Your point of view has only one advantage:
It keeps everyone calm.
当现象被所谓的“科学”解释后,它就可以滚蛋了
Once a thing is explained away by"science",
it can be dismissed.
科学不是力图通过解释排挤事实
Science doesn't strive to explain things away.
科学只是抵达真♥相♥的一种方法!
Science is a method of arriving at the truth!
也许科学也有谬误,但也比新闻报道靠谱的多!
And while it may have its faults,
it's better than relying on newspaper accounts!
稳住,教授
Touch? Professor.
如果阿卡姆的报业在240年前就有了
If the Arkham Advertiser had been in
publication two hundred and forty years ago,
那时候女巫运动正在进行中
我们毫无疑问会读到这样的报道
when the witch trials were under way,
we would no doubt have read reports
说我们的镇子被巫术包围,与撒旦交易,是吧?
that our town was beset by
witchcraft and dealings with Satan, right?
从当今的阿卡姆报纸中,我就能确信这种假设
From what I've heard of Arkham,
I'm sure we would!
如果我们人人相信这些白纸黑字
And even if each and every one of us
took such newspaper accounts at face value,
相信我们人群中必有女巫存在,是否虚假反就成了事实了呢?
and believed there were witches among us,
would that have made it true?
对当时的人们来说,巫术就是真实存在的东西
It seemed to people in that time
and place that witchcraft was real.
但历史传说和坊间信仰
But a heritage of legend and
popular belief in a phenomenon
不足以证明其真实性,是吗,布拉德伯里先生?
isn't enough to make it true, is it, Mr. Bradbury?
文化传统和信仰,即使是迷信,也勾勒着我们对世界的看法
Cultural traditions and beliefs,
even superstitions, shape our view of the world.
但世界还是世界,如果我们超越传统思维
But the world is what the world is,
and if we are to progress beyond witch trials
明白文明需要规律而非迷信
and superstition we must cultivate the discipline
将事物与神话传说剥离开来
to separate objective fact from myth and fancy.
如今的科学,就是曾经的巫术
The science of today is the witchcraft of yesterday.
而如今的迷信,也正是未来的科学
Today's superstition is tomorrow's science.
告诉我,福特先生,你自己亲眼见过这些山林巨兽吗?
Tell me, Mr. Fort, have you seen
one of these hill creatures yourself?
个人而言,没有
Not personally, no.
这些巨兽的存在痕迹有没有证据?
Is there any material evidence of their existence?
有人拍照或发掘到吗?
Has one ever been photographed or recovered?
送到博物馆没有?有没有系统研究?
Sent to a museum? Studied scientifically?
科学家只是证明或推♥翻♥他们预先设想的东西
Scientists seek only to prove or disprove
something that they have conceived of in advance.
他们会观察,但从未观察过自己不想要的东西
They may look, but they never see
anything more than they want to see.
这话是从一个见过火星小绿人满地跑的人嘴里说出来的!
This from a man who sees little
green men from Mars everywhere he turns!
我不知道佛蒙特州这些东西是什么,教授
I don't know what these
things in Vermont are, Professor.
但是不像你,我不会假装知道那些虚假信息
But, unlike you, I don't
pretend to know what they're not.
我知道它们并非外太空来的会飞的螃蟹人!
I know they're not flying
crab-men from outer space!
先生们...你是怎么知道的?
Gentlemen...How do you know?
因为你“研究过”?你去过佛蒙特没有?
Because you've "investigated"?
Have you even been to Vermont?
事实上,没有
Well, actually, no.
那你怎么知道他们不是?
Then how can you claim to know what they're not?
唔,我...
Well, I...
他抓住你的软肋了,教授!
He's got you there, professor!
不,不,我是说,他们不是...
No, no, I mean, they're not...
教授根本没去过那里,这就是所谓的“科学研究”!
The professor hasn't even been there.
So much for "scientific investigation"!
听着,我没必要亲眼所见才能推定..
Look, I don't have to see
them to know they're not real...
我陈述完毕了,布拉德伯里,这些都是魔法!
I rest my case, Mr. Bradbury. It's all witchcraft!
果然是沃德所预见的结果
It was just the type of disaster Ward had foreseen.
更惨的是,还要出席福特在“学院俱乐部”的招待会
Worse still, it was to be followed by a
reception with Fort at the Faculty Club.
打扰一下,教授
Excuse me, professor?
嗯?
Yes?
嘿,我在想能否借用您的一些时间
Hi, I was wondering if I might have a moment of your time.
我很乐意,但...
I'd be glad to, but just now...
我叫乔治·埃科利,我父亲亨利·埃科利跟您是笔友
My name is George Akeley. My father,
Henry Akeley, he's been writing to you.
是的,我们交流过几封信
Yes, yes, I've exchanged
several letters with yourfather.
他是个非常聪明的人,佛蒙特州的来信中,他的信是最生动有趣的
He's a very bright fellow. His are some of
the most vivid letters I get from Vermont.
他送我来见您,私人会面,我..
He sent me here to see you. In person. I have...
我恐怕得参加晚会了,我想...
I'm afraid I have an engagement, I'm expected...
我老爸需要您的帮助!
My father needs your help!
是的,如他所说,你们农场周边到处都是那些怪兽
Yes, so he said. He said the hill
creatures are all around your farm.
是的,是的,那里的所有人,拜您所赐
Yes. They are. And now everyone in the region
都认为他脑子有病,因为您把信件登了报纸
thinks he's a lunatic thanks to
your letters to the newspapers.
那么,乔治,你♥爸♥爸是个明智而饱学的人
Well now, George, your father's
clearly a sensible and educated man
我对他抱有极大的尊敬
and I have tremendous respect for him,
但并不是说我要无条件相信所有的来信...
but that doesn't mean I believe
every letter that comes to my desk...
你只是不想去相信!
You mean you don't want to believe!
我想福特先生对您的评价是对的
I think Mr. Fort was right about you.
你瞧,我的工作是研究传说,不是相信传说
Look, it's my job to study old legends,
not to believe in them!
威尔马思,大家都在等...
Wilmarth, everyone's waiting...
有什么问题吗?
Is there a problem here?
没有,埃科利先生在这试图继续今晚的辩论
No. Mr. Akeley here was just
attempting to continue tonight's debate.
我稍后就到,沃德教授
I'll be right there, Professor Ward.
晚安
Good night.
我有照片
I have photos.
照片?
Photos?
我爸爸让我保证拿给您看,他还...
My father made me promise to
show them to you. He also...
快拿出来看看
Let's see them.
不,这儿不行
No, not here.
你随身带上了没有?
You have them with you now?
我们进去谈谈,跟我来
We should get inside. Come with us.
这是什么,死人水?
What is this, coffin varnish?
威尔马思呢?你不会觉得他偷偷溜走了吧?
Where's Wilmarth? You don't think he's
going to skip out on this blow, do you?
如果他够聪明的话
He will if he's smart.
他还没有那么逗比...
He wasn't that bad...
唔,我想我得回来,总之,我是今晚的东道主
Well, I suppose I should get back in there.
After all, I am the host of this soir.
啊,阿尔伯特!他在那里!
Ah, Albert! There he is!
阿尔伯特,回到这儿费了牛劲了
Albert, a good effort back there.
谢谢,洛维尔
Thank you, Lowell.
我想你得感谢这个,查理,你怎么样?
I suppose I have you to thank for this,
Charlie. How have you been?
我太吊了,下个月去秘鲁研究新遗址
I'm swell! Off to Peru next month,
surveying some new ruins.
我说,你该自己来的!
Say, you should come along!
噢,我不知道...
Oh, I don't know...
是的,是的!我们得开飞机载你了
Yes, yes! We need to get
you up in my aeroplane again.
我还没有摸清楚窍门,我的肩膀依然疼的要死
I didn't quite get the hang of it last time.
I think my shoulder's still sore.
胡说八道!诚然,降落时有些眩晕
Nonsense! Sure, your landing was a bit rocky
但一旦上了天空,你就没事了,没事了!
but once you were up in the
air you were fine, just fine!
话说回来,我可没见过有比你昨晚摔得还惨的人!
Besides, I don't know if a fellow
could crash any worse than you did tonight!
话说这位小兄弟是谁?
And who's our young friend?
这位是乔治·埃科利
Yes, this is George Akeley.
乔丹·洛维尔,天文学教授
Professor Jordan Lowell, astronomy.
他...来自佛蒙特州
He's... from Vermont.
寺伐?那儿野性十足啊
Really? Wild country up there.
埃科利先生有些东西,要分享给我们大家
Mr. Akeley here has something
to share with us. All of us.
你别说话
You don't say.
是什么?
What is it?
照片
Photographs.
什么照片...
Of the...
唔,我们来看看
Well, let's see them.
到书房♥里,福特也该来看看
In the study. Fort should see them too.
但愿他能脱迪恩·海耶斯的掌心
Good luck prying him away from Dean Hayes.
你不必担心,我会照顾他的,先生们...
Don't you worry about that.
I'll take care of him. Gentlemen...
埃科利先生,您请
Mr. Akeley, after you.
谢谢,陶尔,那人真让人无法忍♥受
Thank you, Tower. That man's insufferable.
电影精选列表