to the widely circulated suspicions of immoral conduct
当晚我和她的
that have been leveled at
不道德行为的怀疑
my behavior and hers regarding that evening.
毫无疑问 不是真♥相♥
I know nothing in Mary Jo's conduct
我对玛丽·乔在那次或其它场合
on that or any other occasion,
的表现一无所知
and the same is true for the other girls at that party,
对那场派对的其他女孩也是如此
that would lend any substance to such ugly speculation
那将为对她们人品的丑陋猜测
about their character.
提供实质内容
Nor was I driving under the influence of liquor.
我也并未在酒精影响下开车
We should get back.
我们应该回去了
Little over a mile away,
一英里以外
the car that I was driving on an unlit road
我在无灯的道路上驾驶的车
went off a narrow bridge which had no guardrails
从建在路左边的
and was built on a left angle to the road.
没有护栏的狭窄的桥上掉下去
The car overturned in a deep pond
车翻在深水池里
and immediately filled with water.
很快就渗满了水
I remember thinking, as the cold water rushed in around my head,
当冰冷的水淹没我的头 我记得我在想
that I was for certain drowning.
我肯定要溺水而亡了
But somehow I struggled to surface alive.
但我还是设法挣扎着逃到水面
Made immediate and repeated efforts to save Mary Jo...
并立马几次三番试图去救玛丽·乔
...succeeded only in increasing my state of utter exhaustion.
结果只让我精疲力尽
My conduct during the next several hours
在接下来的几个小时里我的行为
makes no sense to me at all.
对我来说没有任何意义
My doctors informed me that I
我的医生告诉我
suffered a cerebral concussion as well as shock.
遭受脑震荡和休克
I walked back to the cottage where the party was being held
我走回♥派♥对举办的房♥子
and requested the help of two friends,
并寻求两位朋友的帮助
my cousin Joseph Gargan and Paul Markham.
我的堂兄约瑟夫·加根和保罗·马卡姆
Their strenuous efforts also proved futile.
他们的艰辛努力最后也是徒劳
I had them take me to the ferry crossing.
我让他们带我去渡口
This was some time after midnight.
已经是午夜之后了
The ferry having shut down for the night,
渡轮在夜晚已经关闭
I suddenly jumped into the water
我突然跳进水里
and impulsively swam across,
冲动地想要游过去
nearly drowning once again in the effort.
几乎再次徒劳挣扎而淹死
I regard as indefensible
我认为我没有即时向
the fact that I did not
警♥察♥报告这次事故
report the accident to the police immediately.
是不可原谅的
All kinds of scrambled thoughts which I cannot recall,
所有我记不清楚的碎片想法
some of them confused, some of them irrational,
有些让我疑惑 有些并不理智
went through my mind.
都在我的脑海里翻滚
I was overcome by a jumble of emotions.
我被一堆混乱的情绪所打败
Grief, fear, doubt,
悲伤 恐惧 疑惑
exhaustion, panic, confusion.
疲惫 恐慌 混乱
I remember thinking, whether somehow
我记得我想 是否
some awful curse did actually hang over all the Kennedys.
一些可怕的诅咒真的笼罩在肯尼迪家族上
These events, the publicity,
这些事件 对外宣传
innuendo and whispers which have surrounded them,
都包围在我们家族之外影射私语
and my admission of guilt this morning,
我今早承认有罪
raises the question in my mind
也使我在脑海中提出问题
of whether my standing among the people of my state
是否我与公民站在一起
has been so impaired that I should resign my seat
是如此不堪而让我必须辞掉
in the United States Senate.
美♥利♥坚♥合众国参议员的职位
The stories of past courage cannot supply courage itself.
过去的勇气故事并不能带来真实的勇气
For this, each man must look into his own soul.
因此 每个人都应直面自己的灵魂
And so I ask you tonight, the people of Massachusetts,
所以 我恳请马萨诸塞州的人♥民♥ 今晚
to think this through with me.
和我一同思考
In facing this decision, I seek your advice and opinion.
面对这个决定 我征求你们的意见和建议
In making it, I seek your prayers.
做出如此决定时 我寻求你们的祈祷
For this is a decision
但这个决定
that I will finally have to make on my own.
我必须自己抉择
I pray that I can have the courage to make the right decision.
我祈祷我有勇气 做出正确选择
Whatever is decided,
无论决定如何
whatever the future holds for me,
无论未来怎样
I hope that I shall be able
我都希望自己能够
to put this most recent tragedy behind me.
放下近期的这件悲剧
Thank you and good night.
谢谢大家 晚安
What do you think about Senator Kennedy's accident
您如何看待肯尼迪议员的事件
and his statement last night? Did you see it on television?
和他昨晚的声明 您在电视上看了吗
Yes, I did see it. What did you think?
是的 我看了 您怎么想
Well, I was quite impressed by it.
呃 令我印象深刻
I think it's a tough break for the guy. The guy's a good guy.
我认为对他来说是艰难的选择 他是个好人
He tried to help the girl and he's all mixed up.
他试着去救那姑娘 但是他自己混乱了
He's always had tough breaks. The family and everything.
他一直都经历艰难 家族和很多事
I'm in favor of him.
我支持他
Well, I feel if it was anybody else, they would have hung him.
呃 我觉得换个人的话 已经被绞死了
I think he should quit. Quit his job right now.
我认为他应该辞职 现在就辞职
Hell, if a guy's drinking, those things can happen all the time.
该死 如果一个男人喝酒 这种事会经常发生
What makes you think he was drinking?
你为什么觉得他喝酒了
Well, you don't go to a party and no drinking.
你不会参加派对而不喝酒
I mean, there's more to
我的意思是
it than what we know, I believe, you know?
我们知道的很少 我觉得 你明白吗
But I actually would vote for him.
但我事实上会给他投票
Would you vote for him again? I certainly would. Definitely.
你会再次投给他吗 我肯定会的 一定
There's a lot of things missing that I didn't understand.
很多不清楚的事我不理解
But, like, as the story progressed, you know,
但是 就像 故事满满展开那样 你明白的
you hear different versions and you make your own opinions.
你听到各种不同版本 然后你有自己的想法
What was your final opinion?
那你的想法是什么
That he really was, you know...
他真的是 你知道的...
He didn't remember what he really did.
他不记得他做了什么
That he's telling the truth.
他说的是实话
Would you vote for him? Do you think he should be the president?
你会给他投票吗 你觉得他应该当选总统吗
Oh, I'm not qualified to say that. I really don't know.
哦 我没有资格说什么 我不知道
I think I would vote for him, though.
但我觉得会给他投票
Would you vote for him again?
你会再次投给他吗
Yes, I really would. Certainly.
是啊 我会的 一定的
I believe him. 100% behind him.
我相信他 百分百相信他
Ted has done a tremendous job.
泰德做得太好了
I hope he stays a United States senator.
我希望他一直是美国参议员
Would you vote for him? I certainly would.
你会投给他吗 肯定会
There is a new wave of change all around us.
我们周围有一片新浪潮
And if we set our compass true,
但如果我们跟随真正的指南针
we will reach our destination.
我们将会到达终点
The work begins anew.
工作重新开始
The hope rises again
希望重新起航
and the dream lives on.
梦想继续远行
Teddy! Teddy! Teddy!
泰迪 泰迪 泰迪
电影精选列表