他们全都刚从爱尔兰来,
全都文盲。
All of them fresh from Ireland,
all of them illiterate.
而且 And
当威士忌灌进父亲的肚子里时,
when the whiskey hit my father,
他会用他那双蓝眼睛盯着我,然后说:
he would pin me
“听我说,迈基小子,
with his blue eyes and say,
我们这一代人
“Listen to me, Mikey boy,
正在从老克罗顿大坝挖整条该死的隧♥道♥。
our generation
这样你们这些小伙子就能喝上从水龙头
里流出的凉水了。
is digging the whole bloody
tunnel from old Croton Dam.
别忘了这一点。”
So you lads can drink cool
water from a tap.
嗯,我从来没忘过。
And don’t you forget it.”
请别以为我不懂。
Well, I never did forget.
或者说我某种程度上并不
Please don’t think I
don’t understand.
欣赏你们所做的事情。
Or that I don’t on some level
但请知道,母亲,
admire what you’re doing.
你已经捅了马蜂窝。
But please know, Mother,
而我和教皇都无法
that you have swatted the
hornet’s nest.
保护你免受可能到来的灾难。
And neither I nor the Pope
早上好,默顿先生。
can protect you from
what may come.
弗朗西丝卡·卡布里尼。
Good morning, Mr. Merton.
我们开始吧?
Francesca Cabrini.
当然,一半的工人必须是意大利人。
Shall we begin?
意大利人?不不不,对不起,修女。
Of course half of the
workers must be Italian.
我们建了罗马,
我相信我们也能建一家医院。
Italian? No, no, no. Sorry, sister.
恐怕——
We built Rome, I am sure we
can build a hospital.
这是不可商量的。
I’m afraid-
所有工人——包括意大利人——
It is not negotiable.
都必须拿到相同的工资。
And all workers--
including Italians--
我们看看墨菲医生怎么说。
must get the same pay.
你得照我说的做,默顿先生。
We’ll see what Dr. Murphy has
to say about that.
从现在起,我和修女们就睡在这里。
You’ll have to do as I say, Mr. Merton.
不,不,萨尔维托雷……
And from now on, the sisters
and I sleep here.
我有个请求,卡洛威先生。
No, no Salvitore...
我要见市长。
I have a favor to ask, Mr. Calloway.
现在,詹金斯先生。
I will see the Mayor.
你永远见不到市长。
Now, Mr. Jenkins.
卡洛威先生想要一个头版新闻。
You will never see the Mayor.
而母亲是唯一挡着的人。
Mr. Calloway wants a
front page story.
所以我还是照她说的做吧。
And Mother is the only one
holding it back.
市长先生。
So I’d do as she says.
卡布里尼修女。
Mr. Mayor.
尊敬的法官。
Mother Cabrini.
卡洛威在哪儿?
Your Honor.
我想单独跟市长谈谈,詹金斯先生。
Where’s Calloway?
你知道我为什么来这里吗,市长先生?
I’d like to speak to
the Mayor alone, Mr. Jenkins.
一点也不。
Do you know why I am here, Mr.
Mayor?
你知道我工地上的火灾吗?
Not in the least.
Are you aware of the fire at my
construction site?
如果我随时掌握着这—里的每一场火灾—
If I was kept abreast of
every fire in this--
这是纵火案。
It was arson.
侦探组在三楼。
The Detective Unit is on
the third floor.
还有别的我能帮您的吗?
Is there anything else I
can help you with?
生命差点儿没了……
Lives were almost lost...
而且我愿意相信
And I am willing to believe
不管是谁干的 that whoever did this
都以为那儿没人。
thought the place was empty.
小心点,妈妈。
Careful, Mother.
我不是来指责的。
I am not here to accuse.
不过,卡洛威先生有自己的想法。
Mr. Calloway, however,
has his own ideas.
我觉得我正被一个修女威胁。
I believe I am being
threatened by a nun.
如果卡洛威先生——If Mr. Calloway-
卡洛威先生是个撒谎的混♥蛋♥!
Mr. Calloway is a lying
son of a bitch!
卡洛威先生是朋友。
Mr. Calloway is a friend.
谁会很高兴听到你支持了我
Who would be delighted to hear
that you have put your support
我的医院 behind my hospital
以及它的出色工作——
and the good work of-
哦,不,不,不!
Oh, no, no, no!
如果你以为你要大摇大摆地进来告诉我
——If you think you’re gonna march
in here and tell me-
我要最好的医院!
I want the best hospital!
为了你的人♥民♥ For your people
也为了我的!
and for mine!
哦,真恶心!
Oh, what rot!
你以为我们是懒惰、肮脏的动物,
You may think we are
lazy, dirty animals,
但总有一天,比你想的要早,
but someday, sooner
than you think,
这个办公室里会出现一个意大利人!
there will be an Italian
in this office!
而且他不会来打扫!
And he will not be cleaning it!
他会管理纽约。
He will be running New York.
因为这些“达戈斯”中的大多数
Because most of these ‘Dagos’
都已经成了美国人!
are already Americans!
你们快有选举了吧?
You have an election coming up,
do you not?
现在就支持我的工作,
Support my work now,
这样你们就能得到他们的忠诚。
and you will have their loyalty.
我保证。
That I promise.
如果我得不到你们的支持,
And if I cannot have your support,
我就退而求其次,
争取你们的保护。
I will settle for your protection.
卡洛威先生会很高兴听到这个,
Mr. Calloway will be very
happy to hear it,
五点街区的选民们也会。
as will the voters of Five Points.
我还以为你是新手呢。
And I thought you
were new at this.
是的,请。
Yes, please.
现在,我需要知道
这是所有火灾的终结,
Now, I need to know that this is
the end of all the fires,
任何种类的。
of any kind.
而且我愿意相信你的话,
And I am willing to take
your word for it,
因为你是个好人,
because you are a good man,
好人不会对修女撒谎。
and good men don’t lie to nuns.
可惜你是女人,妈妈。
It’s a shame that you’re
a woman, Mother.
你本来会是个好男人的。
You would have made an
excellent man.
哦不,市长先生。
Oh no, Mr. Mayor.
男人永远做不到我们做的事。
Men could never do what we do.
“希望的帝国”,作者:
西奥多·卡洛威。
“An Empire of Hope,” by
Theodore Calloway.
我亲爱的朋友,弗朗西斯
哈维尔·卡布里尼,
My dear friend, Frances
Xavier Cabrini,
只带着一个小行李箱抵达纽约
arrived in New York with nothing
but a small suitcase
还有几位修女——
and a few sisters--
后来成为她那个时代最伟大的企业家之一。
and went on to become one of the
great entrepreneurs of her time.
她的第一家医院——
Her first hospital--
建在争议的烟雾之中——
built amid the smoke of
controversy--
很快就被认为是整个纽约最好的医院之一,
was soon considered one of the
finest in all New York,
也是移♥民♥们引以为豪和获得治愈的源泉
and was a source of
pride and healing
以及所有国家移♥民♥的希望。
and hope for immigrants
of all nations.
卡布里尼和她的修女们继续创办了数百家
Cabrini and her sisters went
on to found hundreds