剧集 | 光影与魔法(2022) | 导航列表
for what he thought he wanted to have happened in the battle for the Death Star.
(EXPLOSION)
所以我们把它们当做范本 来构建我们的场景
So we used that as a template for what we needed to build.
I approach it from the point of view of what would I get
我思考的角度是
如果把摄影机装在这艘飞船上 进入太空战斗 会拍到什么画面
if I bolted a camera onto this ship and went to space and did it?
我想让这一切以假乱真
I wanted to make this stuff indistinguishable from reality.
这需要运动控制器
And that required motion control.
运动控制器可以 记录摄影机的运动
Motion control is the ability to record the movement of the camera
向前向后 向左向右
through space, forward and backward, side to side,
上下旋转
rotation up and down.
机器会记录下这些动作
It makes a record of that movement,
这样你就能在需要时 不断重复相同的动作
and then you can repeat that move as many times as necessary.
几年前我曾用过 一个运动控制的原型机
I had worked with a prototype motion control system years before.
我在伯克利大学 参与过一个关于感知的实验
I had been at the University of Berkeley on a project about perception.
我们建了一个马林县的微缩模型
The idea was to build a miniature of a portion of Marin County
用摄影机拍下来
and photograph it with a camera
然后将观看微缩景观电影的 实验对象的反应
and then compare responses from people who viewed that film of the miniature
和坐车经过同样景观的 实验对象的反应进行比较
with people who were put in a car and driven through the same environment.
在伯克利 我认识了 阿尔瓦·米勒和杰瑞·杰夫里斯
At Berkeley, I met Al Miller and Jerry Jeffress,
他们制♥作♥了早期运动控制系统
and they had built a very early motion control system
让摄影机可以来回运动 并且可以重复这些运动
to move the camera around the miniature and to be able to repeat the moves.
我找他们共同为《星球大战》 设计了一套运动控制系统
I got together with them and we conceived the motion control systems for Star Wars,
因为大部分画面包含多重元素
because most of the images were built up of multiple elements.
我们要先拍一遍绘景背景
We'd do matts on one pass.
再拍一遍引擎 而摄影机必须精准地
We'd do engines on another pass and the camera had to be able
重复之前的运动轨迹
to duplicate the move exactly, precisely.
这样 我们后期把这些元素合在一起时
So that when we put those elements together
也就是进行光学洗印时
in the sandwich we call optical printing,
所有元素才能保持同步
all of the pieces were in sync with one another.
伯克利为这个想法 提供了完美的试验场
Berkeley had been a perfect proving ground for the idea,
但我们需要建造新设备
but we needed to build new equipment.
现在你懂了 我当时一定是疯了
Now, you've got to understand I had to be nuts
才会觉得制片方会同意
to think that the studio was going to agree to me going,
“我们重新搭建一整套设备”
"I'm going to build all of this stuff,
“然后再拿去给电影做特效”
"and then I'm going to make the visual effects for the movie."
但他们同意了
But they did.
我们从零开始设计摄影机
We designed cameras and constructed them from scratch
我们做了运动控制系统 以及所有配套系统
and then doing the motion control system with all that entails.
我们搭建了计算机
We had to build the computers.
我们必须构建所有必要的硬件
We had to build all of the hardware that was necessary
让摄影机可以依靠 数字控制来重复运动
to make the camera a numerically repeatable device.
Phew!
该死 手指好痛
Darn it, broke my finger.
(MAN CHUCKLES)
有两台运动控制摄影机
RICHARD: We had two motion control cameras.
一台是戴克斯特拉数控机
One was Dykstraflex.
“戴克斯特拉数控机”
这可能只是一个昵称
It was probably just a nickname.
约翰·戴克斯特拉
另一台是全景机
RICHARD: And then the other one is the Rama.
全景摄影机
那台全景摄影机 有一立方英尺大
Which was a Technorama camera that was like a cubic foot
重达68千克
and it weighed about 150 pounds.
我们得建立一套跟踪聚焦系统 配上暗盒容纳122米长的胶片
We had to build a follow focus system for it. 400-foot magazine.
让它尽量低矮 这台机子很棒
So it would be as low profile as could be. I mean, it was fantastic.
我们都像是挑战极限的摄影狂人
We were all extreme photography nerds, you know.
在不同领域做试验
We're experimenting in different areas.
我们使用一种过时的格式 即全景宽银幕格式
We were using a format that was obsolete, VistaVision format.
我们弄到了一些 拍摄这种格式的二手设备
We were able to acquire equipment that had been used to do VistaVision work,
并按我们的需求进行改造
and then had to modify it for our purposes.
派拉蒙拥有整套全景宽银幕设备
RICHARD: Paramount had all this VistaVision equipment
自电影《十诫》之后再也没用过
that hadn't been used since The Ten Commandments.
看啊 他那有力的手
Behold His mighty hand.
(PEOPLE CLAMORING)
(LAUGHING) We Frankensteined it back to life.
我们让它借尸还魂了
这种经典格式 简直是为星战量身定制
RICHARD: That was a classic, perfect format for Star Wars.
大尺寸底片复♥制♥的时候 画质也就不容易损耗了
JOHN: The larger negative allowed us to make duplicates without generational loss.
胶片装在机器顶上巨大的胶片盒里
And it was in this great big magazine on top
我们把摄影机吊起来
and we're going to undersling the camera.
直接挂在吊杆上
So the camera is going to be hanging from the boom.
摄影机镜头很低 可以贴着模型移♥动♥
Made the camera low profile so I could fly the camera right close to the models.
那时我想:“我真想学学这些”
Somewhere in there, I just thought, "You know, I want to learn this stuff.
“我第一次听说这样的技术”
"This is new technology I've heard about."
所以我特意联♥系♥了约翰 表明了我的想法
So I made a point of contacting John about it
并最终在片场找了一份工作
and ended up getting a job on the show.
约翰·戴克斯特拉是头儿 我很喜欢约翰 他块头很大
John Dykstra was the head honcho, and I like John a lot, big guy,
肯·拉尔斯顿 《星球大战》助理摄影师
很会管理团队 总能搞定一切
and he knew how to take over a room and get things done.
约翰·戴克斯特拉最厉害的是 所有人的工作他都会干
The brilliance of John Dykstra was that he could do everybody's job.
当他需要释放压力时 就会去模型室做模型
He would come into the model shop sometimes to blow off steam
或类似的东西 他会做模型
or something like that, and he's making models,
也会拍电影
or he was a filmmaker.
他会处理胶卷 什么都会
He could process film, all that kind of stuff.
那些人都这样 他们都是多面手
All those people, they were all jack of all trades.
我说不上来
I had no idea what to think.
约翰块头很大 开朗又有趣
John was always this big, outgoing guy and fun,
他喜欢骑摩托车 还是个赛车手
and a motorcycle guy and a car racer.
跟我完全是两种人
Which is as far from me as you could get.
理查德比较随和一些
And Richard was more of a kind of a laid back kind of guy,
热衷于科技和摄影机 这类精密东西
but into the technology and the cameras and precision,
我不太懂这些
and I didn't understand much of that.
理查德喜欢构建各种设备
JOHN: Richard loved to build equipment.
他为机械而生
That's what he lived for.
他喜欢思考机械方面的问题
He liked thinking about mechanical problems,
解决拍摄中的机器故障
solving mechanical problems for photography.
所以 这是他理想中的地方
So, it was an ideal place for him.
理查德·埃德伦德 摄影指导
All right. I'm ready.
好的 我准备好了
(CAMERA SHUTTER CLICKS)
我没有正经上过大学
RICHARD: I don't have a classical education.
我喜欢读书 做实验
I read a lot and I experimented a lot.
去过金属车间 印刷车间 电器车间 干过机械制图
Took metal shop, printing, electric shop, mechanical drawing.
我没干过汽修 但我会自己在家修车
I didn't take auto shop, but I was working on my car at home.
高中时 我对摄影产生了兴趣
In high school, I got interested in photography.
我那时为《洛杉矶观察家报》 做摄影师 像个年轻版的维加
I was the photographer for the LA Examiner already, and I was like a young Weegee.
最后的几次拍摄中 我拍摄了海军活动日
One of my last gigs was to photograph this "Day in the Navy" event
号♥召年轻人加入海军
to hype young kids to join the Navy.
我们参观了底层甲板 他们发射了五英寸炮
We got a tour below deck, they fired the five-inch guns.
一艘潜艇经过 发射了鱼雷
The submarine came by and fired a torpedo.
双联装点50机♥枪♥向它开火 他们问我们想吃什么样的鸡蛋
They were firing at it with twin .50s. They asked us how we wanted our eggs,
说真的 我着迷了
you know, I mean, it worked for me.
不到一周我就加入了海军
I enlisted in the Navy within a week.
我飞去日本的立川 开始学习日语
I flew to Tachikawa in Japan, started studying the language.
我认识了一个中国朋友
I had a Chinese buddy.
他是个书法大♥师♥ 教我如何用毛笔写字
The calligraphy expert taught me how to write with a brush,
我还去了照片冲印室
and I was in a photo lab.
We had every kind of photographic equipment known to man,
那里的摄影设备真是应有尽有
于是我开始拍电影
and so I started shooting movies and I thought,
“天啊 把这作为事业一定很棒”
"God, what a fascinating career this must be."
从海军退役后 我就开始尝试
After I got out of the Navy, I started bloodying my knuckles
在好莱坞谋求一份差事
on the doors of Hollywood.
乔·韦斯特海默拿到了我的简历
And Joe Westheimer somehow got ahold of my résumé,
我跟他干了四年 什么都干
and I was with Joe for four years and I was the crew.
操作员 助理 灯光 跑腿 保洁
I was the operator, the assistant, the grip gaffer, lab run, swept up.
什么都干 我给节目标题设计字体
I did everything. I did the hand lettering for title shows.
甚至给《星际迷航》 设计字体 沿用至今
I actually designed the Star Trek alphabet that they still use. That... You know.
《星际迷航》
(STAR TREK THEME MUSIC PLAYING)
他们一分钱也没多给我
I never got a nickel extra for that, but...
后来头发长长了 我就去做摇滚摄影师了
My hair started growing and then I became a rock 'n roll photographer.
(CAMERA SHUTTER CLICKS)
(CAMERA SHUTTER CLICKING)
我决定 “要搞一把吉他”
And I decided, "I'm going to get myself a guitar,"
因为我从小就弹尤克里里
because I played the ukulele since I was a kid
我上过吉他课和手风琴课
and I took guitar lessons and accordion lessons at one point.
于是我买♥♥了把吉他 配了Sam Ash牌扬声器
So I bought this guitar, I had a Sam Ash amplifier
嗡嗡声真的很响
that hummed like, it was really loud, and I thought...
我想我可以自己做一个便携扬声器
剧集 | 光影与魔法(2022) | 导航列表