Yes, the idea may seem absurd,
但是时候去实现了
but think of all you have to gain now.
不。。
No...
老夫还未知
I don't know.
请容老夫三思
Allow me to consider it.
瓦尔德马,你命不久矣
Valdemar, you are condemned.
无妻无子
You have no family or home.
有何放不下的牵挂?
What have you to lose?
答应我你会考虑的
Promise me you will think about it.
好吧
Very well,
就决定是你了
I am in your hands.
我们最终达成协议
It was finally arranged between us that he would send for me
他会给我24小时
about twenty-four hours before the period
在他的医生宣布
announced by his physicians
他死亡之前
as that of his decease.
那张纸条写完半小时后就被我收到
I received this note within half an hour
而15分钟后
after it was written,and in fifteen minutes more,
我就进了那位将死之人的卧室
I was in the dying man's chamber.
7点55分
It was about five minutes to eight when,
我握着病人的手
taking the patient's hand,
请他尽可能清楚地
I begged him to state as distinctly as he could
向L医生声明他是否完全愿意
to Dr. L whether he was entirely willing
在他当时的状态下让我们对他
that I should make the experiment of mesmerizing him
进行催眠实验
in his then condition.
是的,我希望被催眠
Yes, I wish to be mesmerized.
我担心你拖延太久了
I fear you have deferred it too long.
10点55分
At five minutes before eleven,
我看出了催眠影响的明显迹象
I perceived unequivocal signs of the mesmeric influence.
待我完成这些时,时间已到午夜子时
When I had accomplished this it was fully midnight,
于是我请求在场医生们
and I requested the gentlemen present
检查瓦尔德马先生的情况
to examine M. Valdemar's condition.
病人的四肢
The patient's extremities
冰凉刺骨
were of an icy coldness.
但是,他的整个外貌并不是一副死相
Still, the general appearance was not that of death.
瓦尔德马先生
Monsieur Valdemar,
您睡着了吗?
are you asleep?
是的
Yes,
我,睡,着,了
I am asleep now.
别,叫,醒,我!
Do not wake me!
让,我,死,吧!
Let me die so!
现在两位大夫都认为,更准确地说
It was now the opinion,or rather the wish,
是都希望
of the physicians,
应该允许瓦尔德马先生不受打扰地
that M. Valdemar should be suffered to remain undisturbed
保持他当时那种明显的平静状态
in his present apparently tranquil condition,
直到在平静中死去
until death should supervene,
而大家都认为
and this,it was now generally agreed,
他肯定会在几分钟内死去
must take place within a few minutes.
然而我仍决定再与他
I concluded, however,to speak to him
交流一次
once more.
瓦尔德马先生,您还在睡吗?
Monsieur Valdemar,do you still sleep?
是的
Yes,
噢
Oh
我曾一直沉睡
I have been sleeping
可现在。。。
and now...
现在。。。
Now...
我,死,了
I am dead.
显而易见,到当时为止,死亡
It was evident that,so far, death,
或者说常规说法的死亡
or what is usually termed death,
被催眠术所抑制
had been arrested by the mesmeric process.
实验完结了
The experiment is completed.
但是。。。我们能否确认他死了?
But... are we sure he's dead?
你我都听到了,对吧?
You've heard it like me, right?
是你的科学思维限制
Is your scientific mind restricted
让你只信自己的所见所闻吗?
by that which you can only see or hear yourself?
从这一时期直到上个周末
From this period until the close of last week,
间隔将近7个月
an interval of nearly seven months,
我们持续每天都来瓦府
we continued to make daily calls at M. Valdemar's house.
我试图说服同事们在这种状况下
I managed to convince my colleagues to leave M. Valdemar
远离瓦尔德马,改为监视他
in this state and to monitor him.
起初,我们仅限于日常观察
First, we confined ourselves to simple daily observations.
之后,我们被迫面对现实
But soon, we were obliged to face the facts.
先生们,我们的工作无法进行下去了
Gentlemen,we are not advancing our work.
这些现象太肤浅了
These observations are too superficial.
你还想把实验对象
You still wish to dissect the subject
当作实验室的动物吗?
like a laboratory animal.
为今之计
Without going that far,
我们可以从事一些光照实验
we can engage in some light tests.
你错了!我。。。
You are mistaken! I...
你想说什么,L医生?
What are you suggesting, Dr. L?
额,我们总可以。。。。
Well, we could always...
放弃吧
let it be.
没什么可以做的了
There is nothing further to be done.
他的一切生命特征都消失了
All of the subject's vital functions are inert.
他停止呼吸,心脏不再跳动,但。。。
He has stopped breathing, his heart no longer beats, yet...
七个月来,身体并未腐烂
in seven months, decomposition has not attacked his body
也没有任何医疗措施治好他的疾病
and no treatment has cured his illness.
医学上讲,瓦尔德马先生已经死了
Medically, M. Valdemar is dead.
让我们唤醒他吧
Let's wake him up.
侬搞七捻♥三!
You're talking nonsense!
这些想法太亵渎了,太疯狂了!
These thoughts are sacrilege!Insanity!
你不同意让他这样下去
You would not agree to put him in this state
你又不同意让他得到解脱?
and now you refuse to release him from it?
我。。。。
I...
放手吧,朋友,P医生是对的
Let it go my friend,Dr. P is right.
瓦尔德马先生法理上已经死了
M. Valdemar is legally dead.
我们所能做的就是厚葬他了
All we can do now is to offer him a decent burial.
上周五,我们终于决定
It was on Friday last that we finally resolved
进行唤醒实验
to make the experiment of awakening,
或者说试图唤醒
or attempting to awaken him.
为了把瓦尔德马先生
For the purpose of relieving M. Valdemar
从催眠状态中唤醒
from the mesmeric trance,
我使用了以前习惯用的方法
I made use of the customary passes.
但是一开始并不奏效
These, for a time,were unsuccessful.
瓦尔德马先生
M. Valdemar,
能告诉我们您现在的感受或期望吗?
can you explain to us what your feelings or wishes are now?
看在佛祖的份上!
For God's sake!
快!快!
Quick! Quick!
让我睡觉!
Put me to sleep!
不然就叫醒我!快啊!
Or Waken me! Quick!
我话给你听我死了!
I say to you that I am dead!
死了!
Dead!
死了!!!
Dead!!!
然而,对随后真正发生的事
For what really occurred, however,
任何人类都不可能
it is quite impossible that any living human
有任何思想准备
could have been prepared.
在我看来,他失败了。。。
And as I can see, he lost...
挑战失败了
lost to me.
他如此接近
He was so close...
如此接近让瓦尔德马先生远离你的死亡怀抱
so close to sparing M. Valdemar from your fatal embrace.
那算是犯罪吗?
Was that a crime?
抗拒命运的犯罪
A crime against fate.
而你的语句悲伤逆流成河
And your sentence was a life of endless sorrow.
你别再玩折磨人的心理游戏了
Stop with your tortured mind games.
没什么比预想自己的死亡更可怕的了
There is nothing worse than imagining your own death.
不是吗?
Isn't it?
没有什么比害怕永恒更糟糕的了
Nothing worse than to fear eternity.
我曾经写过一个故事
I wrote a story once.
关于一个死了一千次的人
A tale about someone who relived the hell
从地狱复活的传说
of dying a thousand deaths.
也许你看到镜子里自己的反射
Perhaps a mirror where you saw yourself reflected,
每一个镜像