every image
都是一种不同的死法
a different death.
故事四:《陷坑与钟摆》
(金刚注:《电锯惊魂5》开场游戏灵感出自本篇小说)
叙述者:墨西哥著名导演吉尔莫·德·托罗
我难受得快要死了
I was sick...
因为长久的折磨
sick to death with that long agony.
他们给我松绑的时候,我觉得神志正远离躯壳而去
And when they unbound me, I felt that my senses were leaving me.
那声判决
The sentence...
那声可怕的死刑判决
the dread sentence of death...
是清清楚楚灌进我耳膜的
was the last of distinct accentuation
最后一个声音
which reached my ears.
之后
After that,
审讯的声音似乎幻化为
the sound of the inquisitorial voices seemed merged
空空荡荡却嗡嗡作响
into one dreamy indeterminate hum.
谁在我心里放冷枪
I heard no more.
之后
Yet, for a while,
我看到了黑袍法官的嘴唇
I saw the lips of the judges.
我看见两片嘴唇一伸一缩之际,我的名字就脱口而出
I saw them pronouncing the syllables of my name,
我浑身颤抖,因为我听不到有声传来
and I shuddered because I heard no sound.
那些长蜡烛彻底熄灭
The tall candles sank into nothingness;
烛火化为乌有
their flames went out.
四下漆黑一团
The blackness of darkness supervened.
一切感觉都逃遁了
All sensations appeared
唯有一个意念急速坠落,似乎灵魂
swallowed up in a mad rushing descent as of the soul
被打入地狱
into Hades.
之后一片寂静,一切都凝滞了
Then silence, and stillness,
黑夜主宰了宇宙
night were the universe.
再后来我回忆起了平坦和潮湿
After this I call to mind flatness and dampness;
接下来,一切都变得疯狂
and then all the madness of a memory
一种忙着冲破禁区的记忆的疯狂
which busies itself among forbidden things.
直到今天,我都没睁开过眼睛
So far, I had not opened my eyes.
我对第一眼将看到的周遭景况心存畏惧
I dreaded the first glance at objects around me.
不出所料,果然糟透了
My worst thoughts, then,were confirmed.
长夜漫漫,黑暗包围着我
The blackness of eternal night encompassed me.
我拼命地呼吸
I struggled for breath.
空气憋闷,令我窒息
The atmosphere was intolerably close.
但是
But where
我在哪里,我又是什么状态?
and in what state was I?
我知道被宗教法庭判决死刑的人
The condemned to death, I knew,
通常是被捆在炮烙上烧死
perished usually at the autos-da-fe,
而在我受审的当晚
and one of these had been held
这样的刑罚已执行过一次
on the very night of the day of my trial.
难道我已被押解回地牢
Had I been remanded to my dungeon,
正等着数月后的
to await the next sacrifice, which
再一次炮烙之刑?
would not take place for many months?
就在
And now,
我一步一步小心谨慎地朝前摸索时
there came thronging upon my recollection
无数托莱多城的暧昧传闻涌上心头
a thousand vague rumors of the horrors of Toledo.
其中也有
Of the dungeons
地牢里的一些怪事
there had been strange things narrated,
怪得让人不敢公开谈论
strange, and too ghastly to repeat.
难道要把我关在这个暗无天日的
Was I left to perish of starvation
地下活活饿死吗?
in this subterranean world of darkness;
或者还有更恐怖的噩运
or what fate,perhaps even more fearful,
等着我?
awaited me?
我伸出的食指
My outstretched hands at length
终于触碰到了某个坚固的障碍物
encountered some solid obstruction.
那是一堵墙
It was a wall,
我顺着墙走
I followed it up.
可我这么走,并不能
This process, however,afforded me no means
确定地牢的大小
of ascertaining the dimensions of my dungeon.
如果我摔倒前多走一步
Another step before my fall,
我已经不在人间了
and the world had seen me no more.
我刚才逃过一劫
And the death just avoided,
那种死法与传闻中宗教法庭
was of that very character which I had regarded
处死人的方式
as fabulous and frivolous
如出一辙
in the tales regarding the Inquisition.
宗教法庭的暴虐下
To the victims of its tyranny,
死法不外乎两点:
there was the choice of death
要么死于可怕的肉体折磨
with its direst physical agonies,
要么死于恐怖的精神谋杀
or death with its most hideous moral horrors.
他们为我安排的是第二种死法
I had been reserved for the latter.
我渴得唇角舌燥
I was consumed with intolerable thirst.
很明显,这种焦渴是迫♥害♥者
This thirst it appeared to be the design of my persecutors
有意为之
to stimulate
而盘子里的食物
for the food in the dish was meat
肉香扑鼻
pungently seasoned.
水里一定下了药
It must have been drugged;
水刚喝完
for scarcely had I drunk,
就感到昏昏欲睡
before I became irresistibly drowsy.
我再也不必怀疑了
I could no longer doubt
这正是那些酷爱折磨人的臭和尚为我安排的死法
the doom prepared for me by monkish ingenuity in torture.
宗教法庭的臭和尚已得知
My cognizance of the pit had become known
我发现了陷坑
to the inquisitorial.
我没跌入陷坑
Having failed to fall,
把我扔进去也不在
it was no part of the demon plan
毒计的计划范围内
to hurl me into the abyss,
于是,另一种比较温和的死法等着我
and thus a different and a milder destruction awaited me.
我一下一下地数着巨斧急速摆动的次数
I counted the rushing vibrations of the steel!
一寸一寸
Inch by inch...
一分一分
line by line...
每隔一会才能感到它在下坠,片刻长于百年
with a descent only appreciable at intervals that seemed ages.
下降,钟摆缓慢平稳地下降着
Down... steadily down it crept.
下降,钟摆断然残酷地下降!
Down... certainly,relentlessly down!
它就在离我胸口不到三英寸的地方摆动!
It vibrated within three inches of my bosom!
我期望它能更快一点
I prayed for its more speedy descent.
我开始变得极度疯狂
I grew frantically mad,and struggled
强迫自己引体向上
to force myself upward
迎向巨斧的利刃
against the sweep of the fearful scimitar.
至少在这一刻
For the moment, at least,
我自♥由♥了
I was free.
自♥由♥了!可我仍在宗教法庭的魔掌下
Free! And in the grasp of the Inquisition!
自♥由♥!
Free!
我只不过是逃脱了
I had but escaped death
一种痛苦的死法
in one form of agony,
随后到来的将是比死还难受的别样折磨
to be delivered unto worse than death in some other.
有好一阵子
For a wild moment,
我的理智拒绝
did my spirit refuse
理解眼睛看到的现象
to comprehend the meaning of what I saw.
登峰造极的恐怖!
Any horror but this!
除了死于陷坑,我接受任何死亡!
Any death but that of the pit!
我难道不知道
Might I have not known that into the pit
炮烙就是为了把我逼入陷坑?
it was the object of the burning iron to urge me?
我能扛得住炽热吗?
Could I resist its glow?
传来一阵嘈杂的人声
There was a discordant hum of human voices!
听到一阵嘹亮的声音
There was a loud blast.
法国♥军♥队攻进了托莱多城
The French army had entered Toledo.
宗教法庭,沦陷敌手
The Inquisition was in the hands of its enemies.
你用那么多扉页致敬我的名字
You have devoted so many pages to my name,
用那么多诗歌♥触碰我的脸庞
caressing my face with your poems,
用那么多散文亲吻我的嘴唇
kissing my lips with your prose.
所有含蓄的情信都是快递给我的
All veiled love letters addressed to me.
你害怕我
You fear me
可你又无法抗拒地被我吸引
and yet you are insatiably attracted.
随我走吧,时辰已到
Come with me. It's time.
不,不成,我不想被遗忘
No, it cannot be.I don't want to be forgotten.
我被埋葬在一个普通的坟墓里
I was buried in a common grave.
我的著作被遗忘了数十年甚至上百年
My writings were forgotten for years.
你已经死了
You are already dead.
你怎么可能记得住自己的死亡
How could you remember your own death...
除非你屈从于我的怀抱?
unless you have succumbed to my embrace?