where we're just, you know, roping people into the matrix,
我们从他们的行为中获取金钱和数据
and we're just harvesting all this money and...
用他们的行为牟利
and data from all their activity to profit from.
我们甚至都不知道 发生了这些
And we're not even aware that it's happening.
我们想在心理学上弄清楚 怎样以最快的速度操纵你
So, we want to psychologically figure out how to manipulate you as fast as possible
然后返回给你让你产生兴奋的事物
and then give you back that dopamine hit.
我们在脸书做得非常出色
We did that brilliantly at Facebook.
Instagram也这样做了 WhatsApp也这样做了
Instagram has done it. WhatsApp has done it.
阅后即焚图片分享也这样做了 推特也这样做了
You know, Snapchat has done it. Twitter has done it.
这种东西正是
I mean, it's exactly the kind of thing
我这种黑客能想出来的
that a... that a hacker like myself would come up with
因为你在利用人类心理中的脆弱挣钱
because you're exploiting a vulnerability in... in human psychology.
(希恩·帕克 脸书前总经理)
我只是想 我们这些发明者、创造者…
you know, the inventors, creators...
有我 有马克 有…
you know, and it's me, it's Mark, it's the...
Instagram的凯文·斯特罗姆 所有这些人…
you know, Kevin Systrom at Instagram... It's all of these people...
意识里非常清楚 但我们依然利用了
um, understood this consciously, and we did it anyway.
自行车问世的时候 没有人不满
No one got upset when bicycles showed up.
对吧?所有人都开始用自行车出行
Right? Like, if everyone's starting to go around on bicycles,
没有人说 “天啊 我们刚刚毁掉了社会
no one said, " my God, we've just ruined society.
因为自行车能影响人
Like, bicycles are affecting people.
拉远了他们和孩子间的距离
They're pulling people away from their kids.
他们在毁掉民♥主♥的结构 人们无法判断真假了”
They're ruining the fabric of democracy. People can't tell what's true."
对于自行车 我们从来没有说过这种话
Like, we never said any of that stuff about a bicycle.
如果一个东西是工具 它就会忠诚地坐在那里
If something is a tool, it genuinely is just sitting there,
耐心等待
waiting patiently.
如果一个东西不是工具 它会在你身上有所求
If something is not a tool, it's demanding things from you.
引诱你、操纵你 想从你身上获利
It's seducing you. It's manipulating you. It wants things from you.
我们已经走过了 以工具为基础的技术环境
And we've moved away from having a tools-based technology environment
来到了以致瘾和操纵 为基础的技术环境
to an addiction- and manipulation-based technology environment.
这是技术环境的改变
That's what's changed.
社交媒体 不是原地等在那里被使用的工具
Social media isn't a tool that's just waiting to be used.
它有自己的目标 有自己的办法去实现这些目标
It has its own goals, and it has its own means of pursuing them
利用你的心理 来对付你
by using your psychology against you.
(“只有两个行业 把他们的客户叫做‘使用者’非法毒品和软件”)
(爱德华·塔夫特)
回想几年之前
Rewind a few years ago, I was the...
我是Pinterest的总经理
I was the president of Pinterest.
我回到家
I was coming home,
到家之后就无法放下手♥机♥
and I couldn't get off my phone once I got home,
虽然我有两个小孩子 需要我的关爱
despite having two young kids who needed my love and attention.
我在食物储藏室里打字回邮件
I was in the pantry, you know, typing away on an e-mail
有时候会看Pinterest
or sometimes looking at Pinterest.
我想:“天啊 这真是典型的讽刺
I thought, "God, this is classic irony.
我白天去工作
I am going to work during the day
构造一个把我当猎物的东西”
and building something that then I am falling prey to."
我无法… 有时候 我真的情不自禁使用
And I couldn't... I mean, some of those moments, I couldn't help myself.
我最无法摆脱的是推特
The one that I'm... I'm most prone to is Twitter.
以前无法摆脱的是Reddit
used to be Reddit.
我后来不得不给自己写程序 来切断我阅读Reddit的瘾
I actually had to write myself software to break my addiction to reading Reddit.
我最成瘾的 可能是邮件
I'm probably most addicted to my e-mail.
真的 我是认真的 我自己能感觉到
I mean, really. I mean, I... I feel it.
这很有趣
Well, I mean, it's sortit's interesting
我很清楚 这一切的幕后发生着什么
that knowing what was going on behind the curtain,
我还是无法控制自己去使用
I still wasn't able to control my usage.
这就有点可怕了
So, that's a little scary.
即便知道这些手段的原理 我还是容易受到它们影响
Even knowing how these tricks work, I'm still susceptible to them.
我拿起手♥机♥ 20分钟就不知不觉过去了
I'll still pick up the phone, and 20 minutes will disappear.
你晨起排尿之前 会看一眼智能手♥机♥吗?
Do you check your smartphone before you pee in the morning
或者晨起排尿过程中 会看吗?
or while you're peeing in the morning?
因为只有这两个选择
'Cause those are the only two choices.
我试过用意志力克制 纯意志力…
I tried through willpower, just pure willpower...
“我要放下手♥机♥ 我到家之后 要把手♥机♥丢在车里”
"I'll put down my phone, I'll leave my phone in the car when I get home."
我应该在千万个不同的日子 告诉过自己千万次
I think I told myself a thousand times, a thousand different days,
“我不要把手♥机♥带到卧室”
"I am not gonna bring my phone to the bedroom,"
然后晚上九点到了
and then 9:00 p.m. rolls around.
“哎 我想把手♥机♥带进卧室”
"Well, I wanna bring my phone in the bedroom."
这就有点…
And so, that was sort of...
意志力是一种努力
Willpower was kind of attempt one,
兽♥性♥在做着另一种努力
and then attempt two was, you know, brute force.
隆重介绍“厨房♥保险箱”
Introducing the Kitchen Safe.
“厨房♥保险箱”是革命性的全新发明
The Kitchen Safe is a revolutionary,
帮你战胜诱惑的时间锁保鲜盒
new, time-locking container that helps you fight temptation.
大卫只需要把各种诱惑 放进这个“厨房♥保险箱”
All David has to do is place those temptations in the Kitchen Safe.
下一步 进行调控 设置时间
Next, he rotates the dial to set the timer.
最后 按下调控 激活锁
And, finally, he presses the dial to activate the lock.
“厨房♥保险箱”超级好
The Kitchen Safe is great...
我们家有 是吧?
We have that, don't we?
…电子游戏、信♥用♥卡♥、手♥机♥
...video games, credit cards, and cell phones.
对 有
Yeah, we do.
“厨房♥保险箱”一旦上锁
Once the Kitchen Safe is locked, it cannot be opened
直到计时器归零之前 没办法打开
until the timer reaches zero.
问题是 社交媒体就是一种毒品
So, here's the thing. Social media is a drug.
我们有着基本的生物学欲望
I mean, we have a basic biological imperative
去和别人联♥系♥
to connect with other people.
这直接影响着 奖赏通路中的多巴胺释放
That directly affects the release of dopamine in the reward pathway.
这个机制背后 是几百万年的进化
Millions of years of evolution, um, are behind that system
让我们聚在一起 群居生活
to get us to come together and live in counities,
找到伴侣 繁殖我们的物种
to find mates, to propagate our species.
所以 毫无疑问 社交媒体这种载体
So, there's no doubt that a vehicle like social media,
它会优化人们之间的联♥系♥
which optimizes this connection between people,
自然会有致瘾的可能性
is going to have the potential for addiction.
爸 停!
m! -Dad, stop!
我在晚饭前 还有上千个消息要回
I have, like, 1,000 more snips to send before dinner.
消息?
Snips?
我不知道消息是什么
I don't know what a snip is.
-闻起来好香 宝贝 -谢谢
that smells good, baby. -All right. Thank you.
我想 我们可以用所有五官
I was, um, thinking we could use all five senses
来享受今晚的晚餐
to enjoy our dinner tonight.
所以我决定 今晚的餐桌上不能使用手♥机♥
So, I decided that we're not gonna have any cell phones at the table tonight.
好了 交上来
So, turn 'em in.
-真的吗? -是
Really? -Yep.
-好吧 -谢谢 本?
All right. -Thank you. Ben?
-好 -妈妈是手♥机♥海盗
Okay. -Mom, the phone pirate.
-拿走了 -妈!
Got it. -Mom!
晚餐结束前 这些手♥机♥会安全地放在这里
So, they will be safe in here until after dinner...
所有人可以安静待着了 好吗?
and everyone can just chill out. Okay?
-我能看一眼是谁吗? -不行
Can I just see who it is? -No.
我去再拿一个叉子
Just gonna go get another fork.
谢谢
Thank you.
宝贝 不能打开
Honey, you can't open that.
我锁上了一个小时 别动了
I locked it for an hour, so just leave it alone.
我们要聊点什么?
So, what should we talk about?
我们可以聊聊
Well, we could talk
我今天开车 身边经过的极端中心政党疯子
about the, Extreme Center wackos I drove by today.
-算了 弗兰科 -怎么了?
Please, Frank. -What?
我不想聊政♥治♥
I don't wanna talk about politics.
-极端中心怎么了? -看吧?他都没明白
What's wrong with the Extreme Center? -See? He doesn't even get it.
取决于你问谁
It depends on who you ask.
这就像是你问:“政♥治♥鼓吹怎么了?”
It's like asking, "What's wrong with propaganda?"
艾拉!
Isla!
天啊
my God.
-需要我去… -嗯
Do you want me to... -Yeah.
我很担心我的孩子们
I... I'm worried about my kids.
等你们有了孩子 我还会担心你们的孩子
And if you have kids, I'm worried about your kids.
虽然我有着各种知识储备 各种经验
Armed with all the knowledge that I have and all of the experience,
我还是和孩子们争论
I am fighting my kids about the time
他们使用手♥机♥和电脑的时间
that they spend on phones and on the computer.
我会对我儿子说 “你觉得自己会在手♥机♥上花多久?”
I will say to my son, "How many hours do you think you're spending on your phone?"
他会说 “也就半小时吧 最多半小时了”
He'll be like, "It's, like, half an hour. It's half an hour, tops."
我觉得比一小时多一点 一个半小时
I'd say upwards hour, hour and a half.
几周之前看了他的屏幕使用报告
I looked at his screen report a couple weeks ago.
电影精选列表