这根本不是公平的竞争
That's not a fair fight.
本与杰瑞 该走了 孩子?
Ben and Jerry, it's time to go, bud!
本?
Ben?
本
Ben. -
快点
Come on.
该上学了 我们走
School time. Let's go.
(人道技术中心)
-你今天怎么样? -我很紧张
How you doing today? - I'm... I'm nervous.
-你紧张吗? -是啊
Are ya? -Yeah.
我们都在当心这个时刻
We were all looking for the moment
当技术会超越人类力量和智慧
when technology would overwhelm human strengths and intelligence.
技术什么时候会超越人类 取代我们的工作 比人类更聪明?
When is it gonna cross the singularity, replace our jobs, be smarter than humans?
但有更早的时刻…
But there's this much earlier moment...
技术超越人类的弱点时
when technology exceeds and overwhelms human weaknesses.
这个超越的点就是上瘾
This point being crossed is at the root of addiction,
两极分化、激进化、激化愤怒
polarization, radicalization, outrage-ification,
激化虚荣 一切的根源
vanity-ification, the entire thing.
它在压制人类天性
This is overpowering human nature,
在挫伤人性
and this is checkmate on humanity.
很抱歉
I'm sorry.
我努力让人们明白
One of the ways I try to get people to understand
脸书这种地方的推送 有多错误的一种方式
just how wrong feeds from places like Facebook are
是让他们去想想维♥基♥百♥科♥
is to think about the Wikipedia.
(新标签页)
当你打开一个维♥基♥百♥科♥网页 你和别人看到的东西是一样的
When you go to a page, you're seeing the same thing as other people.
(维♥基♥百♥科♥ 自♥由♥的百科全书)
所以 这是网络上少有的 我们统一共享的东西
So, it's one of the few things online that we at least hold in coon.
现在 现象一下 维♥基♥百♥科♥说
Now, just imagine for a second that Wikipedia said,
我们要给每一个人不同的个性化定义
"We're gonna give each person a different customized definition,
有人给我们钱 让我们这样做”
and we're gonna be paid by people for that."
维♥基♥百♥科♥就会监视你 会计算
So, Wikipedia would be spying on you. Wikipedia would calculate,
“我要做什么 才能代表一些商业利益
"What's the thing I can do to get this person to change a little bit
让这个人产生一点改变?” 对吧?
on behalf of some coercial interest?" Right?
然后就会改变整个词条
And then it would change the entry.
你能想象吗?
Can you imagine that?
你应该能够想象得到
Well, you should be able to,
因为在脸书页面上 就是这样的
'cause that's exactly what's happening on Facebook.
你的YouTube推送 就是这样的
It's exactly what's happening in your YouTube feed.
当你登录谷歌♥ 输入“气候变化是…”
When you go to Google and type in "Climate change is,"
你会看到 根据你所居住的地区不同 会出现不同的结果
you're going to see different results depending on where you live.
(气候变化是)
在某些城市 你会看到自动完成…
In certain cities, you're gonna see it autocomplete
“气候变化是一场骗局”
with "climate change is a hoax."
在其他地方 你将会看到
In other cases, you're gonna see
“气候变化是对自然的破坏”
"climate change is causing the destruction of nature."
这个功能 提供的不都是气候变化的真♥相♥
And that's a function not of what the truth is about climate change,
而是你在哪里进行谷歌♥搜索
but about where you happen to be Googling from
以及谷歌♥对你个人兴趣的了解
and the particular things Google knows about your interests.
即便是两个非常亲近的朋友
Even two friends who are so close to each other,
他们两个有着完全相同的朋友圈子
who have almost the exact same set of friends,
他们会认为 “我们会看到脸书上的新推送
they think, you know, "I'm going to news feeds on Facebook.
会看到完全相同的更新”
I'll see the exact same set of updates."
但事实远非如此
But it's not like that at all.
他们会看到完全不同的世界
They see completely different worlds
因为这些是基于计算机的计算
because they're based on these computers calculating
对每一个人来说 怎样最完美
what's perfect for each of them.
(直播中)
想象这件事的一个方式是 这是27亿人的《楚门的世界》
The way to think about it is it's 2.7 billion Truman Shows.
每一个人都有自己的现实 自己的…
Each person has their own reality, with their own...
事实
facts.
你觉得楚门为什么到现在都 从来没有接近
Why do you think that, Truman has never come close
发现他所在世界的真实本质?
to discovering the true nature of his world until now?
我们接受了 呈现在我们面前的世界就是现实
We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented.
就是这么简单
It's as simple as that.
(直播中)
随着时间推移 你会有一种错觉 觉得每一个人都认同你
Over time, you have the false sense that everyone agrees with you,
因为给你推送的新闻中 每个人都和你极其相似
because everyone in your news feed sounds just like you.
一旦你达到了这种状态 你就很容易被♥操♥纵了
And that once you're in that state, it turns out you're easily manipulated,
和你被魔术师操纵 是同样的方式
the same way you would be manipulated by a magician.
魔术师给你看纸牌魔术 跟你说 “选一张牌 哪张都行”
A magician shows you a card trick and says, "Pick a card, any card."
你没有意识到的是 他们早就给你设好陷阱了
What you don't realize was that they've done a set-up,
于是你选的那张牌 是他们想让你选的
so you pick the card they want you to pick.
这就是脸书的工作原理 脸书坐在那里说
And that's how Facebook works. Facebook sits there and says,
“喂 选择你的朋友 选择你关注的联♥系♥人”
"Hey, you pick your friends. You pick the links that you follow."
根本是胡扯 它就跟魔术师一样
But that's all nonsense. It's just like the magician.
脸书负责给你进行新闻推送
Facebook is in charge of your news feed.
我们都不过是 在基于不同的一系列事实行事
We all simply are operating on a different set of facts.
当大范围发生时
When that happens at scale,
你就再也无法考虑甚至消化
you're no longer able to reckon with or even consume information
与你所创造的世界观相悖的信息了
that contradicts with that world view that you've created.
那就意味着 我们其实不是客观、
That means we aren't actually being objective,
有建设性的个体
constructive individuals.
睁大你的眼睛 别相信谎言!睁大…
Open up your eyes, don't believe the lies! Open up...
然后你扫了一眼另一边
And then you look over at the other side,
你开始想 “这些人怎么会如此愚蠢?”
and you start to think, "How can those people be so stupid?
他们也看到了我不停看到的这些信息
Look at all of this information that I'm constantly seeing.
他们怎么会看不到相同的信息?
How are they not seeing that same information?"
问题的答案是 “他们没有看到相同的信息”
And the answer is, "They're not seeing that same information."
睁大你的眼睛 别相信谎言!
Open up your eyes, don't believe the lies!
共和党人什么样?
What are Republicans like?
愚昧无知
People that don't have a clue.
民♥主♥党就是一个犯罪团伙 不是真正的政♥治♥党派
The Democrat Party is a crime syndicate, not a real political party.
皮尤研究中心一项全新的大型研究 对一万名美国成年人进行调查
A huge new Pew Research Center study of 10,000 American adults
发现我们比任何时候都要分♥裂♥
finds us more divided than ever,
个人和政♥治♥两极分化达到20年来最高
with personal and political polarization at a 20-year high.
有超过三分之一的共和党人说
You have more than a third of Republicans saying
民♥主♥党是对这个国家的威胁
the Democratic Party is a threat to the nation,
民♥主♥党超过四分之一的人 也这样说共和党
more than a quarter of Democrats saying the same thing about the Republicans.
我们讨论的很多问题
So many of the problems that we're discussing,
比如政♥治♥两极分化
like, around political polarization
在有线电视上大量存在
exist in spades on cable television.
媒体也有着同样的问题
The media has this exact same problem,
整体上来说 他们的商业模式
where their business model, by and large,
是把我们的关注出♥售♥给广♥告♥商
is that they're selling our attention to advertisers.
网络只是一个新的、更有效率的 实现方式罢了
And the Internet is just a new, even more efficient way to do that.
我曾在YouTube的工作 是研究YouTube推荐
At YouTube, I was working on YouTube recoendations.
让我担心的是 我研究的一个算法
It worries me that an algorithm that I worked on
增加了社会中的两极分化
is actually increasing polarization in society.
但从观看时间来看
But from the point of view of watch time,
这种两极分化 在让人们持续在线观看上 极其有效
this polarization is extremely efficient at keeping people online.
这些老师教这些东西的唯一原因
The only reason these teachers are teaching this stuff
是有人给他们钱 让他们教
is 'cause they're getting paid to.
-太扯了 -喂 本杰
It's absolutely absurd. -Hey, Benji.
今天没有足球训练吗?
No soccer practice today?
有 我只想看看今天的新闻
there is. I'm just catching up on some news stuff.
你去研究一下 极端中心说的任何话…
Do research. Anything that sways from the Extreme Center
都不会把你看的这个东西称作新闻
Wouldn't exactly call the stuff that you're watching news.
你总是说一切都那么混乱 确实是
You're always talking about how messed up everything is. So are they.
但那东西只是政♥治♥鼓吹
But that stuff is just propaganda.
没有一个是真的 全都是让你觉得合理
Neither is true. It's all about what makes sense.
本 我很严肃 这些东西对你有害
Ben, I'm serious. That stuff is bad for you.
你应该去足球训练
You should go to soccer practice. -
我分享这个东西 是因为我在意
I share this stuff because I care.
我在意你被误导 这是不对的 好吗?
I care that you are being misled, and it's not okay. All right?
人们认为算法的设计
People think the algorithm is designed
是给他们真正想要的 但其实不然
to give them what they really want, only it's not.
算法其实是在试图 找到几个非常强大的兔子洞
The algorithm is actually trying to find a few rabbit holes that are very powerful,
试图找到哪一个兔子洞 最贴近你的兴趣
trying to find which rabbit hole is the closest to your interest.
然后 如果你开始观看其中一个视频
And then if you start watching one of those videos,
它就会不停继续推荐
then it will recoend it over and over again.
这种情况 并不是有人刻意为之
It's not like anybody wants this to happen.
只是推荐系统一直在做而已
It's just that this is what the recoendation system is doing.
以至于著名篮球运动员凯里·欧文
So much so that Kyrie Irving, the famous basketball player,
电影精选列表