Father all dressed up in black one day and went off and...
他去世了
that was it.
显然这对每个人来说都很悲伤
It was very sad, obviously,for everybody,
尤其是对团队来说
especially in the team,
他们的领队离开了
when their leader's gone.
在最需要的时候
In its hour of greatest need,
这个国家失去了这位年仅42岁的
the country had lost its greatest aircraft designer
最伟大的飞机设计师
at the age of 42.
现在是争分夺秒完成喷火战机的时刻
It was now a race against time to get the Spitfire finished.
另一个新的战机将加入英国 飓风战机
It would join Britain's other new fighter, the Hawker Hurricane.
在即将到来的战争中 都起着重要作用
Both would prove vital in the coming conflict.
一家位于伊斯特利的喷火战机制♥造♥工厂
A welcome sight in the Vickers works at Eastleigh,
维克斯工厂正在高速制♥造♥喷火战机
one of the factories where the production of Spitfires is rapidly going ahead.
在当下的欧洲
In the present state of Europe,
这个国家不可能有太多这种
the country couldn't possibly have too many of these fighters,
宣称是全世界最快的战机
which claim to be the fastest in the world.
他们强大的引擎排好队等待安装
Their powerful engines are lined up ready for installation,
每一个生产和装配的操作都
and every operation of manufacture and assembly is carried out
有着英国工人极其精确地工艺
with that delicate precision for which British workmanship is famous.
组装完成后机器会被拿去被全面测试
On completion the machines are given a thorough try-out.
你会很惊喜地发现
You'll be pleased to notice
它的上升的速度以及在空中的灵巧性
the rapidity of their climb and their handiness in the air.
我当时已经到了茫然的19岁
I'd reached the dizzy age of 19,
当时每个人都考虑参军
and it was a time when everybody was beginning to think of joining up.
奈特·罗斯
战机飞行员
皇家空军602中队
我做过最正确的决定
And I decided the best thing to do
就是加入皇家空军志愿军
was to join the RAFVR, volunteer reserve.
在需要我我的时候 我被征召参加飞行训练
And, in due course, I did get called up for flying training.
所以我的飞行事业从一架虎蛾式开始
And so my flying career started in a Tiger Moth.
我渴望飞行 但这是件昂贵的事业
I wanted to fly but it was an expensive business.
乔弗里·维鲁姆
战机飞行员
皇家空军92中队
所以我想着 最便宜的方式就是加入空军
So I thought, "The cheapest way is join the Air Force."
他们可能会花钱让你学习飞行
"They probably pay you to learn to fly."
我写信给空军指挥部
I wrote off to Air Ministry saying that,
大概就是说 我刚离开学校不到一年
basically, I was leaving school within
并且渴望驾驶飞机
a year and wanted to fly an aeroplane
他们可否给我一个机会
and could they give me a job, really.
1938年8月 喷火战机开始服役于皇家空军
in August 1938, the Spitfire entered RAF service.
不久之后
It was not a moment too soon.
今天早上 英国驻柏林大使
This morning, the British ambassador in Berlin
向德国政♥府♥交了最后一份文件
handed the German government a final note,
首相内维尔·张伯伦 1939年9月3日
声明中说
stating that unless we heard from them
除非我们在11点前
by 11 o'clock, that they were prepared,
听到他们准备立刻从波兰撤军的消息
at once, to withdraw their troops from Poland,
否则俩国将进入战争状态
a state of war would exist between us.
我不得不告诉你 我们没有收到
I have to tell you now that no such
撤军的保证
undertaking has been received,
因此 英国向德国宣战了
and that, consequently, this country is at war with Germany.
法恩斯在广播里说战争开始了
Farnes It came over the radio that we were at war.
我们每人喝了半杯酒然后向别人祝福
Had half a mug of wine each and wished each other good luck.
托尼·皮科瑞
保罗·法恩斯
战机飞行员
皇家空军501中队
就这样
And that was it.
当时非常激动
lt was quite emotional at the time.
我们和每个人都讨论过了
We discussed it with each other and...
如果你突然被告知战争开始了
Well, it's the sort of thing I think
我认为任何人
anyone would find a bit emotional
都会有点情绪化
if you're suddenly told that war had already been declared.
你知道你陷身与战争之中
You knew you were in it.
毕竟 这就是你训练的目的
Because after all, it was what you were being trained for.
这令人兴奋 很兴奋
It was exciting, exciting.
你知道 我们希望战争开始并且加入战争
We wanted the war to start, you know, and wanted to be in it.
不想被落在后面
Didn't want to be left behind.
汤姆·尼尔
战机飞行员
皇家空军249中队
还有 不要忘了 我当时18 19岁
And don't forget, I was 18, 19.
对当时的一切都很热情
Very enthusiastic about everything in those days.
当时我脑子里想的就是
What went through my mind was
我加入空军中队还要多久
how long would it be before I got on a squadron?
我先去了比金山
I went first of all I think it was to Biggin Hill.
托尼·皮克尔瑞
战机飞行员
皇家空军501中队
指挥长看着我说
And the CO looked at me and said,
你开过多久的飓风战机呢
"How many hours have you done on Hurricanes, Pickering?"
我说"我见都没见过呢 长官"
I said, "I've never even seen one, sir."
然后他说 好吧 我带你去看一看
So, he said, "Well, go on out there, go and have a look at it."
在训练的末期
Towards the end of my training,
战争进入了白日化
I think the war was getting a bit worrying to everybody
我从训练营中被带走
and I was taken out of practice camp
最后进了一个喷火战机中队
and I ended up in a Spitfire squadron.
第一次看到喷火战机时 我就想
When I first saw the Spitfire I thought,
我的上帝啊 这真是了不起
"My gosh, this is quite something."
地勤人员帮我系好了安全带
The ground crew had strapped me in
这一切都有一点吓人 即使只是刚开始
and it was all a bit intimidating, you know. Even the start-up.
烟又跑了回来 我能看到
Smoke coming right back... I can see it now.
我记得当时非常小心地滑行着
I remember taxiing out and being very careful.
在我拉下挡杆和风门杆后
It seemed to hurtle itself in the air
它好像要拎着我
with me hanging on to the stick and the throttle,
在空中飞驰
dragging me along with it, you know.
温斯顿·丘吉尔 1940年6月18日
1940年春天 希德勒在西方的进攻开始了
In the spring of 1940, Hitler's attack in the west began.
欧洲瓦解了
Europe crumbled.
法国战败后 英国撤退到敦刻尔克
When France fell, the British army retreated to Dunkirk
然后奇迹般地回到了家
and by a miracle return home.
现在希德勒眼中只有这一个国家了
Now just one country remained in Hitler's sights.
魏刚将军宣称法国之战已经结束
What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over.
与英国的战争要开始打响了
The Battle of Britain is about to begin.
希德勒知道在这片岛上他不得不
Hitler knows that he will have to
击垮我们 否则他将会战败
break us in this island or lose the war.
如果我们能站出来对抗他 整个欧洲
If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free
都能被解放 生活会变得更加广阔
and the life of the world may
阳光普照大地
move forward into broad, sunlit uplands.
德国人想要在
The Germans were going to
位于布莱顿和多弗之间的英国南海岸
land with a quarter of a million people
那片拥有25万人口的土地登陆
on the south coast of Britain between Brighton and Dover.
毋庸置疑 如果他们登陆了 就会赢
Had they landed, they would have won, without a doubt.
当然 世界的历史也会被改变
And the course of world history would've been changed.
我们充分意识到
We fully realised
我们要阻止德国佬过来
that we'd got to stop the Hun from getting over.
作为战斗机飞行员
and we knew that we were an important line in the defence,
我们会是这场防御战的重要部分
being fighter pilots.
如果他登陆并站稳脚跟 就很难再赶走它们
If he ever landed and secured a foothold, we'd never get him out.
从来没有想过失败 从未
There was never ever any thought of defeat. Never.
我们很自信 我们是最好的
We were cocky. We were the bee's knees.
毕竟 我们有最好的战机
After all, we'd got wonderful aircraft to fly.
我们很庆幸
We were very fortunate, in spite of the Treasury,
我们拥有喷火战机和飓风战机
that we had Spitfires and Hurricanes.
德国想要侵略成功
For a German invasion to succeed,
希德勒需要摧毁皇家空军及其机场
Hitler needed to destroy the Royal Air Force and its airfields
并控制空域
and secure mastery of the skies.
然而纳粹空军有2600架飞机
The Luftwaffe had 2,600 aircraft.
他们的数量是皇家空军的四倍
They outnumbered RAF Fighter Command by four to one.
对大多数年轻的飞行员来说
For most of the young pilots,
这会是他们的第一次行动
it would be their first time in action.
如果他们失败了 整个国家就将沦陷
If they failed, the country would fall.
显然 我们参与了
Obviously we were going to be involved
一场十分严峻的战事
in a pretty serious business.
被击落不是我的风格
Being shot down didn't appeal to me.
所以我想着 我该怎样避免
So I thought, "How do I avoid it?"
你会怎么让自己不成为靶子 怎么做呢
Make yourself a difficult target. How do you do that?
绝不飞直线且绝不在同一高度超过10秒