- Are you represented by counsel?
-我希望为自己辩护。
- I wish to represent myself.
-你不想把这个交给律师吗?
- You don't want to trust this to a lawyer?
-我不
- I don't.
-如果你想自己辩护你的案子,我们不能阻止你。
- If you wish to try your own case, we can't tell you not to.
很多时候,像你这样有经验的人,你知道这个行业的诀窍。
May times, men with past experience such as you've had, you know the tricks of the trade.
后来他们来找我,借口是无法为辩护做好准备。
They've come before me later with the excuse of their inability to prepare for a defense.
他们等到最后一刻才请律师,然后让律师要求延期审理,只是为了拖延案件。
They wait for the last minute to get a lawyer, and then have him ask for a continuance just to stall off the case.
现在,你真的想为自己的案子辩护吗?
Now, do you really want to try your own case?
-没错。
- That's correct.
-你怎么辩护?-无罪。
- How do you plead? - Not guilty.
-该案定于1948年4月29日审判。
- The case is set for trial on April the 29th, 1948.
-是时候了。
- Well, it's about time.
-你一定以为我们是在开法学院吧
- You must think we're runnin' a law school around here.
-哈,不会伤害任何人。
- Ha, wouldn't harm any.
你知道我有资格写几本书。
You know I'm entitled a couple of books.
-你得到了你应得的一切。
- You're getting everything that you're entitled to.
但你不觉得你把一件好事搞砸了吗?
But don't you think you're runnin' a good thing into the ground?
-不,我不知道。
- No, I don't.
我的整个未来,如果有的话,都在这些书里。
My whole future, if there is any, is in these books.
-公设辩护律师有什么问题?
- What's the matter with a public defender?
-他很好。
- He's fine.
不错的老家伙。
Nice old fella.
他会留下来,积累经验。
He'll be around, for experience.
-你以为你比我聪明吗?
- You think you're smarter, eh?
-我的处境比他更危险
- Well, I got more at stake than he has.
但一个男人试着找出他抽搐的原因有什么坏处吗?
But is there any harm in a guy tryin' to find out what makes him tic?
-你是只小狗,有人用一把弯曲的钥匙打了你,从那以后你就一直在倒♥退♥。
- You were a young pup, somebody wound you up with a crooked key, you've been runnin' backwards ever since.
-是的。
- Yeah.
这不是赢的方式,对吧?
That's not the way to win, is it?
-你应该知道。
- You oughta know.
-审判我的日期已经确定。
- The date for my trial had been set.
我的未来取决于我自己的聪明才智来扭曲法律,使之对我有利。
And my future was up to my own cleverness to twist the law to my advantage.
我一个人在为生存而战。
I was alone fighting for my life.
世界上只有一个人把我的全部兴趣放在心上。
Only one man in the world had my total interest at heart.
世界上只有一个人会为了救我而牺牲自己的生命。
Only one man in the whole world would dedicate his life to save mine.
法庭是另一种丛林,文明的丛林,在那里,智慧的人进行殊死的战斗,直到无罪释放。
The courtroom was another kind of jungle, the jungle of civilization where the intelligent battle to the death until the acquittal.
这里是竞技场,武器是书籍和演讲,证据和证人。
This was the arena, the weapons were books and speeches, evidence and witnesses.
我认识了在陪审团面前进行法律斗争的武器。
I recognized weapons of legal combat before a jury.
我记得我仔细看了每一个,这12个。
I remember looking each one of them over carefully, these 12.
他们都是有教养的公民,都是经过精心挑选的,没有偏见。
They were all good-styled citizens, carefully selected for their lack of prejudice.
我是这场战斗的大奖,一个进入斗牛场的新手不可能比我感到更不确定。
I was the grand prize of this battle, a novice entering a bull ring could not have felt more uncertain than I.
这位检察官口才很好,他告诉陪审团,他会证明我就是“红灯大盗”,并能证明我犯有18项不同的重罪。
A brilliant talker, the prosecutor set the stage when he told the jury that he would prove that I was the Red Light Bandit and would prove 18 separate major felonies against me.
根据小林德伯格法,他会要求死刑,毒气室。
Under the Little Lindbergh Law, he would demand capital punishment, the gas chamber.
证人,证人,用手势和言语指认、指控、谴责我。
Witnesses, witnesses, identifying, accusing, condemning me with gestures as well as words.
随着对我不利的情况一天比一天更严重,我徒劳地寻找一种同情的表达,一丝希望。
As the case against me grew stronger by the hour and by the day, I looked in vain for one expression of sympathy, one ray of hope.
我仔细观察陪审员的表情,从新闻记者的表情中寻找理解和宽容,但我在他们的脸上只看到轻蔑和蔑视。
I searched the faces of the jurors, and I looked for understanding and tolerance in the expressions of men from the press, but I saw nothing on those faces but scorn and contempt.
证人,证人。
Witnesses, witnesses.
我无法动摇他们的证词。
I couldn't shake their testimony.
陪审团听得入迷了。
A jury listened to them, fascinated.
我怀疑那句老话到底是否正确。
I wondered if that old saying was right after all.
我是我自己的律师。
I was my own lawyer.
我是一个傻瓜客户吗?
Had I a fool for a client?
-检察官刚刚结束了对陪审团的总结。
- Prosecutors closed summation to jury just now.
说惠蒂尔的不在场证明是微不足道的。
Said Whittier's alibis were just dribble.
17号♥和22号♥都没有不在场证明。
No alibi at all for the crime of the 17th and none for the 22nd.
哦,别着急。
Oh, hold your horses.
是的,我想是的,他完全堕落了。
Yeah, I think so, he's downright depraved.
是的,肯定的。
Yeah, positive.
就是这个,引用地方检察官的话。
Here it is, yeah, DA quote.
“判他抢劫罪就像你回家一样。
"To convict him of robbery is just like you going home.
“服刑对他来说毫无意义。”
"Doing time means nothing to him."
等一下,这里有句话要引用。
Wait a sec, here's something to quote.
违反假释,兽♥性♥犯罪,道德错误,无法无天,冷酷,精于算计,恶毒。
Parole violator, bestial crimes, morally wrong, lawlessly cold, calculating, vicious.
当然,他是个虐待狂恶魔,而且是加油站的常客。
Sure, he's a sadistic fiend and a cinch for the gas route.
好吧,再见。
Okay, bye.
-然后轮到我向陪审团发言了。
- Then it was my turn to address the jury.
陪审团的女士们先生们。
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury.
你听到公诉人的话了。
You heard the prosecutor.
我在这里告诉你,我没有犯红灯犯犯的那些罪。
I say to you here that I'm not guilty of the crimes ascribed to the Red Light Bandit.
我在这里告诉你,我不是红灯强盗,我发誓,我说的是实话。
I say to you here, I'm not the Red Light Bandit, I swear, I'm telling the truth.
我想指出的是,这些罪行是由一个笨拙的外行犯下的。
I'd like to point out that these crimes were committed by a bungling amateur.
检察官说我是个久经沙场的职业罪犯。
The prosecutor says I'm a long-time hardened and professional criminal.
当然,像我这样经验丰富的人不会像目击者所说的那样,拿着枪感到紧张。
Certainly, a man of my experience wouldn't be nervous with a gun, as the witnesses said the attacker was.
我希望你考虑一下警方广播的描述。
I'd like you to consider the descriptions broadcast by the police.
男性白种人,光滑的脸,年轻,深色,卷发,黑眼睛。
Male Caucasian, smooth face, young, dark, curly hair, dark eyes.
这可能是我。
This could be me.
但也可能是成千上万的其他人。
But it could also be thousands of others.
描述上还说五英尺六到五英尺十。
The description also said five foot six to five foot 10.
重150到170磅。
Weighs 150 to 170 pounds.
一些受害者报告说,红灯大盗说话带有口音。
Some of the victims reported the Red Light Bandit talked with an accent.
这个描述适合我吗?
Does this description fit me?
我身高超过六英尺。
I'm over six feet tall.
我体重超过180。
I weigh over 180.
我走了一天半多。
I walked for over a day and a half.
最后。
And in the end.
-陪审团认定你在18项指控中有17项罪名成立,其中两项可判死刑。
- The jury has found you guilty on 17 of the 18 charges, on two of which the penalty is death.
-法官大人,除了我有权自动上诉之外,我现在以审判无效为由申请驳回。
- Your Honor, aside from the automatic appeal to which I'm entitled, I move now for dismissal on the grounds of mistrial.
如你所知,法庭记录员两天前在审判结束前去世了。
As you know, the court reporter died two days ago before this trial ended.
法律要求有适当的庭审证词记录。
The law requires a proper transcript of trial testimony.
我认为另一个人不可能从一个死去的记者的速记笔记中准备一份合适的审判记录。
I maintain it's impossible for another person to prepare from a dead reporter's shorthand notes a proper transcript of this trial.
我将仔细考虑这项动议。
- I shall take the motion under advisement.
-该动议被否决。
- The motion was denied.
我辩称我被判违宪。
I argued that I was being unconstitutionally convicted.
双重死刑判决成立。
The double death sentence held.
六年前,他们把我带到死囚区。
They brought me here to death row, six years ago.
六年前。
Six years ago.
在死囚区待了六年
Six years in death row.
在一口♥活♥棺材里待了六年。
Six years in a living coffin.
一个10英尺半长,4英尺半宽的棺材,我的家,
A coffin 10 1/2 feet long, 4 1/2 feet wide, my home,
我的办公室,以法律对抗法律,寻求法律奇迹,发出令状,暂停,上诉一次又一次。
my office, fighting the law with the law, searching for legal miracles, writs, stays, appeal after appeal.
四次到美国最高法♥院♥。
Four times to the Supreme Court of The United States.
研究了数百本法律书籍,写了数千字,两次都是在毒气室的几个小时内完成的。
Hundreds of law books studied, thousands of words written, twice before now within hours of the gas chamber.
我已经死过50次了。
I've already died 50 times.
黑夜过去了,就这样。
The night is gone, this is it.
我不能表现出恐惧。
I can't show fear.
但我害怕,天堂的上帝原谅我。
But I am afraid, God in heaven forgive me.
都是我的错。
It's been all my fault.
我现在知道是什么让一个人进了死牢。
I know now what brings a man to death row.
不是社会,不是遗传,不是环境,只有人自己。
Not society, not heredity, not environment, only the man himself.
我一个人该受责备。
I alone am to blame.
-你又犯了,怀特。
- You've done it again, Whit.
-不是吧。
- No kiddin'.
-州最高法♥院♥暂缓审理
- A stay from the State Supreme Court.
-我以为是坏消息。
- I thought it was the bad news.
听着,法官批准暂缓执行的时候有什么评论吗?
Listen, did the judge make any comment when he granted the stay?
给,我在电♥话♥里做了些笔记。
- Here, I took some notes over the phone.
你可以在晨报上读到事实和法官的意见。
You'll be able to read the facts and the judge's opinion in the morning papers.
——嗯。
- Eh.
时间,这就是我所需要的。
Time, that's all I need.
超过100天的生命。
Over 100 more days of life.
我得马上开始写我的新辩护状。
I gotta start on my new brief right away.
-记者在楼下,他们想见你。
- The reporters are downstairs, they wanna see you.
-我的荣幸。
- My pleasure.
你说什么都行,典狱长。
Anytime you say, Warden.
-我会打给你的。
- I'll call ya.
怀特提交了他的新诉状,但美国最高法♥院♥再次拒绝审查他的案件。
- Whit filed his new brief, but The United States Supreme Court again refused to review his case.
初审法♥院♥再次确定了处决他的日期。
The date for his execution was once more set by the trial court.
1月11日,就在怀特去世的前三天,巡回法♥院♥的首席大♥法♥官在听证会上暂缓执行死刑。
On January 11th, just three days before Whit was to die, the Chief Justice of the Circuit Court stayed the execution pending a hearing.
所以这个人的故事还没有结束还有2455号♥牢房♥的故事,死囚区。
So the story of this man is not yet over nor is the story of cell 2455, death row.
无论惠特是下了毒气室,还是未来会发生什么,2455号♥房♥依然屹立,等待着下一个惠特尔的到来。
电影精选列表