当然 随之而来的问题就是选哪个
But of course, that then begs the question, which one?
是把一切赌在出♥售♥上
Do you bet everything on selling,
满足99%的工资发放
which is paying 99% of salaries,
但迟早有一天会降到零呢
but over a matter of time is gonna go down to zero?
还是把一切赌在出租上
Or do you bet everything on rental,
成功了可能是笔大买♥♥卖♥♥
which, if you can make it work, could be a great business,
但却丝毫没有任何
but there is no indication whatsoever
可能成功的迹象呢
that that's gonna happen?
租DVD
最简便的
方式
当你一夜之间决定
When you decide overnight
记得将塑料保护袖
始终留在碟上
并将其与所租DVD
一并归还
放弃你99%的收益时
to walk away from 99% of your revenue, it has a way
租DVD
最简便的
方式
你就有办法集中精力处理问题
of focusing your mind on the problem.
有那么一阵 即便你已经测试得筋疲力尽
There comes a point, even when you're testing exhaustively,
但你已经没剩下多少时间了
that you begin to run outta time
慢慢也快没钱了
and you begin to run outta money.
当我们已然穷途末路之时
And we were getting to the end of the rope
我们还有三种想做的尝试
and we still had three big things that we wanted to try.
一是我们注意到
So, one thing we had noticed
我们有个堆满DVD的巨大仓库
was we have this huge warehouse and it's full of DVDs.
也许我们可以把它们储存在顾客房♥子里
Maybe we could store them at the customers' houses.
也许他们可以留着
Maybe they just keep them
等他们准备好租下一张时
and when they're ready for another one,
他们再寄回来 我们再给他们另一张
they mail it back and we'll give 'em another one.
可能是个有趣的想法
That could be kinda interesting.
我们还有个主意
And we have another idea.
此前 当人们寄回来后
Right now, when someone mails one back,
他们得回网页上
they've gotta come back to the website
选下一部电影
and pick their next movie.
这挺麻烦的 没人这么做
Well, that's pretty awkward; no one does that.
不如我们让他们在一张表上
So, how about if we have them make a list
列出所有他们想看的电影 这样我们就知道
of all the movies they want and then we know,
当一部电影被归还
when a movie comes back,
我们就寄出列表上的第一部
we'll just send the top one on the list.
我们把这叫队列
We'll call that the queue.
然后我们想 "为什么非得是点播呢"
And we say, "But why does it have to be a la carte?"
也许我们可以建立一个程序
Maybe we just set up some program
你可以在里面进行任意次数的租还
where you can do it as often as you want, these exchanges,
我们每月收取会员费
and we'll charge you a monthly subscription fee.
而里德耐心有限 他说
And Reed, in his impatience, goes,
"我们不能挨个测试
"We're not gonna test these sequentially.
我们没时间了
We're outta time.
快点 抓紧
Come on, chop-chop.
我们要同时测试这三项"
We're gonna test all three of these at the same time."
所以我们一次发布了这三个计划
So, we launched this three programs at once.
令人惊奇的是 它成功了
And amazingly, it worked.
突然间 人们开始租了
All of a sudden, people are renting.
他们不仅租 还会回头
And not only are they renting, they're coming back
下个月还让我们划他们的信♥用♥卡♥
and they let us hit their credit card the next month
再下个月 他们欲罢不能
and the next month and they're sticking around.
正是从那一刻起
And that was the moment
我们不再是一个初创公♥司♥了
where we kinda stopped being a startup
意识到我们做出了点名堂
and kind of realized we've figured something out.
如果你看的电影不多
If you don't watch a lotta movies,
你也许永远学不到某些宝贵的东西
you may never learn certain valuable things,
比如当一只动物和你说话时该怎么做
like what to do when an animal talks to you.
孩子们 吉米需要你们去湖边帮他
Hey, kids, Jimmy needs your help down by the lake!
它说话了
It talks!
-杀了它 -不 不 等等
- Kill it! - No, no, no, wait!
-吉米 -我们用它做顶帽子吧
- Jimmy-- - Let's make a hat out of it!
等等 等等 大家喘口气
Hold on, hold on, everybody take a deep breath.
我们把它煮了吃吧
Let's cook it and eat it!
但如果你看了很多电影 你就会知道
But if you watched a lot of movies, you'd know.
孩子们 吉米需要你们去湖边帮他
Hey, kids, Jimmy needs your help down by the lake!
我们去帮吉米吧
Let's go help Jimmy!
谢谢你 土拨鼠
Thanks, prairie dog!
网飞 你想要的DVD都在这里
Netflix: all the DVDs you want,
每月二十美元 告别滞纳金
20 bucks a month, and no late fees.
我当时在家庭录像行业 我了解网飞的
I was in the home video industry and I learned about Netflix
泰德·萨兰多斯
网飞首席内容官
方式与世界上大多数人一样
the way most people in the world did,
我买♥♥了个DVD播放器 我打开它
I bought a DVD player and I opened up a DVD player
里面有张网飞邀请贴
and there's an offer for Netflix,
买♥♥惠普畅游人电脑
即可免费租赁三张网飞DVD
当时我从未听过这个网站
which I had never heard of at the time.
但从专业角度我被他们所做的吸引了
But I was intrigued by what they were doing professionally,
立即免费租赁三张DVD
于是注册了 并被DVD
so signed up and was blown away
邮寄服务彻底征服
by the DVD-through-the-mail service.
我们初期所做的
One of the biggest things that we did
赢得认可的最重要的事情之一
which triggered this recognition at this early days
是试图在时事上抢占先机
was trying to jump on top of current events.
其中有件特别的时事
And there was one particular current event
让我们觉得抓住它会很棒
that we thought would be a great thing to latch onto.
总统的大陪审团证词
现场录像转播
我不会回答这个问题
I'm not going to answer that question
因为我认为这个问题会引导出
because I believe it's a question about conduct that,
无论回答是什么 都不承担伪证罪
whatever the answer to it is, does not bear on the perjury
因为按照这个定义
because oral sex performed on the deponent
给证人口♥交♥不是性关系
under this definition is not sexual relations.
一个下午我们发现 看呐
We found out one afternoon that, lo and behold,
莫尼卡·莱文斯基案中
all the testimony was actually gonna be released
比尔·克♥林♥顿♥总统的所有证词
of President Bill Clinton's testimony
都将被放出
in the Monica Lewinsky case.
我们想 "太棒了
And we said, "This is fantastic.
我们录张DVD吧"
Let's do a DVD."
于是我们真的制♥作♥了这张DVD
So, we actually made that DVD
独家提供给我们的顾客
as an exclusive for our customers
看看是否有人想看
to see if anybody wanted it.
我从没见过任何作品
I had never seen any title
海蒂·纽博格
前网飞产品经理
像那样被一扫而空
fly off the shelf like that before.
每一笔订单里都有一张克♥林♥顿♥/莱文斯基DVD
Every single order had a Clinton/Lewinsky DVD in it.
网飞"克♥林♥顿♥总统的大陪审团证词"DVD请见信封内
它只为我们所有
And we were the only ones who had it
这对公共关系大有好处
and it was great for PR
因为我们突然出名了
because suddenly we were on the map
大批人来注册
and a lotta people were signing up,
因为只有注册才能下单
'cause you couldn't order unless you signed up.
但首先我们得真的拿到DVD
But first, we had to actually get the DVD.
而此时米奇绞尽脑汁地
And now, Mitch was like pulling his hair out
试图想出如何实现
trying to figure out how to make this happen,
如何下载现实的材料
how to download the actual material,
如何把材料弄到一个母版DVD公♥司♥
how to get that material to a DVD mastering company,
如何刻录母版
how to get the master made,
然后如何复♥制♥
and then how to have it all duplicated.
克♥林♥顿♥总统的大陪审团录像
1998年8月17日
他的时间太过紧迫
And he was under so much time pressure
克♥林♥顿♥总统的大陪审团录像
1998年8月
以至于我们决定抄近道
that we decided to cut some corners.
其中一条我们决定要抄的近道
And so, one of the corners we decided to cut
就是不印标签
was we're gonna go without a label.
不幸的是 印这些碟的生产商
Unfortunately, the manufacturer who printed those discs
把它们与一些中国黄♥片♥搞混了
got 'em mixed up with some Chinese porn
那大概是他们给另一个客户印的
that they were printing for presumably a different customer
结果却被我们寄了出去
and we ended up mailing those out.
然后我们开始收到非常奇怪的电子邮件
Then we begin getting these very curious emails.
他们说 "这好像不是
They're saying, "I'm not sure
电影精选列表