就想去看看"
"We just wanted to check it out."
他们就打开门让我们进去了
And they opened the door and they let us in.
不仅如此 他们还让我们拍照
Not only that, they let us take pictures.
他们详细地说明了光盘是怎么进来
They described exactly how the discs came in.
怎么发出去的
They described exactly how the discs went out.
零错配
只有你可以避免错配
说了如何循环计算磁盘
They described how they cycle-counted a disc,
如何追踪光盘
how they kept track of the discs.
对我们来说真是受教了
It was a real good education for us.
但是他们还是想明白了
They did figure it out though,
因为我们又去了几趟
because we went back a couple more times
最后他们说 "不不 到此为止
and they finally said, "No, no, we're done.
你们不能再参观工厂了"
"You can't tour the facility any longer."
后来我们真的从网飞挖了一个人过来
Later, we actually hired a person from Netflix,
他之前和他们的技术员开电♥话♥会议时
and he was on a conference call with one of their operators
发现百视达
and they were not happy with the fact
在他们的配送中心出入自如
that Blockbuster got a carte-blanche movement
他们很生气
through their distribution centers.
我们了解到百视达派人
What we learned was that Blockbuster had sent people in
汤姆·狄龙
网飞前首席运营官
进到我们的工厂看到了我们的运营情况
to look at our facility and see what we did.
我们依葫芦画瓢 可能没他们做的那么过
And we did the same thing, not as much perhaps as they did.
不过有一回 我把我的区域经理
But at one point, I sent some of my hub managers over
派去参加百视达面试
to interview for jobs at Blockbuster
他们带着我们的人去参观工厂
and they would give 'em the grand tour
然后他们会回来汇报全部情况
and then they'd come back and report it all.
我们的人去调查百视达的运作方式时
When our people looked at what Blockbuster was doing,
他们的运作方式看起来比我们落后了两年
it looked like it was two years behind what we were doing.
这台机器是网飞改造的邮件分类设备
This machine is a standard first-class mail postal sorter
是标准的一级设备 有很多功能
that Netflix rebuilt to do many things.
我们把这些光盘放进机器内
We put these DVDs in this machine,
光盘上的条形码就在这里读取
and the barcode on the DVD is read right there.
史蒂夫`斯瓦西
前网飞公♥司♥通讯部
从那里开始按不同目标分类
And from there, it's sorted for various purposes.
网飞有很多媒体
Netflix had a lotta media,
所以显然他们的公♥关♥手段非常高明
and so, obviously, their PR strategy was brilliant.
他们的做法之一
And one of the things they did
就是把配送中心的视频传上网
is they had videos of their distribution centers online.
他们也传了很多配送中心
They also had a lot of photos of their distribution centers
和包装材料
and the packing material
以及挑拣邮件的机器的图片到网上
and the machines that were kicking stuff in and out.
事实上 我们就是利用那些照片
So, in fact, we used those pictures
去找同样的公♥司♥来构建我们的机器系统
to call the same firm to build our machinery.
我们知道很多媒体都来参观
We knew that we had lots of press coming through.
为了确保没人知道我们的自动化设备
And to make sure no one knew where our automation came from,
是从哪里来的 我们给所有设备
we relabeled all the equipment
M&J自动化
重新贴上假的品牌和城市名
with fake names and fake cities
所以如果他们试图从那里购买♥♥设备
so that if they went to go and try to buy it from there,
就会发现它不存在
they'd discover it doesn't exist.
维亚康姆出♥售♥百视达
你的电影今天到了
Your movie came today.
《异形》对吧
"Alien", right?
我不太确定放哪里了
I'm not quite sure where I--
这是什么
What is this?!
发生什么事了
What's happening?!
要跑出来了
It's coming outta my--
你会喜欢的
You're gonna like it.
在发布线上百视达之前
So, before we launched Blockbuster Online to the public,
我们进行了所谓的软发布
we had what's called a soft launch,
基本就是虽然提供服务
which is basically the service was operational,
百视达
但不对所有人开放 只邀请
not available to everybody, and we sent invites
部分朋友 家人和员工
to limited friends and family and employees
对系统进行压力测试
to stress test the system.
有趣的是 我们看到注册人里有里德·黑斯廷斯
Funny enough, we see Reed Hastings sign up.
家门口的电影商店
还有巴里·麦卡锡
We see Barry McCarthy sign up.
一大堆网飞的域名
So, we see a whole bunch of Netflix URLs
开始在百视达在线注册
start to make its way into our Blockbuster Online signup.
应了我那句话 "我们显然引起了他们的注意"
And so I said, "Apparently we have their attention."
当时是二零零四年七月 我们正准备发布
It's July 2004, we're about to launch,
网飞宣布他们产品会涨价到
and Netflix announces that they're gonna take their price
单一费率
二十一点九九美元
up to $21.99.
而我们开心得好像过节
And we are like it's Christmas.
首先 我们做过的所有市场调查都表明
One, we've done all this market research
超过二十的价格都收益惨淡
that says anything about $20 is bad news.
租你想租的任何影碟
每月22块 无滞纳金
第二 我们价格定为十九点九九美元
And two, we're gonna launch at $19.99
比网飞低
and be underneath them.
我还记得百视达线上服务发布的那天
So, I remember the launch day for Blockbuster Online.
百视达扩展类似网飞的服务
我们在达拉斯市的格拉纳达剧院
We had organized a giant launch party
举办了一场盛大的发布会
at the Granada Theater in Dallas.
重磅来袭
This is it!
百视达线上服务发布会视频
巨变将至
This is a sign!
"百视达几乎不可能
成功发布
他们的线上服务"
里德·黑斯廷斯 网飞首席执行官
兄弟 该醒了
This is your wake-up call, pal.
"你已经正式
唤醒了沉睡巨人"
约翰·阿迪奥科 百视达董事长兼首席执行官
发布会很盛大
We have this big launch party.
我们还不确定产品该不该上市
We're not sure we should go to market yet or not.
难点在于 网站可能会难以应对
Challenge was the site was maybe not quite ready
"现在做点巨人的事吧"
约翰·阿迪奥科 百视达董事长兼首席执行官
剧增的用户消费
for public consumption.
所以我们在发布后
And so, we launch,
每三十分钟重启一次服务器
and every 30 minutes we have to restart our servers
确保系统正常运行
so the system stays up.
很像仓鼠在幕后不停转动轮子
Literally, it was almost like the hamster
来保持网站运转
turning the wheel behind the scenes to keep the site up.
百视达是大品牌
They had a great brand.
令人敬畏的那种大公♥司♥
I mean, they were the one company that we all feared.
一位仍然活跃的分♥析♥师迈克尔·帕切特
In fact, there was this analyst who still is out there,
这样形容
Michael Pachter, who called them,
我们就像在大狗后面
we were like the little dog
狂吠的小狗
yapping at the heels of the big dog.
里德每季度向公♥司♥传达的信息之一就是
One of Reed's quarterly messages to the company
如何扳倒百视达
was how to take down Blockbuster.
需做大量功课去搞清楚
We needed to do a lotta work
我们价格的灵活程度
to figure out what flexibility we had on pricing.
百视达订阅者七成来自网飞
我们涨过价 也得降降价
We had taken it up, and we were gonna have to take it down.
网飞把价格降到了十七点九九美元
And then Netflix drops their price to $17.99.
他们现在在盯着我们
We clearly now have their attention.
九月百视达网站访客超过了网飞
现在得就何去何从做出决定
So, we now have to make a decision: What do we wanna do?
我想把价格降到十七点四九美元
I wanna drop the price point to $17.49.
2004年10月19日 星期二
价格战
"肖恩 有点没意思对吧"
"Shane, that's kinda kissing your sister, right?"
为打败网飞百视达开始降价 游戏开始
"如果要比价格低 索性十四点九九美元"
"If we're gonna undercut them, let's go for it: $14.99."
十四点九九
14.99?!
疯了
You're crazy!
约翰是那种只要认定交易量会大幅上升
John was always a guy who wasn't afraid to move on price
就敢大胆调整价格的人
if he thought there was a big pickup in volume to be had.
我们有劣质产品
We had an inferior product.
较少的配送中心
We didn't have as many distribution centers.
电影送达的时间也
We couldn't get the movies to the people
比网飞慢
as fast as Netflix can.
约翰的逻辑是网飞会员比百视达多多了
John's logic is we don't have that many,
他们不可能把价格降那么低
they've got a lot, they can't drop the price to get us.
网飞有两百万会员
Netflix has two million members.
降价五美元
电影精选列表