introducing something to the world
网飞
网飞
人们都不曾想过要拥有的东西
that nobody had ever known that they wanted,
这很令人兴奋
that was exciting.
科里·布里奇斯
前网飞营销与顾客拓展部
这就是我为什么要参与创立新公♥司♥的原因
That was exactly why I do startups.
我知道去哪里寻找
I knew where to go to find
网飞的第一批顾客
the first set of customers for Netflix.
我知道什么是在线小组 什么是论♥坛♥
I knew what the online groups, the forums were.
我知道这里面具有影响力的人是哪些
I knew who the influencers were in each of those.
如果我能把他们争取到我们的阵营
And if I could get them on our side,
我确信我们的成立
I knew that we could launch
将会拥有史无前例的信誉
with just an unprecedented goodwill
以及热情和兴奋度
and enthusiasm and excitement.
正当我们准备好要正式开始的时候
And as we were kinda getting ready for the launch,
马克·兰多夫
网飞联合创办人 前CEO
也就是早上九点整
which was at 9 a.m. Sharp,
我们都在为将会发生什么下注
we were all kind of placing bets on what was gonna happen.
九点钟到了 埃里克探身向前
And so, 9 o'clock came around and Eric leans over
在键盘上敲了几个键 我们就在现场看着
and hits a few keys on the keyboard and we're live.
网飞电影主页
网飞公♥司♥主页
新用户登录
用户登录
背景
我们都满怀期待地四处张望
And then we're all kinda looking around expectantly.
突然间 叮
And all of a sudden, ding!
我们的第一单 每个人都在欢呼
Our first order, and everyone cheers
我们再检查了一遍 然后就去开香槟庆祝
and we all go over and begin breaking open the champagne.
正倒到一半 叮叮
And mid-pour, ding-ding!
又来了两单 我们又一次欢呼雀跃
Two more orders, and we all cheer again.
整个网飞的网站被人们的访问量淹没
The entire Netflix website is just engulfed in people.
游客订单数量之巨大♥比♥团队所预期的
I mean, just orders of magnitude greater numbers of visitors
还要多得多
than the team had predicted.
紧接着 叮叮叮叮
And then, ding-ding-ding-ding!
我们又一次雀跃不已
And we'd cheer again.
接着我们就等啊
And then we're all waiting...
等啊
And waiting...
等啊
And waiting...
我们都在看着
We were watching what's happening
接着服务器就开始出故障了
and then the server started going down,
所以第一天的兴奋劲还挺短暂的
so it was kinda short-lived for excitement of the first day.
维达·德鲁特曼
前网飞系统架构师
我们的容量不足
We didn't have enough capacity.
克里斯蒂娜·基什
前网飞销♥售♥副总裁
我们让人去弗莱斯电子公♥司♥
We were sending people to Fry's Electronics
买♥♥多些电脑回来
to buy more computers.
我记得我们买♥♥了大概十台机器
We bought about 10 machines, I remember.
鲍里斯·德鲁特曼
前网飞网络工程师
除了你仅有的那两台
In addition to the two that you only have.
除了仅有的
Addition to the only two
已经在办公室里放着的那两台
that we have already in the office.
砰 电脑又烧了 然后一直这样
And, boom, melts down again, and it just keeps happening,
发生这种连锁故障 因为这是一次巨大的成功
these cascading failures, 'cause it's such a huge success
因为这正是社区想要的
because it was just exactly what that community wanted.
你让人们撕开玻璃纸包装
You had people ripping open cellophane packages
吉姆·库克
前网飞财务运营
把盒子扔得到处都是
and just throwing boxes all over the place,
因为一旦打开 你就不需要盒子了
'cause you didn't need the box once you opened it.
我们不是要给客户寄盒子
We weren't shipping the box to the customers.
我们是要寄光碟
We were just shipping the discs.
就是这种混乱
It was that kind of chaos.
我们试图想办法在网络商店
We were trying to figure out how you put
悬挂"抱歉 停止营业"的标识
a "Sorry, we're closed" Sign on an internet store.
我们不知道该怎么做
We did not know what to do.
我们的首发日实在太成功了
We were wildly successful on launch day.
我们以108个订单结束了第一天
And we closed that first day with 108 orders.
第一天 共计108单
那可是我第一个月的全部预算
I mean, that was my budget for the whole first month.
难以置信上百人
I couldn't believe that a hundred people
下了我们的订单
had ordered from us.
我第一次听说网飞是从我的伙伴山姆·布鲁姆
I first heard about Netflix from my partner, Sam Bloom,
肖恩·伊万杰利斯特
前百视达网络营销总经理
他当时负责业务开♥发♥
who was running business development at the time.
他来到我的办公室说
He came in my office and said,
"有个名叫网飞的初创公♥司♥
"There's a new startup called Netflix
他们在用邮件派送DVD"
and they're delivering DVDs through the mail."
坦白说 我当时的反应是"行吧
And truth be told, at the time I was like, "Eh, okay.
有意思
Interesting.
我们会关注的"
We'll start keeping an eye on it."
因为当时 我负责我们竞品间的
'Cause at the time, I ran competitive analysis
竞争力分♥析♥
across our competitors,
所以从那时起我们开始追踪网飞
so we started to track Netflix at that point.
其实第一个夏天收获颇丰
So, that first summer was actually pretty good.
我们开始接到业务
We were actually starting to get business,
开始吸引市场
we were starting to get traction.
我想大约在第一个夏末
And I think it was sometime at the end of that first summer
网飞纪念日快乐
我们第一次月入十万美元
that we had our first $100,000 month,
这是巨大的成功
and that was a big accomplishment
因为月入十万可换算为年入百万
'cause a $100,000 month is a million-dollar annual run rate.
坏消息是这十万几乎全是
The bad news was that almost all of that $100,000
卖♥♥DVD赚的
was selling DVDs.
当时我们的董事会成员
It was about that time that Reed Hastings,
兼天使投资人里德·黑斯廷斯
while he was on our board and our angel funder,
也来办公室和我们
he also came in and was spending a little bit more time
多聊了一会
with us in the offices.
网飞
他最大的顾虑是卖♥♥电影
His biggest concern was that selling movies
将会是个问题
was going to be a problem.
那可不妙 因为我们知道迟早
That was bad because we knew it was just a matter of time
亚马逊会卖♥♥DVD 沃尔玛会卖♥♥DVD
before Amazon sold DVDs and then Walmart would sell DVDs,
当地加油站会卖♥♥DVD
then your local gas station would sell DVDs.
然后这块精美的大蛋糕
And this nice, healthy business
就会从底层被吃掉利润
would have its margins taken out from underneath it
吃到什么都不剩 我们就没生意了
and it would go to nothing and we'd be outta business.
所以租赁在当时是项很棒的业务
So, now, rental, that was a great business
网飞 租DVD最简便的方式
因为具有很高的潜在利润和防御性
in that it had potentially high margins, really defensible.
还碟说明
但没人想租
But nobody wanted to do it.
简便还碟说明
喜欢你租的电影吗 留下它吧
我们几乎找不到人来租一次
We could barely get someone to rent once,
更别说让他们成为回头客了
so we'd never hear from them again.
请向网飞官网客户服务中心求助
归还你租的DVD遇到问题
更糟的是同时卖♥♥碟和租碟
And even worse was doing both of them at the same time
极为困难
was brutally difficult.
租DVD最简便的方式
想想看 你来到我们的网站
I mean, if you think about it, you'd come to our website
就会立即感到困惑
and you'd be instantly confused.
"我们既出租电影又出♥售♥电影"
"Well, we rent movies and we sell movies."
灯光 摄影 开拍
然后 有些作品仅供出♥售♥
And then, some of the titles could be only sold,
有些电影仅供出租
some of the movies could be only rented,
有些租♥售♥均可
and some could be both.
想想结账页面
I mean, think of the checking out.
说明
《最高危机》1996 DVD
CD原声大碟 书
我们得建一个系统 让人们可以买♥♥电影
We had to set up a system that allowed someone to buy a movie,
七天租赁
也可以租电影
but also to rent a movie.
仓库需要能
And then the warehouse had to be able
购买♥♥全新 购买♥♥二手
把有些电影装入运出并留在外面的包装
to package some of them in packaging to go out and stay out
另一些装入运出并返回的包装
and some when in packaging to go out and come back.
我们逐渐意识到
And we kinda came to this realization
要想成功 我们必须专注
that if we were gonna be successful, we had to focus.
我们必须选一个 把它做好
We had to pick one thing and do it well.
电影精选列表