我走的时候她还好好的
She was fine when I left her.
她说...她说她不想堕了
She said, um, she didn't want to go through with it,
我就收拾了自己的包
and by the time I'd packed my bag,
她吃了药很快睡着了
she was fast asleep from the pill.
你一开始就不该在那里
You should never been up there in the first place.
还用你说吗
Don't I know it?
跟她说你是个医生
Telling her you're a doctor!
我只是想帮忙而已 艾瑟尔
I was just trying to help, Ethel.
给她看那些医学书
Showing her those medical books,
搞得好像你真懂一样
like you know the first thing about it.
够了
Now that's enough!
艾瑟尔 我已经够烦了
I'm a bag of nerves, Ethel.
我们就别提帮贝丽尔
Let's not mention helping Beryl
解决...她的问题的事情了
with her...well, her problem.
否则我们就完全脱不了身了
Or we'll be dragged into this good and proper and before...
因为他们转脸就会说是我杀了她
before you know it, they'll be saying I killed her.
说实话 我想今晚大概是睡不着了
Honestly, I don't think I'll sleep a wink tonight.
睡不着了
Not a wink.
我郑重发誓 我在庭上
I do solemnly declare that the evidence I shall give
所述之言皆为事实
shall be the truth,
字字千真万确 绝无虚言
the whole truth and nothing but the truth,
上帝保佑我
so help me, God.
艾瑟尔·克里斯蒂夫人
Mrs Ethel Christie?
是的
Yes.
你是上个证人的妻子
You are the wife of the last witness.
你是否记得十一月的一个晚上
Do you remember one night in November
被撞击声吵醒
being wakened by a bump?
是的 我记得
Yes, I do.
被吵醒之后你有没有听到
Did you hear anything unusual
什么不同寻常的声音
after the noise which woke you up?
之后
Well, afterwards
我听到了应该是
I heard a noise as if
家具挪动的声音
furniture was being moved about.
那晚听见碰撞声之后
Did you ever go into the Evans' flat
你进过埃文斯一家的房♥间吗
after the bump in the night?
没有 我想没有
No, I don't think so.
就你所知
So far as you know,
那晚后 克里斯蒂先生回过他的房♥间吗
did Mr Christie ever go into the flat after that night?
没有 我想没有
No, I don't think so.
谢谢 克里斯蒂夫人
Thank you, Mrs Christie.
你的名字是蒂莫西·约翰·埃文斯吗
Your name is Timothy John Evans?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
你的年龄是
How old are you?
25岁
25.
你承认自己谋杀了妻子和孩子 对吗
Is it true you confessed to the murder of your wife and child?
我确实承认了 先生
I have confessed it, sir,
但...那并非事实
but it's... It is not true.
所以你并没有把妻子的尸体扔进下水道
So you did not put your wife's body down a manhole?
没有 先生
No, sir.
那你为什么说你做了
Well, why did you say you did?
是克里斯蒂先生告诉我
Well, that's what Mr christie told me
他要那样处理她
he was going to do with her.
你为什么突然又去警♥察♥局
Why did you suddenly go to the police?
因为担心我的女儿杰拉尔丁
Because I was getting worried about my daughter Geraldine.
所以 你承认了谋杀罪
So, you confessed to murder
是因为担心你的女儿
because you were worried about your daughter?
不.
No.
发现女儿死了之后
When I found out my daughter was dead
我已经生无可恋
I had nothing else to live for.
你是否撒谎说
And wasn't it also a lie
你帮克里斯蒂先生将你妻子的尸体搬下楼
that you helped Mr Christie carry your wife's body downstairs,
而现实是 他的身体状况无法搬动重物
when we know he was physically incapable of doing that?
甚至抱孩子都成问题
Or even carrying the child?
我知道他说了什么...
I heard what he said...
但我仍要说 我是帮他搬我妻子的尸体
But I still say I helped him carry my wife's body.
我都是按克里斯蒂先生的指示做的
I did it all on the advice of Mr Christie.
你还指控这位克里斯蒂先生
And this is the same Mr Christie
对你妻子实施了违法的堕胎手术
you allege performed an illegal abortion on your wife?
可我们知道 她是被勒死
And yet we know she was killed by strangling,
而非因堕胎而死
not by abortion.
你能否指出
Can you suggest
克里斯蒂先生勒死你妻子的原因
why Mr Christie should have strangled your wife?
他一整天都待在家里
He was home all day.
他一整天都待在家里
He was home all day.
这是客观事实 但算不上原因
That is a circumstance. It is not a reason.
再问一次 你能否指出
Again - can you suggest
他勒死你妻子的原因
why he strangled your wife?
不能
No, I can't.
那你能否指出他在两天之后
Then can you suggest why he should've strangled your daughter,
勒死你女儿的原因
two days later?
不能
No.
控方再次传唤
The prosecution recalls
约翰·雷金纳德·哈利迪·克里斯蒂
John Reginald Halliday Christie.
就我们今日所听到的证词
It appears from what we have heard today
蒂莫西·埃文斯先生的
that Mr Timothy Evans'
全部抗辩似乎都是在攻击你
sole line of defence rests on attacking you,
一位清白之人
a perfectly innocent man.
他声称你在帮埃文斯夫人堕胎时杀死了她
He alleges that you killed Mrs Evans while performing an abortion.
却拿不出实施堕胎的证据
whereas, no evidence of any abortion exists.
汉弗莱斯先生是在假设其当事人清白
Mr Humphreys is making the assumption that his witness is innocent
而被告有罪
and the defendant is not.
你不能说克里斯蒂先生
You cannot describe Mr Christie
完全清白
as a perfectly innocent man.
你在一战时是做什么的 克里斯蒂先生
What were you doing in the First World War, Mr Christie?
我在威灵顿公爵步兵团
I was in, um, Duke of Wellington's Regiment
诺丁汉郡的德比市
and Notts and Derby,
并且两度接触毒气
and I was gassed twice.
我失明了三个月
I was blinded for three months.
我在三年半的时间里未曾说过话
I never spoke for three-and-a-half years.
失明
Blinded?
还有三年都说不了话
And you could not speak for three years?
三年半
Three-and-a-half years.
上一次你和警♥察♥有麻烦
The last time you were in trouble with the police
是1938年 对吗
for any offence was in 1938, correct?
对
Yes.
十二年前
12 years ago.
二战期间 尽管你身体残疾
And in this last war, despite your disabilities,
但仍做了几年预备警♥察♥
you served with the Reserve Police for several years?
对吗
Is that right?
没错 我曾受到过两次表彰
Yes, sir. I was commended on two occasions.
所以你其实是个受伤的退伍兵
So, you are an injured war veteran
且是受过表彰的警♥察♥
and a commended officer of the law.
而以其生命来发誓
The man who accuses you of murder
指控你杀人堕胎的人
and abortion and swearing his life away
却是一个已经自首的骗子
is a self-confessed liar,
这个人之前
who, on a previous occasion,
还想将他自己的妻子摔出窗外
attempted to throw his own wife out of the window.
是的
Yes.
蒂莫西·埃文斯
Timothy Evans...
陪审团得出结论
the jury finds you guilty
你谋杀女儿拉尔丁·埃文斯 罪名成立
of the murder of your daughter Geraldine Evans.
你将被带到刑场
You will be taken from here to a place of execution,
在那里执行绞刑
and there you shall hang by the neck until you are dead.
不是我♥干♥的
It wasn't me.
杀人凶手 杀人凶手
Murderer! Murderer!
你竟敢叫他凶手 他是个好人
Don't you dare call him that. He's a good man!
吃蛋吗 克里斯蒂夫人
Egg, Mrs Christie?
谢谢
Thanks.
他一打开门就会目瞪口呆的
He'll have the shock of his life when he opens the door.
他会大吃一惊
He'll be bowled over.