或者网飞会来找我们 豪洒十亿美元"
Or Netflix comes in and offers us well over $1 billion."
所以当时 我们决定不卖♥♥
So, at that point, we make the decision not to sell.
已掌权十年的阿迪奥科受董事会成员施压 需缩减成本提高效益
难以大规模投资在线业务 继续与网飞竞逐
但董事会上还发生了一件
Now, what I also don't know
我不知道的事
that happens at that board meeting
卡尔决定不向约翰支付约好的奖金
is Carl decides not to pay John has agreed-to bonus.
我觉得这样不对
It didn't sit right with me.
老实说 如果他们来和我说
Honestly, if they'd come and they'd said,
"这笔奖金数额不菲
"You know, this is a significant bonus;
今年的股价不理想"
the stock price didn't have a great year,"
我可能会考虑一下
I don't know, I mighta given it some consideration.
但不能由他们单方面
But it wasn't going to be unilaterally
决定违反合同
them deciding to violate my contract
拒付我应得的报酬
and not pay me what I earned.
我们一听说约翰·阿迪奥科
When we first heard about John Antioco
史蒂夫·斯瓦西
曾就职于网飞通讯部
要和卡尔·伊坎对着干 就知道他应付不来
facing off Carl Icahn, we knew he had his hands full.
我们没有话语权
We didn't have any control over it,
艾伦·佩恩
百视达连锁员工
只能袖手旁观
so we were just watching,
不知道会发生什么
not really knowing what was gonna happen.
在这种瞬息万变的环境里
You can't have a business that's fighting for its life
企业很难挣扎求存
in an environment which is changing daily
倒不是说董事会不支持你
and not have a board who aren't supporting you,
他们给你出难题 但也给予支持
challenging you, but supporting you.
但我们的议程不一样
The agendas were different.
我不太清楚他们的议程是怎样的
I don't know quite what the agenda was,
但绝对不是帮助百视达成功的那份
but it was certainly wasn't the agenda of making Blockbuster successful,
因为他们毫无功劳
'cause they didn't contribute to that.
是时候做出改变了
It was time for a change.
我已经获得了可观的财产收入
I'd been successful enough financially.
在当时的人生阶段
I was at a time in my life
我想多花些时间陪伴家人
where I wanted to spend more time at home and family,
似乎是时候
so it just seemed like the right time
把业务转移到其他人身上了
to transition the business to someone else.
约翰让大家都坐下
John sits us all down.
宣布他要离开公♥司♥
He says he's gonna leave,
那一天对我们来说都很痛苦
which is a tough day for all of us,
就像拿刀戳进心窝里
it was like knife in the heart,
他说他们会搜罗人才
and says they're gonna launch a search
聘请新的首席执行官
and bring in a new CEO.
我们都觉得这人要有数字专业知识 电影背景
And we're all thinking digital expertise, movie background,
帮助我们向新的领域过渡
something to transition us into this new space.
我希望他们把这个职位给
My hope was that they would give the job
尼克·谢泼德 公♥司♥的总裁兼首席运营官
to Nick Shepherd, the president and COO of the company,
他了解这项业务 了解面对的挑战
who understood the business, understood the challenges,
我认为他知道百视达要怎样做
and, I think, understood what Blockbuster had to do
才能在这一领域前进
to move forward in the business.
百视达聘用新任首席执行官
但他们做出了不同的决定
Instead, they made a different decision.
我们新的首席执行官吉姆·凯斯
Jim Keyes, now our CEO,
把我们带到拉夫湾牧场
gets us all up to Rough Creek Ranch.
他把我们叫到一个房♥间 问的第一个问题是
First question he asks us, he gets us all in a room
"在座有谁认为
and he says, "Who here thinks Blockbuster's
百视达困难重重 濒临破产"
in a lotta trouble and going bankrupt?"
除我以外 每个人都举起了手
And everybody raises their hand but me.
吉姆看着我说
And Jim looks at me and he says,
"肖恩 你为什么不举手"
"Shane, how are you not raising your hand?"
我说 "吉姆
And I said, "Well, Jim,
有人出价要买♥♥我们的公♥司♥
we have the offer to sell the company.
如果我们不再投资线上业务
If we're going to not invest in the online business,
就把公♥司♥卖♥♥掉
let's just sell the company
这样就能摆脱所有债务"
and we'll get rid of all the debt."
你自己算算 那可是十亿美元
You do the math, that's a billion dollars.
这个数字极具吸引力
And so, that's a very attractive number,
尤其是当你的资产负债表上
especially if you've got $720 million worth of debt
背着7.2亿的债时
on your balance sheet.
吉姆提出了一条价值十亿美元的口号♥
Jim had a billion-dollar tagline that he wanted to say:
"怎样都是电影"
"Movies any way."
为了呼应这条口号♥
And in that billion-dollar tagline,
就必须继续运营线上业务
you had to keep the online business operational
因为既要在实体店提供影片
because you could deliver it in the store,
又要能提供数字版本
you could deliver it digitally,
还要可以邮寄
and you could deliver it by mail.
连续几个月 每天工作十八到二十小时
Working 18-, 20-hour days for months on end,
结果却
and to have that,
百视达新官上任 借7-11战略点燃火把
被告知我们要结束线上业务
being told that we're gonna be done with the online deal
重新投入门店运营
and we're gonna reengage in the stores
感觉就像丢掉了自己的立场
felt like kind of a losing proposition.
当我们听到吉姆·凯斯说
When we heard Jim Keyes say,
让实体店重燃活力
"我们要让实体店重燃活力"
"We're gonna make the stores great again,"
我们想 "真的吗"
we thought, "Really?"
实体店的好日子到头了
The day was coming for the end of the store.
就在那一刻 我们意识到
That was the point where we realized,
"我们似乎赢了"
"Okay, we think we've won now."
他退出百视达畅享时
When he exited Blockbuster Total Access,
我知道那不是个好兆头
I knew it was not a good sign;
出口
其实事已至此 我只能说
in fact, so much so that I said,
"我要买♥♥点网飞股票" 我还真买♥♥了
"I'm gonna buy some Netflix stock," And I did,
而且买♥♥了很多
and I bought a lot of Netflix stock.
百视达出资十三亿美元收♥购♥电路城
[北美最大的电器与数码产品专业连锁]
我记得可怜的吉姆·凯斯要收♥购♥电路城
I remembered poor Jim Keyes was gonna buy Circuit City,
我当时觉得
and that was just like,
这简直像是泰坦尼克号♥
That was like the Titanic
迈克尔·帕切特
韦德布♥什♥证券公♥司♥研究分♥析♥师
外加兴登堡号♥飞艇
is gonna merge with the Hindenberg.
觉得 "你到底在想什么"
It was just like, "What are you thinking?"
我记得我在家里的后门廊上哭
I remember being on my back porch, crying.
我们花了三年时间 开♥发♥了一个超棒的产品
We spent three years and we developed a great product.
我们做到了
We had 'em.
我们就要成功拆解自己的零售业务
We were gonna be that retailer that actually cannibalized itself,
把实体店业务转移到数字平台
that moved from a store business to a digital platform
完成过渡 但吉姆终结了一切
and transitioned out, and Jim ended it.
我们很快意识到 我们赢了这一仗
It wasn't long after we sort of won that battle
网飞
突然之间我们就开始研究
and all of a sudden we were starting to work on
当时称之为"下载"的业务
what at the time we called downloading,
但那时并没有真正实现下载
which didn't materialize that way
因为制片厂不会允许人们
because the studios wouldn't let the movie
用设备捕捉影片 所以只能是流媒体项目
be captured on a device, so it became the streaming project.
我们从来没有赚到大钱
We never gushed profit.
我们一直以精简高效的方式运营
We were always operating very leanly and efficiently
华尔街总想分走更多利润
and Wall Street always wanted more from us.
后来问题就变成 "你要怎样
So then, it pivoted to, "What do you do
打开电脑 即时看电影
把握电影流媒体化这个机遇
about this opportunity to stream movies
我们该在内容上投多少钱
and how much we spend on content
要从哪里获取
and where are we gonna get it
要怎么把它放到电视上"
and how are we gonna get it to the TV?"
我印象最深的是我们讨论了很多次
I remember most is a lot of conversation
如何让消费者相信
about trying to figure out how to convince consumers
特蕾西·迪索托
里德·黑斯廷斯前行政助理
这是可行的
that this made sense
这不是他们听过的最疯狂的事
and wasn't the craziest thing they'd ever heard.
头两年是免费的
The first two years, it was free.
那时 没人知道怎么把互联网
At that time, no one knew how to hook up their internet
和客厅的电视连起来
to their television in their living room,
所以有很多东西要普及
and so there was a whole kind of learning,
比如 "这钱花得值吗"
like, "Is it worth it?
"这是怎么弄的"
"How do you do it?"
电影精选列表