because he was just too far ahead of his time,
也许只是因为他超前那个时代太多
maybe too smart too soon.
也许是太聪明而英年早逝
Being too smart too soon,he
因为英年早逝
didn't really get a chance to pursue more,
他并没有机会去做出更多成就
I think,because he just felt like,you know,
我想 或许因为他觉得
"What's the point
反正也没人会听我说什么
if no one's going to listen to me?"
继续做下去有什么意义呢
I am getting more comfortable with who my father is.
了解我的父亲越多
The more I'm learning about him,
我就越觉得庆幸有他做我的父亲
the more I am getting to know him,the more I like him,you know?
知道得越多 我就越发喜欢他
I know he,he seems like a good guy,to me,overall.
大体来讲 他在我眼里是个好人
He had his problems,obviously.
当然 他也有自己的问题
Tried pretty hard in his own weird way.
他以自己怪异的方式尽力做好这一切
He has already done more than I have done,
作为一个父亲
in terms of being a father,so,you know,
他所做的已远超过我所做的
you've got to give him that much.
你不得不承认他做过那么多
He let me play drums in the house.
他让我在家里打鼓
That's my train. I've got to go:
那是我的车 我要走了
on to the next fantastic voyage into my father's brain.
踏上探索我父亲的大脑的下一段奇妙旅程
Got to go.
该走了
My father died when I was 19.
我父亲去世那年我19岁
My sister died several years later,
几年后姐姐也去世了
and my mom died soon after she did.
在那之后不久 我母亲也撒手而去
And at that point,I had to go out and clean out the family house.
那时 我不得不清理了房♥子 搬了出来
I boxed up a whole bunch of stuff of my father's.
我把父亲的许多东西都打包收拾好
It's all been sitting under my house all these years,
这些年来一直放在我家的地下室
and I haven't ever looked at any of it.
我从来没有看过里面的任何东西
And,you know,it's a painful,painful world to open up.
那对我来说太过痛苦
For Hugh Everett's biographer,Peter Byrne,
对休·埃弗特的传记作者彼得·伯恩而言
this is an eagerly anticipated scientific gold mine,
这可是一座亟待挖掘的科学金矿
but it could also provide Mark
也可能为马克提供一些与他父亲
with some new clues about his father.
有关的新线索
Oh,wow,man. This is a really cool basement.
老兄 这真是个很酷的地下室
Where do you want to start?
你想从哪里开始
A treasure trove here.
这可真是一个宝库
That one over there? The plastic...
那边那个 塑料...
Want to start there,and then come back
从那边开始 然后再回过头看这边
and start looking at the work papers?
先开始看相关的论文
It's another rock 'n' roll party Saturday for me.
对我而言 这是一场别样的周六摇滚派对
This is the footnotes to a quantum mechanics paper.
这是一篇量子力学论文的脚注
This is the kind of stuff I would
我以前经常看到他
always see him writing at the dining room table.
在餐桌上写这种东西
It would look like this stuff,
就是这类东西
which looks like another language to me.
在我看来就是另一门语言
Yeah,that's linear algebra. It's quantum mechanics;
对 这是线性代数 这是量子力学
it's the language that they use for it.
这是他们用来研究量子力学的语言
That's a really good photo,man.
这真是一副不错的照片
He looks,like,bushy-tailed and bright-eyed.
他看上去精神抖擞 神采飞扬
That didn't last long...didn't...
那并没有持续多长时间
and then no one took him seriously,
之后 再没人把他当回事了
and he lost the fire in his eyes.
他眼睛里热切的光芒消失了
Well,yeah. I mean how you would you like to invent
你会不会想创造出什么
like one of the coolest
有史以来最棒的东西
things of all time and have people go "Uhhh?"
让大家都忍♥不住发出惊叹声
Happens every time I put an album out.
每次发行唱片的时候我都很想
Oh yeah,oh yeah,definitely!
太棒了 棒极了
Cool! This looks like tapes. Ooh,tapes.
酷 看起来像是磁带 磁带
Who knows what's on there,man.
天知道上面录着什么
That's going to be amazing to listen to that,
听这些磁带一定很奇妙
'cause who knows what's on there.
天知道上面会有什么
The bad news is that I remember dropping
坏消息是我记得在我小时候
his Dictaphone in the tub once,
有次我把他的录音机
when I was a kid,and ruining it.
掉进了浴缸里 把它弄坏了
But hopefully that's not the same one that I ruined.
最好不是被我弄坏的那个
I don't know if I would recognize his voice,
我不知道我能不能认出他的声音
to be honest with you,because besides the fact
老实说 这不仅仅是因为他已经
that it's been 25 years since he died,
去世25年了
I didn't hear him speak much in the 18 years or 19 years
即使是我们住在一起的18或者19年里
I lived in the house with him.
我也很少听到他讲话
So it would probably sound weird to me,to hear his voice.
所以我觉得有点奇怪 要听到他的声音
Oh,there you go.
试试看
Let's see if it works.
看看还好不好用
That didn't sound good.
听起来不大对头
This might be the one I dropped in the tub,
这可能就是我小时候
when I was a kid.
掉进浴缸的那个
Tapes.
磁带
That's true,so,they must be...
没错 这些一定...
Archive material of Hugh is surprisingly scarce.
休留下来的档案资料十分稀少
There are very few photographs of him
只有几张照片
and no known film footage.
没有视频资料
These Dictaphone tapes might be the only recording
这几卷录音带可能是休仅存的
ever made of Hugh's voice.
声音记录
Think we're out of luck on this for today.
看来我们今天不太走运
Alright,I'll get my people on this.
我找人处理一下这些东西
One of my roadies can probably figure this one out.
我乐队里应该有人会把它们弄好
There's universes in which it worked,you know?
在某个世界里 它们还是好用的
*- Hey,Man. - What? - Dig this.
*-嘿 你 -干吗 -看看这个
*The world is going to end tomorrow.
*明天就是世界末日
*Hey,Buddy,Got A Nickel I Can Borrow?
*嘿 伙计 能借我五毛钱吗
*This Rotten World's going to chew you up.
*这个腐坏的世界要将你生吞活剥
The late 1950s were the height of the Cold War.
20世纪50年代末是冷战最严重的时期
Disappointed and disillusioned with academia,
因为失望 不再对学术界抱有幻想
Hugh went to work as a military analyst.
休转行成为了一名军事分♥析♥专家
Going to the Pentagon,which I,again,
五角大楼 这又是一个
never saw myself going to in my lifetime.
我从没想过会去的地方
I don't think I've ever been there,
我想我从没去过那里
I don't think Dad ever took me there
我爸爸从没带我去
for Daddy-Son work day.
一起上班过
At the Weapons Systems Evaluation Group,
在武器系统分♥析♥小组里面
Hugh could defer the draft and earn a good salary.
休提交草案 领♥取♥一份不薄的薪水
How the hell did I get clearance?
我究竟是怎么进来的
Amazing!
太神奇了
I am standing here where generals make speeches.
我就站在将军们讲话的地方
What kind of kooky world is this?
这个世界怎么这么疯狂
But also,it makes you ask,"How good is the security?"
你也许会问 连我都可以进来这里
if they let me in here,you know,
这里真的安全吗
because I'm loco.
因为我可不大正常
Right,back to business. First question: A.B.C.
言归正传 第一个问题 甲乙丙
One of Hugh's Pentagon assignments was
休在五角大楼的任务之一
"The Radioactive Fallout Project,"
是放射性尘降物项目
which analyzed the chilling effects of nuclear war
这一项目分♥析♥美苏核战争
between The Soviet Union and the US.
所带来的制冷效应
Hi. George?
乔治 你好啊
Hi. Long time,no see.
好久不见
Hugh's colleague on this project was
休在这个项目上的同事是
nuclear physicist George Pugh.
核物理学家乔治·普克
I think the last time I remember really meeting you,
我记得上次见到你的时候
at the time, you were busy
你还在
getting better and better playing the drums.
努力练习打鼓呢
That's right.
是啊
Based on their research,according to George,
乔治说 根据他们的研究结果
he and Hugh warned President Eisenhower
他和休提醒过艾森豪威尔总统
that the military had completely
军队完全低估了
underestimated the global devastation of nuclear war.
核战争对世界造成的破坏程度
Do you think my father ever had any moral issues
我父亲为政♥府♥工作的时候有没有
working for the government?
涉及到道德问题
You weren't a couple of trigger happy guys
整个世界的命运
with the fate of the world at your hands?
都掌握在你们的手上
No. After we briefed Eisenhower,
是 在我们向艾森豪威尔说明情况之后
there was a gradual shift in U.S. policy
美国的政策逐渐开始变化
电影精选列表