与珍妮丝手挽着手散步,我感到温暖和感激。
I felt warm and grateful, walking arm in arm with Janice.
她得去好莱坞的办公室报到。
She had to report to her office in Hollywood.
我在市中心的俱乐部有个房♥间。
I had a room at my club downtown.
但我们约好那天晚上7点在她住的酒店见面。
But we'd arranged to meet that evening at her hotel, at 7:00.
我很早就到了那里,感觉就像一个初次约会的高中男孩。
I got there early, feeling like a high school boy on his first date.
嗯,45美分。那太好了。
Uh, that's 45 cents. = that'll be fine.
——有。你还需要什么吗?
- There. - Do you need anything else?
什么都没有。谢谢。
Nothing else. Thanks.
-请接Janice bell小姐。-呃,127。
- Miss Janice bell, please. - Uh, 127.
-要我宣布你来吗?——没有。她在等我。
- Shall I announce you? - No. She's expecting me.
沿着走廊一直走,在你的右边。
Straight down the corridor and to your right.
谢谢你!
Thank you.
我能为您效劳吗?
May I help you?
不要紧。
Never mind.
进来。
Come in.
抱歉这样闯进来,但我等不及了。
Sorry to barge in like this, but I couldn't wait.
-没事的。-我7点才去见他。
- It's alright. - I'm not meeting him until 7:00.
你在金斯敦找到他了吗?
Did you find him in Kingston?
像一个迷失的灵魂在大旅馆里徘徊。
Wandering about the big hotel like a lost soul.
他怀疑过什么吗?
Did he suspect anything?
我假装自己在加勒比海旅行,要在那里过夜。
I pretended I was on one of those Caribbean tours that stop overnight.
我最大的困难是说服他回来。
Most trouble I had was persuading him to come back.
直到最后一刻都是生死攸关。
It was touch and go to the last minute.
我不奇怪,事实上,我很惊讶你能让他离开verna。
I don't wonder, in fact, I'm surprised you got him to leave verna at all.
维娜没跟他在一起。
Verna wasn't with him.
不是和他吗?她在哪里?
Not with him? Where was she?
我不知道,我想他也不知道。
I don't know and I don't think he does.
太不可思议了。
Well, that's incredible.
我赌十万块她跟他去了。
I'd have bet a hundred thousand dollars she went with him.
调查格里塔的死因?
Looked into Greta's death?
洛杉矶来了个警探。
A detective went up from Los Angeles.
他检查了旅行车,和卡车司机谈了谈,仔细检查了警方的记录,然后报告说,这绝对是一场意外。
He examined the station wagon, talked to the truck driver, double checked the police records and reported, it was definitely an accident.
奇怪的是,我几乎很高兴。
In an odd way, I'm almost glad.
你不会又爱上他了吧?
You're not falling in love with him again?
如果他什么都不做会有那么错吗?
Would it be so wrong if he hasn't done anything?
亲爱的,我可以向你保证他做了什么。
My dear, I can assure you he's done something.
两个女人不可能在同一天突然消失。
Two women don't vanish on the same day just accidentally.
我们已经排除了ballentine夫人,但还有verna。
We've eliminated Mrs. ballentine, but there's still verna.
她可能刚出城。
She probably just left town.
我不这么想。
I don't think so.
她手里有72美元,差不多是两周的工资。
She had $72 coming, almost two weeks' pay.
我知道verna,她不会放过的。
And I know verna, she'd never let it go.
这招太过分了,有那么一分钟,我都快被逼疯了。
That was one below the belt, and for a minute, it had me on the ropes.
在一种迷迷糊糊的恐慌中挣扎着。
Hanging on in a kind of groggy panic.
然后我开始思考。
Then I began to think.
葛丽塔没有危险。
No danger from Greta.
警方说是意外死亡。
Accidental death, the police had said.
特伦顿查不出薇娜了。
And Trenton was at a dead end on verna.
我很安全。
I was safe enough.
你好。
Hello.
我有事要跟你商量。
I have something to take up with you.
你有吗?
You have?
这很严重。
It's pretty serious.
你迟到了五分钟。
You're five minutes late.
哦,这很严重。
Oh, that is serious.
罚款是多少,法官大人?
What's the fine, your honor?
马上喝下一杯马提尼。
One Martini to be consumed at once.
还好我没迟到半小时。
Oh, glad I wasn't a half-hour late.
又迟到了,巴伦丁先生?
Out late again, Mr. ballentine?
是的。
Yeah.
我和送牛奶的人毫无进展。
I ran a dead heat with the milkman.
只有他携带的东西是经过认证的,对吧?
Only what he was carrying was certified, huh?
你说得有道理,盖斯。一个明确的点。
You got a point there, Gus. A definite point.
喂?
Hello?
是的,他是。
Yeah, he is.
有位女士要见你,巴伦丁先生。
A lady to see you, Mr. ballentine.
一位女士吗?
A lady?
她没有名字吗?= verna Carlson。
Doesn't she have a name? = verna Carlson.
要我告诉她你很忙吗?
Shall I tell her you're busy?
是的。
Yeah.
不。
No.
让她……绕到游泳池入口处来。
Have her... Come around to the swimming pool entrance.
巴伦坦先生吗?
Mr. ballentine?
你说你是维娜·卡尔森是什么意思?
What's the idea of saying you're verna Carlson?
哦,我没有。我是苏珊·海恩斯。维娜的室友,记得吗?
Oh, I didn't. I'm Susan Haines. Verna's roommate, remember?
他说是verna。
He said it was verna.
哦,不。我说的是关于verna的。
Oh, no. I said it was about verna.
关于她吗?她怎么了?
About her? What about her?
那只小老鼠欠我一个半月的房♥租。
Well, the little rat owes me a month and a half rent.
84美元。
$84.
哦,那太糟糕了。为什么来找我?
Well, that's too bad. Why come to me?
我想也许你能告诉我她在哪。
Well, I thought maybe you could tell me where she is.
你怎么会有这个想法?=弗娜。
What gave you that idea? = verna.
她走之前好像暗示过她要从你这儿要点钱。
She sort of hinted just before she left that she was going to get some money from you.
这是我第一次听说。
Well, that's the first I've heard about it.
我以为这可能是个玩笑。
I thought it might be a gag.
事实上,我离开办公室后就没见过她。
Actually, I haven't seen her since I left the office.
嗯,值得一试。
Well, it was worth a try.
现在,我去找警♥察♥。
Now, I go to the police.
等一下。
Wait a minute.
-你说要多少钱?——84美元。
- How much did you say it was? - $84.
我给你开张支票。=哦,不,看。
I'll write you a check. = oh, no, look.
-我想向她收钱。-我会碰到她的
- I want to collect from her. - Uh, I'll be bumping into her.
这样我就有理由跟她开玩笑了。
And it will give me something to kid her about.
-你不介意吗?-我当然不介意。
- You don't mind? - Well, of course I don't mind.
我…我马上就回来。
I... I'll be right back.
毕竟,它只有84美元。
After all, it was only $84.
在我看来,你的解释与事实几乎不相符。
Your explanation, it seems to me, hardly fits the facts.
为什么不呢?
Why doesn't it?
我写支票只是为了不让verna有麻烦。
I simply wrote the check to keep verna out of trouble.
你确定不是为了不让海恩斯小姐报♥警♥吗?
You sure it wasn't to keep miss Haines from going to the police?
这会给verna带来麻烦,不是吗?
That would be trouble for verna, wouldn't it?
或者对你来说,如果你付钱勒索她的话。
Or for you, if you'd been paying her blackmail.
听着,指控我给维娜付钱是不会帮你找到她的。
Look, accusing me of paying verna blackmail isn't going to find her for you.
你刚和海恩斯家的女人耍的把戏也不算什么。
Neither is a trick like the one you just cooked up with the Haines woman.
没必要发脾气。
There's no need to lose your temper.
我不是在发脾气,我只是告诉你我不知道verna在哪里,我也不想知道。
I'm not losing my temper, I'm simply telling you I don't know where verna is and I don't expect to know.
但就算有,我也不会告诉你。明白了吗?
But if I ever do, I won't tell you. Is that clear?
你妻子死后你就没见过她吗?
You've never seen her since your wife died?
——从来没有。-之前也没有吗?
- Never. - Nor even just before?
甚至之前也没有。
Nor even just before.
我想让你见见你的一个朋友。
I want you to meet a friend of yours.
哦,你好,ballentine先生。好久不见。
Oh, howdy there, Mr. ballentine. Long time, no see.
你也卷进来了吗?
You mixed up in this thing, too?
他没有卷入任何事情。
He isn't mixed up in anything.
我只是想让他把跟我说过的话告诉你。
I simply want him to tell you what he told me.
-那是什么?-是关于这个女孩的
- What's that? - Well, it's about this girl.
他们给我看照片的那个。
The one they showed me the picture of.
当然,那天我看到她在店里见你。
Of course, I seen her meet you at the store that day.
然后你和她开车去农场。
Then her and you drive off toward the ranch.
你还记得吗?我当然不喜欢。
You remember that? = of course I don't.
如果我遇见了她又有什么区别呢?
And what difference would it make if I had met her?
完全不同,我们认为维娜是来勒索你的。
Quite a difference, you see, we think verna was there to blackmail you.
又是同样的老调。
The same old tune again.
不完全是。
Not exactly.
我们认为是你杀了她,把尸体藏在了农场。
We think you killed her and hid her body on the ranch.
然后你开车带着你的妻子走了,不幸的是,出了车祸,没有必要谋杀verna。
Then you drove off with your wife and unfortunately, had the accident which would have made it unnecessary to murder verna.
如果我相信这种事,特伦顿,我会报♥警♥的。
If I believed a thing like that, Trenton, I'd take it to the police.
我有。
I have.
洛杉矶凶案组的卡尔中尉。
Lt. Carr of the Los Angeles homicide bureau.
电影精选列表