And he promptly went...
然后从飞机上跳了下去
and fell off the aeroplane.
我当时非常兴奋
I was excited,
启动了飞机 开始滑跑
and I started the aeroplane, taxied out.
我很幸运 飞机完美离地了
Fortunately, made the perfect take-off.
当时在天上 我就想
Up in the air, I thought,
我飞上去了 我一定要做点什么
"l'm here, I must do something."
所以我就在天上圈圈转转 上上下下
So I went round and round and up and down.
这感觉特别棒
It was so delightful.
这过程♥真♥的享受极了
I had a lovely time
一直到我不得不降落
before I had to land it.
我想着 噢 我的天哪
I thought, "Oh, my goodness."
一位试飞员曾经这样评论她
A test pilot once said
在天是仙女
that she was a lady in the air
在地是贱♥人♥
but a bitch on the ground.
这是因为她的起落架
Now this was because she had a much
比飓风的短得多
narrower undercart than the Hurricane.
所以你降落的时候得格外小心
So you had to be very careful in landing.
这往往非常危险
It was quite often very dangerous.
我们从来没有过无线电
We had no radio at any time.
没有一点救援
No aids whatsoever.
不仅如此 还会受到恶劣天气
In between this, there was the hazards of the bad weather
和爆♥炸♥气球的威胁
and the balloons which would pop up.
飞行员会因此丧命
And people did get killed.
有人受伤死亡
There were casualties.
我们一直能听到他们的消息
One heard of them all the time.
但是对于发生的事情
But I think the thought of what was happening,
战争从不间断 那种思绪会被我们抛之脑后
the war as a whole, was always in the back of our minds.
那会儿总会有消息传来
There was always news coming through
战胜啊 战败啊
of either defeats or setbacks.
但说实话 这种感觉很不错
And it was a nice feeling, however modest,
当你可以为这场战争献力
that you were doing something to help the war.
1941年 希♥特♥勒♥对于英国已经无能为力
In 1941, with Britain beyond his reach,
他把魔爪伸向了北非
Hitler turned his attention to North Africa.
赢得这战争便可获得
The prize was control of the
地中海和阿♥拉♥伯油田的掌控权
Mediterranean and the Arabian oilfields.
战争在沙漠上疯狂蔓延
As battle raged in the desert,
在马耳他岛上 他的补给线常常受到
his supply lines were under constant attack
英国飞机的攻击
by British aircraft based on Malta.
这小小的岛屿承受着一场巨大的轰炸战
The tiny island was subjected to a massive bombing campaign.
马耳他
不惜任何代价也得守住它
It had to be defended at all costs.
喷火式飞机留在了英国
With Spitfires being held back in Britain,
于是飓风被运上航♥空♥母舰来执行这个任务
Hurricanes were sent on aircraft carriers to do the job.
年轻的飞行员将要面对一个全新的
The young pilots would face a new challenge,
充满危险的挑战
fraught with risk.
我们从来没有在
None of us had taken off
航♥空♥母舰上起飞或是降落过
from a carrier or landed on a carrier.
当那天来的时候 我们得在黎明时起飞
So the day arrived, and we were going to fly off at dawn.
我讨厌黎明时就起飞
Now, I hated flying off at dawn.
我过去常常想
I used to think,
看在上帝的份上为什么不能
"Why in God's name don't we take off
汤姆·尼尔
战斗机飞行员
英国皇家空军249中队
先吃一顿饱饭再起飞呢
at lunchtime after a good lunch?"
偏偏非得在黎明的时候
You always had to do it at dawn.
于是我们23架飞机
So there I was, one of 23 aircraft,
排成一列等待起飞
lined up waiting to take off.
有一架管鼻燕做引领
We were being led by a Fulmar.
如果天底下有什么东西
Now if there was one thing that was
比飓风还差劲的话 那一定是管鼻燕
worse than a Hurricane, it was a Fulmar.
这种飞机几乎毫无用处
It was a useless, useless aeroplane.
但我们要一直跟着管鼻燕前往马耳他
And we were going to follow the Fulmar all the way to Malta.
无线电一直静默
And everything was radio silence.
我们一个词也不能说
We weren't supposed to utter a word
不然行踪就会暴露给德国海军
in case we gave the whereabouts to the fleet.
我们飞了一个小时 突然
And we did go for an hour, and suddenly
那架领着我们的管鼻燕
the Fulmar which is leading us
引擎出了故障 在云里消失了
had an engine problem and disappeared into cloud.
于是我就被丢在那里
So I was left there.
没有地图 不知道马耳他在哪里
I didn't have any maps. I didn't know where Malta was.
只有一群敌人围着我
All I knew was I was surrounded by the enemy.
我那时只有20岁啊
And I was just 20 years of age.
我不知道该怎么办
I didn't know what to do.
只能绕着圈子
And I flew round in circles with ten
另外十个人跟着我一起绕圈子
people following me around in circles,
他们把我当做引路人
them looking at me as a leader,
但我真的一无所知
and me not knowing what to do.
我一直在向上帝祈祷 一直在祈祷
And I can tell you, I prayed, I prayed.
不知道怎么办 该怎么办
I didn't know what to do, what to do.
上帝回答我了
And God answered.
他并没有打来一道闪电
He doesn't answer you with a flash of lightning,
而是给了我一个以前从没想过得的念头
he puts something in your head that you never thought of before.
我当时想 我最好
And I thought, "What I'd better do now
飞回到直布罗陀
is fly all the way back to Gibraltar,"
它在反方向 有850英里远
which was 850 miles in the opposite direction.
于是我就出发了 上帝保佑
So I set off. By the grace of God,
我遇到了海军军舰划出来的水痕
I came across the wake of the Navy
之后找到了航♥空♥母舰和大约20到25艘船
and found the Ark Royal and all the fleet, 20, 25 ships.
我想 这些人看到我会有什么反应
l thought "What are they going to do with me?"
他们可能会朝我开火 把我看成敌人
"They're going to shoot at rne. They'll think I'm the enemy."
怎么才能让他们知道我是朋友
"How do I let them know that I'm a friend?"
他们重新找了一架管鼻燕 把它开了过来
So then they found another Fulmar, they scrambled it,
于是我们又开始跟着它
and we began to follow it again,
在海面上20英尺处
20 feet above the waves.
我们在天上飞了好几个小时
We'd been in the air several hours.
油用完了
We had no fuel.
一点油也没有了
No fuel at all.
马耳他突然出现在我们眼前
And Malta suddenly appeared.
我还记得我们飞过那悬崖
And I remember going over the cliffs.
逐渐靠近卢卡
And I was approaching Luqa,
飞机场在眼前呈现
and the airfield in front of me rose up.
炸♥弹♥炸出弹坑
Bomb blasts and craters.
我一直在向下望
All the time I'd been looking down
看看要不要降落到地面上
to see if I was going to land on the ground.
当我一抬头 天上密密麻麻的德国飞机
I looked up, and the air was filled with Germans.
差不多有50或者100架
About 50 or a hundred of them.
去他妈的 我当时骂道
I said, "Sod it,
管他这么多 把飞机降下来就好了
no matter what I do, I'm going to land her."
于是我的飞机就降在一个个弹坑之间
So I landed between all the bomb holes.
过了两天之后
And two days later...
我们听到了空袭♥警♥报器的响声
...we heard the air-raid sirens going
有三架109式飞机
and then these three 109s appeared
在离地20英尺的地方朝我们开火
20 feet above the ground, firing.
子弹穿进帐篷在头顶上掠过
And the bullets were going through the tent above my head.
我们甚至还没来得及起飞
They wrote us all off
他们就把我们干掉了
before we'd even taken off.
这样一来我们就没有飞机可飞
So we didn't have aeroplanes to fly.
但是在1942年3月 喷火式飞机到了
And suddenly, the Spitfires arrived in March 1942,
上帝保佑
by the grace of God.
马耳他的局势陷入僵持
With the fate of Malta in the balance,
喷火式战斗机来得恰是时候
the arrival of the Spitfires came just in time.
这是空军124中队
And that's 124 Squadron,
我加入的第一支中队
the first squadron that I joined.
阿兰·斯考特
战机飞行员
空军124中队
那时我还是一个空军中士
In those days I was a sergeant pilot.
我在这里 第一排
And there I am, one,
右边过去第二个 在这儿
two in from the right, there.
当时我很年轻 只有18岁
A very young 18-year-old.
之后 我被调去了马耳他鹰号♥航母
Now, I was posted to Malta. The Eagle.
我们就在这艘航母上起飞
And that's the one we flew off.