我知道了 那个厨房♥
Yeah, I know. - In the kitchen.
现在你看到的厨房♥ 以前是个卧室
Where you see the kitchen, it used to be a bedroom.
住客他们要付钱吗 当然要
But they used to pay? - Oh, yeah.
我妈给他们做饭 洗衣服 然后他们付给她钱
My mother used to cook for them, wash their clothes and they used to pay her.
那房♥间里一共住了多少人啊 两个住客
How many people were all in the rooms? - There was two boarders.
我 还有我爸 我那会儿已经出生了
Me, my father - I was born.
还有Rosie 老妈 我 Mikey
There was Rosie, mo, me, Mikey.
Mikey Joey 和 Fanny 我们一家七口 加上两个住客
Mikey, Joey and Fanny. We were seven. And two was nine.
那有多少间屋子啊
How many rooms?
算上厨房♥的话 四间屋子吧
Oh, there's, with the kitchen, four rooms there were.
只有四间 四间小屋子
That's all. Four small rooms.
那会儿哪有啥精♥装♥房♥
There was no such thing as, uh, elaborate rooms.
你知道那会儿我们房♥间里有啥吗 啥家具都没 只有床
You know what there was? You had no furniture then. You had beds.
白天把床收起来 把地方腾出来
In the daytime, you'd pick 'em up, and you had the room.
晚上就把床放下 然后睡觉
In the nighttime, you fold 'em down, and then you go to sleep.
这么点东西能行? 你问我啊
What do you think it was?
我们那会儿只有这么点东西 桌子和椅子
That's all we had. Table and chairs.
我记得我老妈
And my mother - I remember my mother
跪在地上 刷那个木质地板
scrubbing them floors, wooden floors, on her knees.
那地上没有地毯 没得地毯
No carpet. - No carpets.
就这么用一把铁刷子 在走廊和房♥间里刷着木质地板
Wooden floors with a brush, an iron brush in the hallway and in the house.
刷的地板锃亮 那可是木质地板
Used to make those floors sparkle. Wooden floors.
现在可就轻松多了 有专门的擦地机器
Today they got it so soft. They got a washing machine.
有这样的那样的科技
They got this, they got that.
羡慕啊
So jealous.
他们那会儿可从没流过眼泪
And there was, uh - and they never - they never cried,
抱怨他们累死了
you know, or say they were tired.
他们的字典里就没有劳累二字
There was no such thing as being tired.
空闲的时候 她就开始缝补裤子
And besides that, she used to sew pants.
我爸以前是个搭脚手架的
My father was always a scaffold maker.
脚手架就是
A scaffold.
那种建筑物外面搭的给人落脚的东西
The board that's outside of the buildings. That they stand on.
拿来给工人落脚 递砖瓦水泥的
When they put scaffolds for men to go around to put up bricks and things.
他好像一直在干脚手架这行 搭着脚手架
He was always a scaffold maker. - Scaffold man.
正因为如此 他很难在这里找到工作
So, of course, it was hard to get work here.
所以一有工作 他们就立马去做
So wherever they could get work, they would go out to.
我还记得他那回去新泽西的Springfield
And I remember him going to Springfield, New Jersey.
那路途可是很远的 就在周一早上
And that was like going from here to - - Monday morning -
他就在周一早上出发
he would leave on a Monday morning -
去新泽西的Springfield工作吗
Springfield, New Jersey - he would go there to go to work.
他就是周一早上出发 周五晚上回来Y
Yeah. He would go away Monday morning and come back Friday night
一周赚45刀
for $45 a week.
养九个孩子 那可是笔不小的支出
Now, supporting nine children - - That was big money.
一天晚上 -我父亲平常留着山羊胡的
Now, so one night - my father had handlebars.
一个周五的晚上
So one night on a Friday night,
门外有人敲门
there was a knock at the door, so -
我那会儿还是孩子
we were children.
我们去开了门 说时迟那时快
We opened the door, and all of a sudden,
我们立马跑回老妈身边 依偎在她怀里
we ran back and were pulling onto my mother.
咋了 她问我们 我说 有个男的站在门口
What's the matter? She says. I says, "there's a man at the door.”
后来才知道那是我爸 他把山羊胡剃了
It was my father. He shaved off his handlebars.
我们就没认出他来 还吓哭了
And we were - we didn't recognize him, and we were crying.
我爸就喜欢干这种事
My father pulled the same thing.
他就对这种事乐此不疲
He used to get a big charge out of it. He loved to do that.
经常搞这种恶作剧
He used to get a big charge out of things like that.
以前没有地下储藏室的时候
Years ago, they didn't have such things as a cellar.
我们就买♥♥来葡萄
We used to take the - buy these grapes
在那件屋子里面挤出葡萄汁
and squeeze the juice up in the room there
然后把装着果汁的木桶
and put the-the barrels
放到一间卧室里
in one of the bedrooms, in a part of the bedroom
就这样来让酒发酵
and make the wine ferment.
他们以前在哪酿酒? 就在自己房♥子里
You mean they used to make wine where? - In the house.
我们酿酒的地方 就在那个住着两个住客的屋子里
In the rooms with the boarders and all, we used to make the wine.
放上两三个木桶 任其自然发酵 你可以想象一下
Put two, three barrels, make it ferment. - You can just imagine.
我们时不时倒出点来喝喝 味道真挺不错的
And we used to get some wine out of it. Very good.
那会儿我们都...
And at times - at times we used to -
uh -
晚上酒的香味老是传过来
the smell of that wine used to get us at nighttime.
酒的特性就是这样 一旦散发出香气 就代表开始发酵了
You know how wine is. When it smells, it starts to ferment.
很多人都自己酿酒
A lot of people used to do that.
他们都喜欢自己动手 因为这样更便宜
They used to make their own wine. It was cheaper to them.
那时候他们不太会去买♥♥酒
They couldn't go and buy wine or -
而且那会儿酒的产量也不是很多
at that time, they didn't have gallons of wine like they got today
不像今天能从加州买♥♥成吨♥的酒
from California and things like that.
所以他们都自己酿酒 味道也还不错
So they used to make their own wine. And it was pretty good wine too.
唯一的问题就是
The only thing was that
他们没有像样的清洁设备
they didn't have the facilities for cleaning it up the way they should've.
你讲 我爸爸也自己酿酒
Go ahead. - My father made it too.
不过我们还算高级点 我们有自己的地下室放酒
But we were a little ritzier than you. We put ours down the cellar.
我记得有次你♥爸♥还给我爸酿了酒
What about when your father made the wine for my father?
我忘了有多少桶了
I'm not gonna say how many barrels.
但他确实酿了 我爸还付了钱
But he made the wine for my father, and your father got paid...
好像有什么见不得人的交易啊
This is getting dirty now.
你♥爸♥还跟我爸说
And then he says to him,
自己随便挑一桶吧
all right, pick one of your own barrels for yourself.
然而 酒都酸了 每桶都是 都酸的要命
The whole thing was vinegar. Every barrel. Everything was vinegar.
你暗示我爸不会酿酒是不是
Are you insinuating my father didn't know how to make wine?
不是你♥爸♥的问题 是葡萄的问题
It wasn't that your father didn't know. It was something with the grape.
酿的时候太湿了 你这样说听着舒服了点 别阴阳就行
It was kind of wet. - That's different. But don't insinuate.
Marty 你的牙齿咋了 碰坏了吗
Marty, what did you do with your tooth? You broke it?
哪颗牙齿 这颗? 你说这个干嘛
What tooth? This? - You're not supposed to talk.
咋了啊 你♥爸♥也是为你好
What? - He's putting that in too.
你的牙齿咋了 怎么变短了 咋回事
What'd you do to your tooth? It's shorter. It's short. How come?
我不知道啊 另一边 对对 就在那
I don't know. - The other side. That, right there.
这颗吗 是的
This one? - Yeah.
我不知道啊 我真不知道 它变短了
I don't know. I don't know. - It's short.
你最好找个牙医补补
You'd better get it fixed up.
他牙齿里是不是长了什么东西
Isn't that something? He brings in the tooth.
看起来不妙啊 你说啥 我的牙齿就这样啊
It looks like hell. - What do you mean? That's it, the tooth.
它不够长 跟其他牙齿比起来短了一截
It's not long enough. It's much shorter than the others.
快去补补 可能是胡子的原因吧
Get it fixed. - I think the beard did that.
胡子把牙齿带出来了
Yeah. It brings it out.
酒里面有酸味了 这酒就值钱了
But with the vinegar in itself, they got money,
好酸之益胜美酒啊
because good vinegar was much more profitable than wine.
一定要是好酸
Mm-hmm. - Good vinegar.
你能想象酿酒的情形吗
So you can just imagine what it looked like, you know -
厨房♥里 一摞葡萄清一色堆叠
in the kitchen, all these boxes of grapes piled up.
然后我爸把好的葡萄挑出来 带到地下室
Then, of course, he used to pick it out, take it, bring it downstairs,
放在木桶里 大概放满半桶
and he used to put it in this barrel that was sawed in half,
穿上黑色的靴子 用脚"搅拌"葡萄
put on a pair of black boots, and start mashing it,
在葡萄上面踩来踩去
you know, walking around in the grape.
搅拌充分以后
And then, of course, when it was mashed very, very good,
他就把葡萄捞出来 放进一个 意大利语里叫stringiatura的东西
he would take it out and put it in this - in Italian we say a stringiatura -
压的紧紧实实的
to strain it real tight.
你这么讲就错了
Okay, you're wrong.
如果他用脚搅拌葡萄 那机器就没用了
If he did it with his feet, they didn't have to use the machine.
他们唯一... 那你怎么把葡萄汁挤出来
The only time - - How are you gonna get the juice out?
他们唯一用得上脚的时候....
The only time they used -
他们那会儿用脚踩葡萄 是因为那会儿还没有机器
the only time they used their feet is when they didn't have the machine.
又开始纠结这种问题了 不 你听我说
We got mixed up. - No. I'm telling you.
又开始了 事实就是这样啊
Now we got mixed up. - No, that's the way it is.
人们要用脚踩葡萄 是因为那会儿还没有机器来搅拌
The only time they used their feet, when they didn't have the machine to grind it.
我没在说搅拌机好吗
I'm not talking about the grinding machine.
我是在说用来榨汁的机器
I'm talking about the machine that squeezes it.
stringiatura就是搅拌机啊
That's the grinding machine. That's the stringiatura.
那会儿已经有这机器了 不要狡辩 我是酿过葡萄酒的人.
Now they have it. Don't tell me, because I made wine too.
在欧洲 随你怎么说 我爸酿的酒就很好
And in Europe - - Well, anyway, my father had good wine.
我爸以前在意大利
Well, my father was in Italy.
他住在 住在... 我爸以前住在...
He was in the - in the - no, my father was in the -
从他父母和家庭开始说起吧 就这么说
start with his mother and the whole thing. Start on that.
我有些事情不太清楚 就先说他的老家嘛
电影精选列表