That's my train I've got to go:
那是我的车 我要走了
on to the next fantastic voyage into my father's brain.
开始踏上探索我父亲大脑的奇妙旅程
A scientific rebel.
一位科学的叛逆者
In my personal opinion, your dad's theory is one of
在我看来 你父亲的理论
the most important discoveries of all time in science.
是有史以来科学界最伟大的发现
I thought it was the work of a raving lunatic.
我认为那就是一个神经病的胡言乱语
A rock star.
一位摇滚明星
I'm not a physics genius.
我不是物理天才
I can't even open an umbrella.
我甚至撑不开一把伞
Father and son lived side by side,yet worlds apart.
父亲和儿子 近在咫尺却又远在天涯
He's really a complete mystery as a person.
他这个人完全是一个谜
One man plumbs the depths
一个人面对
of the bizarre theory of parallel universes...
怪诞的平行宇宙理论 想要一探究竟
...very large numbers of versions of you that really exist.
许许多多不同的你真的存在
Lay it on me.
放马过来
See if you can make me understand quantum physics.
看看你能不能让我理解量子物理
Is this laser going to blow my eyes out?
这个激光会让我的眼睛爆出来吗
to understand the father he never really knew.
为了理解他从未真正认识过的父亲
Where do you want to start?
你想从哪里开始
A treasure trove here.
这里有数不清的宝藏
Tapes! Yeah,who knows what's on there,man.
磁带 天知道上面会录些什么
That's going to be amazing.
太不可思议了
No one took him seriously.
没人把他当一回事
This is getting weird,
太诡异了
because I know what that means now.
我居然明白那是什么意思了
What's happening to me?
我这是怎么了
Parallel Worlds,Parallel Lives,right now on NOVA.
新星即将播出 《平行世界 平行生命》
Hello. Nice to see you.
你们好 很高兴见到你们
Mark Oliver Everett,known to his friends as E,
马克·奥利弗·埃弗特 朋友们称他为E
is the creative force behind the Eels,
是独♥立♥摇滚乐队厄尔斯
an alternative rock band...
背后的创作力量
*there's nothing that I wanna do
*我无所事事
...whose songs have earned a shelf full of music awards
他所创作的歌♥曲已经赢得了许多音乐奖项
and even popped up in the Shrek movies.
甚至出现在《怪物史莱克》系列电影中
*trouble with dreams is they don't come true
*梦想的麻烦在于无法成真
*and when they do they can't catch up to you
*一旦成真 你又会有新的梦想
But many of Mark's fans don't know that his father,
但是马克的很多粉丝并不知道他的父亲
Hugh Everett,is also a cult figure—in the world of physics—
休·埃弗特 因为提出的平行宇宙的古怪理论
for pioneering the strange theory of parallel universes.
在物理界也有自己的大批拥趸
Hugh Everett proposed a multitude of universes,
休·埃弗特设想有多重宇宙
each a home to an alternate reality,
每一重都有不同版本的实相
including alternate versions of you and me.
包括不同版本的你和我
It may sound crazy,but the theory of parallel universes
听起来也许很疯狂 但是平行宇宙理论
is now considered serious science,
现在已经走入了正统科学的殿堂
and Hugh Everett is,to some,an icon.
与此同时 休·埃弗特也成为一代偶像
But to his son Mark,
但是对他的儿子马克来说
he has always been an enigma.
他一直都是一个谜
I don't remember knowing,when he was alive,
我想 在他还在世的时候
that he was,like,a famous physicist.
我并不知道他是一位著名的物理学家
I don't know if I ever even knew that until after he'd died.
我不清楚在他去世前我是否认识到了
Dad,Mom,can you hear me?
爸 妈 你们能听见吗
Here's my mom. This is the one.
我妈妈在这里 就是这一个
I've never seen it before.
我以前从来没有来看过
Oh,there's one for my sister,too.
这里还有我姐姐的
I've never seen that.
我也从来没见过
Wait,where's the, where's my father's stone?
等一下 我父亲的墓碑在哪
I just don't get it,it's a mystery.
我无法理解 这是一个谜
Mark's father was a distracted genius,
马克的父亲是一位天才
lost in his own world.
迷失在自己的世界里
They lived in the same house for 20 years,
他们住在同一个屋檐下二十年
yet they barely spoke.
却几乎未曾交谈
For Mark,one of their
对马克来说
most memorable encounters
记忆最深刻的一次与父亲的接触
came in July,1982.
发生在1982年的七月
It was the weirdest thing,
那感觉实在是太诡异了
because I walked in their bedroom and there he was,
我走进他们的卧室 他就在那里
laying there,like,sideways on the bed,fully clothed,
侧躺在床上 没有脱衣服
with his tie on,like he always had on,you know.
还打着领带 就像他一直习惯的那样
I tried to wake him up.
我想叫他起床
When I put my arms under him,and I picked him up,
我伸出胳膊抱住他 想把他拉起来
his body was completely stiff.
但是他的身体已经完全僵硬了
And it was just so surreal,
感觉太不真实了
because I was touching him
我触碰到了他
which was the only time I could remember having
那是我记忆中唯一的一次
any physical contact with him.
和他有身体接触
Yeah,and it was just so also so,obviously,
当然 显而易见 那个时候
it was,you know,very traumatic and a horrific scene.
我的心灵也受到了创伤 惊吓
But it was also...had the added surreal quality for me,
但是对我来说 似乎更不真实
because,you know,my father had just died,
我的父亲刚刚去世
but I,you know,I barely knew him.
但是我还完全不了解他
So it was hard to know how to feel like a normal person
我不知道正常人在那种情境下
would feel in that situation.
应该有什么感觉
So I guess it's pretty sad that I had,
我和他之间唯一亲密的接触
you know...the one really intimate experience
是在他停止呼吸以后
I had with him was while he was dead,you know.
很可悲 不是吗
*I don't leave the house much
*我不常离开家
*I don't like being around people
*我不喜欢与人交往
*it's better for me to stay home
*我更喜欢宅在家里
*some might think it means I hate people
*有人以为我讨厌他们
*but that's not quite right
*其实不是的
Mark fiercely guards his privacy,
马克很看重他的隐私
but now he's decided to
但是现在他决定
take a journey to try to understand his father
踏上一段旅途 去理解他的父亲
and the bizarre theory he dreamed up.
和他设想的古怪理论
I'm going to go on this trip,
我要进行这趟旅程
because it's something that I knew was coming,eventually.
因为我发现 最终有些事情还是要来
I didn't want to wait too long either,you know,
我也不想等太久
with my family history,the longevity rate there.
家族人均寿命就摆在那里
Well,you have to have a sense of humor.
幽默感是必须要有的
You know,that came from my family.
来自我的家庭
That was the way we communicated,like nobody said,
我们就是那样交流的
"I love you," Or anything like that.
没有人说过"我爱你" 或者之类的
It was more,it was more,it was a very kind of jokey,
我们家更多的是充满玩笑 讽刺
sarcastic family,and that was how we communicated,you know.
我们就是那样沟通的
Oh,what do we got here?
我们有什么
This is Bobby's room.
这是鲍比的房♥间
I mean how many dogs get their own room?
有几只狗会有自己的房♥间
He's the most spoiled dog in Los Feliz,
整个洛菲兹恐怕都找不到第二只
maybe in the world.
全世界也许都没有
Understanding how his father came up with
也许马克很难理解父亲是如何灵光一现
the idea of parallel universes is going to be tricky,
提出平行宇宙的概念
because science was never Mark's strong point.
理科从来不是他的强项
I only have a very,very
对于我父亲的理论
vague understanding of my father's theory.
我只有一个非常模糊的印象
It gets up to a certain point and it becomes,like,impenetrable.
到了一定程度就突然变得无法理解
And then it gets into the scientist language,
转变成了理科语言
which is like,"Blah,blah,blah,blah."
就像......
It's like a different alphabet they're using,practically.
感觉上他们在用另外一套字母
Hugh Everett's theory was so bold,
休·埃弗特的理论十分激进
that it set him on a collision course
以至于他和物理界的巨人们
with the most brilliant minds of the physics world.
产生了不可调和的冲突
Taken to the extreme,parallel universes would mean
极端来讲 平行宇宙的理论意味着
that with every event that could happen in more ways than one,
每一次事件可能有不同的发展方向
universes branch off in different directions.
就会分生出新的宇宙
That means that,moment to moment,
也就意味着 一段时间过后
we divide into multiple versions of ourselves.
就会有许多个版本的我们
Applying the theory to Mark,
把这个理论应用在马克身上
he splits in two at the very moment
在他决定踏上这次旅途之时
he decides to go on his trip.
他就分♥裂♥成了两个自己
In another parallel universe,
在另一个平行宇宙
电影精选列表