你做的这一切只为了
You'd do all that just
一出戏中的一个角色
for a part in a play?
为争取这么好的角色
I'd do much more
我还能做出更多事
for a part that good.
饿了吗
Hungry?
我并不意外
I'm not surprised,
在你受了这么多辱耻之后
after all that humble pie.
没这回事 我和凯伦相谈甚欢
Nothing of the kind. Karen and I had a nice talk.
女人之间的谈心
Heart to heart? Woman to woman?
包括提及
Including a casual reference
你想扮演可拉这个角色
to the part of Cora and your hopes of playing it?
我坦白
I discussed it very openly.
告诉她我向洛伊提过
I told her I'd spoken to Lloyd,
而且他也乐观其成
and that he was interested.
凯伦一定是告诉你
And Karen mentioned, of course,
玛格想扮演那个角色
that Margo expects to play the part?
奇怪的是 她并未提到玛格
Oddly enough, she didn't say a word about Margo.
她只说她会尽力帮我
Just that she'll be happy to do
争取到那个角色
what she can to see that I play it.
就这样
Just like that, eh?
就这样
Just like that.
夏娃 有时总我认为
You know, Eve, sometimes I think
你对我有所隐瞒
you keep things from me.
这笑话并不好笑
I don't think that's funny.
我说的是实话
It wasn't meant to be.
我对你所透露的秘密
I confide in you
和对你的信赖
and rely on you
比我对任何人还要多
more than anyone I've ever known.
我现在说出这样的话
To say a thing like that now, without any reason,
当我在最需要你的时候
when I need you more than ever.
希望你说的是实话
I hope you mean what you say.
希望你能说到做到
I intend to hold you to it.
我们之间有许多共同之处
We have a great deal in common, it seems to me.
情况如何
Well, what happened?
没什么 她向我道了歉
Nothing much. She apologized.
-痛哭失声 -痛哭失声
-With tears? -With tears.
但不是一见面就痛哭失声
But not right away.
先兵后礼
First fight them back, chin up, stout fellow.
-没错 -这是她拿手的模式
-Check. -Very classy. Lots of technique.
你是说这一回她只是向你道歉
You mean all this time she's done nothing but apologize?
你如何回应
What did you say?
没什么
Not much.
新郎 我能要一个结婚礼物吗
Groom, may I have a wedding present?
你要什么 德州
What would you like? Texas?
我要大家绝口不提夏娃
I want everybody to shut up about Eve.
我是我唯一的要求
Just shut up about Eve. That's all I want.
给凯伦再倒杯酒
Give Karen more wine.
我从未这么快乐过
Never have I been so happy.
这餐厅真漂亮 小熊屋
Isn't it a lovely room? The Cub Room.
多好听的名字啊
What a lovely, clever name.
精英分子的聚集之处
Where the elite meet.
从未看过那么多精英分子
Never have I seen so much elite,
同时将目光集中在我身上
all with their eyes on me,
等待我用酒瓶
waiting for me to crack that little gnome
去敲那小贱♥人♥的头
on the noggin with a bottle.
但不是今晚
But not tonight.
今晚我要宽大为怀
I'm forgiving tonight.
即使是对夏娃我要饶了她
Even Eve. I forgive Eve.
他们要走了
There they go.
夏娃走了
There goes Eve.
小妖精夏娃
Eve Evil, little Miss Evil.
但塞翁失马
But "the evil that men do..."
这句话怎么说 新郎倌
How does that go, groom?
焉知非福
Something about the good they leave behind.
我曾在威凯斯巴瑞
I played it once
扮演过这个角色
in rep in Wilkes-Barre.
你的确是因祸得福
You've got it backwards, even for Wilkes-Barre.
知道我为何会原谅夏娃吗
Do you know why I forgive Eve?
因为她促成了一件好事
She left good behind.
她使我们四人能聚集在此
The four of us here together,
这是夏娃的错 而我原谅了她
it's Eve fault. I forgive her.
还有比尔
And Bill,
特别是比尔 她也有份
especially Bill. She did that too.
或许她是出于一片好意
You know, she probably means well after all.
她是卑鄙的小人
She is a louse.
别想猜透玛格这个人
Never try to outguess Margo.
-新郎 -什么事 亲爱的
-Groom? -Yes, dear.
知道我将成为什么样的人吗
Do you know what I'm going to be?
牛仔
A cowboy?
已婚女子 还有一张证书
-A married lady. -With a paper to prove it.
我在6点时抬头一看
I'm going to look up at six o'clock,
他就在眼前
and there he'll be.
-还记得吗 凯伦 -记得
-Remember, Karen? -I remember.
你会出现在我眼前吧
You'll be there, won't you?
我会尽到做丈夫的义务的
Often enough to keep the franchise.
不再假扮
No more make-believe,
不论是在台下或台下
offstage or on.
记得吗 洛伊 从现在开始
Remember, Lloyd? I mean it now.
洛伊 你愿意向我保证
Lloyd, will you promise
不生我的气
not to be angry with me?
这得视情况而定
That depends.
我是指勃然大怒
No, I mean deeply angry.
我不会的
I don't think I could be.
我不想扮演可拉了
Well, I don't want to play Cora.
什么
What?
别激动
You're always so touchy
你对他的戏剧总是挑剔不已
about his plays.
这与角色无关
It isn't the part.
这是一出杰出的戏剧
It's a great part
了不起的角色
and a fine play.
但不再适合我了
But not for me anymore.
不再适合一个
Not for a foursquare,
即将结婚的女人
upright, downright, forthright, married lady.
结婚跟这件事何干
What's your being married got to do with it?
结婚代表
It means
我终于能过个像样的生活
I've finally got a life to live.
我无须再晚上无事可做
I don't have to play parts I'm too old for
而扮演过于年轻的角色
just because I've got nothing to do with my nights.
洛伊 我知道你已拟好计划
Oh, Lloyd,
相信我 我会配合的
I'll make it up to you, believe me.
我将继续巡回演出
I'll tour a year
这出戏一年
with this one, anything.
你能体谅吧
Only you do understand, don't you?
-什么事那么好笑 -没事
-What's so funny? -Nothing.
-没事 -一切都那么可笑
-Nothing? -Everything. Everything's so funny.
洛依从未问过我
Lloyd never got around to asking
由夏娃演出可拉是否恰当
whether it was all right with me for Eve to play Cora.
说来奇怪 比尔一开始拒绝
Bill, oddly enough, refused to direct the play at first,
导这出戏由夏娃演出的戏
with Eve in it.
洛伊和马克斯最后才说服他
Lloyd and Max finally won him over.
玛格从未来排演
Margo never came to rehearsal.
她说家里有太多杂务
"Too much to do around the house, " she said.
我从没想到比尔和洛伊
I'd never known Bill and Lloyd to fight as bitterly and often,
会为了夏娃而经常争执不休
and always over some business for Eve,
为了她的一个动作
or a move,
或是念对白的方式
or the way she read a speech.
也不知道洛伊会干预
But I'd never known Lloyd to meddle as much
比尔的指导
with Bill's directing,
影响夏娃的方式
as far as it affected Eve, that is.
夏娃让他们不断起争执
Somehow Eve kept them going.
电影精选列表