剧集 | 光影与魔法(2022) | 导航列表
Okay, that's... Oh, oh, oh.
好的 就在那里
Okay, right there.
好 放手
All right, let it go.
MAN: Bang, bang.
-对 就是这样 -对吗
-Yeah, that's it. -All right.
《帝国反击战》的合成工作比较复杂
Well, Empire, that was like graduate level compositing.
换句话说 我们在《星球大战》里 做的合成算是入门水平
In other words, we had done undergraduate work on Star Wars.
做飞船在星空中飞行的绘景很简单
It's fairly easy to matte a rocket ship over star fields,
因为背景基本上就是黑色的
because it's mostly black anyway.
你很难看到绘景的边缘线
and, you know, you wouldn't see a matte line, frankly.
《星球大战》里有些镜头中 确实能看见绘景的线条
There's certain shots that did have a few matte lines in Star Wars.
绘景线条
但《帝国反击战》里不能出现绘景线条
But in Empire, there could not be any matte lines.
你现在有浅灰色的陆行艇
You had now landspeeders, which are light gray
在雪白的背景下飞翔
and they're flying against white snow background,
蓬松的白云 淡蓝色的天空
fluffy white clouds, pale blue sky, I mean,
镜头中不能出现绘景线条
it was like, you couldn't have a matte line
不然十岁的孩子都能看出来 “这个镜头很奇怪”
in the shot or the 10-year-olds say, "Hey, that looks funny."
十岁的孩子是最严厉的评论家
You know? I mean, the 10-year-old is one of our most severe critics.
如果没做好 看起来不对劲
Because if it doesn't work, if it doesn't look right,
他不认可这个镜头 你就失去了这个观众
he's not buying the shot and you're losing him for the scene.
所以我不得不做一台特殊的 光学印片机来解决这个问题
And so I had to build a special optical printer to deal with this problem.
光学印片机是台大型机器
RALSTON: An optical printer is this giant machine.
它使用的都是胶片 把许多张胶片
It's all using film, it's taking multiple pieces of film,
通过这个步骤 全部对准
and running through this process, all lined up
然后压到一起
and pushed together like this.
不是两张胶片
It's not two pieces.
而是很多张胶片 很多张遮罩
It's multiple pieces of film, multiple pieces of mattes
从而把图像整合在一起
that have been created to combine images
包括背景图像和前景图像
of a background plate and a foreground image.
各种各样的元素就像 三明治一样放进这个机器
All kinds of things that have to all be sandwiched into this machine
一帧接一帧地通过
and run through one single frame at a time.
被重新翻拍一遍
And it's being re-photographed.
布鲁斯·尼科尔森 光学部门
The camera is essentially photographing what goes through these projectors.
这台摄影机本质上是在拍摄 通过这些投影机的内容
一般来说 只有两台投影机
Normally, you would only have two projectors,
这个有四台投影机 所以我们可以一次运行更多的图像
and this one has four projectors, so we can run more images at one time.
这提供了更大的灵活性
That just gives us more flexibility and more capability
有能力一次合成很多画面
to composite many images at once.
这是个大型工程
EDLUND: It was really a big project.
我们利用远心光学 从镜头射出平行光线
Using telecentric optics, which created parallel rays coming out of the lens.
避免了几何畸变
So you don't have geometric distortion,
几何畸变会导致绘景线条
which is the harbinger of matte lines.
(DRAMATIC MUSIC PLAYING)
《帝国反击战》让我很有成就感
Empire was really gratifying
因为我们战胜了邪恶的绘景线条
because I felt that we had conquered the evil matte line.
吉姆·布鲁姆 助理制片人
What you see behind me here is our production boards.
我身后是我们的制♥作♥板
很多时候我们要合成 多达15到20个元素
And many times we're compositing as many as 15-20 elements together.
1代表原版底片 3代表爆♥炸♥
So here one would mean original negative, three would mean an explosion,
22代表着一种特定的飞行器
and 22 means a particular kind of speeder.
制♥作♥总板能告诉我们
The master board then gives us an indication
有多少镜头还没有被乔治审批
of how many shots have not been approved finally by George.
在这部电影中 我们在尝试 一些极其困难的事情
On this film, we're attempting things that are extremely difficult.
乔治·卢卡斯 1979年
I mean, much, much more difficult than anything we ever tried in the first film.
比我们第一部电影中的 任何东西都要困难得多
We're doing a lot more stop-motion, which is difficult.
我们在做更多的定格动画 这也很难
并且进行越来越多的实验
And we're experimenting more and more
尝试用视频和计算机技术推进电影艺术
with video and computer technology to try to advance the art of film,
让你能更容易地表达自己
and to make it easier to express yourself.
我在做《星球大战》时
When I was working on Star Wars, we did some digital shots.
我们拍了一些数字镜头
根据莱娅公主所提供的结构图 经过分♥析♥后显示
An analysis of the plans provided by Princess Leia
这座战斗太空站有一个弱点
has demonstrated a weakness in the battle station.
展示死星结构图 攻击位置
GEORGE: You know, the demonstration of the Death Star, where it has to go,
诸如此类的 我说 “这是未来的趋势”
and all that kind of stuff, I said, "This is the way of the future."
(BEEPING)
但当时说这话早了点
But it was a little bit early.
电影工业那时还停留在19世纪 18世纪
The film industry was in the 19th century, 18th century,
and you look at it and say, "Well, this is stupid. We have computers."
现在看会觉得 “好傻 我们有电脑”
JOHNSTON: And George was very much a proponent of that.
乔治非常支持数字化
一旦数字化成为可行的技术
And once digital became a viable thing,
他就会不遗余力地去推动
he was always, you know, pushing the envelope on that stuff.
我真正想要的是数字化剪辑
The thing I really wanted to do was digitize editing.
那是我的梦想
That was my big thing.
要是德维恩在就好了
If Dwayne were here.
我在剪辑室经常感到沮丧
Oh, it's frustrating in the editing room.
我觉得 “不应该是这样的”
I said, "This doesn't have to be this way.
"This is crazy."
“这太糟心了”
Oh...
我说 “我希望从头到尾 全部数字化”
And I said I want to be able to go from top to bottom all digital.
“你去招募合适的人选 组建计算机部”
See if you can find somebody to head up the computer division.
我父亲在爱达荷州的一个农场长大
My father grew up on a dirt farm in Idaho.
埃德·卡特穆尔
阿尔文·卡特穆尔
他们14个兄弟姐妹 只有9个长大成人
He was one of 14 children, only nine of whom lived to adulthood.
我父亲聪明又有上进心
My father was very smart and driven,
他获得教育学位 成为一名教师
and he got his degree in Education to be a teacher.
他把我们带到盐湖城 正值一个伟大的时期
He brought us out to Salt Lake City at a phenomenal period of time.
我在50年代长大
Growing up in the '50s,
当时的标志性人物
the iconic figures of that time, were Walt Disney and Albert Einstein.
埃德·卡特穆尔 1953年
是华特·迪士尼和阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
华特·迪士尼经常出现在电视上
All right, so Walt Disney's on television.
未来会不会出现 由超级智能控制的机器人?
Will there be mechanical robots controlled by superintelligent beings?
与此同时 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
CATMULL: And at the same time, Albert Einstein,
在物理学领域的相对论
and the ideas of relativity in all those areas of physics
也非常吸引人 两者都让我着迷
were very fascinating, so I held both of them,
但我实际上想成为一名动画师
but I actually wanted to be an animator.
当时的背景是冷战时期
The background for this is we've got the Cold War going on
政♥府♥有个很好的想法
and the government had this brilliant idea,
他们要资助
and that was, they were going to fund
美国各地的学生和大学
students and universities around the United States
发展计算机科学 该机构当时名为ARPA
for the development of computer science, and it was what was then called ARPA.
高级研究计划局 互联网就是ARPA的产物
Advanced Research Project Agency. In fact, the Internet came out of ARPA,
最初被称为阿帕网 而犹他大学…
but it was first called Arpanet, and the University of Utah
是该网络上最初的四个节点之一
was one of the first four nodes on this network.
于是我进入犹他大学 获得计算机科学学位
So I entered The University of Utah, and got a degree in computer science.
最早的计算机用于财会领域
The earliest computers were for financing, bookkeeping and so forth.
但我们可以想像计算机以后会有更多用途
But they can imagine at some point it's going to be bigger than that,
我们需要图片制♥作♥
we will need picture making.
In graduate school,
读硕士的时候
我上的第一堂课就是计算机图形学
the very first class I took was one in computer graphics.
我当时觉得 “我的天呐”
It was like... Gong! Holy cow!
可以用电脑做图片 可以做动画
You can make pictures here, we could do animation.
半色调动画
And all of a sudden, bam, everything took shape.
突然间 我的思路就打开了
埃德·卡特穆尔 弗雷德·帕克
So I thought, well, I'm going to try to animate my hand.
我想 把我的手做成动画试试
犹他大学
于是我用我的手翻了石膏模具 学到了一个教训
So I made a plaster mold of my hand, learning the hard way
我应该先把凡士林涂在手背上
that you should put Vaseline on the back of your hand first.
于是我坐在那里用剃刀割断毛发
So I'm sitting there with a razor trying to cut the hair
才把我的手从模具里拿出来
to get my hand out of the mold.
然后我把模型数字化
And then I digitized it.
从线框到多边形
I went from wire frame to polygonal,
然后我编写了软件 进行动画处理
and then I wrote the software in order to be able to animate it.
那时候 大家都感到大开眼界
At this time, it was mind-blowing for people.
我当时相信 我们还需要十年时间
I believed, at the time, that we were ten years away
才能制♥作♥动画电影
from being able to make an animated film.
因为有很多问题还没解决
You had this list of things that you had to solve.
一开始你不知道答案
And at the beginning, you don't know what the answers are,
你只知道存在这些问题
you just know, that's a problem.
我甚至不知道还有什么其他问题
And I didn't even know what all the problems were,
只知道眼下的问题都很棘手
but the ones immediately in front were really big.
谁会投资这项技术呢?
So who's going to support this?
突然有一天 我们接到消息 卢卡斯影业在找人
Out of the blue, we get contacted that Lucasfilm was looking for somebody
把计算机技术运用到电影工业
to bring technology into the film industry.
理查德·埃德伦德来了
剧集 | 光影与魔法(2022) | 导航列表