After what he told me that night in the store,
在那晚他在店里跟我说了那些话之后
uncle Harold was the last person in the world I thought would turn out to be a fink.
我认为哈罗德叔叔是这个世界上最不可能告密的人
I'll get it, ma!
我去开 妈
Natalie, this is my friend, Shirley Norton,
娜塔莉 这是我朋友雪莉·诺顿
and this, Shirley, is my niece, Natalie, the rock collector.
雪莉 我侄女娜塔莉 石头收藏家
Hello, Natalie.
你好 娜塔莉
Gee, I'm glad to meet you.
哇 见到你真高兴
Harold has been telling me so much about you.
哈罗德跟我说了很多你的事
- Hello. - Well, I guess we better go in.
- 你好 - 我想我们应该进去了
Sid, this is Shirley Norton. This is my brother, sid.
希德 这是雪莉·诺顿 这是我哥哥 希德
This is my sister-in-law, edna.
我嫂子 埃德娜
Hello, I'm happy to meet you.
你好 很高兴见到你
Anyway, when I left frisco, I never thought I was gonna see Shirley again,
其实 当我离开旧金山时 我从没想过能再见到雪莉
and what do you think happened?
你觉得会怎么样
I get a phone call from her, from New York.
我接到她从纽约打来的电♥话♥
She's got a job in Manhattan and, boy, was I glad to hear from her.
她在曼哈顿找到了一份工作 我很高兴收到她的音信
It was crazy, the whole thing, because I never expected I'd see Harold again either.
太疯狂了 因为我也没想到还能再见到哈罗德
But, then, two days after he left, my manager calls and says
但是 在他离开两天后 我的经理打来电♥话♥说
he's got three weeks for me at the ho-ho a-go-go in Manhattan.
他给了我三周的机会去在曼哈顿的一家酒吧
So I say, "sure, I'll take it 'cause I need the work."
所以我说 没问题我去 因为我需要这份工作 ”
- What kind of work do you do, Ms. Norton? - She's a dancer, she dances.
- 你是做什么工作的 诺顿女士 - 她是舞者 跳舞的
Well, Natalie here studied ballet for a whole year.
娜塔莉曾学了一年的芭蕾舞
Cost $200 just to teach her how to stand on her toes.
光是教她怎么踮着脚尖站就花了200美元
Isn't the three weeks up yet, miss Norton?
三个星期还没结束吗 诺顿小姐
I wish everyone would call me Shirley.
我希望大家都叫我雪莉
- I was held over. - Yeah, she can stay on the job
- 我被留下了 - 是的 她可以继续工作
as long as she wants to now, she's a very good dancer.
只要她想继续跳 她跳得很好
I thought of all the deserving women that should've been sitting there in Shirley's place next to Harold.
我想到了所有配得上坐在雪莉那位置的女人
You've got to see her dance someday.
你们一定抽空去看她跳舞
- Name the night. - I will.
- 你定一天 我会的
Someday soon you're gonna see her, all of you.
总有一天你们所有人都会看到她的
Oh, we'd love to. Oh, what kind of dancing do you do?
我们很乐意 你跳什么舞
Good dancing, she dances good,
得好 她跳得好
but you know what's even better than her dancing is her cooking.
不过你得知道比她跳舞更棒的是她的厨艺
She cooks almost as good as you do, edna.
她的厨艺和你差不多好 埃德娜
Oh, by the way, Natalie, before I forget, Shirley here wants to go to night school,
对了 娜塔莉 趁我还没忘 雪莉想去上夜校
and I thought maybe you could help her out, you know, with some information.
我想也许你可以帮她 比如 提供一些信息
Sure, Natalie will help.
当然 娜塔莉会帮忙的
Well, anyway, we decided,
不管怎样 我们决定
Shirley and me, to...
雪莉和我准备
To get married.
结婚
Married?
结婚
- Harold, it's about time! - Married! Oh!
- 哈罗德 是时候了 结婚啊 哦
I thought you'd say that!
我就知道你会这么说
- Congratulations! - Aren't you thrilled, Sidney?
恭喜你 - 你不高兴吗 西德尼
- When? What's the date? - We haven't decided yet, but it's gonna be soon.
什么时候 哪天 - 我们还没决定 但很快了
We'll see.
好期待
Mama, uh...
妈妈
Everybody, excuse me, please, I must have ate something wrong.
不好意思各位 我一定是吃错什么东西了
Oh, the horseradish, it must have been the horseradish.
辣根 一定是辣根弄的
Sometimes it doesn't agree with her.
有时不是很她合胃口
Natalie?
娜塔莉
Natalie.
娜塔莉
Natalie!
娜塔莉
Wait a minute.
等一下
- Natalie, I'm sorry. - For what?
- 娜塔莉 对不起 为什么对不起
For lying?
是骗我吗
For telling me stories about red bottles and green bottles?
用红瓶子和绿瓶子的故事来骗我
For giving me hope and then making me realize what an idiot I was for believing ya?
给我希望 然后再让我意识到我有多傻 竟然相信你
Natalie, all I can tell you is that I love this woman.
娜塔莉 我只能告诉你我爱这个女人
It's okay.
没关系
You love her, you're entitled.
你爱吧 你有权去爱她
So, instead of the green bottle, you chose the red bottle.
所以 你没有选绿瓶子 而是选了红瓶子
With a 40-inch bust.
有着40寸胸围的红瓶子
So what does that make you, uncle Harold?
那你是什么人 哈罗德叔叔
Well, whatever it makes me, it makes you wrong to judge her like that.
不管我怎么想 你这样评价她是不对的
It makes me wrong?
我就错了
Oh, boy.
天啊
Why did you have to tell me stories, uncle Harold?
你为什么要给我讲故事 哈罗德叔叔
Why did you have to give me hope that maybe there was a reason for being what I am?
为什么要给我希望 让我相信我的存在是有原因的
'Cause it's true, you have to be what you are,
因为这是事实 你必须勇于做你自己
just as I do, just as everybody does.
就像我一样 每个人都如此
If we want to be what we are, we have to do what we feel is right for ourselves.
如果我们想做自己 我们就必须做我们认为对自己好的事
I feel that Shirley is right for me now and I'm right for her.
我觉得雪莉现在很适合我 我也适合她
I'm sure you are, uncle Harold.
这个我相信 哈罗德叔叔
I'm sure you're both right for each other.
我相信你们俩是天生一对
Coming downstairs?
下去吗
Don't embarrass your parents.
不要让你父母感到尴尬
Say goodnight to Shirley.
跟雪莉道个别
I'll be down in a minute.
我马上就下来
I wouldn't embarrass them.
我不会让他们难堪的
Listen, they're nice people.
听着 他们都是好人
Goodnight, Princess.
晚安 公主
Bye.
再见
All I could think of was if the uncle harolds fink out on you,
我唯一能想到的就是如果哈罗德叔叔没追上来
what chance do the natalies of the world have?
娜塔莉的人生又会怎么样呢
I guess I spent almost every day the next few weeks at the beach,
我记得接下来的几周我几乎每天都在海滩上度过
thinking about what was gonna happen once I got to college,
想着上大学后会是什么样子
wondering when I was gonna start being some kind of person.
想知道我什么时候能成为那种人
Hester, do you ever feel left out?
赫斯特 你有被冷落过吗
Out of what?
被谁冷落
Out of the world?
被世界冷落
What world?
什么世界
You finally realize it's a conspiracy.
你终于意识到这是个阴谋
That our whole society is a conspiracy of beauty.
我们整个社会都是美丽下的阴谋
And I could either turn into a vegetable like hester or I could fight.
我要么变成海丝特那样木讷之人 要么就奋起反抗
I was gonna fight.
我要反抗
It's your uncle Harold.
是你叔叔哈罗德
He's dead.
他去世了
I didn't go to my uncle's funeral.
我没去我叔叔的葬礼
I told my parents I just didn't feel well enough to go.
我告诉我父母我身体不舒服不能去
They didn't say anything to force me because they thought I was just too upset.
他们没有说任何强迫我的话 因为他们认为我只是伤心过头了
I really didn't feel anything.
我真的心中毫无波澜
I mean, I know it's terrible to say that, and I felt guilty.
我知道这么说很不好 我也很内疚
But it was true, and I thought it would be even worse lo be standing there in the rain
但这是真的 我只是认为站在雨中周围每个人都在哭泣
with everyone crying and not feeling anything.
自己无任何感觉真的更糟
And then, I started college.
接着 我开始上大学了
Expelled for inciting a riot!
因煽动暴♥乱♥被开除
The no college generation!
你们真是不上大学的一代
Nobody goes to classes! They're all out picketing!
你们没人去上课 都上街示♥威♥了
Sidney, please, lower your voice.
西德尼 拜托 小声点
The neighbors will hear.
邻居们会听到的
Honest to god, papa, if you'd have been Joan of arc's father,
老天爷作证 爸爸 如果你是圣女贞德的父亲
then France would never have been saved.
那法国就永远没救了
You're not Joan of arc!
你又不是圣女贞德
You're Natalie of Brooklyn!
你是布鲁克林的娜塔莉
As the weeks went by, it seemed harder and harder to find an interesting rock.
几个星期过去了 找到有趣的石头似乎也越来越难
The hardest thing was to go home and face mama and papa
最艰难的事情还是回家面对爸爸妈妈
and tell them I hadn't found an interesting job or met an interesting boy.
告诉他们我没有找到一份感兴趣的工作 也没有遇到一个感兴趣男孩
I know the boy part worried them more than the job.
我知道他们更关心找男孩胜于找工作
Natalie, darling, do you remember your second cousin, Sarah?
娜塔莉 亲爱的 还记得你的二姑莎拉吗
Well, she has a cousin, dora, who has a son, Morris.
她有个表妹 朵拉 她有个儿子 莫里斯
They're very nice people, your parents.
你父母都是很好的人
I mean, it's nice for your parents to make a boy feel welcome like that.
我是说 你父母对男孩真是非常有亲切感
I'm sure your parents are very nice, too, Morris.
你的父母也很好 莫里斯
There's only my mother, but yes, she's a very nice person.
我只有妈妈 不过 她确实是个很好的人
Well, Natalie, where would you like to go?
娜塔莉 你想去哪里
How about the ho-ho a-go-go?
去“呵呵酒吧”怎么样
- What's that? - I don't know, let's find out.
那是什么 - 我不知道 去看看呗
It was over a year since my uncle Harold died.
我叔叔哈罗德去世已经一年多了
电影精选列表