期待数年的这么美好的一天
that people have been looking forward to for years, really.
他们把它直立起来 朝着观察区旋转
They raised it upright and rotated it towards the viewing area,
我们都看到了那面镜子
and we all got to see that mirror.
那就像是“哇 不能哭”的时刻
And that was just a, like, "Whew, don't start crying" moment.
我是说 因为你在这面镜子 看到了自己的反射
I mean, because you're... you're seeing your own reflection
而就是这面镜子要去探测
in the same mirror that's going to detect light
婴儿星系和遥远星球的光线
from infant galaxies and distant planets.
想到这面镜子上也能看到我? 这也太酷了
And to think that it's also seeing me? Like, that was... that was really cool.
我们设计了这个望远镜
We've designed this telescope
专门为了在红外光下看宇宙
specifically to see the universe in infrared light.
距离最远的星系太远了
The most distant galaxies are so far away
它们发出来的光都是红外光
that they are emitting all of their light as infrared light,
光会比你眼睛能看到的范围更红一点
light that's a little bit more red than what your eyes can see.
就算我们有像哈勃一样的 可见光望远镜
Even if we had a telescope like Hubble, a visible-light telescope,
那会更大
that was much, much, much bigger,
我们还是无法看到 那些第一星系发出的光
we still wouldn't be able to see the light from these first galaxies.
虽然我们设计这个望远镜 主要是为了研究早期星系
While we designed this telescope to primarily study early galaxies,
它太大、太强了
the fact that it's so big and so powerful
这意味着它会有空前的能力
means that it will have unprecedented capability
来帮助我们更多地了解系外行星 围绕着其他恒星的行星
in helping us learn more about exoplanets, about planets orbiting other stars.
尤其是附近的行星是否
In particular, about whether or not any of the nearby planets
有可能适合居住
might be potentially habitable.
它的工作方式是
The way it will do that
观察那颗行星大气层中的分子
is by looking at the molecules that are in that planet's atmosphere.
它可以探测到沼气 二氧化碳、水蒸汽
It would be able to detect methane, carbon dioxide, water vapor.
哪里有水 哪里通常就有生命
Where there's water, there's usually life.
可以好不夸张地说 这架望远镜是我们
It's not a stretch to say that this telescope
在宇宙搜寻生命的下一个巨大飞跃
is our next, sort of, giant leap in our search for life in the universe.
我是说 如果我说 看 这里有五个星球 那里看起来
I mean, how amazing would it be if I said, "Look, here are five planets,
好像有生命 多棒啊?
it looks like there is life there"?
你能想象吗?这会改变一切
Can you imagine? That changes everything.
韦伯是人类最好的成果
Webb is humans at its best,
对外太空存在的东西的无私追求
a selfless pursuit of what's really out there.
多了解我们自己 我们的历史、世界本身
Learning more about ourselves, our history, about the world itself.
我觉得非常棒
I think it's incredibly amazing.
我在瑞士长大
I grew up in Switzerland.
我父亲是原教主义教会的传教牧师
My father was an evangelist pastor in a fundamentalist church.
我们几乎没听说过科学
We hardly ever heard about science.
我从小就被教导说整个宇宙是在 七天内建立的
I was taught all my youth that the whole universe was built in seven days.
然后我上了一堂课
And then I went to one class.
老师解释了科学是如何改变历史的
The teacher explained how science changed the trajectory of history.
我想 这是我想要的工作
And I thought, "That's the job I want."
“我可以做科学 并通过它改变历史”
"I can do science, and through it, change the course of history."
我已经工作五年了
I've been in the job for five years.
很多人认为我不够耐心
Many people think of me as not patient enough.
我的责任感有时会让人感觉很严厉
My way of accountability sometimes can come across as harsh.
但如果失败了
But suppose it failed.
这会让世界科学的整个历史倒♥退♥
It would set the whole history of world science back
十到二十年
by one to two decades.
我会追踪所有的里程
I track all my miles.
一整年...每年的目标是1600公里
The whole year... A thousand is the goal every year.
取决于今年的压力有多大 上下波动 压力越大距离越远
Depending on how stressful the year is, it's more or less.The more stress, the more miles.
接近2000公里
Closing in on 1,200.
美国宇航局 对吧? 是创造了标语的机构
NASA, right? This is the agency that has coined the... the tagline,
“没有失败这个选项”的机构
''Failure is not an option.''
这是一个听起来很棒的标语
It's a tagline that sounds really good,
但每次我们做任务的时候 就是有失败这个选项
but every time we do a mission, failure is an option.
你一开始就有各种挑战
There are all these challenges from the very beginning.
空间望远镜研究所将负责管理望远镜
This institute will be managing a telescope
计划于2007年发射它
with a launch projected for 2007.
目标预算是五亿美元
The target price for doing this will be 500 million dollars.
第一次有人说这个价格的时候
The first time somebody talked about the price of that telescope,
所有在哈勃太空望远镜上工作的人
everybody who had... had worked on... on the Hubble Space Telescope,
那个望远镜当时花了超过60亿美元
which was close... more than six billion dollars,
他们都知道这完全是胡扯
knew it's total bullshit.
随着项目的发展
As the project grew,
突然间 开销到了60亿美元
all of a sudden, the cost went to six billion dollars.
霍华德先生 你看过《钱之坑》 这个电影吗?
Mr. Howard, did you ever see the movie called The Money Pit?
是的 当然
Yes, absolutely.
我觉得那部电影的经典台词是 “只剩两周了”
I think the standard line in that movie was, ''It's only two more weeks.''
现在我们能怎么给选民们解释?
Mm-hmm. Now, how can we justify this to our constituents?
国会进行了调查
There was an investigation by Congress.
他们说 我们杀了这个项目
And they basically said, "Let's kill that thing."
当时感觉这个项目没有机会了
It felt like it wasn't going to happen.
国会打算叫停我们
Congress was going to cancel us.
太震惊了
It was a shock.
我是个急着用这个望远镜 做科学的年轻科学家
I'm a... a young scientist anxious to do science with this telescope,
现在我们要在这一切努力之后停止?
and now we're stopping after all this time?
国会说 我们会给你钱 这个时候我就介入了
Congress said, "We'll give you the money," and that's when I came in.
没人想谈这件事 感觉像是“这... 没关系”
Nobody wanted to talk about it.It's like, "Oh, it's... it's not... it's fine."
你问“你表现如何?” 他们说“时间在白白流逝 但没关系”
It's like, "Well, how are you performing?" "We're losing time, but it will be fine."
并不是没关系
It was not fine.
我记得它准备好接受 震动和声音测试了
I remember it getting ready for vibration and acoustics.
你要做的是试图破坏望这个远镜
What you do is you try to break the telescope.
你当然想让它挺过来
Of course you want it to survive, but you shake it
但你要像它在火箭里那样摇晃它
just like it will be shaken in the rocket.
我们像在发射时那样 对它进行声音轰炸
And we blasted sound at it, just like it will see during a launch.
第一个测试非常顺利
The first test went really, really well.
然后当我们用飞船和 遮光板测试它的时候
Then, when we tested it with the spacecraft and the sunshield,
紧固件开始脱落
the fasteners started falling down.
那东西上能有一万颗螺丝
There's 10,000 screws on that thing.
如果你修过自行车 就会知道
Now, if you've ever fixed a bicycle,
如果你把紧固件放上 需要拧紧它 它才会锁上
you realize if you put the fastener on, you need to tighten it, so it locks.
紧固件没锁上
The fasteners were not locked.
怎么会这样?
How can that be?
它要去太空了 紧固件需要被锁起来
It needs to go to space. The fasteners need to be locked.
所以我们必须重新检查所有的紧固件 找到每一个紧固件
So we had to redo all the fasteners, find all of them.
用了六个月
It took six months
花了1.5亿美元来修复这个问题
and cost 150 million dollars to fix the problem.
坦白说 大家犯了很多不该犯的错
Frankly, people are making more mistakes than they should.
太丢人了
It's embarrassing.
在此期间 与其他所有任务相比 我们这个任务
In the meantime, we got the largest number of negative news stories
得到了最多负面新闻
of that mission, as compared to any and all of them.
没人想成为失败的一部分
Nobody wants to be part of a stinker.
每个人都想成为成功的一部分 就像任何运动比赛队一样
Everybody wants to be part of a success, just like any sports team.
你要逆转局势 不能再输了
You need to turn it around. You need to stop losing.
团队一直都是很棒的人
The team, they were always amazing people.
我认为这是领导力的问题
I consider it a leadership issue.
我们会有刮伤和损坏镜面的风险
We run the risk of scratching and damaging the mirror,
所以我们必须非常小心
so we have to be very careful about that.
我需要做的是取代领导者们 来把团队凝结到一起
What I needed to do is replace leaders to bring that team together
来创造做这么伟大的事 需要的那种专注力
and create the attention that it requires to do something this magnificent.
所以你想要这种能量 “是的 我们要做到”
Right, so you want the energy, "Yes, we're going to do this."
我觉得情况就是这样
And then I think that's what happened.
我记得那天 我...
I remember the day where I basically...
第一次非常惊讶
For the first time, I was really surprised.
那两半
The two halves,
主镜和遮光板 它们需要整合起来
the primary mirror and the sunshield, they had to come together.
我知道这会很困难
I knew that was going to be really hard.
那两半从没碰过面
They had never seen each other, those two halves.
所有的系统、所有的电缆 一切都要运转良好
All the systems, all the cables, everything had to work.
当两半整合在一起时...
When the two halves came together...
第一次就成功了
it worked the first time.
团队刚好完成了他们需要做的
The team were just barely where they needed to be,
他们并没有超前 突然间 他们就超前了
and they were not ahead, and all of sudden, they got ahead.
他们超出了人们的预期
They were better than what people had expected them to be.
太棒了
That is amazing.
我们的任务基本已经准备好了
We have a mission that's basically ready.
如果有人问我 你现在对发射韦伯 有多确定了?
If somebody asks me, "How certain are you to launch Webb right now?"
我可以用我的房♥子做赌注
I'm betting my house.
电影精选列表