with enough sophistication to spot the trends
并尽早投入其中
and jump into them early?
一天 里德读到了一种科技
One day, Reed read about a technology
正在旧金山和其他城市进行试销
that was being test-marketed in San Francisco
这种科技叫做数字化视频光盘
and some other cities called the DVD.
光盘是电影的一种轻小薄的媒介
And the DVD was this small, light, thin medium for movies.
我们想 "这很有趣"
And we were going, "That's really kinda interesting."
当光盘被投入市场时 制片厂意识到
When DVD launched, the studios realized,
本·库博
前百视达网络营销收♥购♥
"有一个市场
"Hey, there is a market
可以让我们直接向消费者销♥售♥
for us to sell these direct to consumers
从某种程度上可以削弱音像店的势力
and in some ways take the power away from the video stores
建立起我们自己和消费者的关系
and have our own relationship with consumers
并直接销♥售♥"
and just sell direct."
我对此记忆犹新
I really remember it completely like it was yesterday
那时里德和我正在通往
that Reed and I were probably halfway up
桑尼维尔市的山路上
over the mountains to Sunnyvale
我们正在讨论这件事 我们说
as we were talking about this and we said,
"有一种简单的方法可以判断
"There's an easy way to figure out
这件事会不会成功"
whether this is gonna work or not,"
我们调转车头
and we turned the car around
开回圣克鲁兹市 停在市区
and we drove back down into Santa Cruz and parked downtown
北太平洋路
去了圣克鲁兹市区的
and went to one of the used record stores
一家二手唱片店
in downtown Santa Cruz
进去买♥♥了一张二手唱片
and went in and bought a used music CD
然后去了相隔两家店的一家文具店
and then went two doors down to a stationery store
纸张世界
买♥♥了一个小信封
and bought a little envelope,
那种你会用来
the kind of envelope that you would use
寄贺卡的信封 把唱片放进信封里
to mail a greeting card in, and put the CD in the envelope,
写上里德在圣克鲁兹市的家的地址
addressed it to Reed's house in Santa Cruz,
里德的家
加利福尼亚州圣克鲁兹市
邮编 95062
我们走到商场的另一头
and then we walked to the other end of the mall
来到圣克鲁兹市邮局
and went to the Santa Cruz Post Office
进去买♥♥了一张邮票
and went up and bought a stamp
历史地标
1912年 圣克鲁兹市邮政总局
然后把信封投进邮筒
and then dropped it in the slot
开车回到办公室
and then drove to the office
并没有再去想这件事
and didn't think too much more about it.
我想就在第二天早上
But I think it was the very next morning
里德来找我
and Reed comes to pick me up,
他甚至不需要说什么
and he didn't even need to say anything.
他递给我这个信封
He just kind of handed me this envelope
里面是一张未破损的唱片
with an unbroken CD in it
而且在仅仅一天之内 就从圣克鲁兹市邮局
that had gotten from the Santa Cruz Post Office
送到了他家
to his house in just one day.
我想这就是那个
And I think that was the very moment
里德和我说"这可能成功"的瞬间
when Reed and I said, "Huh, this just might work."
大概一九九七年九月
So, it got to this point in about September of 1997
到了该行动起来的时候了
where it was put up or shut up.
富国银行
交易记录
190万美元
里德给我们开了一张巨额支票
Reed wrote us a big check,
我妈妈开了张支票
my mother actually wrote a check,
其它一些朋友也开了小额支票
some other friends wrote small checks,
这就是开始
and that was the start.
从哪开始是另一个问题
Now, where you start from is a different question.
在我不得不从圣克鲁兹市翻山越岭
After all those years of me having to drive
前往硅谷的这么多年后
from Santa Cruz up over the mountains to Silicon Valley,
我可以尝试创办一家
dammit, I was gonna try and have a company
我在五十分钟内就能到达的公♥司♥
actually that I could get to in less than 50 minutes.
所以就在斯科兹谷了
So, Scotts Valley it is.
但我们的第一间办公室并不是个办公室
But our very first office was not actually an office at all.
加利福尼亚州斯科兹谷
网飞的第一间办公室
斯科兹谷有一家最佳西方酒店
There's a Best Western in Scotts Valley.
我们和最佳西方酒店的经理做了约定
And we made an arrangement with the Best Western manager,
考虑到他并不需要开很多会议
considering he didn't have many conferences,
我们可以使用他的会议室
that we could use his conference room
作为我们的第一间网飞办公室
as our very first Netflix office
后来我们觉得需要更多的空间
and eventually decided we need a little bit more space.
我们在一个小办公园内建立了
When we set up our offices in Scotts Valley,
在斯科兹谷的办公室
we were in a small office park.
我们搬进折叠桌和沙滩椅
We brought in folding tables, we brought in beach chairs.
我们去买♥♥电脑搬进来
We did go and buy computers and bring those in.
我们有绿色的地毯 我们觉得这样很吉利
We had green carpeting, which we thought was lucky
克里斯蒂娜·基什
前网飞营销副总裁
因为那是钱的颜色
because it was the color of money.
那就是一个普通房♥子的大小
It was about the size of an average house.
吉姆·库克
前网飞财务运营部
那儿纸张四处乱放
It was messy with papers everywhere
维达·德鲁特曼
前网飞系统架构师
系统图纸也到处都是
and drawings of the system
一切就是它该有的样子
and how it all's supposed to look like.
是的 实际上我们非常节俭
Yeah; in fact, we were so cheap,
DVD还是用自带的玻璃纸包装来保存
we actually kept the DVDs wrapped in their cellophane
以防我们订了太多得退回去
in case we ordered too many and had to return them,
因为我们当时是走一步算一步
because we were just making it up as we went.
我们有这个旧的 我猜肯定是个银行
So, we had this old, I guess it must've been a bank
科里·布里奇斯
前网飞营销及客户拓展部
因为在那我们有个旧的银行金库
'cause we had this old bank vault in there,
有一个巨大的圆形钢铁门
like a big steel round door.
那是我们存放所有DVD的地方
That's where we put all the DVDs.
好玩的是我们跟随百视达的脚步
The funny thing is that we copied Blockbuster
复♥制♥了他们的模式
in every step of the way
还在我们的银行金库里用了百视达的架子
and we actually used Blockbuster shelves in our bank vault.
在我们创立网飞那时候
At the time, when we launched Netflix,
只有三千张DVD在流通中
there were only 3,000 DVDs in circulation,
因此我们至少得有一份
so we had to have at least
那三千张不同的DVD的拷贝
one copy of 3,000 different DVDs.
把一张甚至更多的三千张DVD的拷贝
Well, when you put one copy and more of 3,000 DVDs
放进一个九十三平方米大的地方 就有问题了
in a thousand-square-foot space, that's a problem.
但我确实意识到
But I did realize it would be helpful
有一个能至少窥视到视频产业其中端倪的人
to have someone who had at least an inkling
将大有助益
what the video business was all about.
接下来就是与米奇·洛长达六个月的合作洽谈
Then began this six-month courtship of Mitch Lowe.
视频软件经销商协会
现在播报一则特别声明
And now, here's a special announcement
来自视频软件经销商协会
from the Video Software Dealers Association.
致主要制片厂和独♥立♥视频供应商
From every major studio and independent video supplier
致经销商及附属公♥司♥
to distributors, accessory companies,
以及成千上万的视频零售商
and thousands of video retailers.
视频软件经销商协会欢迎您
行业协会
The industry association
也就是视频软件经销商协会
that was the Video Software Dealers Association,
有一个委员会 而米奇就在其中当职
it had a board and Mitch was on that board.
我当时就想 "我一定要拉这个人入伙
I was going, "I've gotta get this guy involved.
我一定得让他来帮助我们"
I've gotta get him to help us."
我完全为马克和里德所折服
I was just totally fascinated by Marc and Reed.
米奇·洛
前网飞业务拓展部 副总裁
我在视频商店的柜台后工作了得有
I had been working behind the counter in a video store
美国风情画
我想想 到那时得有一万三四千个小时
for, I think, by that time, 13-14,000 hours
"视频机器人"音像店
家庭娱乐
跟人们谈论电影
talking movies with people.
"视频机器人"音像店
而这两个人懂技术
And here were two guys who knew technology
懂营销
and knew marketing.
所以我想做的就是跟他们一起工作
And so, all I wanted to do was to work with them.
我们与米奇相识
Our introduction to Mitch and Mitch coming on
之后他给我们作视频租赁产业的指导
and teaching us the video rental business
这是我们对自己能涉足其中
was the key to us feeling confident
感到自信的关键
that we could go into that space.
他把我们介绍给了制片厂
电影精选列表