Discovered in 1869 by Friedrich Miescher,
弗雷德里希·米歇尔在1869年发现了
deoxyribonucleic acid, or DNA,
脱氧核糖核酸 也就是DNA
is the very essence of who we are.
它决定了我们的身份
99.5 per cent of all human genetic make-up
人类99.5%的基因组成
is the same.
都是一样的
But hidden within that 0.5 per cent
但在那0.5%里
lies our unique genetic code.
隐藏着我们独特的遗传密♥码♥
Now, what would happen if we could see that code?
如果我们能看到这一密♥码♥呢
Understand it.
能解读它呢
Yes. I didn't disturb you by any chance?
喂 我没打扰到你吧
I'm sorry, I'm on my way.
对不起 我很快就回来了
Your dinner's in the dog.
你的晚餐给狗吃了
W... We don't have a dog.
我们没有狗啊
I'll see you later.
晚点见
O...OK. All right. Bye. Bye.
好的 再见
What were you doing every time?
你每次都干什么呢
Listen, I'm telling you.
听我说
Mum... Mum.
妈妈 妈妈
Linda's not home yet. What d'you mean?
琳达还没回来 什么意思
Where is she? I don't know.
她在哪 我不知道
I didn't know what to do, I couldn't leave Becky for long.
我不知道该怎么办 我不能离开贝姬太久
OK, er, I'll go look. You stay with your mum.
好吧 我去找找 你陪着妈妈
OK. All right.
好的 好
Come on, love. Let's go back inside. Come on.
来 亲爱的 我们进去 走吧
It's all right.
不会有事的
Linda!
琳达
Linda!
琳达
Linda!
琳达
Good morning,
早上好
it's seven o'clock on Tuesday, 22nd November.
现在是11月22日星期二 早上7点
The headlines this morning...
今晨新闻提要
What time did you get back last night? Oh, er, not so late.
你昨晚几点回来的 没有很晚
I fed Lizzie at three, I think.
我3点给莉兹喂过一次奶
I extracted some DNA from the seal myoglobin gene.
我从海豹的肌红蛋白基因里提取了一些DNA
Really! Put it on some gel, ran electricity through it...
真的呀 放在凝胶上 然后通电
You'd have loved it, Sarah.
你一定会喜欢的 莎拉
Bright pink bands like bracelets.
像手镯一样的亮粉色带子
Have you seen my notebook?
你看到我的笔记本了吗
And how was your night, Sue?
你昨晚怎么样 苏
Oh, not so bad.
不算太糟
I'm sorry, darling. This work I'm doing...
对不起 亲爱的 我现在的工作
I get a bit carried away.
让我有点忘乎所以
I'll be home early tonight.
今晚我会早点回来的
Cub's honour? Cub's honour.
发誓 我发誓
It's under the cushion.
在坐垫底下
What would I do without you.
没有你我可怎么办
Sleep even less, probably!
也许睡得更少吧
Bye, girls.
再见了 姑娘们
Is it her? We think so.
是她吗 我们认为是
Just over here.
就在这儿
Geoff? Forensic?
杰夫 鉴证人员呢
Yeah, they just got here, sir. Pathologist is on the way. Right.
他们刚到 长官 法医正赶过来 好的
She's called Lynda Mann. Yes.
她叫琳达·曼恩 嗯
Teenager, reported missing just after midnight.
少女 午夜之后有人报♥警♥说她失踪了
When was she found? Half seven this morning.
几点找到的 今早7点30
Ambulance driver on his way to work.
一个救护车司机在上班路上发现的
14, 15?
14岁还是15岁
Have her parents been told?
告诉她父母了吗
I was about to, but, er... No, no. I'll do it.
我刚要去 但是 不 让我来吧
Where do they live?
他们住在哪
Couple of hundred yards.
几百码外
Right, the whole area.
搜查整片区域
Every blade of grass,
每一根草
as many men as you need.
你需要多少人都行
Let's get going with the house to house. Yes, boss!
开始挨家挨户盘问 是 长官
Where does Black Pad come out?
黑小路从哪接过来的
King Edward Avenue, sir.
爱德华♥国♥王大道 长官
Right, King Edward Avenue,
好的 爱德华♥国♥王大道
Forest Road, Desford Road.
森林路 德斯福德路
That's how she will have got...here,
她可能是这样到这里来的
and how the killer would have made his escape. Start there.
凶手也可能是这样逃跑的 从那儿开始查
Yes, sir.
是 长官
Someone must have seen something.
一定有人目击到什么
I'm Detective Chief Superintendent David Baker.
我是大卫·贝克总警司
Detective Constable Kholi, WPC Freeman.
这是克里警官 弗里曼女警官
Can we, er, come in for a minute?
我们能进来一下吗
Thank you.
谢谢
Er, can I sit down?
我能坐下吗
I'm sorry to have to tell you that we found Lynda.
很遗憾地告诉你们 我们找到琳达了
It's the worst possible news, I'm afraid, very sorry.
恐怕是最坏的消息 很遗憾
No, don't say that.
不 不要这么说
I'm very sorry.
很抱歉
No, don't say that, please!
不 不要这么说 求你
Please don't say that!
不要啊
I'm very sorry.
真的很抱歉
Where was she?
她在哪
We'll get into the details later. I'll tell you.
我们之后会谈细节 会告诉你们
No, go away! Go away.
不 走开 你们都走
Go away.
走啊
So, what has DNA got to do with seal meat?
DNA和海豹肉有什么关系呢
Well, I'll tell you what.
听我说
Lovely myoglobin.
可爱的肌红蛋白
Now, we've located the gene
我们已经找到了
that makes myoglobin,
制♥造♥肌红蛋白的基因
developed and adapted over millions of years.
数百万年间它不断发展 变化
Seals have the myoglobin gene.
海豹有肌红蛋白基因
Mice have the myoglobin gene...
老鼠有肌红蛋白基因
..Humans have the myoglobin gene.
人类也有肌红蛋白基因
Within the DNA sequence of the myoglobin gene,
在肌红蛋白基因的DNA序列中
we've discovered a kind of stutter.
我们发现了一种重复
Er, a repetition of certain letters.
某些字母反复出现
So, let's say the DNA sequence was,
我们假设DNA序列是...
er, Mary Had A Little Lamb, for example.
"玛丽有一只小绵羊"
Er, your Mary Had A Little Lamb would read,
你的"玛丽有一只小绵羊"读起来是
Mary Had A A A Little Lamb.
"玛丽有一一一只小绵羊"
And that's the stutter that makes you, you.
这种重复让你成为你这个人
Er, your stutter might read
你的重复可能是
Mary Had A A A A A... Little Lamb.
"玛丽有一一一一一只小绵羊"
But, it's that stutter that makes you unique.
但正是这种重复让你独一无二
We've been cutting up the DNA
我们一直在努力将DNA
into smaller and smaller pieces...
切成越来越小的片段...
using enzymes...
利用酶...
in the hope of getting a closer look at this stutter.
希望能把这种重复看得更清楚
Ladies and gentlemen, this is Vicky Wilson.
女士们先生们 这位是薇姬·威尔逊
Alec's long-suffering lab technician.
亚力克饱受折磨的实验室技术员
Senior long-suffering lab technician
是饱受折磨的资深实验室技术员
if you don't mind!
如果你不介意的话
Vicky, would you mind
薇姬 你是否可以
showing these first-year students something of what we do.
给这些大一学生介绍一下我们的工作
As a matter of fact, Alec, I'm...
实际上 亚力克 我正...
I just need to have a quick, er, quick look. Excuse me.
我就去看一眼 很快 失陪
These small vials of colourless...
这些小瓶里的无色...
Well, come on! Keep up!
拜托 跟上思路啊
These small vials of colourless liquid
这些小瓶里的无色液体
have DNA plus enzymes in them.
里面含有DNA和酶
And, er, over there is where we do the radioactive work,
那边是我们进行放射性工作的地方
trying not to get ourselves irradiated,
努力防止自己被辐射到
or at least, I try not to.
至少 我在努力
Alec likes to bend some laboratory protocol,
亚力克喜欢无视一些实验室规程
including...tidying up and not using other people's apparatus!
包括整理收拾和不要使用别人的仪器