剧集 | 新喋喋人生 | 导航列表
他说 对
He said, "Yes,
要是有13门徒
if there had been 13 disciples
而不是12位
instead of 12,
多出来的那位就是你 弗扎女士
"the other one would have been you, Miss Fozzard."
这次是绿色的丝绸手帕
Green silk handkerchief this time.
上周是红色的
Last week it was red.
但是他回想起来词汇了 毋庸置疑
But the words are certainly coming back, no doubt about it,
如果伯纳德说不出想说的词
and if Bernard can't manage a word, well,
那我就按克拉克森-哈尔医生建议的做
then I get him what Mr Clarkson-Hall suggested to do,
描述他的意思
which is namely describe what he means
绕开那个词
and then skirt a path round it.
麦洛依小姐也让他这样做
Miss Molloy gets him to do it too
她说从某种程度上说 她和伯纳德相处得很好
and she says one way or another, they get along.
她每天为他洗澡 给他涂婴儿油
She bathes him every day, rubs him with baby oil,
她说预防褥疮
says where bedsores are concerned,
要比治疗容易
prevention is better than cure.
我依然晚上进去给他讲我的一天
I still go in of a night and give him all my news.
顿德戴尔医生一直说
Mr Dunderdale had been saying
进化选了这条路有多可惜
how it was a pity evolution had taken the turn that it did
不然的话 我们可能
because if it hadn't, we might have found ourselves
用脚的频率和用手一样多
using our feet as much as we did our hands,
在当前的经济环境下
which in the current economic climate
我们可能正需要这样来扭转平衡
might have been just what's needed to tip the balance.
麦洛依小姐说 真有意思
Miss Molloy says, "Ooh, that's interesting."
伯纳德只是呻♥吟♥
Bernard just groans.
其实我很惊讶 她竟然忍♥得了他
Personally, I'm surprised she can put up with him,
但她说 按澳大利亚的标准 他是绅士
but she says by Australian standards he's a gentleman.
我听到他们大笑
I hear them laughing.
软装部
Soft Furnishings,
我们部门总是有点冷清
we're always a bit slack first thing,
所以我一般会溜到地毯地板部
so I'll generally do a little wander over into Floor Coverings
跟艾斯黛儿·麦特卡夫聊聊
and have a word with Estelle Metcalf. Well...
我真希望我们隔壁就是家居用品部
I wish it was Housewares we were next to
因为这样就可以跟乔伊·珀伊瑟聊了
because that would make it Joy Poyser.
艾斯黛儿也不错
I mean, Estelle's all right,
她就是有点年轻 戴着大眼镜
she's just a bit on the young side, you know, big glasses,
男朋友周末会穿成骑士
boyfriend's one of these who dress up as cavaliers at the weekend.
我今早跟她说 指压术
I said to her this morning, I said, "Shiatsu."
她说 再说一遍
She said, "Come again?"
我说 指压术 是什么
I said, "Shiatsu, what is it?"
她说 是热带鱼吗 我说 不是
She says, "Is it a tropical fish?" I said, "No."
她说 是蘑菇吗 我说 不是
She says, "Is it a mushroom?" I said, "No."
她说 是顿德戴尔医生吗
She says, "Is it Mr Dunderdale?"
我说 为什么是顿德戴尔医生
I said, "Why should it be Mr Dunderdale?"
她说 因为你最近三句话不离他
She says, "Because most things are these days with you."
我说 你这句话我就当没听见 艾斯黛儿
I said, "I shall ignore that, Estelle.
这么说吧
"Suffice it to say,
指压术是一种日本人发明的按♥摩♥法
it's a form of massage that involves various pressure points
按压身体上各种穴位
on the body invented by the Japanese."
她说 那很好 但这也没能阻挡他们
She said, "Oh, that's all very well, but it didn't stop them
轰炸珍珠港 对吧
"doing Pearl Harbor, did it?"
内维尔周日要围攻约克
Neville's besieging York on Sunday,
试试他的新胸甲
trying out his new breast plate.
艾斯黛儿也一起去
Estelle's going along as an imploring housewife
演一个打着休战旗帜出来哀求的家庭主妇
who comes out under a flag of truce.
这时 来了个想买♥♥泡泡纱套衫的顾客
Just then, a customer comes in wanting some seersucker slipovers,
我们就不能再聊了
so we have to cut it short.
我不聊顿德戴尔医生
I don't talk about Mr Dunderdale.
如果我聊他 她就会聊奥利弗·克伦威尔
And if I do, she talks about Oliver Cromwell.
我现在每周去一次
I go weekly now,
虽然顿德戴尔医生不再收我钱了
though Mr Dunderdale won't charge me any more.
他让我坐在沙发上 他收拾医用器械
I was sat on the sofa afterwards while he put away his instruments
他说 好消息 弗扎女士
and he said, "Good news, Miss Fozzard.
我们好像战胜了足癣 一点痕迹都没有了
"We seem to have cracked the tinea pedis, not a trace of it left.
我们应该为这个再倒一杯雪莉酒
"I think this calls for a sherry refill.
你着急走吗 我说 没有 怎么了
"Are you in a hurry to get off?" I said, "No, why?"
他说 我们还有一点时间
He said, "Well, we still have a little time in hand
不知道你愿不愿意
"and I wonder if I may prevail
试穿一双短筒靴
upon you to try on a pair of bootees?"
我说 短筒靴
I said, "Bootees?"
他说 我这个词用得不怎么严谨
He said, "Well, I use the term loosely.
严格来说 这双是吉布森毛皮内衬做旧
"They're technically what we call a Gibson fur-lined bruised look,
但用短筒靴来指代比较方便
"but bootees is a convenient shorthand.
颜色是孟加拉棕色
"The shade is Bengal bronze."
我说 这双鞋很漂亮
I said, "Well, they're a lovely shoe."
他说 是的
He said, "Yes.
舒适 能护着脚踝
"Cosy, ankle hugging,
让腿下端非常漂亮
they make a beautiful ending to the leg.
当然 是送你的礼物
"They're a present, of course."
我说 顿德戴尔医生 我不能收
I said, "Oh, Mr Dunderdale, I couldn't."
他说 弗扎女士 收下吧
He said, "Miss Fozzard, please.
我在鞋类行业的熟人
"My contacts in the world of footwear
给我开了非常好的折扣
procure me a considerable discount.
另外 你可以帮我做件事当做回报
Besides, there is a little something you can do for me in return."
我说 是什么
I said, "Oh?"
他说 我经年累月为女士的脚弯腰
He said, "My years in bending over ladies' feet have resulted
让我腰部间歇性疼痛
in an intermittently painful condition of the lower back,
如果你愿意的话
which, if you are amenable,
你可以帮我减轻疼痛
you have it in your power to alleviate."
我说 是吗 顿德戴尔先生
I said, "I do, Mr Dunderdale?"
他说 是的 弗扎女士
He said, "You do, Miss Fozzard.
我要在炉边地毯这里
"Now, I'm just going to put one cushion here
放个靠垫垫着头
on the hearthrug for my head
另一个靠垫垫在腹部 躺下
and another here for my abdomen and I'm just going to lie down
然后你踩我的腰就好
and what I want you to do is to step on my lower back."
我说 我要把短筒靴脱下来吗
I said, "Should I take the bootees off?"
他说 不
He said, "No, no.
穿着吧
"Keep the bootees on -
这双鞋的质地特别适合
their texture makes them ideal for the purpose.
就这样
"That's it.
你可以扶着壁炉台的边沿保持平衡
"Steady yourself by holding on to the edge of the mantelpiece
如果你想的话
if you want to."
然后他说了些我听不清的话
And then he said something I couldn't hear
因为他的脸埋进地毯里了
because his face was pressed into the carpet.
我说 抱歉 你说什么 顿德戴尔医生
I said, "Sorry, what was that, Mr Dunderdale?"
他说 棒极了 弗扎女士
He said, "Excellent, Miss Fozzard.
你想的话 踩的范围也可以稍微大一点
"You may move about a little if you would care to."
我说 我好担心会踩伤你
I said, "I'm very anxious not to hurt you."
他说 不用担心那个
He said, "Have no fears on that score.
尽情踩踏吧
"Trample away."
我说 我感觉自己像踩葡萄酿酒的
I said, "I feel like one of those French peasants
法国农民
treading the grapes."
他说 没错
He said, "Yes, yes, yes."
我说 你好受点了吗
I said, "Do you feel the benefit?"
他说 嗯 好受点了
He said, "Yes, yes, I do.
谢谢
"Thank you.
弗扎女士
"Now Miss Fozzard,
你不介意的话 我想这样躺一会儿
"if you don't mind, I'm just going to lie here for a while.
我就不送你出门了
"Perhaps you could see yourself out."
我就任由他躺在靠垫上了
So I just left him on the hearthrug.
我进门时 伯纳德跟麦洛依小姐坐在沙发上
When I get in, Bernard's sat on the sofa with Miss Molloy,
两人脸都有点红
both of them looking a bit red in the face.
我们刚才大笑来着 麦洛依小姐说
"We were just laughing," Says Miss Molloy,
因为伯纳德想不起那个词怎么说
"Because Bernard couldn't think of a word."
我说 他必须得学着绕开那个词
I said, "Well, he must learn to skirt round it."
她说 他绕开词做得还不错 你是个这方面的行家
She says, "Oh, he did that all right. You're an expert at that,
是不是 伯纳德
"aren't you, Bernard?"
两人爆发出一阵大笑
And they both burst out laughing.
克拉克森-哈尔医生对他的情况非常满意
Mr Clarkson-Hall's very pleased with him.
他说他从没见过恢复这么快的病人
Says he's never seen a recovery so quick.
剧集 | 新喋喋人生 | 导航列表