a version of himself stays at home in L.A.,
另一个他继续待在洛杉矶的家里
while in this universe,Mark sets off.
与此同时在这里宇宙中 马克出发了
*blinking lights on the airplane wings
*飞机翅膀上的点点闪光
*up above the trees
*高高掠过片片森林
*set me on the ground
*带我再一次
*once more again
*踏上大地
Like his father,Mark grew up just outside Washington,D.C.
和他的父亲一样 马克成长在华盛顿的近郊
Still living in the area is physicist Don Reisler,
而他父亲的一位同事和朋友
a work colleague and friend of his father's.
物理学家唐·瑞斯勒依旧住在那里
Hello,Mark!
你好 马克
You dressed for me.
你专门为我穿了这件衣服
Absolutely! Who could turn down this opportunity?
那是一定要的 谁会放弃这样的机会
I mean,how often does a rock star come to my house?
我家几时会有一个摇滚明星来拜访
It's good to see you; my goodness.
很高兴见到你 我的天哪
Hey,it's delightful to see you.
很高兴见到你
How long has it been? Twenty-five years?
过去多久了 25年
Twenty-five years.
25年了
You are now so old that
你最后一次见到我的时候
you are the age I was when you last saw me.
我和你现在一般年纪
Really? Wow. You guys are always doing the math.
真的吗 你们这些人总是在做算术题
Always doing strange stuff,yeah.
总是在做些奇怪的事
So,come in and be comfortable:
请进 请随意
bathroom there if you need,fluids here.
洗手间在这里 如果你要用的话 这里有饮料
We can sit down.
我们可以坐下聊
Great.
太好了
When did you first meet my father?
你什么时候认识我父亲的
1970. It was a job interview.
1970年 那是一场工作面试
And he very timidly—
他小心翼翼地
I know that's not what you think of —
我知道你设想的不是这样
but very,very timidly said,
但是他确实很小心翼翼地问我
"Have you,by any chance,seen my paper on quantum mechanics?"
你有没有读过我关于量子力学的论文
Mmm,that day?
就在当天
That day,yeah. And I said,
就在当天 我回答说
"Oh my god,you're that Hugh Everett?"
天哪 你就是那个休·埃弗特
Because I had seen it and
因为我确实看了那篇文章
thought it was the work of a raving lunatic.
我以为那是出自一个癫狂的疯子之手
And told him!
还告诉他了
You said that?
你真的说了
And so,and he thought it was funny.
那是我的原话 他觉得很好笑
And so we knew we could enjoy each other.
所以我们知道我俩性情相投
Wow. Even though he was a constant physical presence,
虽然他一直存在于我的生活中
he is really a complete mystery,as a person,to me.
但是他这个人对我来说完全是个谜
What was he like? You know,that's what I don't really know.
他是个怎么样的人 我并不是真的了解
He was peculiar and a bit eccentric.
他很特别 有一点古怪
He was a very good friend to me,in his way.
他是我的很好的朋友 以他自己的方式
Yeah,I will show you something,that friendship and contrast.
我有些东西给你看 我们之间的友谊和反差
You have here...
你看这张
Wow,he is outside.
他在户外
This would have been late '70s.
那应该是70年代末期
That's basically what he was wearing every day
基本上 每一个日日夜夜 他坐在餐桌边
and every night at the dining room table,as
就是穿着这样的一身
well, that was his uniform.
那就是他的制♥服♥
The only thing you guys have in common is facial hair.
你们唯一个共同点就是脸上的络腮胡
And otherwise,you look like completely different,you know...
除此之外 你看起来完全不一样
Species.
就像两个物种
Like city guy and mountain guy.
就像上班族和背包客
And yet,we were really good friends.
但我们还是很好的朋友
Don is an expert in quantum mechanics,
唐是一名量子力学专家
the laws that govern the tiniest particles.
量子力学支配着微观世界
To start Mark out nice and easy,
深入浅出地为马克讲解
all Don needs is a pencil.
唐只需要一支铅笔
If I take a pencil,and I cut it in half
如果我拿一支铅笔 一分为二
and cut it in half and cut it in half,
再一分为二 再一分为二
and just get ever,ever smaller pieces,
不断变成更小的碎片
at some point I may run out of something I can cut in half.
直到某种程度 没有东西可以再一分为二了
You've gotten to the point
到达那一层面
where the pencil no longer can be subdivided.
铅笔无法再被分割
You've come to something that's no longer bits of a pencil,
你所看到已经不再是铅笔的一部分了
but is something more fundamental,
而是更基本的物质
and that was the notion of an atom.
被称为原子
Atoms are the buildings blocks of the universe,
原子搭建出了这个宇宙
tiny particles that make up
我们见到的周围的一切都是
everything we see around us,
由这些微小的粒子组成的
from houses and guitars to rock musicians.
从房♥屋 吉他 到摇滚明星
They're so small that there are more atoms
原子非常小 一个句号♥大小的点里包含的原子数
in a period than there are pencils in the whole world.
比世界上所有的铅笔还要多
If you could somehow look inside one of these atoms
如果你可以进入原子内部观察
you might see what it's made of.
你可以看到原子是由什么组成的
In the middle is a
位于中心是
concentrated ball of material called the nucleus.
叫做原子核的高密度实心球
Around the nucleus are tiny particles called electrons.
在原子核周围有叫做电子的微小粒子
These electrons spin super-quick around the nucleus.
电子以极快的速度环绕着原子核
Now—this is the crazy part—the classical laws of physics
疯狂的部分来了 经典物理定律似乎
seem to work fine for everything much bigger than an atom.
适用于任何远大于原子的物质
For instance,Newton's gravity makes apples go down
比如 牛顿提出引力使得苹果下落
rather than up,and at an intuitive level,
而不是飞上天 经典定律与
these classical laws make perfect sense.
人的直觉吻合的很好
But when it comes to really tiny stuff,like atoms,
但是到了微观层面 比如原子
the classical laws break down.
经典定律就不再适用
The electrons don't fly around the nucleus
电子并不是像行星环绕恒星那样
in nice regular orbits like planets around the Sun,
在规则轨道上环绕原子核运动
but instead they are smeared out,
而是晕染开来
taking on a cloud-like form.
变成似云的形态
*What's that flaming balls in the sky?
*空中耀眼的小球是什么
And even weirder still,they are everywhere at once.
更诡异的还有 他们同时出现在所有位置
Welcome to the quantum world.
欢迎来到量子世界
What do you think about this?
很明显 我的父亲在他的领域里是各中翘楚
You know,my father,clearly,on top of his game
数学还有其他的那些学科
with the mathematics and whatnot,
而我最后一次与数字打交道
and I...the farthest I got was I flunked
是9年级的最容易的代数课不及格
out of the easiest 9th grade algebra class.
我就是一点都学不会
I just couldn't grasp it.
这种情况 你怎么想
Right.
好的
I just didn't inherit that gene.
我就是没有遗传到他的基因
I've thought a lot about that.
关于这点 我想过很多
About how stupid I was in math?
想我在数学方面有多笨吗
I think I'd have phrased it differently.
我想我会换个方式遣词造句
Did...maybe my father spoke of it?
我父亲 他有没有谈论过这一点
No,no. I mean...
没有
What a disappointment I was?
我有多让他失望
No. I think,if your father had had the emotional vocabulary,
不会的 我认为如果你父亲懂得
he'd have been very,very pleased with
如何表达自己的感情 他会对你创作的音乐
what you did with your music.
非常非常地满意
*feel like an old railroad man
*就像一个老铁道员
*ridin' out on the bluemont line
*在布鲁蒙特线上畅游
*hummin' along old dominion blues
*哼唱着弗吉尼亚布鲁斯
*not much to see and not much left to lose
*没什么可看 也没什么可失去
*and I know I can walk along the tracks
*我知道 我可以沿着轨道
*it may take a little longer but i'll know
*可能会久一点儿
*how to find my way back
*但我知道如何回家
Hugh Everett applied to graduate school at Princeton,
休·埃弗特申请了普利斯顿的研究生院
wanting to be close to his hero,
想要离他心目中的英雄
Albert Einstein.
阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦近一点儿
A glowing reference from
休的本科教授所写的一封
Hugh's undergraduate professor confirms
热情洋溢的推荐信证明
that he was already seen as unusually gifted.
那时人们就认为他天赋异禀
It says,"This is once in a lifetime recommendation,
信上称 这样的推荐信一生只写一封
where I think it most unlikely that
我觉得自己不大可能
I shall ever again encounter a student
再遇到这样一位学生
I can give such complete and unreserved support."
我可以给予完全而毫无保留的支持
电影精选列表