Never fly straight and level for more than ten seconds.
总会是你看不到的德国人将你击落
It's always the German you did not see that shot you down.
我从来没有想过未来会是什么样子
My thoughts never went to what the future might hold
也没有想过我们会不会渡过难关
or whether we were going to get
或者以后会发生什么
through it or what was going to happen.
毕竟 我们只有19 20或21岁
After all, we were only about 19 or 20, 21, you know.
我们都很年轻
We were pretty young.
我们都是好朋友
We were all pals together.
友谊万岁
The camaraderie was great.
我们知道要彼此依赖
We knew we depended upon each other.
我们知道无论我们在哪里 都能获得帮助
We knew that we were sure of getting support, wherever we were.
我被送去了位于欧克斯桥的
I was sent to Uxbridge, which is 11 Group headquarters,
第11小组指挥部的作战室
into the operations room.
我不想自吹自擂 但我是一个好的标定员
I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I was a good plotter.
我不应该这么说
I shouldn't say that.
但那就是为什么东南角总是我的
But that was why I was always on the southeast corner,
也是最忙碌的方位
which was the busy corner.
敌机在雷达上被选中
Enemy aircraft was picked up on the radar.
所有的信息都被送到了作战指挥部
All that information was sent to fight command.
他们把它整理好 然后把位置发给小组
They sorted it out, and then sent the plots out to the groups.
我们说 起飞 然后他们就飞上了天空
So we'd say "scramble" and they would have to get up in the air.
随着持续的标注
As the plots kept coming through,
我们会把箭头放到桌上
we would put the arrows on the table
这样指挥官就能清楚看到战事发展方向
so that the controller could see what was going on.
指挥官获得信息
The controller had the information
并把它传递给飞行员
and was able to pass it on to the pilot.
我还记得爬升的时候
I remember climbing up,
奋力向上 仰视着
struggling for height, and looking up.
敌机飞出来 在我头上20到30米
And this one went out. One of 20 to 30 above my head.
看到敌人近在咫尺的感觉令人着迷
And there's this fascination of seeing the enemy close at hand.
看到飞机上有黑色十字架
Seeing the black crosses and things on the aeroplanes.
并且你知道他即将会攻击你
And you know that it's going to attack you in a moment or two.
你有15秒的攻击时间
You had 15 seconds of ammunition.
每挺枪300发子弹
Three hundred rounds per gun.
我们的建议是正面进攻 直截了当
Our advice was to go in head-on attack, and go straight through.
不要四处飞散
And don't hang around.
因为他们的战斗机会随时来干掉你
‘Cause their fighters would come and pick you off if they could.
直接冲向他们 开枪
You went straight through them, fired your guns,
闭上眼睛开枪
closed your eyes and fired your guns.
然后 正面交战结束后
Then, providing you weren't hit by return fire,
确认没有被扭头击中
you were through the other side.
就几秒钟 几秒钟
In seconds, in seconds.
咻 就这样飞走
Phew, got away with that.
是啊
Yeah.
交火的时候
You got fire lines
喷火式战机和飓风战机四处轰鸣
Spitfires and Hurricanes screaming round.
大多数时间你根本不知道谁是谁
You wouldn't know who was who half the time.
我们喷火战机飞上面
We were up here in the Spitfires.
但是你可以看到飓风战机的动向
But you could see what the Hurricanes were doing.
我记得有三架飓向500台亨克尔俯冲而去
I can remember three Hurricanes diving in to 500 Heinkels.
亨克尔战机四散而逃
And the Heinkels scattering.
你就在敌人脚下
You see the enemy, you're within feet of them.
近到触手可及
Close enough to touch.
我记得向正前方向一架飞机开火时
I remember firing at an aircraft directly in front of me
有两个人接连带着他们
Two people came out so close with
未打开的降落伞跳了出来
their parachutes still undeveloped.
他们直接冲向我 以至于我觉得会砸到我
They came straight at me, and I thought he was going to hit me.
砰的一声
There was this bang.
我突然意识到一架109就在我身后
I suddenly realised it was a 109 right behind me.
他摘下护目镜 我可以看见他的头
He had his goggles down and I could see his head.
没错 就是那么近 很逼近
Oh, yeah, he was close. He was real close.
我抬头看到他在看着我
And I looked up and I could see him looking at me.
你学到了惨痛的教训
You learnt the hard way.
一旦看到火焰 你就不能在待在飞机上
Once you saw flames, you didn't stop on board an aircraft.
它很容易就这样爆♥炸♥
It could easily just blow like that.
也不会给你机会逃出去
And it wouldn't give you a chance to get out.
松开保险针 你就出来了
Release that pin and out you came,
就像瓶塞从瓶子里蹦出来一样
like a cork out of a bottle.
记得我乘降落伞到卡特尔汉姆的警卫仓库
I remember landing by parachute in the guards depot at Caterham.
他们带我去见上校
They took me to the colonel, who very
他很快打开了一瓶威士忌
quickly opened a bottle of whisky.
抿一口
"Have a sip!"
所以我看到了斯图卡俯冲轰炸机[Ju 87]
So I saw the Stukas.
他们一俯冲完 就不再爬升
Once they'd finished their dive, they didn't climb up again.
在低空朝法国飞去
They stayed low and headed out towards France.
这样 对我们就变得简单
And, so... it made it easy for us.
在最近的行动中
In recent operations,
空军的自动相机利用家用录像带拍摄影片
RAF automatic cameras, taking film of the small home-movie type,
被安装在飓风和喷火战机上
were attached to Hurricanes and Spitfires.
专门为这项任务打造可以装在机翼上
Built for the job, the camera fits into the wing.
当飞行员发射机♥枪♥时
It automatically takes pictures
它会自动拍照
when the pilot fires his machine gun and stops when the gun stops.
随着枪声停止而暂停
and stops when the gun stops.
战斗影像 第90
席格特·法恩斯 501中队
飓风对Ju 87
我击中了其中一架 它被击落了
Farnes I attacked one of them, I think, and it was shot down.
另一架掉进了海里
The other one went into the sea.
你对此毫无感觉
You don't have any feelings about it.
你所想的就是试图得到一个像样的镜头
All you think about is trying to get a decent shot at it.
我忍♥不住 但我确实很享受
I can't help it, but I did enjoy it.
我想很可能是对的
I think probably quite rightly,
从人性的角度来看
from the human point of view I suppose
当你身边的人被杀的时候
you shouldn't say you enjoyed it,
不能说很享受
when other people alongside you were being killed.
但恐怕 我当时确实很享受
But I'm afraid I... I probably did.
很难用一个简单的故事来描述
It's extraordinarily difficult to put
真的很难
an easy story on it, it really is.
战斗影像 第101
飞行员罗斯 第602中队
1940年8月16日
对Me110战机
确实有一次
There certainly were times when one was
对发生的事情相当害怕
quite frightened of what was going on.
我们三个 都跟着他
We, all three, got on his tail
我记得在向他开枪之后
and I can remember, after firing at him,
我就好像水面上的油脂一样滑溜
he was just more or less skimming along in the water.
我没有把他打入海中
And although I didn't knock him into the sea,
但跟着我的那个家伙肯定打爆了他
the chap following me certainly got him and he burst into flames
然后掉入海里
and went into the sea.
我们被告知在布罗德斯泰尔斯有109战机
We were told there were 109s over Broadstairs.
我碰巧低头一看
And I happened to look down and I saw
这两个家伙就在水上
these two chaps right on the water
从海岸飞出去
going out from the coast.
我们悄悄地跟在他们后面
And we quite clinically got behind them.
就在甲板上 他们没看见我们
Right on the deck, they hadn't seen us.
把他俩都打死了
We shot them both dead.
只有爆♥炸♥的声音
Just a "born-born" .
你得记住 我们说的是全面战争
You've got to remember, we're talking about total war.
我们起身反抗
And we were up against it, because
没有其他人帮助我们
there was nobody else helping us.
整个欧洲大♥陆♥都沦陷了
All the Continent had fallen down
是我们在对付这个怪物
and it was us against this monster.
到1940年8月底
By the end of August 1940,
纳粹德国空军对机场的每日攻击
the Luftwaffe's daily assaults on the airfields
把皇家空军的资源逼到了极限
were stretching RAF resources to the limit.
飞行员和地勤人员筋疲力尽
Pilots and ground crews were exhausted.
你从没想过你会被杀
Neil You never thought you were going to be killed.
回想起来 当你晚上躺在床上
And it's only in retrospect, when you're lying in bed at night,
你旁边的床突然空了
and the bed alongside you is suddenly empty.
他们在20 30 40英里外被杀
The fact that they were killed 20, 30, 40 miles away
意味着你把它们从你的记忆中抹去
means that you wiped them from your memory.
你永远不会太过亲近
You never got too close.
你保持一定的距离
You kept yourself at a certain distance.