我想你们都意识到我们在这里决定的是一件非常重要的事情。
I guess you folks all realize this is a mighty important matter we're decidin' here.
一个人是否犯了谋杀罪。
Whether or not a man has committed murder.
州政♥府♥在陈述案情方面做得很好。
The state's done a fine job in presenting its case.
它让五男五女坐上了那把椅子,他们都是关键证人。
It put five men and women in that chair, key witnesses.
而一个人必须走很长的路才能找到五个更好的。
And a person would have to go a long ways to find five better ones.
为什么,任何人都能一眼看出,他们不是那种会编造故事的人。
Why, anybody could tell right off, they weren't the kind of people who'd make up things.
洛杉矶著名的商人。
A prominent Los Angeles businessman.
年轻的职业女性。
A young professional woman.
一个开了20年乡村商店的人。
A man who's run a country store for 20 years.
全国性新闻杂♥志♥的作家。
A writer on a national news magazine.
我们市凶案组的头儿。
And the head of our city's homicide bureau.
我想你们这些陪审团成员都相信他们说的是实话。
I reckon there's no doubt among you folks on the jury that they've been tellin' the truth.
就像律师们说的,据他们所知和所信。
Like the lawyers say, to the best of their knowledge and belief.
即使是这样,我想法官也在想
Would even so, I suppose the judge is wonderin'
为什么我不交叉询问?
why I didn't cross-examine?
也许在他看来我很懒,或者我用虚假的借口从我的客户那里拿钱。
Probably looks to him like I'm lazy, or that I'm takin' money from my client under false pretenses.
好吧,也许我是。
Well, maybe I am.
但我有一个想法,五个真理并不总是加起来就是一个大真理。
But I got an idea that five truths don't always add up to make one single big truth.
你知道,当我还是个孩子的时候,在学习三个r的时候,我发现三个苹果加两个苹果等于五个苹果,而三个苹果加两个橘子则不能。
You know, when I was a youngster, learnin' my three rs, I found out that three apples and two apples, made five apples, and that three apples and two oranges, didn't.
我认为,这就是我们在这里得到的。
And I think, that's what we got here.
苹果和橘子,被加在一起。
Apples and oranges, bein' added together.
我不是在指责我的朋友,地区检察官故意这么做。
I'm not accusin' my friend, the district attorney of doin' this deliberately.
他在尽自己最大的能力去寻找真♥相♥,并根据真♥相♥采取行动。
He's tryin' to the best of his ability to seek out and act upon the truth.
找出杀害维尔娜·卡尔森的凶手并将其绳之以法。
To discover and bring to judgement the murderer of verna Carlson.
如果发生了谋杀。
If murder has been done.
但我认为在这件事上他被一个女人的激♥情♥引入了歧途。
But I think in this case he's been led astray by the passion of one woman.
你们已经见过她了,也听过她提供的模棱两可的事实构成了控方案件的基石。
You've already seen her, you've heard her supply the equivocal truths that form the cornerstone for the state's case.
现在,你可能想知道谁来帮我们把苹果和橘子分开?
And now, you probably want to know who's to sort out the apples from the oranges for us?
谁来告诉我们最后的真♥相♥?
Who's to give us this final truth?
好吧,只有一个人能做到。
Well, just one person can do it.
就像他临终前说的那样,讲一个完整的故事。
Tell a whole story as he would on his deathbed.
不会很漂亮的。
It won't be pretty.
我不得不查字典来找这个词。
I had to look in the dictionary to find words for it.
无情的,可耻的……肮脏的…残忍♥。
Heartless, shameful... Sordid... cruel.
他是个坏丈夫,坏公民。
He's been a bad husband and a bad citizen.
他违反了六条道德准则,撒谎,欺骗,背叛那些爱他的人。
He's violated half a dozen moral laws, lied, cheated and betrayed those who loved him.
但你们必须记住,女士们先生们,他不是因为这些过失而受审的,尽管这些过失可能很坏。
But you must remember, ladies and gentlemen, that he is not on trial for these derelictions, bad as they may be.
我们只关心一个问题,他到底有没有杀人?
We're concerned here with one question and one question alone, did he or did he not commit murder?
我可以开始辩护了吗,法官大人?
May I proceed with the defense, your honor?
你可以继续了,卡希尔先生。
You may proceed, Mr. Cahill.
劳伦斯·巴伦丁,你愿意出庭作证吗?
Lawrence ballentine, will you take the stand?
举起你的右手。
Raise your right hand.
你可否庄严宣誓你在本庭审理的案件中所作的证词都是真实的,全部真实,绝无虚言,愿上帝保佑你?
Do you solemnly swear that the testimony you may give in the cause now pending before this court shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you god?
我做的事。
I do.
请问你叫什么名字?
What is your name, please?
劳伦斯巴伦坦。
Lawrence ballentine.
巴伦丁先生,你是本案的被告。
Mr. ballentine, you're the defendant in this case.
不是吗?=我。
Are you not? =I am.
被指控残忍♥杀害维娜·卡尔森。
Charged with the brutal murder of verna Carlson.
这是正确的。
That's right.
你是否愿意向陪审团如实描述,是什么原因导致你被指控?
Are you willing to describe to the jury, to describe truthfully, the events which led to the placement of that charge?
我当然是。
I certainly am.
请向陪审团发言。
To the jury, please.
我想我最好从六月的周六下午开始,在纽约。
I, uh, guess I better start with the Saturday afternoon, June, in New York.
那是在52街的一家地下小餐馆里。尼克的。
It was in one of those little basement restaurants oh 52nd street. Nick's.
专营餐前点心,夏多布里昂,crépe suzette。
Specializing in hors d'oeuvres, chateaubriand, crépe suzette.
,嗯…在黑暗角落的桌子上,情侣们可以一坐几个小时,没有任何问题。
And, uh... Tables in dark corners where couples can sit for hours, without any questions being asked.
人们已经离开了小镇。
People were already leaving town.
但在尼克家很酷。
But it was cool at Nick's.
和安静。
And quiet.
现在回想起来,我想那就是你所说的“暴风雨前的宁静”。
Now that I look back, I guess it was what you'd call, a "quiet before the storm.
-你好,贝尔小姐。-你好,尼克。
- Hello, miss bell. - Hello, Nick.
-那个人在哪儿?-他在这里。
- Where's that man? - He's here.
但我必须告诉你,贝尔小姐,和他在一起的是最漂亮的金发女郎。
But I must tell you, miss bell, with him at his table there's the most beautiful blonde.
金发女郎,嗯?我要把她的喉咙从耳朵到耳朵割开。
A blonde, eh? Oh, I'll cut her throat from ear to ear.
——嗯。-可怜的孩子。
- Hm. - Poor baby.
这么晚还能进来真是太好了。
Fine thing getting in at this hour of the night.
我猜你一直在布莱克家和孩子们闹腾。
I suppose you've been roistering with the boys at Blake's.
我一直在摆弄打字机。
I've been roistering with a typewriter.
全国妇女俱乐部会议。
National conference of women's ' clubs.
留我一个人喝热马提尼。
Leaving me to slave over a hot Martini.
你还以为你的杂♥志♥雇得起两个作家呢。
You'd think that magazine of yours could afford two writers.
汤姆·格拉德希尔认为女人应该写关于女人的故事。
Tom gladhill thinks women should write stories about women.
你知道吗,我觉得这是一个阴谋来破坏我们周六下午的时光。
You know what, I think it's a plot to break up our Saturday afternoons.
我强烈怀疑汤姆·格莱德希尔爱上你了。
I strongly suspect Tom gladhill's in love with you.
他都不知道我长什么样。
Doesn't even know what I look like.
他可能会把我描述成一个便携型的人,有一个标准的键盘和蓝黑色的带子。
He'd probably describe me as the portable type, having a standard keyboard and a blue-black ribbon.
- Th…很好,再来一次。——什么?
- Th... that's nice, do it again. - What?
尼克会怎么想?
What'll Nick think?
他可能在想我为什么要穿鞋。
He's probably wondering why I'm putting my shoes on.
想喝一杯吗?
Want a drink?
自然。=尼克?
Naturally. = Nick?
两份周六特餐。
Two Saturday specials.
你旁边的座位上有东西吗?
Anything on the seat beside you?
-你觉得她怎么样?-哦,我觉得她很漂亮。
- What do you think of her? - Oh, I think she's beautiful.
你应该这么做。毕竟她有60%是你的。
You ought to. Seeing as how she's 60% yours.
你觉得在她身上会舒服吗?
Think you'd be comfortable on her?
那我就得缩小一点了。
Well, I'd have to shrink a little.
船长,别开玩笑了。
Now, no wisecracks, skipper.
你的建议给了你丰厚的报酬。
You're being well paid for your advice.
每周六的午宴……11星期六。
Luncheon every Saturday for... Eleven Saturdays.
- 11 ?——嗯。
- Eleven? - Hmm.
天啊,好像就在几天前我们还在那个无聊的派对上聊过。
Golly, it seems like only a couple of nights ago we got to talking at that dull party.
那些人叫什么名字?
What was the name of those people?
康斯托克。它们很乏味。
Comstock. They were dull.
你觉得我们很无趣吗?
Do you think we're dull?
你听说过一个渔夫觉得另一个渔夫很无聊吗?
Did you ever hear of a fisherman finding another fisherman dull?
有烟吗?
Got a cigarette?
是的。我想是的。
Yeah. I think so.
我以为你会把那东西修好。
I thought you were gonna get that thing fixed.
这不值得。
It isn't worth it.
今天的日程安排是什么?
What's on the agenda for today?
引擎。
Engines.
汽油和柴油。
Gas versus diesel.
我有很多问题要问。
I've got a lot of questions to ask.
-天啊,我得走了。-哦,拉里…你不该来这么晚的。
- Oh, golly, I've gotta go. - Oh, Larry... Well, you shouldn't have been so late.
我真该把那台破打字机扔出窗外。
Oh, I should have thrown that darn typewriter out the window.
我告诉你我会怎么做,周一第一件事就是给你打电♥话♥。
I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll phone you first thing, Monday.
你会吗?-我拿到的第一个五分钱。
Would you? - With the first nickel I get my hands on.
我和尼克一起离开了船。
I left the boat with Nick.
柴油费和其他问题将在下星期六继续讨论。他沿着第五大道走去。
Diesels and other matters fo be continued in next Saturday's installment, and walked along fifth Avenue.
如果我被蒙上眼睛,我是不会错过的。
I couldn't have missed it if I'd been blindfolded.
它被放在珠宝店橱窗的中♥央♥。
It was sitting in the center of the jewelry store window.
在那里等我。又亮又亮。
Waiting there for me. Bright and shiny.
一个金烟盒。它很贵。
A gold cigarette case. It was expensive.
在一段时间内,它被证明是一次幸运的购买♥♥。
And for a little while, it turned out to be a lucky buy.
只是一段时间。
For a little while.
那天晚上回到家,我遇到了第一个,后来证明是一系列令人不快的意外。
Coming home that evening, I ran into the first of what turned out to be a series of unpleasant surprises.
我有客人。一些我最喜欢的人。
I had guests. Some of my favorite people.
格里塔的姑妈玛莎,她恨我。
Greta's aunt Martha, who hated me.
鲍曼太太,她让我很烦。
Mrs. bowman, who bored me.
还有她的丈夫,24届耶鲁大学的弓箭手,凭借对哈佛大学的一次达阵得分获得了百万美元的经纪业务。
And her husband, speed bowman, Yale '24, who'd parlayed a touchdown against Harvard into a million-dollar brokerage business.
这不是华尔街之狼吗!
Well, if it ain't the wolf of wall street!
进来吧,狼,在泉水边喝水。
Come in, wolf, and drink at the spring.
你好,亲爱的。你迟到了。
Hello, darling. You're late.
嗯。
Hmm.
鲜花、香槟。这是什么想法?
Flowers, champagne. What's the idea?
鲜花和香槟通常是什么意思?
What's generally the idea of flowers and champagne?
不是葬礼就是婚礼。
Either a funeral or a wedding.
为什么,玛莎阿姨,你是说他们俩这么多年都没有结婚吗?
Why, aunt Martha, you mean to tell me that these two haven't been married all these years?
电影精选列表