Believe me, I share your caution.
相信我 我也有同样的顾虑
Look, we're all taking very real risks here -
我们都在冒险
reputations, careers, money.
名誉 职业 资金
But what ARE we doing here?
但我们究竟在做什么
What's the risk of not carrying out this experiment?
如果不进行这项试验有什么风险
Another teenage girl being raped and murdered?
又会有少女被强♥奸♥杀害
More than that, I think this new test
另外 我认为这项新测试
might be able to find the man who committed these murders
或许能找到犯下这些案子的凶手
and prevent him from committing any more.
并阻止他再犯案
I believe ICI now own the patent for your invention.
你的发明的专利权现在在英国化学工业公♥司♥那里吧
That's correct.
是的
My understanding is that the Home Office feel
据我理解 内政部认为
they should have Crown privilege over Dr Jeffreys' invention.
他们应对杰弗里斯博士的发明拥有行政特权
It would certainly make things a lot easier.
那样事情会简单得多
Well, ICI have invested a great deal of money
英化学公♥司♥为开♥发♥这项新技术
into developing these new techniques.
已经投入了大量资金
I understand that and good for them.
这我理解 恭喜他们
This government is all for rewarding free enterprise.
本政♥府♥鼓励自♥由♥企业
The fact remains...
但是 事实就是
This is all about money.
这都是为了钱
I would love to support this idea,
我很乐意支持这一举措
but I also live in the real world.
但我也生活在现实世界里
Where does the half a million come from?
这五十万要从哪挤出来
Nurses? Teachers? Bobbies on the beat?
护士 老师 巡警
You found it for the miners' strike.
你们不是找到钱摆平矿工罢♥工♥了吗
Sorry.
抱歉
Well, let's just see what happens.
等结果吧
Here we are, sir. Oh, thank you.
这边请 先生 谢谢
Hello, Alec. David.
你好啊 亚力克 大卫
Have a sitting in there.
坐吧
So Dennis Thatcher was at ICI last week. Yeah.
丹尼斯·撒切尔上周去了英化学公♥司♥ 进
They told him about the Home Office's reluctance
他们告诉他说内政部不肯
to pay for the privilege of using your invention.
付钱使用你的发明
So, Mr Thatcher has a word with his missus,
所以撒切尔先生回去给老婆吹了枕边风
who let it be known that if the Home Office doesn't cough up,
她告诉内政部 他们如果不出钱
she'd want to know why.
她要知道原因
Are YOU working for Thatcher now?
你还给撒切尔工作了吗
Well, whoever it is, we got what we wanted.
不管怎么样 我们得偿所愿了
Blood testing's on.
血检可以进行了
How's the Forensic Science Service doing?
法医科学中心怎么样了
Well, I spoke to Peter Gill and we're ready to go, I think.
我跟彼得·吉尔通过话 我们准备好了
All we need to do now is persuade the locals.
我们现在只需要说服本地人参加了
Now, this is our best chance to convince the community.
这是我们说服社区配合的最佳机会
So don't fuck it up!
别搞砸了
Firstly, can I say that we are
首先 我要说明
only interested in men between the ages of 18 and 34.
我们只需要18到34岁间的男性
and Dr Jeffreys here can talk to you about blood samples and the process,
杰弗里斯博士可以跟大家讲讲采血过程
but from the police point of view,
从警方来说
we're not interested in speeding fines
我们对超速罚款
or TV licence evasion,
或电视费欠缴不感兴趣
whatever the media likes to speculate about.
不管媒体做什么样的猜测
We want to catch the killer.
我们想抓住凶手
What we need is more police on the beat and more street lighting.
我们需要更多的警♥察♥巡逻 增加街灯
Our children are coming home in the dark from school.
我们的孩子放学回来都走在黑暗里
I understand your concerns and we are liaising with the local council,
我理解你们的顾虑 我们也在跟地方议会协商
but tonight's meeting is...
但今晚的集♥会♥
What I don't like is you treating us all as guilty,
我不喜欢你把我们都当做罪犯对待
until the professor manages to prove otherwise.
除非那个教授能拿出确凿证据
Sir, our aim is simply to exclude people from the investigation.
先生 我们的目标仅仅是排除大家的嫌疑
Once we get the results,
等我们拿到了结果
we'll send letters to every man telling him
我们会发信给每个人 告诉他
that his name has been cleared.
他已经被排除了嫌疑
What are you going to do afterwards with these blood samples?
你们稍后要怎么处理这些血样
Once we find the killer,
等我们找到了凶手
we will destroy all the samples.
我们就会销毁所有血样
Who's to say, that in a few years time,
谁能说再过几年
DNA fingerprinting won't be rubbished?
DNA指纹分♥析♥不会被证明是错的
Cause it... Dr Jeffreys... Alec, will you...?
因为 杰弗里斯博士 亚力克 你来
Yes.
嗯
We are all different from each other -
我们每个人都与众不同
unique.
独一无二
And this uniqueness
这种独一性
can be seen in the form of our genetic make-up.
可以从基因构成看出来
We get this from our mothers and fathers,
这是我们从母亲父亲那里遗传来的
who get their genetic make-up from their parents and so on.
而他们的基因构成遗传自他们的父母
Right. What if someone don't want to do it?
如果有人不肯做呢
Excuse me, can I say something, please?
我能说句话吗
I lost my...our daughter to this...fiend.
我们的女儿 被这个恶魔害死了
We all want to catch him and if that means every man of the right age
我们都想抓住他 如果要做到这点
having to give a tiny bit of blood in order to do so then,
就需要适龄男子都给出一点血
for God's sake, let's get on with it.
那拜托 我们赶紧做吧
A sample of blood.
一份血样
That's all it takes.
就需要这么多
It's then carefully sealed into one of these,
然后血样会被小心封存
then carefully labelled and sent to the laboratory
仔细标注 送去实验室
where it undergoes a series of processes
经过一系列程序
that, in the end, produces a barcode -
最终 得到一份条码
just like you see in the supermarket.
就像超♥市♥里的那种
This is what
这就是
my genetic fingerprint looks like.
我的基因指纹的样子
What if there's a mistake?
如果弄错了呢
Let me be absolutely clear about this.
我说清楚
There is no mistake.
这事不会有错
All of us have one of these.
我们每个人 都有这个
And all of them are different,
每个人的都不一样
unique.
是独一的
This is me. This is my unique code.
这是我 这是我独一的密♥码♥
And this...
而这个
..is the code of the killer.
是真凶的密♥码♥
You don't need to be here, you know.
你不用来的
Yes, I do.
我该来
Are you all right?
你没事吧
I'm fine. I think it's probably the flu or something.
我没事 可能是染上流感了
All right, Geoff.
好了 杰夫
All right. Everybody, gather round.
好了 大家聚过来
The boss has got something to say.
老大有话要说
Right, make sure you take their full names,
好了 一定记下他们的全名
their addresses - both work and home - telephone numbers.
地址 工作和家庭住址 电♥话♥号♥码
We also need to check photo ID.
还要检查照片证件
If they haven't got photo ID, you take their photo,
如果没有带照片证件 现拍一张
you write their name across the back
名字写在照片后面
and you arrange a time and a date to visit to confirm who they are.
再标上来访时间及日期 以确认身份
Also, make sure...
还有 要确保
all samples are labelled with
所有样本都标有
their name and a number that they've been assigned.
他们的名字和编号♥
Right?
好吗
Alec?
亚力克
Once labelled, they'll be sent to the Forensic Science Service
标注好的样本会被送至奥尔德马斯顿的
at Aldermaston.
法医科学中心
Now, we can't afford to make any mistakes.
这次我们万万不能出错
If you feel you may have
如果你觉得
contaminated a sample in any way, do it again.
样本有任何被污染了的可能 重做一遍
If we get this wrong,
如果我们出了错
this man will slip through the net
这个人将逃脱法网
and we will not get another chance.
我们不会再有第二次机会
Is that clear?
清楚了吗
Yes, sir.
是 长官
Sure? Got it? Right, let's go.
确定 明白了 好 开工
I must say, it looks very impressive.
我得说 这场面真让人激动
Yes, well, now we just need someone to turn up.
是啊 现在只等有人来了