because they didn't want to be thrown out of their own neighborhood.
你知道我爸刚来的时候这里有多少酒吧吗
You know how many bars you had over here when my father came here?
有大概六七家酒吧
How many bars out here? You had about six, seven bars over here.
都是意大利人开的
All Irish bars. And there was only one guy -
但建筑拆迁之前 只有一家还开着了
there was only one guy that remained here till they took the building out.
别说这事 让我说
Don't say - - no.
直到他们把建筑都拆了
Till they tore the buildings down. And, uh -
不像以前了
it's not like it was years ago,
以前人们都是开着门的
that the people used to leave their doors open, and -
就像大家是一个大家庭里的亲戚一样
it was like all one big house, the whole apartment.
你敲门的时候就会发现 门都是开着的
You're going from - "hello." The doors were open,
你就这么一户户地拜访
and you would go into one house and to another.
要是我吃不下我老妈煮的菜
And me, if I didn't like what my mother used to cook,
我就下楼去邻居家吃
I used to go downstairs and eat.
我一般都先问“有啥菜啊 老妈”
I used to go upstairs: "What are you cookin', mom?"
要是不喜欢 我就下楼吃去了
I didn't like it - downstairs.
以前邻居真就像一家人一样 现在一切都变了
We used to be like all one family. It was altogether different.
真的是
It's really the -
你去干啥 我去搅拌一下香肠
yeah? You were saying? - I want to stir the sauce.
啥? 拌下香肠-
You wanna what? - Stir the sauce.
那个意大利的事情 我爸要说啥啊
What do you think he was saying when you were talking before about the Irish?
啥事啊 酒吧那件事吗
What was that? - When he says there's a lot of bars?
以前这里真的有很多酒吧吗
There were a lot of bars?
差不多每个街角都有个酒吧
Well, naturally, every corner had mostly bars.
坊间也有很多传言
And you had a lot of stores and things. You know.
但据我所知
But, uh, from what I gather -
看起来你对他颇有微词
but you were saying something, though, about him, what he said.
我不想他说那事儿 为啥
I didn't want him to say that. - Why not?
因为 你不让他说啥嘛
Because. - You didn't want him to say what?
毕竟对那群意大利人来说
About Irish people. I mean, after all,
我们只是群迁居此地的外来客 你懂我意思吧
we really did come in here and live here, you know what I mean?
按常理来说
And then, of course, it's just like everything else, you know.
是他们先来这的 是这里的地头蛇
They were here first. Naturally.
当他们发现新东西时
It's just like kids when they find something,
就像熊孩子一样 强夺豪取
and they find it, and they have it,
要是有人也同样想要那东西
and then somebody comes along and wants it, and they say,
他们就会说 我先找到的 ...
"no, I found it first," right? - Mm-hmm.
我猜人们就因此忿忿不平
So that's why I guess they resent it, you know.
后来 事情也像你♥爸♥说的那样
But then, as he says, it sort of started to get -
大家都互相抱团取暖 邻里和谐
you know, everybody got together, and then they made one happy family.
就这样
That's all.
这样搞起后 大家生活还都算舒服 大家也就慢慢习惯了
You know, it wasn't too bad after a while. They sort of got used to the idea.
虽然一开始遇到了些阻力
But in the beginning, it was a little tough.
万事开头难嘛
But it's just like everything else.
肉丸在锅里了 盖上盖子 放一会儿
Now my meatballs are in. I shall put my cover on and forget about it.
懂了
Okay.
大功告成
That's it.
你父亲 他从事什么工作啊
Your father, what he was doing,
老家在哪 哪个镇的 越详细越好
where he came from, what the town was, and all that.
我爸来自西西里的polizzi
My father came from polizzi in sicily.
那是西西里的一个小镇
It's a little town in sicily. And he -
当他还是个小孩 大概六七岁的时候
when he was a little boy, about six or seven years old,
老妈去世了 老爸也娶了个后母
his mother had died and his father remarried.
我也不知道具体发生了啥
And somehow or another, I don't know what happened,
他就不想呆在那了 然后他就寄人篱下
but he didn't want to stay there, and some man took him in.
他的养父有座农场 养了山羊之类的牲畜
He had a farm. He had goats and things like that.
他要给他的养父打工 长大后 就在农场工作H
He would work for this man. As he grew up, he would work for this man.
十九岁的时候 他到了美国
At 19 years old, he was coming to this country.
他的养父不想让他来美国
This man didn't want him to come over here.
他想让他娶了他的女儿
This man wanted him to marry one of his daughters.
他的养父生了三个女儿 就是没有儿子
This man had three daughters, no sons.
他说他会给他想要的一切
And he says he would give him anything he wanted.
我的父亲说 算了 我要到美国去
But my father says, "no, I'm off to America."
然后十九岁的时候他就来到了美国
He came over here when he was about 19 years old.
那年是几几年
And, uh - - About what year was that around?
应该是1901年 大概就这个时候
Well, I would say 1901, something like that.
一开始他干苦力活
He started to work as a laborer.
等到二十一岁的时候 他决定结婚
When he was 21 years old, he decided he wanted to get married,
他和我妈在了一起 然后就娶了我妈
and he went to my mother, and he married her.
结婚地点就在老St. Patrick教堂
And he got married right here in the old St. Patrick's church.
那个历史悠久的天主教堂
The old cathedral. - Uh-huh.
一战的时候 他在船上找了份差事
During world war I, he went to work on ships.
船员把他安排到船底工作
Yeah. - And when they had him down the hull -
就在船底工作
they were workin' on the ships way down -
半数时间都不让他上甲板
half of the times they wouldn't even let him come up because they figured
他们很清楚 如果船底的人上了甲板 就会立马提桶跑路
if these people come up, they would go away,
毕竟换谁都受不了这种工作环境
because they wouldn't want to work under those conditions.
船员一般会让他们在下面呆个一周左右
They kept them there for a week or so.
给点食物和生活用品
They used to give them food and everything else, but they -
差不多一周之后 船员们会让他们上来透透气
after a week or so, they used to make them come up and go out.
他最后去了纽约蒸汽厂工作
And he finally went to work for the New York steam.
虽然他没有啥文凭 但在纽约蒸汽厂工作期间
And as he worked for New York steam, without an education,
手下管着一百来号♥人
he had a hundred people workin' for him.
纽约蒸汽厂是啥
What was New York steam?
纽约蒸汽厂是如今con Edison(能源公♥司♥)的前身 后来被收♥购♥了
New York steam consists of con Edison today. They took it over.
我知道了 Con Edison.
I see. - Con Edison.
他后来做生意没
Did he go into business or anything?
差不多做了十次生意吧 都是蔬果类的
I'd say about eight, nine or ten businesses, all in fruit and vegetables,
而且他一做生意 就赔钱
and every one of them he put up, he lost money on.
就赚不了钱吧你懂吧
He always - didn't make out.
但他就一直做 一直
But he kept trying. Kept trying.
某天他心血来潮 来了句 "我把楼下的杂货店买♥♥了下来了"
One day he comes up, he says, "I bought the grocery store downstairs."
我们都吓坏了
We were all furious.
我们不想让他经商 但他偏要
We didn't want him to get into business. But he got into business.
纽约蒸汽厂里的同事都来找他
And the New York steam people came over to him.
要他回厂子继续干 他就不走
They wanted him back again. He wouldn't go back.
我有自己的事业 我不回去
He says, "I got my own business, and that's it."
我爸就是那种典型的 想要在生意场上大展身手的人
My father was the type of man, he wanted to be in business.
他老是跟我说 只要经商
He always told me, "anytime you're in business,
你就可以欠全世界的钱
you can owe all the money in the world,
但经商的时候 你的兜里又总不会缺钱
but you always got money in your pocket when you're in business."
你能养活一家老小 钱还是够的
Cause you can always support a family. You got money.
钱这种东西 花了又总会来的
The bills, you paid 'em as they came along.
当然最后 他把所有钱都赔完了
Finally, after so many years, he lost that too.
就在二战刚爆发那会儿
And he lost it just at the time when the second world war started.
说到我妈
As far as my mother goes,
她为人特别强势
well, she was a strong woman.
我爸不太会和别人吵架
My father would never get into arguments with anybody.
但我妈会
She would face them.
我爸老是被...
My father would always -
我妈老是把我爸晾在一旁
she would push my father always on the side.
她不太好惹
She was a very strong woman.
对我们也很严厉
Even with us, with the children.
她就有话直说 不会藏着掖着
And if she had to say something, she told you, and that was it.
你还不能顶嘴 她可硬了
And you couldn't answer her. She was tough.
她什么时候来美国的 咋来的啊
When did she come over? On what kind of -
坐啥船来的 你能展开讲讲吗
what kind of boat trip? I mean, you know. Could you tell us a little about that?
她来美国的时候
When she came over.
来美国的时候 她说自己差点死在船上
When she came over, she says she almost died on that trip.
船很小 特别小
The boats were small. They were very small.
她大概坐了一个半月— 一个多月的船才到美国吧
It took her a month and a half - over a month to get over here by boat.
她妈也差点死在船上 她来美国的时候 坐的船也贼小
Like her mother, the same thing. They came over here, the boats were -
颠来颠去的 她都以为自己要葬身海底了
the waves - they thought they'd never make it when they came over here.
她妈比她早来几年 但我没见过她
Her mother then came over here years ago, but I don't remember her.
我想 她应该是去世了
She died, you know, and all that.
不过我妈真的是个女强人
But my mother was a - she was a real whip.
我记得我小时候
Cause I remember as a little boy,
我们那间241号♥房♥有两个住客
we used to have, in 241, we had two boarders.
住客:寄膳者 支付规定的金额以换取常规餐或伙食和住宿的人
就是和我们一起住的人 两个啥
We had, you know, with the room - - Two what?
两个住客 住客 就是和我们一起住的人
Two boarders. Boarders. I mean, people that lived with us.
电影精选列表