we don't know yet how fast DNA, er, takes to degenerate.
我们尚不知道DNA退化的周期
But...in theory, it's possible.
但理论上 是可行的
Yes.
是的
All right. So, I'll send you the blood from Gavin Hopkirk
好的 那我尽快给你送来嘉文·霍普柯克的血样
and the samples from Lynda Mann as soon as possible. Right.
以及琳达·曼恩的样本 好
Er, how long will the test take?
要检测多久
Well, I'm not really sure. To be honest...
我不确定 老实说
this was never really meant as a tool for police work.
这本来不是打算用作刑侦手段的
But, erm...rest assured, we will do what we can.
但是 我保证 我们会尽力的
Well, OK.
好吧
Right. We'll be in touch, then. OK.
好 我们再联♥系♥ 嗯
Alec?
亚力克
Ok.
好了
Hair sample from Lynda Mann.
琳达·曼恩的毛发样本
This is Gavin Hopkirk's blood.
嘉文·霍普柯克的血样
And a semen sample
以及精♥液♥样本
taken from Lynda Mann.
从琳达·曼恩身上采集到的
What is it?
是什么
It's an item of her...clothing.
是她的一件衣物
Right.
好了
What do you think?
你怎么看
I think we should run the test again.
我看 我们得再做一遍检测
This is the genetic pattern of Lynda Mann.
这是琳达·曼恩的基因图谱
And this is the genetic pattern of the semen.
这是精♥液♥样本的基因图谱
Now, as you can see, Lynda's two distinctive characters.
可以看到 这是琳达的两个标志性特征
Sorry, er... I don't understand.
抱歉 我没太懂
Well, the semen sample contains
精♥液♥样本中含有
some of Lynda's genetic code
部分琳达的基因序列
and also some of her assailant's genetic code.
也有她袭击者的基因序列
So, we know this is Lynda...
所以我们可以得知 这是琳达
and this is her assailant.
这是她的袭击者
Now, this is Gavin Hopkirk's genetic code.
这是嘉文·霍普柯克的基因序列
As you can see, it's completely different from the...semen sample.
可以看到 他的序列跟精♥液♥样本完全不同
So...are you telling us
那么 你是说
that Gavin Hopkirk didn't kill Lynda Mann?
嘉文·霍普柯克没杀害琳达·曼恩
Yes.
是的
Look, the bar codes Sod the bar codes!
这些条码 去他的条码
That lad confessed to the murder of Dawn Ashworth,
那小子承认了杀害唐恩·阿什沃斯
and we know he killed Lynda. OK, Dr. Jeffreys
我们知道他也杀了琳达 杰弗里斯博士
Dr. Jeffreys is talking through his arse!
杰弗里斯博士净胡扯呢
Sorry!
抱歉
Right. Alec, I want you to run the same tests
好吧 亚力克 你再对从唐恩·阿什沃斯
on the samples we've got from Dawn Ashworth.
身上提取的样本 进行同样的检测
I thought you had a confession. We do!
不是已经拿到供认了吗 没错
It's on tape. We need to be sure.
录下来了 得确定无疑
Absolutely.
当然
Dawn Ashworth's profile.
唐恩·阿什沃斯的序列
This is her genetic pattern and this is the pattern of her assailant.
这是她的基因序列 这是袭击者的序列
This, as you know, is Gavin Hopkirk's...
这个 是嘉文·霍普柯克的
..Profile.
序列
I'm sorry.
很遗憾
Are you sure? Are you 100% sure?
你确定 百分百确定吗
There's no doubt.
毫无疑问
Gavin Hopkirk did not murder Lynda Mann,
嘉文·霍普柯克没有杀害琳达·曼恩
nor did he murder Dawn Ashworth.
也没杀害唐恩·阿什沃斯
But what we do know is that
但我们可以知道
it was indeed the same man...
的确是同一个人
..That raped and murdered both girls.
强♥奸♥杀害了两个女孩
It just wasn't Gavin Hopkirk.
但不是嘉文·霍普柯克
Well, this is a complete fucking disaster.
简直糟糕透顶
The Forensic Science Service have confirmed the test results.
法医科学中心确认了检测结果
The Home Office have read them.
内政部也看到了
So, we're back to square one. Be that as it may.
那我们回到原地了 虽然如此
We'll inform the CPS and Mr. Hopkirk's solicitor immediately.
我们要马上通知皇家检察署和霍普柯克先生的律师
He's to be released without charge.
他要无罪释放
Yes, sir. Why did the lad confess, hm?
是 长官 他为什么要认罪啊
Did you pressure him? Everything is on tape, sir.
你们逼供了吗 一切都有录音 长官
My team is above suspicion.
我的手下无可指摘
When I speak to the press tomorrow,
等我明天召开记者招待会
you're gonna be sitting right next to me. All right? Yeah.
你要坐在我旁边 好吗 是
Is it me, or have you gone to cloud-cuckoo land?
只有我觉得你是完全疯了吗
You've got the evidence!
你都拿到证据了
We've witnesses put him at the scene. I know.
我们有目击者证明他在现场 我知道
He's admitted he was there and he's confessed!
他都承认自己去了 也认罪了
Who, in their right mind would...
哪有人会
confess to a crime...to a murder they didn't commit?
承认他们没犯下的杀人罪啊
I don't know, Alan! But it wouldn't be the first time, would it?
我不知道 艾伦 但这也不会是头一遭了吧
Chances are we'll never know.
我们可能永远不得而知
But the DNA proves it beyond doubt.
但DNA给出了确凿证据
So what? His confession is worthless?
怎么 他的供认就毫无价值了吗
The confession of an innocent boy.
那是无辜男孩的供认
A boy who could have ended up
他本可能
behind bars for God knows how many years. Come on!
被关在监狱里很久 想想看
Listen! Like it or not, the science has saved us.
听着 不管怎样 科学是救了我们
Well, of course the police are angry.
警方当然生气了
But it's not you, Alec. It's the evidence, the science.
但不是气你 亚力克 是气证据 是科学
What if it's wrong?
如果错了呢
What if I'm wrong?
如果我错了呢
What if I missed something obvious. No!
如果我漏掉了什么呢 不会
Without you that lad would have been convicted
如果不是你 那孩子会为他没做的事
and jailed for life for something he didn't do.
被定罪 入狱终生
And the real killer would still be out there.
而真正的凶手却还逍遥法外
The real killer IS still out there.
真正的凶手的确还逍遥法外呢