the pushcarts shifted over to the other side.
太阳照不到的地方 却孕育着巨大的财富
There was no sun. But there was a great business over here.
那时候你连小店都挤不进去 街上熙熙攘攘的
You couldn't get a store over here then. - Oh, it was beautiful.
店里都是人 没有一家店是空着的
Stores were - there wasn't a store empty.
街上的每个商店都挤满了人
Every store on the block was taken.
每个商店 每个地下室 都是人
Every store, every basement was taken.
当然 你还能看到卖♥♥柠檬的人
Of course, you had lemon dealers.
那会儿 美国的柠檬还得从欧洲进口
At the time, we used to get lemons from Europe.
现在你很少能看到进口柠檬了
Imported lemons. And you don't get 'em today anymore.
以前卖♥♥柠檬的地方也卖♥♥橘子 各种各样的水果都有
And they used to have lemon, oranges. All kinds of fruit.
家附近有四家商店
They used to have - there was one, two, three,
四家商店卖♥♥进口商品
four different places with all that stuff around here, imported.
不知怎么的
And I don't know what happened.
那些商店就销声匿迹了
They-they faded away.
大萧条时期
They got sort of a depression like, you know?
人们陆续迁出
And people started to move out.
人都搬走了 商店也陆续倒闭
They started to move. You know, businesses started to close.
但这里的街坊邻居
But as far as the neighborhood here
包括Delancey和Orchard街上的居民
and Delancey street and orchard street, it was all together -
还有犹太人和意大利人 都齐心协力 共度难关
Jewish and Italians, they all worked together.
说到偷窃 孩子们以前都喜欢偷东西
And as far as actually stealing, kids all used to steal.
熊孩子 都是些小东西 你也知道的 小孩嘛
Kids - you know, petty. - Petty stuff, you know.
有时就为了好玩 顺手牵走手推车上的东西
Just for fun sometimes, they'd take something on the pushcart,
小贩只好去追他们 剩下的人就趁小贩追人时
make the guy chase 'em, and the rest of the kids used to go
去手推车里拿东西
and pick stuff from the cart.
啥意思 他们是团伙作案
What do you mean? “Went from hand to hand.
小贩追一个人的时候 其他人就趁虚而入 拿一两件东西 拿完就跑
While he was chasin' one guy, the others would take a few pieces and go.
就这么简单 可怜的小贩还跑得累死
And that's it. The poor man is chasing him.
拿的都是些小孩玩的玩意 其实没啥稀罕的 小孩玩的那种东西 你也知道
Kid stuff. That's all it was. - Kid stuff. You know.
不过 无论它幼不幼稚
But, uh, kid stuff or no kid stuff,
有时候 你就是需要这玩意儿来消遣
sometimes it was that, uh, you needed that stuff.
不像今天
You know, it isn't like today.
以前大家都很穷 生活很拮据
It's like, uh, your mother and father couldn't afford to get you anything.
你得
You used to -
你得顺手牵羊 拿点什么 来"补贴家用"
a kid used to grab something and, uh, use it.
水果 新鲜的菜 啥都行
You know, fruit, fresh, whatever it was.
要么拿片陶器 诸如此类的
Or a piece of crockery or something like that.
我记得我哥哥Charlie长大后
I remember my brother Charlie getting older.
找到了一份工作 他当时14岁
He got a job. He was 14 years old.
我以前说过 我们要去外面打工
And, as I says, we had to go out to work,
J .P. Morgan:美国主要商业银行 后与大通-曼哈顿公♥司♥合并成摩根大通 是美国最大金融服务机构之一
他在J .P. Morgan工作 在我印象中 好像是份信差的工作
and he got a job working for j.P. Morgan, I think it was, as a messenger boy.
大概一周的薪水是14刀
Fourteen dollars a week, something like that.
后来 我们一个个的都开始工作
And of course, we started to - you know, little by little,
先是那个哥哥 紧接着的是另一个哥哥
one brother started to work, and the other brother started to work,
接着就是姐姐 我们的钱就这么一点点攒了起来
and the sisters, and we started to accumulate some money.
我记得某个圣诞节
And I remember one Christmas,
我哥跟我妈说 他们想买♥♥棵圣诞树
my brother finally told my mother that they wanted to put up a tree.
我们都很兴奋
And we were thrilled.
他们买♥♥了那棵树后 在上面装饰了- 我也忘了用啥装饰的
So they bought the tree, and they put the - whatever it was.
蜡烛 他们用的应该是蜡烛
Candles. I think they used to use candles at the time.
那会我们还没用上电
We didn't have no electricity.
我们装饰完了那颗树
And, uh, we put up a tree.
这也是件新鲜事 我是说 我们从没搞过圣诞树
But there was no such thing before that. I mean, we never had a tree.
我们只有
We only had, uh -
一起过过圣诞 就一个晚上的时间
christmastime - like, for instance, one night,
他们想给小孩来个恶作剧
they wanted to play a joke on the kids.
小孩们都太天真了 把袜子挂壁炉上
The kids hung up their stockings. They were kids.
就挂在壁炉上
They hung up their stockings.
我们有个壁炉 但我们从没生过火
We had a real fireplace, but it was never used.
他们就把袜子挂在上面
So they hung up their socks on the fireplace,
希望第二天能收到圣诞老人的礼物
you know, thinking they'd find something from Santa claus the next day.
我们年纪大了点 就想跟他们开开玩笑
And just to play a joke on them - we were a little older -
我们在袜子里塞满了柠檬和木屑
we stuffed them up with lemons and pieces of wood
还有各种捡到的东西
and, uh - and, uh, lots of things we found.
然后我们就后悔了 这样做太坏了
Then after, we felt bad, because it was really terrible.
孩子们醒来 看到袜子里的东西
When the kids woke up and they looked at those socks,
嚎啕大哭 我没骗你啊
honest, they cried, honest.
哭声此起彼伏 我们后悔了
It was really terrible. We shouldn't have done that.
每当我回想起这件事 我都在不停自责 我们做的太过了
Now when I think of it, I say, "that was terrible, what we did to them."
随着我们步入社会 家庭财务状况也在逐渐好转
But as I says, as we went along, you know, it was different.
我就没记得家里有过圣诞树
I never remember a Christmas tree in my mother's house.
我记不得 你家没有过吗
I don't remember it. - You never had one.
我就没记得家里有过圣诞树
I never remember a Christmas tree in my mother's house.
我们家里就有 为啥
We had a Christmas tree. - Why?
那些老家伙 不太热衷于这种东西
Well, as I said, they didn't go for it, the old folks.
不感兴趣
They didn't go for it.
他们唯一感兴趣的就是 午夜12点 他们得去教堂礼拜
What they believed in was that at 12:00 at night they went to church,
做弥撒
they celebrated mass,
做完之后 各自回家
and after that, they came home.
教堂里有香肠之类的食物
We had some sausage and things like that at the church,
第二天 家里就会办一场丰盛的晚宴
and then next day, we had a big dinner with the family.
我的爸妈两个人性格迥然相异
Our fathers and mothers, they were from a different world.
甚至可以说完全不同 两个人就一起把我拉扯大
They were different. The brought us up.
似乎我的茁壮成长 才是最重要的事情
As long as we ate and we were healthy, that's all that counted.
他们赚的钱不够供我上学
They couldn't afford to send us to school. They didn't have that kind of money.
不过他们竭尽所能在维持生计
They had all they could do to survive.
还是谢天谢地
And, uh, thank god that, uh,
我的父母都活到了我结婚的时候
my mother and father, they reached to see us all get married
看到我事业稳定 家庭和睦 也算了了心事
and all settle up nice, families, and that's it.
我的老妈以前就喜欢手洗衣服 在冷水里洗
My mother used to wash clothes by hand... - Cold water.
还用搓衣板搓
With the, uh - with the, uh, washboard.
搓啊搓 那会我们还没有燃气炉
Scrubbed them. And then we had no stoves, no gas stove.
只有个煤炭炉子来加热
We had a coal stove which she used to heat up,
放点漂白剂 然后把盆子放在煤炉上
put this big pot on top of it with the clorox, whatever you had,
等水烧开后 把衣服慢慢漂白
put it in there and boil your clothes and let them come white.
你可以想象 九个孩子的尿布 衣物
You could just imagine nine children, with all these diapers
还有各种杂物加起来 工作量有多大 我那任劳任怨的母亲全包了
and clothes and things like that, our poor mothers worked.
浴室在过道里
The bathroom was in the hallways. You know.
在那种公♥寓♥里面 条件就这样 有浴室就谢天谢地了
In those tenements, that's the way it was. We were lucky to have it in the hallway.
有些公♥寓♥的浴室在后院那边
Some tenements had them in the backyards,
你要带着钥匙下楼 走到后园那边才能洗澡
and you had to get the key and go down to the backyard.
你想象一下那个场景 那些浴室是后院小屋改造的吧
You can imagine. - Were they backhouses?
后院小屋都是...
Backhouses.
讲讲那些后院浴室呗 你听我说
Describe those tenements in the back. - No, no, no.
那些浴室都是些后院小屋改造过来的
They were regular backhouses built up.
所以后院就有了浴室
There were bathrooms there. You know.
意大利语里面这个单词咋说来着 我记得好像叫
What was the Italian word for it? Remember the Italian word that -
bacaus.
bacaus.
别听那些街头巷尾的流言蜚语
As far as anybody that talks bad about this neighborhood, forget it.
你来这里时 这里有没有中国人
Were the Chinese here when you first came here?
唐人街就在canal街的另一侧 地方很小
Chinatown was confined on the other side of canal street.
那条唐人街货真价实 如假包换
That was Chinatown. Strictly Chinatown.
Marty 事实上 唐人街 现在
In fact, Marty, Chinatown - - Now -
我插一句 那会儿人们都很怕路过唐人街
excuse me. Chinatown, people were afraid to walk through it.
你以前是不是听过很多唐人街的传言 但那些都是假的
You used to hear so many stories about it, but it wasn't true!
完全就是扯淡 不不不 传言是真的
It wasn't true. - No, no, that was true.
Tong War:美国华人及其后代间的摩擦火并 多发生在旧金山和洛杉矶
那边还发生过几场火并(Tong War) 我记得那是我小时候的事了
They had a tong war there. Yeah, I remember as a kid.
真的? 那会儿还有...
It was true? You had-you had -
每个角落还蹲守着两名警探
you had detectives, two on each corner.
也就是说 那地方很危险咯
In other words, it was dangerous.
对我们来说 那地方不危险
Not to - not to - not to us.
只有那些中国人很危险 哦 那些中国人啊
Amongst themselves. - Oh, amongst themselves.
那些人打砸火并有一手的
Well, naturally. You always get these people that feud.
从他们的行为举止中就能看得出来
You got 'em in features too.
意大利人也干这种事情啊
The same thing the Irish did when they -
没错
right.
那帮人都仇视我们 你懂吗 他们都仇视我们
Everybody resented us. You see? - They resented us.
你是说意大利人吗
What do you mean, the irishmen?
意大利人来这的时候 中国人也照样仇视他们
Well, when the Italian people came here, they resented it too,
因为他们不想被人从自己的街区赶出来
电影精选列表