I can't say all that. - Well, say he was, uh -
呃 他来自- 他老妈嘛- 他不知道...
well, he was from - his mother - he-he didn't -
他不知道自己老妈是谁
he didn't know who his mother was.
他就孤零零的一个人 所以他找了几个寄宿家庭
He had been on his own, so he went in to live with some family.
然后呢 那些人收养了他
Yeah. - And these people took him in.
后来 他就去了...
Of course, then he went away to be a -
他成年后 就去当了兵
when he became of age, he went away to be a soldier.
没记错的话 他应该是去了骑兵营
In the cavalry? Yeah. - Mm-hmm.
他在营里待了很多年
And he stayed there.
然后他... 在哪个镇当兵啊 那个镇在哪?
And of course - - What town was this in? Where?
baucina镇 在西西里那边是吧
Uh, baucina. - In sicily.
是的 西西里岛 Baucina镇 那个镇也在西西里
In sicily. Baucina. - In sicily too.
他和我们不是一个国籍的 知道吧
See, he was a different nationality from us.
那边的小镇星罗棋布的 这可真难以置信
The town was one right after the other. - Don't mean nothin'.
就有一天 他们的队伍穿过一个小镇 我妈住在那里
This day, they were coming through the town, through my mother's town.
镇里的人都拥到了阳台上
Of course, everybody comes out on the balconies
看着军队行军
to look at the soldiers going by.
他们穿着制♥服♥ 神采飞扬
They're in uniform. They're beautiful.
我爸穿着一件蓝色制♥服♥
He wore a, uh, blue uniform
骑着马 带着一顶帽子 帽子上有根很大的白色羽毛
with a hat with a big, white plume on it, and he was on horseback.
我妈当时也在阳台上
And of course, my mother was on the balcony,
就看见我爸经过
and, uh, when he passed through...
他们双目对视 一见钟情
He looked at her and she looked at him, and it was sort of love at first sight.
我爸灵机一动 说 这阳台很低啊
So he brought out an instance that he said the balcony was so low
就让我妈把手伸出来
that if she just put her hand down,
这样她就能摸到他了 阳台确实很低 我和你妈都见过
she could touch him. - That's the truth. We saw it.
我去意大利的时候 我让我阿姨
Now, when I went to Italy, I asked my aunt
带我去了我妈的老宅
to take me over to my mother's house, where she lived.
她们带我去了那里 阳台真的很低
They brought me over to the house, and that was true.
我还拍了张照片
I took a picture of it,
真的就低到"伸手触行人"那种程度
and the balcony was really that low that you could have touched him, see?
不过我们拍的照片都没了 结果有人...
We lost all the film. - Well, anyway -
照片都没了? 嗯
you lost all the film? - Sure,
某人摸了下胶卷 照片就都曝光了
on account of somebody touched the camera, and that was it.
就 你♥爸♥这个马大哈
Big-hearted herb.
对摄影机动手动脚
He's gotta make everybody fiddle around with the camera.
到处摸来摸去 我拍的照片就这么没的
You know. Touch this and touch that, and I lost my mother's picture.
还好我又拍了几张
But I'm gonna take another one of it.
不管怎么样吧 他们就坠入爱河了
Well, anyway, then, of course, they fell in love.
谈了22天恋爱 就结婚了
So they courted for about 22 days, and then they got married.
我的姐姐六个月大的时候
So my sister was about six months old,
我爸一直跟我妈念叨 让她一起去美国
and he kept calling her to come to America.
但我妈不太想去 她很怕坐船
But my mother didn't want to come. She was afraid of the boat.
我爸老是说 去美国吧
And every time he would call, "come to America.
那边好的很 你会过上全新的生活
It's nice over here. It'll be different living."
长话短说 后来
Well, anyway, to make a long story short,
我爸变得越来越不耐烦 他在信中威胁我妈
he got so mad, he says to her in the next letter,
你不来美国 就等着被我抛弃好了
if you don't come to America, I'm gonna leave you.
我妈不得不乘船来了美国
So she got on the next boat and came over.
呃 你不是说... 她不太想坐船嘛
Yeah, but you said that - - She didn't want to get on the boat.
她一上船 就有掉头就走的冲动
Every time she got on the boat, she turned back.
所以他们设计把她骗上了船
They tricked her into getting on the boat.
她哥骗她说 他会和她一起去美国
Her brother tricked her that he was going to America with her.
他说 我会和你一起去美国的
He says to her, "I'm going to America, too, with you."
他把我妈骗上船后 在她四处张望的空当
So he put her on the boat, and as she turned around for a second,
他就直接消失了 直接下船
he just faded out of sight. - Got off the boat, and that's it.
他是谁 你老妈的哥哥? 就是我的舅舅
Who's that? Her brother? - My uncle.
我妈抓狂了 然而为时已晚
She became frantic. Naturally, it was too late.
船已经启程了 船开了30多天才到美国
The boat had started out. But it took her about 30 days to come to America.
体验非常糟糕 确实很糟糕
Very bad trip. - Very bad trip.
她们看起来就像乡下人一样
But, of course, they looked like peasants, you know.
我的姐姐那会儿还小 带着方围巾 看上去真就...
My little sister with her little kerchief on and her - they really looked -
不过无论情况多糟 他们可算到了美国
well, anyway, they came to America,
她们就生活在第三街道上
and they went and lived, I think, on third street.
后来又住到了街对面
Then they lived across the street.
后来 我的阿姨来了
Mm-hmm. - Then eventually, my aunt came.
房♥间立马不够大了
So naturally, there's no place to live.
进来和我们住吧
#VALUE!
她们让我的阿姨 叔叔和她的儿子住了进来
So they took my aunt in, my uncle and her son.
你数数就知道 现在房♥子里住了一家三口加九个小孩
So that's three plus nine children. You figure it.
一家三口加九个小孩? 没错 算上我老妈和老爸
Three plus nine children? - Right. Plus my mother and father.
有十一个人 再加三个 总共十四个人
Eleven. And three... is 14.
卧室住着我阿姨她们
So my aunt occupied the bedroom,
厨房♥在中间
the kitchen was in the middle,
我老妈 老爸和小孩们住在起居室里
and my mother, father and the children were in the living room.
就三间房♥间 比我小时候还要糟 就三间房♥间
Three rooms. Worse than us. Three rooms.
还有一点 她们以前是直接在家生孩子的
And don't forget, they used to have their babies at home too.
以前还没有... 大家都叫产婆来接生的
There was no such thing as - - They used to call the midwife,
产婆一般都会上门接生
and the midwife would come in.
那你是在美国出生的嘛 双胞胎是在家里出生的
So you were born here? - The twins were born at home.
双胞胎是哪两位 我和我的兄弟Charles
The twins are who? - Me and my brother Charles.
虽然我们俩出生时间间隔很大
And of course there was such a big row that time over the twins.
结果有人想要女孩 有人想要男孩
Somebody wanted the girl, the other one wanted the boy.
啥意思啊 她们只想养一个吗?
What do you mean? - They wanted to take 'em.
她们情绪就非常激动 两个孩子 怎么养的活
Because they got excited. Two kids. How are you gonna feed all these kids?
然后有个女的说了 大家别激动 我来养女孩
So one woman says, "don't get excited. I'll take the girl."
这都哪跟哪啊
What do you think this is?
也太扯了 跟讨价还价一样
What do you think this is, a bargain basement?
我要男孩 这都是啥话啊?
I'll take the boy? What is this?
你又搞错了
You had it wrong.
Charlie 我是对的好吗 你对在哪儿啊
Charlie, I was right. - What were you right about?
在我爸用脚搅拌葡萄这件事上 我是对的
My father used to smash the grapes with his feet.
不可能... 他就是把葡萄放到桶里的
But not with the - - And then put it in the thing.
绝对不是这样的 你搅碎了就... 我的天
No, they can't. You mash it once - oh, my god.
你♥爸♥又没有搅拌机 我爸有啊
Your father didn't have the machine my father had.
行吧 你♥爸♥有搅拌机
Your father had machines, all right.
你真是“可爱” Marty 你不知道你爷爷这人
Oh, you're joking. - You don't know him, Marty.
他除了搭脚手架还干啥工作
What kind of work did he do, exactly, besides scaffolding?
工作的地点在哪 有没有发生什么危险的事情
Where did he work, what things happened to him, was it dangerous -
我的老爸吗 那事情可是太多了
my father? There was a lot of things.
有次他回家的时候 伤到了胳膊
Another time he came home, he hurt his arm,
休息了好长时间
and he was out of work so long.
一家之主失去了经济来源 我们日子都过得很艰难
And when the master of the house wasn't working, it was hard on us.
我妈以前靠缝裤子来补贴家用
My mother used to sew pants to keep the family going.
她手艺很好
My mother was a very fine hand sewer.
你可能记不得她的名字
You can't remember,
但老一辈的听我一说都能记起来
but the older people will remember when I mention his name.
我老妈还给Browning老爹缝过裤子
My mother made pants for daddy Browning...
Browning老爹:纽约市房♥地♥产♥开♥发♥商
一个百万富翁
A millionaire.
他娶了个 娶了个非常年轻的女孩
He married, uh - - He married a young girl.
事实上 女孩嫁给Browning时才16岁 引起了纽约城巨大轰动 她父母同意是为了反对当时反虐待儿童协会提出的反忘年恋法案
她叫peaches
Her name was peaches.
我没乱扯啊 我很认真的
Right. This is - I'm serious.
我妈手艺很好
And my mother was such a fine sewer that he used to go here
Browning老爹经常到第九大道上的arnheim店里定制衣物
to arnheim on ninth street to have his clothes made,
然后那店就把裤子交给我妈缝制 毕竟我妈心灵手巧
and they used to give the pants to my mother because her sewing was beautiful.
在九个小孩的环境中干活? 是的
With nine children? - Yeah.
我妈经常拿着衣服... 先听我说完...
And my mother used to take the clothes - listen to me -
她拿着裤子
take the pants,
一边缝缝补补 还一边教我们缝纫技巧
sew them, and she used to teach us how to sew.
我们那时候都围坐在她身边 跟她学习缝纫方法
We had to sit by her and do the seams up too,
小孩子吗 就在那边跑来跑去
and the children - who was running around,
大汗淋漓 饥肠辘辘的
who was wet, who was hungry,
还要时不时喂奶 就这么拉扯大的
who we had to give a bottle to, that's how we were raised.
我妈做完裤子后 把它叠的整整齐齐的 打包好
My mother used to finish the pants, fold them all up nicely, make a bundle
带回第九大道
and carry them back to ninth street.
然后他们又会给她派新活 接到新活后她又会回家
They would give her another batch, and she'd come back.
一来一去还得她自己走 她还要辅♥导♥家庭作业
You had to bring them and deliver them. - Homework.
没人回家后会辅♥导♥我们家庭作业
Homework. Nobody would come to the house and pick 'em up.
都是我妈在辅♥导♥ 事实上 她教我们...
My mother did the same thing. - And actually, we had a - she taught us.
她教我们怎么缝衣服 织衣服
电影精选列表