修建这么长的铁路是某人的疯狂梦想。
Building a railroad that long is somebody's crazy dream.
我们生活在一个美好的时代。
It's a wonderful age we live in.
从奥马哈到加利福尼亚的铁路?
A railroad from Omaha to California?
人们不妨想到飞行。
One might as well think of flying.
林肯总统对此表示支持。
President Lincoln is for it.
这是人类所能想到的最荒唐的事。
This is the most monumental folly ever conceived in the mind of man.
在我们这片广阔的土地上,谁想要这条从文明的边缘开始,在荒野中花费昂贵地漫游的铁路呢?
In all this broad land of ours who wants this railroad that will start at the outer edge of civilization and wander expensively through the wilderness?
我问你,除了一小群抓钱的金融家、自私自利的政客和狂热的工程师,还有谁?
Who, I ask you, except a small group of money-grabbing financiers, self-seeking politicians and fanatical engineers?
总统先生。总统先生。
Mr. President. Mr. President.
参议员会向来自加州的先生屈服吗?
Does the Senator yield to the gentleman from California?
我还没说完,总统先生。
I am not done, Mr. President.
我想读一段已故的丹尼尔·韦伯斯特关于这个问题的演讲。
I would like to read from a speech by the late Daniel Webster on this subject.
就在这一层。
Delivered from this very floor.
我们想要这片广袤,毫无价值的土地这片充满野蛮人和野兽的沙漠和无尽的山脉?
What do we want with this vast, worthless area this region of savages and wild beasts of deserts and endless mountain ranges?
3000英里荒凉的岩石海岸上没有港口,我们能指望做什么?
What can we ever hope to do with 3000 miles of cheerless rockbound coast and not a harbor on it?
船上没有港口吗?
Not a harbor on it?
订单!订单!
Order! Order!
旧金山湾有足够的空间容纳全世界的海军。
Why, there's room in the San Francisco Bay to float all the navies of the world.
他的话和韦伯斯特的相反。
His word against Webster's.
总统先生。总统先生。
Mr. President. Mr. President.
萨金特先生。
Mr. Sargent.
先生们。博学的参议员问道
Gentlemen. The learned Senator asks
谁想要这条铁路?
Who wants this railroad?
好吧,我来告诉你。
Well, I'll tell you.
这个国家,被四年的战争所削弱,想要它。
This nation, crippled by four years of war, wants it.
一条大动脉将西方的金银输送到东方空虚的宝库中。
A great artery through which may flow the gold and silver of the West into the empty treasuries of the East.
谷物和牲畜被送进饱受战争蹂躏的南方。
Grain and cattle into a war-torn South.
从两军中释放出来的成千上万的人想要用它来干活和挣工资。
And thousands of men released from both armies want it for the work and the wages it will bring.
全世界的商人需要一条通往东方的捷径,他们想要这条路。
And the merchants of the whole world who need a shorter route to the Orient, they want it.
先生们……
Gentlemen...
我提议你通过这个铁路法案它将把我们团结在一起,东方和西方永远团结在一起。
I move you the adoption of this railroad bill that shall bind us together, East and West forever as one people.
艾姆斯先生……
Mr. Ames...
我想在我卸任总统后的第一件事就是搭乘这条铁路。
I want to take a ride on this railroad the first thing after I retire from the presidency.
林肯先生有构想这条铁路的远见。
Mr. Lincoln had the vision to conceive this railroad.
你们一定有远见能帮我们筹到资金。
You gentlemen must have the vision to help us finance it.
坦率地说,艾姆斯先生,我唯一能看到的就是大量的美元在这些大草原上滚动。
Frankly, Mr. Ames, the only vision I can see is a lot of loose dollars rolling away over those prairies.
美好的一天,先生们。
Good day, gentlemen.
但这项工作的好处不只是利润。
But there's more than profit in the lap of this undertaking.
这条铁路是美国的未来。
This railroad is the future of the United States.
沿着这条铁路,新的城市将会崛起。
Along its rails, new cities will rise.
如果正在加利福尼亚东部建造的中太平洋铁路,可能会先到达奥格登,把你挡在盐湖城之外,难道不会有什么危险吗?
Is there not some danger that the Central Pacific which is building east across California, may reach Ogden first and keep you out of the Salt Lake Valley?
林肯总统明智地安排中太公♥司♥只建到加利福尼亚州的边界。
President Lincoln wisely arranged that the Central Pacific will build only to the California state line.
在这里,我们的足迹将与他们的足迹会合。
Here, where our tracks will join with theirs.
一般的躲避,嗯…作为联合太平洋公♥司♥的总工程师你确定一条1000多英里长的铁路真的能穿过这么一片荒野吗?
General Dodge, uh...as Chief Engineer of the Union Pacific are you quite sure that a railroad more than 1000 miles long can actually be built through such a wilderness?
是的。是的。我弟弟奥利弗和我将我们的财富押在道奇将军的话上,相信他能做到。
Yes. Yes. My brother Oliver and I are staking our fortune on General Dodge's word that it can be done.
你有多少财产,艾姆斯先生?
How much of your fortune, Mr. Ames?
我们要把联合太平洋铁路拖到工厂的最后一铲。
We'll back the Union Pacific down to the last shovel in our factory.
你的热情。
You're enthusiastic.
我向林肯先生保证过要坚持到底。
I promised Mr. Lincoln to see it through.
林肯先生死了。我对他的承诺没死。
Mr. Lincoln is dead. Well, my promise to him is not dead.
好极了,艾姆斯先生,好极了。
Splendid, Mr. Ames, splendid.
我开始在这些铁轨上看到金色的收获。
I'm beginning to see a golden harvest in these iron rails.
那么你和我们在一起?
Then you are with us?
我的手在上面。
My hand on it.
谢谢你!
Thank you.
谢谢你,巴罗斯先生。
Thank you, Mr. Barrows.
恰恰相反,我很感激你向我展示了联合太平洋公♥司♥可以赚到多少钱。美好的一天,先生们。
On the contrary, I am indebted to you for showing me the fortune there is to be made out of Union Pacific. Good day, gentlemen.
美好的一天,先生。
Good day, sir.
祝你好运,Dodge将军。
Good luck, General Dodge.
祝你好运。再见,所有。
Good luck. Goodbye, all.
再见,先生。
Goodbye, sir.
巴罗斯是谁?
Who is Barrows?
芝加哥最大的财主。
The biggest moneybag in Chicago.
他制♥造♥了它们,然后把它们弄出来。
He makes them and breaks them out there.
我从没想过他会加入你。
I never thought he'd join you.
你认为如果中太平洋公♥司♥在盐湖城的奥格登建造铁路会发生什么?
What do you think would happen if the Central Pacific should build all the way to Ogden in the Salt Lake Valley?
它会把联合太平洋公♥司♥炸得比风筝还高。
It would bust the Union Pacific higher than a kite.
高得多。
Much higher.
但他说,林肯已经安排中♥央♥车站停靠在加州边境。林肯死了,华盛顿的一些人不希望联合太平洋公♥司♥顺利。
But he said that Lincoln had arranged for the Central to stop at the California border. Lincoln is dead and there are those in Washington who do not wish the Union Pacific well.
两条线路不能都在奥格登有终点站吗?不,惠普尔。
Can't both lines have terminals in Ogden? No, Whipple.
你没抓住重点。
You miss the point.
联合太平洋公♥司♥有权只在与中♥央♥铁路交汇的地方修建铁路。好吗?
The Union Pacific has authority to build only to where it meets the Central. Well?
如果中♥央♥军队先经过奥格登,在瓦萨奇山脉的荒野里与联邦军队会合……
And if the Central should pass through Ogden first and meet the Union in the wilds of the Wasatch Mountains...
是的。完全正确。
Yes. Exactly.
联合铁路将有1000英里的铁轨和西部终点站的地鼠洞。
The Union would have 1000 miles of track and a gopher hole for its Western terminal.
灿烂的。
Splendid.
我们卖♥♥空联合公♥司♥的股票,买♥♥入中♥央♥公♥司♥的股票。
We'll sell Union stock short and buy Central.
我们会赚几百万的,巴罗斯先生。一个绝好的机会。
We'll make millions, Mr. Barrows. A golden opportunity.
精金。哦,是的。是的,确实。
Pure gold. Oh, yes. Yes, indeed.
但如果联合太平洋公♥司♥先到达奥格登呢?
But suppose the Union Pacific gets to Ogden first?
它不会,惠普尔。
It won't, Whipple.
我可以向你保证。
I can assure you.
它不会。
It won't.
他们叫我圣路易的玫瑰
# They call me the rose of St. Louis #
#这座河畔小镇的玫瑰#
# The rose of this river town #
老板,有位先生来见你。
Gentleman to see you, boss.
巴罗斯先生。
Mr. Barrows.
拿一瓶超干的香槟来。
Bring in a bottle of that extra-dry champagne.
是的,先生,非常干。
Yes sir, extra dry.
坐下。
Take a seat.
哦。玫瑰……
Oh. Rose...
他们叫我圣路易的玫瑰
# They call me the Rose of St. Louis ##
坐下来。
Sit down.
我们以前没见过您,……先生。
We ain't had the pleasure of seeing you here before, Mr...
有趣的装饰品。
Interesting decorations.
圣路易斯只有一家这样的。
Only one like it in St. Louis.
我猜是你从巴拿马带来的主意。
I suppose you brought the idea with you from Panama.
巴拿马吗?
Panama?
这本关于你自己的传记,由芝加哥最好的侦探事务所撰写。
This biography of yourself, written by the best detective agency in Chicago.
你在想什么,先生?
What's on your mind, mister?
我的搭档怎么样了?很好,先生。
How's that partner of mine doing? Very good, sir.
坎皮先生,在过去,你的行动一直是,可以这么说,不太重要。
Mr. Campeau,in the past, your operations have always been, shall we say of a minor nature.
你觉得你能管理全美最大的赌博机构吗?
Do you think you could manage the biggest gambling outfit in America?
你认为你能在荒郊野外应付1♥0♥0♥0♥0♥个工人,并且有足够的钱吗?
Do you think you could handle 10,000 workmen with plenty of money out in the wilderness?
给他们提供酒和魔鬼能酿造的刺♥激♥?
Supplying them with liquor and any excitement the devil can brew?
你觉得你能让他们一个月接着一个月喝醉,不满足吗?
Do you think you could keep them drunk and discontented, month after month?
继续。
Go on.
对不起,艾伦先生。
Excuse me, Mr. Allen.
坎皮先生很希望你能去另一个房♥间。
Mr. Campeau would admire to see you in the other room.
对不起,先生们。艾尔,艾尔·布雷特接手。
Excuse me, gentlemen. Al. Al Brett take over.
这是你的交易。
It's your deal.
这意味着在赛道向西移♥动♥的时候,把你的帐篷和它的许多岔路口留在赛道的尽头,并把他们会买♥♥到的所有麻烦都卖♥♥掉。你会得到保护。
It means keeping your tent with its many diversions at the end of the track as it moves West and selling the tracklayers all the trouble they'll buy. You'll be protected.
分歧是什么?一个也没有。你全部拿走。
What's the split? None. You take it all.
包括我的命令。
Including orders from me.
什么样的订单?
What kind of orders?
它们加起来是一样的。延迟。
They will all add up the same. Delay.
为了推迟联合太平洋铁路的建设我什么都可以说。
Anything,I might say everything to delay the building of the Union Pacific Railroad.
为什么不呢?
Why not?
花的时间越长,我赚的钱越多。
Longer it takes, the more money I make.
巴罗斯先生,这是我的搭档,迪克·艾伦。
Mr. Barrows, this is my partner, Dick Allen.
虽然是联邦军队的晚辈,但持枪从不迟到。
Late of the Union Army but never late with a gun.
他会很方便的,我向你保证。
He'll be very handy, I assure you.
我一直在和你的搭档做交易。一个大问题。
I've been making a deal with your partner. A big deal.
我们要离开圣路易斯了。
We're leaving St. Louis.
为了哪里,为了什么?西方,艾伦…
For where and for what? West, Mr. Allen...
为了刺♥激♥和利润。
for excitement and profit.
好吧。交易我。
All right. Deal me in.
我的饮料吗?
Where's my drink?
在这里。我不用它。
Here. I don't use it.
没有?
No?
电影精选列表