步兵需要担心的只有3样:
your rifle and your two feet.
手中的步♥枪♥和两只脚.
Pull off your boots and your socks. Both pairs.
把靴子和袜子脱了. 两只都脱掉,所有人都脱.
Come on. Bunch your canal boats together like bananas.
来,大家把脚都挤到一起来.
Massaging's good for beetle crushers.
按♥摩♥对脚有好处.
Yours is purple, Denno.
你的脚都紫了,邓诺.
Next, it'll be blue, then trench foot, then frostbite.
接下来会变黑, 再发展成战壕足病,然后是冻伤.
Then they gotta be chopped, all ten of 'em.
最后就只有截肢了, 10个脚趾头都被截掉.
Ah, you've got to rub harder than that. Here.
啊,你得多用点劲揉. 看,要这样揉.
All we've got to worry about's where the Reds will hit us from in the morning.
我们要担心的是 上午共♥军♥会从何处攻击我们.
If we can draw their fire without losing a guy to locate their guns,
我们得动动脑筋, 想办法吸引他们开火
that's using our noodle.
让他们暴露位置, 而又不给我们自己造成损失.
How's that? I don't feel anything.
好点了吧? 没什么感觉.
Oh, yeah?
没感觉?
Feel that? No.
有感觉吗? 还是没有.
Hey, Doc, come here.
嘿,医生,到这儿来.
Take a look at Denno's foot.
来看看邓诺的脚.
You got it bad, Corporal.
情况很糟,下士.
Hey...
嘿.
Hey, you better start stomping around on that, Denno.
喂,邓诺,你最好赶紧起来跺跺脚.
Get the blood circulating.
那可以促进血液循环.
Ah, that one always did go to sleep on me.
啊,总是这样我睡着了。
Let's hit the sack.
我们在睡袋上跺脚吧.
Hmm? Hmm?
呃.呃?
Hey, Rock. Huh?
嘿,洛克. 嗯?
Whatever made you stay in the army?
你为什么要留在部队里?
You woke me up just to ask me that?
你弄醒我就为问这个?
Well, I've been meaning to ask you, but I just never got the chance.
呃,我早就想问你了, 但一直没找到合适的机会.
Get some shut-eye before those people start hitting us again.
在共♥军♥再次进攻之前 还是先好好睡上一觉吧.
You want to gab, huh? Yeah.
你想聊天,呃? 是的.
That's something I've been trying to figure out myself for a long, long time.
很久以来一直想弄明白一件事.
What makes a guy stay in the army?
是什么原因 使得一个人留在军队中?
I wish I knew the answer.
我也希望知道答案.
Some of us 'cause we're dumb, I guess.
我想有的是因为笨.
Some are poor.
有的是因为穷.
Some are a little lazy.
有的是有点惰性.
Some of us got some vanity. Know what I mean?
有的是因为空虚, 你明白我的意思吗?
Yeah.
明白.
Some of us old pros stay in even when we know after the fighting's over
象我们这样的老兵, 很清楚知道战斗结束后,
some of us will rest in peace and rot in hospitals.
我们中的某些人可能已长眠于地下, 或是要在医院病床上度过漫漫余生
Even when we know all that, we stay in 'cause...
即便这样, 我们还选择留下是因为...
I don't know. It's hard to explain.
我也不知道为什么.很难说清楚.
Maybe it's something that just happens to you.
有的事情是不需要理由的.
Maybe it's the pension.
或许是因为养老金吧.
I wish I knew the answer.
但愿我知道答案.
I don't want to be a corporal. I want to get busted.
我不想当下士,我只想当普通一兵.
You what?
你说什么?
I always wanted to lead.
我曾一直想当头.
When I was in officers' school, I was head of the class.
在军官学校时, 我是我们班的班长.
They said I had the makings of a leader, the education, the brains,
都说我有成为指挥官的条件: 受过教育,有头脑...
the knack of solving tactical situations.
能巧妙处理战术态势.
One day, we had a problem with live shells. We had to knock out a tank.
但有一天,在实弹演习时出了问题. 我们的任务之一是摧毁一辆坦克.
There was a red flag there, warning not to send any men in that area.
演习时有些地方插着红旗, 表示是危险区域,禁止人员进入.
I was in command of the platoon.
我担任排长.
I don't know what happened, Rock.
我也不知道怎么回事.
The minute that stuff started flying through the air and I had to deploy my squad
演习开始, 我要为各班布置部署位置时
something happened right in the pit of my gut.
我的肚子突然不知怎么不对劲了.
I got panicky and I sent a squad to the danger zone.
我很恐慌, 把1个班派到危险区去了.
Four men were hit, one seriously.
结果有4人中弹,1人重伤.
I was there when they amputated his leg.
那个重伤员的腿被截掉了, 截肢时我也在场.
They gave me another chance.
他们又给了1次机会.
Again I got into a sweat the minute I had to give orders.
在要下达命令的那一刻,我又焦躁不安.
Then they found out what I'd known all the time.
然后他们知道了我的毛病了, 我也一直都清楚的毛病.
I can take an order.
我能够接受并执行命令.
I can't give one.
但却不能制定并下达命令.
Some men are afraid of high places, some are afraid of water.
嗯.有的人有恐高症,有的人怕水...
And some are afraid to be responsible for the deaths of a lot of other guys.
还有些人则害怕 为其他很多人的生死担责任.
That's me, Rock.
我就是这样的人,洛克.
I don't want to carry that load.
我不想扛那种重任.
Yeah. Well, a lot of guys sweat out leading an outfit.
呵,不知有多少人拼命的想当指挥官.
I mean, nobody goes out looking for responsibility.
我是说没有人会想 刻意去找担子挑.
Sometimes you find it whether you're looking for it or not.
担有时候它会自己找上你.
But I'm not looking for it. It takes brains to be a leader.
但我不想扛,要当领导,得有头脑.
I'm just smart enough not to want any part of it.
我还有自知之明.
Even a two-striper like you, you'll find out.
你会发现,即便是象你这样的下士,
Takes more than brains to be a corporal. You got to have the guts to lead.
也不是只有脑子就能当的.还得有领导别人的勇气.
Look, I'll do my job.
我说,我会做好份内事.
It's just I don't want to lead, that's all.
但是...我就是不想当领导.
Hey, take it easy. I ain't promoting you.
嘿,别紧张嘛, 我不会给你晋升的机会的.
Lonergan and me, we'll be around for a long time.
朗尼根和我不会有事的,
Ain't no burp gun fast enough to cut down an old doggy like me.
还没有子弹能追上 我这样的老兵油子呢.
If anything happened to you, Rock, I'd pull out.
洛克.如果你出了事,我会撤退.
Look, don't suck around nobody in the army for apron strings.
听着,在军队里 你不可能和所有人都搞好关系
That's all you got to depend on.
这枪就是你的依靠.
You take care of her, and she'll take care of you.
你照顾她(M1步♥枪♥),她就会照顾你.
You're over the hump, you're a rifleman.
你已经过了那道坎,你是个步兵了.
You're wrong, Rock.
你错了,洛克.
I didn't shoot that Red. Jonesy did.
那个敌军是乔西打死的,我没开枪.
Oh, well, there's a lot of Reds out there.
哦,哦,外面还有很多共♥军♥.
You'll get plenty of chances.
你还有的是机会.
One flare. One flare dead ahead.
1发照明弹. 正前方一颗照明弹.
Hey, Rock! People!
嘿,洛克!有人!
Commie medics pulling back their casualties.
共♥军♥的救护兵在回收伤员.
Just because they shoot our medics don't mean we have to shoot theirs.
他们打中我们的救护兵, 并不是我们打他们的救护兵的理由.
Hey, down there! Hold your fire!
嘿,下面的人听着!不要开枪!
Denno, come here.
邓诺,过来.
Go on up and relieve Ramirez.
上去把拉美兹换下来.
Hey, you jokers, did you hear me? I said hold your fire!
喂,你这个傻瓜, 没听到命令吗?不要开枪!
Denno. Lonergan. Do you see anything?
邓诺,朗尼根,看见什么没有?
No. Nothing. Vogl?
什么也没看见. 沃戈尔?
'Vogl, you see anything?' Nah, nothin'.
沃戈尔,看见什么了吗? 没有,啥也没看见.
Now, why do they blow them bugles?
他们干嘛现在吹军号♥?
Sometimes, it's to herald their armed approach.
有时候,这表示他们的部队就快到了.
Mostly, it's to confuse and frighten us. It's a psychological trick.
更多时候是心理战, 企图迷惑和吓唬我们的.
Hey, they're blowing "Taps." That's our own call. They stole our music!
诶,他们在吹 "熄灯号♥", 这是我们的熄灯号♥!
No, that's not our "Taps." That's a Chinese reassembly call. Listen.
不,这不是我们的熄灯号♥. 是中国人的集♥合♥号♥,听.
It ends on the same three mournful notes.
以相同的3个悲伤的调子收尾.
Hey, I don't like that tune! Let's stop the music!
嘿,我不喜欢那调子.-我们去把号♥声弄停.
Wait a minute. They want to suck us out there.
等等.他们就是想把我们引出去呢.
Hey, Whitey, you know all about them horns, don't you?
嘿,惠特尼,你清楚他们的号♥角,对吗?
Yeah, Sarge, I do. Yeah?
没错,中士.是这样. 嗯?
You go out there and get me one. Me?
你去给我弄一个来. 我去?
Sure, Mr. Belvedere. You know all about everything.
没错,贝韦德勒先生,你无所不知.
Oh, hey, wait a minute. That's one thing I don't know anything about.
哦,等等.只有这件事我一点都不了解.
I'll go with you, Whitey. Okay, both of you. Move out!
我和你一起去,惠特尼. 好,你们俩一起去.出发吧!
Hey, you guys going out to relieve Bigmouth?
嘿,你们是去替换大嘴的吗?
No. We've got to get a Chinese bugle. You got one on you?
不,我们要去弄只共♥军♥的军号♥来.你有吗?
Look, wise guy, that minefield starts right here.
嘿,小伙子们,看好, 雷区就是从这开始的.
Ah, I can walk through it with my eyes closed.
啊,放心,我闭着眼都能走过雷区.
Some other time.
少牛逼了.
No. I'm on the level about getting that Chinese bugle.
现在,我就要去弄个共♥军♥的军号♥回来了.
Uh, say, Harvey? Yeah?
哎,哈维? 呃?
How'd you like to make a fast five dollar bill?
想不想马上挣5美元? 你想...?
Save it. Come on.
还是算了吧.
I'm beginning to know that tune.
我开始搞清楚它的调子了.
I made that up myself.
我自己填的词.
Hey, are you a fullblooded Cherokee? That's what they tell me.
嘿,聪明人,你是嗜杀切诺基人吗? 他们是这么说我的.
All right, you guys, relax. We got O.P.'s all over the place.
行了,放松点,我们到处都有观测所.
Whose coffee is this?
谁的咖啡?
Hey! Who belongs to this coffee? Not me.
嘿!这是谁的咖啡? 不是我的.
Oh, thanks, Rock. Here.