我们并非都是清教♥徒♥的后裔
We're not all descended from the Puritans.
不是吗 -还有一个殖民地
No? -There was another colony
距离普利茅斯三十英里 地图上没有标记 快乐山
30 miles from Plymouth, it's not on the maps today. Merry Mount.
好吧 你在书中提到
All right, you mentioned in your book...
殖民地里做什么都行
The colony where anything goes went.
不禁酒 -酗酒 淫乱
There was booze. -There was booze, there was fornication,
玩音乐 甚至
there was music. They even...
为所欲为
You name it, you name it.
他们甚至每个月戴着面具围着
They even danced round the maypole once a month
五月柱跳舞 崇尚天道
wearing masks, worshipping God knows what,
白人和印第安人一样 得过且过
whites and Indians together, all going for broke.
谁对这一切负责
Who was responsible for all of this?
那人叫做托马斯·默顿
A character by the name of Thomas Morton.
清教♥徒♥中的休·海夫纳
Ah, the Hugh Hefner of the Puritans.
可以这样说 没错
You could say that, yeah.
我给你们读一段清教♥徒♥对默顿追随者的看法
Erm, I'm gonna read you a quote of what the Puritans thought of Morton's followers.
“放荡的酒鬼和无神论者”
"Debauched bacchanalians and atheists
“陷入到荒淫无度 过着堕落的生活”
"falling into great licentiousness and leading degenerate lives."
听到这话 我收拾起行囊 离开牛津 直奔美国
When I heard that, I packed my bags, I left Oxford, I came straight to America,
来到荒淫无度的美国
America the licentious.
那些人后来怎么样了 -清教♥徒♥把他们关了
So what happened to all of those people? -Well, the Puritans shut them down.
他们派来迈尔斯·斯坦迪什 率领民兵
They sent in Myles Standish, leading the militia, he chopped down the maypole,
砍倒了五月柱 砍倒了彩带和彩旗
cut down those coloured ribbons, banners, everything,
一切都完了 -我们变成了一个
party was over. -And we became a nation
古板的清教♥徒♥国家
of straight-laced Puritans?
嗯 -这难道不是你的观点
Well... -Isn't that your point, though?
清教♥徒♥赢了 他们消灭了所有与性有关的东西
The Puritans won, they stamped out all things sexual...
你会如何描述 -性享乐 幸福
How would you say? -Sexual happiness. Happiness.
完全正确 直到二十世纪六十年代
Exactly. Until the 1960s.
直到二十世纪六十年代 再次在各地爆发
Until the 1960s when it all exploded again all over the place.
对 大家都围着五月柱跳舞
Right. Everyone was dancing around the maypole,
然后
then...
要做♥爱♥ 不要战争
Make love not war.
如果你还记得 就在几十年前
If you remember, only a decade earlier,
在五十年代如果你想做♥爱♥
if you wanted to have sex, if you wanted to make love in the 1950s,
你必须乞求 必须偷偷摸摸
you had to beg for it, you had to cop a feel...
或者结婚
Or get married.
就像我在二十世纪六十年代那样
As I did in the 1960s.
有什么遗憾
Any regrets?
很多 但那是我们的隐秘
Plenty. Erm, but that's our secret.
别告诉别人
Don't tell anybody!
这是你我之间的秘密
That's just between you and me.
好像贝蒂·戴维斯说过 “老年不适合胆小者”
I think it was Bette Davis who said, "Old age is not for cissies."
但托尔斯泰曾说过 “人的一生中最大的惊喜”
But it was Tolstoy who said, "The biggest surprise in a man's life
“就是步入老年”
"is old age."
老年悄悄来临
Old age sneaks up on you,
接下来你会问自己 我问自己
and the next thing you know, you're asking yourself, I'm asking myself,
“为什么老年人不能表现出他的真实年龄”
"Why can't an old man act his real age?
“我怎么可能还沉浸”
"How is it possible for me to still be involved
“在人类喜剧的肉♥欲♥中”
"in the carnal aspects of the human comedy?"
因为 在我的脑海里
Because, in my head,
什么都没有改变
nothing has changed.
她叫康斯薇拉·卡斯蒂洛
Her name was Consuela Castillo,
是我的学生
and she was my student.
这门课叫做实用批评
This course is called practical criticism. So...
上课了
let's go.
我们来讨论这个大问题
Right to the big question, shall we?
《战争与和平》是否会因为我们熟知而变成另一本不同的书
Does War And Peace become a different book because we read it?
是的 当然会 但是为什么
Well, yes, of course. But why?
因为我们给这本书带了些东西
Because we bring something to the book.
我们自己的东西
We bring ourselves.
而且 十年后你再读这本书
What's more, you read the book again in ten years,
会因为你的改变而再次改变
it'll change again because you've changed.
美在旁观者的眼中
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
我一直对女性美很敏感
I've always been vulnerable to female beauty.
卡斯蒂洛小姐则不同 姿态很完美
Miss Castillo was different. Her posture was perfect
穿着就像著名律师事务所的年轻同事
and she dress like a young associate of a prestigious law firm.
世故老练 与众不同
There was a sophistication that set her apart.
她知道自己很漂亮
She knows she's beautiful
但不知道该如何处理自己的美貌
but she's not yet sure what to do with her beauty.
不 不要记笔记 老实说 没有必要
At... No, don't take notes, because honestly, it's not worth it.
真的 别想了
Really, don't... don't give it a thought.
艺术作品会让你想起你现在是谁
So, a work of art reminds you of who you are now.
自从她们把性骚扰热♥线♥电♥话♥贴在我办公室楼下的走廊后
Since they posted the sexual harassment hotline number down the hall from my office
我就再也没有私下联♥系♥过我的学生
I never make private contact with any of my students.
直到她们结束这门课
Until they've received their grades.
在那之后 我为全班举办鸡尾酒会
After which, I always throw a cocktail party for the class,
而且非常成功
and it's always a success.
想喝点什么
Want something to drink?
科佩什教授 我们昨晚在电视上看到你了
Professor Kepesh, uh, we saw you on TV last night.
你真棒 -噢 谢谢
You were great. -Oh, thank you.
查理·罗斯也很不错 对吧
Charlie Rose was pretty good too, wasn't he?
是的 我猜
Well... yes, I guess!
不 真的很棒 -你真好 祝你晚上愉快
No, it was really... great. -You're very kind. Have a lovely evening.
谢谢
Thank you.
这是一种宏观视野
It's the colossus of perspective.
关键是谁在观察 对吧 科佩什教授
It depends on who's observing, right, Professor Kepesh?
西方人认为伊♥斯♥兰♥完整主义是落后的和危险的
Westerners see Islamic integralists as primitive and dangerous
而伊♥斯♥兰♥完整主义认为美国人是堕落的和腐♥败♥的
while the Islamic integralists see Americans as depraved and corrupt.
十字军东征之后 什么都没有改变
Nothing's changed since the Crusades.
我们需要一个文明联盟
We need an alliance of civilisations.
卡斯蒂洛小姐
Miss Castillo.
嗨 教授
Hi, Professor.
这是卡夫卡的亲笔信 -对
Is this a real letter from Kafka? -Yes.
这是他写给米莲娜的信的原件 别人送的礼物
It's one of the original letters he wrote to Milena. It was a gift from someone.
亲近你的人
Someone close to you.
和我很亲近的人 卡斯蒂洛小姐
Someone who was close to me, Miss Castillo.
叫我康斯薇拉 不是在课堂 别那么正规
Consuela. We are not in class, we don't need to be so formal.
康斯薇拉
Consuela.
你会弹钢琴 -是的
Do you play the piano? -Yep.
能不能弹一曲 -人太多了 弹不好
Would you play for us? -Too many people. I'd freeze.
你身上有种气质让人觉得你很拘谨
You know there's something about you that invites a kind of formality.
你是什么意思
What do you mean?
你有一种优雅的朴素
You have a kind of elegant austerity.
简朴 -差不多吧
Austerity? -Something like that.
我想这是我父亲遗传给我的
Well, I guess I got that from my father.
他严肃而高傲
He is austere, and proud.
典型古巴风格 -他是古巴人
Very Cuban. -He's Cuban?
我们全家都是古巴人 我来的时候十一岁
My whole family is Cuban. I was eleven years old when I came.
你高中毕业就直接上大学了
Did you go straight to college from high school?
不 我在一家律师事务所做法律秘书
No. I was a legal secretary in a law firm.
是吗 -我努力过 但我不喜欢
You were? -I tried it but I didn't like it.
我父母希望我能上大学 所以
And my parents always hoped I would go to college, so...
我经过努力考上了大学
I made up my mind and here I am.
我给你看些东西
May I show you something?
就这个 -戈雅
Here we are. -Goya.
这画叫什么 -《着衣的玛哈》
What's this one called? -La Maja Vestida.
还有呢
And?
还有 -她和你很像
And? -She resembles you.
你很像她
You resemble her.
真的
Really?
我想是的
I think so.
你觉得怎么样 -我不知道
What do you think? -I don't know.
也许眼睛像
The eyes, maybe.
为什么要谈论卡夫卡 戈雅和她的古巴家庭
Why all this talk about Kafka, Goya, and her Cuban family?
别误会 她家是古巴人 她喜欢我的课 这很好
Don't get me wrong, it's great that her family's Cuban and she enjoys my class
但我继续唠叨 主要是因为我想上她
but I go on yakking away mainly because I want to fuck her.
我还能说什么 -真心话
What can I say? -The truth.
房♥间里满是耳朵
That the room is full of spies?
我非常喜欢歌♥剧 我爷爷带我去看歌♥剧
I... I do love opera, my grandfather takes me to the opera,