Want to join me?
抓紧点。
Keep that tight.
妈妈!
Mother!
我需要有人去加尔默罗山。
I need someone to go to Mt. Carmel.
现在!告诉他们我需要吗♥啡♥和氯仿!
Now! Tell them I need
morphine and chloroform!
还有医生!
And doctors!
康切塔。
Concetta.
我能付钱,请。
I can pay, please.
我们可不是供应店。
We are not a supply store.
但我们确实需要帮助!
But we need help!
抱歉,我们帮不上忙。
Sorry. We can’t help.
我们需要医生!拜托!
We need doctors! Please!
人们正在死去!
People are dying!
墨菲医生:
爆♥炸♥把莫雷利推到了崩溃边缘。
Dr Murphy: The explosion pushed
Morelli over the edge.
据我所知,
As far as I can tell,
医院已经破产了。
the hospital’s bankrupt.
他打算关闭医院,回意大利。
He plans to shut it down,
go back to Italy.
但他们需要那家医院。
But they need that hospital.
哪怕它只是个死的地方。
Even if it’s just a place to die.
这大概就是我来的理由。
That’s more or less why I’ve come.
我知道光是想想就疯狂……
I know it’s mad to even
think about it...
但如果真有人能成事……
but if anyone could
make a go of it...
那一定就是你。
it’d be you.
墨菲博士,我们靠一桶一桶地生活。
We live bucket-by-bucket, Dr. Murphy.
我根本不可能接手一家医院。
I couldn’t possibly take
on a hospital.
这就是残酷的真♥相♥。
Here’s the cold hard truth.
如果那是卡梅尔山医院,
If that had been Mt.
Carmel Hospital,
恩佐本该还活着。
Enzo would be alive.
那些人中的大多数也一样。
As would a good many of those men.
我的午餐还有一个钟头零五十三分钟才
开始,
My lunch begins in an hour and
fifty-three minutes,
这时间根本不够我列出所有理由,
not nearly enough time for me to
list all the reasons
这家银行绝不会贷款给任何长得、
闻起来、走路或说话像你的人。
this bank will never make a loan
to anyone who looks,
如果你问我的许可,
smells, walks, or talks like you.
我不会阻止你。
If you’re asking my permission,
如果你问我的建议,
I won’t stop you.
我觉得你简直是疯了。
If you’re asking my advice,
为什么还要考虑呢?
I think that you are barking mad.
因为不该死的人死了。
Why even consider it?
我们怎么能睡得着呢?
Because people died that
should not have.
我需要资金。
How can we sleep knowing that?
来自美国人的!
I need funding.
不。
From Americans!
我能帮你吗?
No.
我是来见迪萨尔沃先生的。
May I help you?
很抱歉,但迪萨尔沃先生
I am here to see signore DiSalvo.
不接受任何不请自来的客人。
I’m sorry but Mr. DiSalvo
我相信他不会介意!
does not accept any
uninvited guests.
对美国人来说,
伟大的威尔第、普契尼、
I’m sure he won’t mind!
米开朗基罗、达芬奇,
To Americans, the great Verdi, Puccini,
他们是一回事。
Michelangelo, DaVinci,
挖隧♥道♥的那些人,
they are one thing.
没医生就死去,
The men digging tunnels,
这些人完全是另一回事。
dying without a doctor,
可怜的人们,
these men are quite another.
来自西西里,
Poor men,
就像你们一样。
from Sicily,
我们必须向美国证明,
我们都是有尊严的人。
like you were.
事实上,我们的确如此。
We have to show America that we
are all people of dignity.
但我恐怕 As indeed we are.
我不会参与你的冒险。
But I’m afraid
现在,如果你能原谅我,
I will not participate in
your adventure.
我该去歌♥剧院了。
Now, if you’ll excuse me
这是关于帮助你的人♥民♥……
it’s time for me to go
to the Opera.
我从没迟到过剧院,
This is about helping
your people...
今天也不会是第一次。
I have never been late
to the theater
但你必须明白,这不是你能随便——
and today is not going
to be the first.
不,不,不。
But you must understand, this is
not an issue you can just-
你必须明白。
No, no, no.
我永远不会参与任何阴谋。
you must understand.
I will never
participate in any scheme
这涉及……教会。
that involves... the church.
送她出去。
Show her out.
晚上好,乔治。
Evening George.
墨菲医生。
- 是的。
Dr. Murphy.
- Yeah.
能让我占用一会儿吗?
May I have a moment?
没人会投资一家失败的医院,
No one is going to invest in
a failed hospital,
在一间老鼠横行、曾是妓院的大楼里。
in a rat-infested building that
was once a brothel.
但我们能创办这样一家医院,
一家很棒的医院。
But we could found a hospital
like this one, a great one.
我们该如何开始呢?
How would we begin?
我们需要一栋真正的大楼
We would need a real building
由一群有影响力的人组成的董事会,
with a board of directors
comprised of men of influence,
他们也是移♥民♥之子
who are also sons of immigrants
爱尔兰人、波兰人、犹太人。
Irish, Polish, Jewish.
你能把我介绍给这样的人吗?
Can you introduce me to such men?
我父亲从爱尔兰来到这里,干铁路活。
My father came here from
Ireland to work the rails.
廉价劳动力,
Cheap labor,
可随意处置……
disposable,...
就像那个泵站里的意大利人一样。
just like the Italians in
that pump station.
我想,任何乘船来到这里的人,
随便谁,
I figure anyone who came here on
a boat, anyone at all,
我都该帮一把。
I owe them a hand.
卡布里尼修女也是如此。
As does Mother Cabrini.
当我踏上岸时,
When I stepped off the boat,
先生们,没多久以前,
gentlemen, not so long ago,
我不得不学一些字典里没有的词。
I had to learn words that were
not in my dictionary.
达戈。豚鼠。
Dago. Guinea pig.
这些词带着如此轻蔑、如此仇恨,
Words said with such disdain,
such hate,
它们割伤得像刀子一样。
that they cut just like a knife.
当你们的父亲第一次来到这里
When your fathers first came here
他们难道不也得学些词吗?
did they not also have
to learn words
比如基克、米克、波拉克?
such as Kike, Mick, Polack?
甚至现在,
And even now,
在这个高档社区——
in this fine neighborhood--
你难道还不常听到
don’t you still hear
那些名字在背后悄悄传?
those names whispered
behind your back?
我请求你们把这些名字变成一所医院。
I ask you to take those names,
and turn them into a hospital.
我建议购买♥♥这块地
I propose purchasing this property
并翻新它,建成400张床位的医院,
and renovating it for 400 beds,
提供足够好的服务,吸引富人。
with services fine enough to
attract the wealthy.
我们在这里赚到的费用,
The fees we earn here,
用来满足那些一无所有的移♥民♥的需求。
we use to fund the needs
他们也将由最优秀的医生治疗,