,347 minutes.
是一个单数 1347分钟
1,347, man, you got that fast. How did you know it's odd?
1347 你算的真快啊 你怎么知道是个单数?
Because this is it. This is what's going on. There's an "A" end and a "b" end.
因为它就是单数 有A端点和B端点
Let's say the A end is 12:00,and the b end is 12:01.
我们设A端点是12:00 B端点是12:01
All right? We start the machine with the Weeble at the A end.
好了吗?我们启动机器 让数组从A端点开始
It travels forward You got to write this down.
它向前推进 你要写下来
There's nothing to write down. I'll write it down.
没什么好写的 我写下来吧
It travels forward normally towards the b end.
它正常地向B端点推进
When it gets there, the feed runs down parabolically...
到达B端点时 又以抛物线形状下降
until it should stop, but it curves back around towards the A end.
直到应该停止 但又向A端点曲线返回
When it gets back to the A end... Curve that around. The Weeble...
当它回到A端点 又再次曲线折返
has experienced a total of two minutes, and again it curves
这个过程共经历两分钟 然后再次曲线折返
back around. It curves parabolically. Right.
以抛物线运动 没错
It comes back around and it does this about 1,300 times.
如此反复 大约1300次
When it finally exits on the b end...
当它最终从B点退出
it's traveled an odd number of forward and backward trips.
它共进行了单数次的来回运动
What is so special about 1,300? Why is it about 1,300? Why isn't it exact?
1300有什么特别的?为什么是 1300?为什么不是确切数字?
This is not empirical. Here, give me that.
还没有被证实 把那个给我
I don't know why it's not exact. There's some sort of probability there.
我不知为什么不是确切数字 有几种可能性
every time it hits the b end there's a chance...
有很小的机会…
a small chance it won't curve back around towards the A end.
它每次到达B端点时 不会向A端点折返
And for some reason, it takes about 1,300 trips before it finally does.
出于某种原因 它要运行 1300次才能最终停止
It does have to exit, or else we wouldn't be able to see it afterwards.
它一定要退出 否则我们 就不能看到它以后的样子
Okay, let's take a look at this.
好吧 我们看看这里
Twentytwo hours, 14 minutes.
22小时14分
1,334 minutes. even.
1334分钟 偶数
enter at the b end.
在B端点进入
exit at the b end.
从B端点退出