剧集 | 新喋喋人生 | 导航列表
他在鼓捣那辆车
He's messing about with the car,
穿着一件没有袖子的小背心
one of those little vests on they have now without sleeves.
听着广播用锤子钉子敲敲打打
Radio going hammer and tongs.
还是没看到孩子
No kiddy still.
我都不知道他们的名字
I don't even know their name.
后来想想 我觉得
Thinking about it afterwards, I realised
肯定是医生提醒牧师的
it must have been the doctor that alerted the vicar.
反正结果都一样
Came round anyway.
不是原来的牧师 我认识他的
Not the old vicar. I'd have known him.
是一个打着领带的年轻人
This was a young fellow in a collar and tie.
他可能是随便什么人
Could have been anybody.
我没有摘掉门链
I didn't take the chain off.
我说 "我怎么知道你是牧师"
I said, "How do I know you're the vicar?
"你有身份证明吗"
"Have you any identification?"
他从门缝里塞进来一个小十字架
He shoves a little cross round the door.
我说"这是什么" 他说"十字架"
I said, "What's this?" He said, "A cross."
我说"十字架说明不了什么
I said, "A cross doesn't mean anything.
现在的年轻人总是戴着这种东西 那些小流氓
"Youths wear crosses these days. Hooligans.
他们甚至把十字架戴在耳朵上"
"They wear crosses in their ears."
他说 "这不一样
He said, "Not like this.
这是真正的十字架
"This is a real cross.
一个有用的十字架
"A working cross.
这是我的谋生工具"
"It's the tool of my trade."
我还是有些怀疑
I was still a bit dubious,
然后我看到他裤脚上戴着夹子 就让他进来了
then I saw he had cycle clips on, so I let him in.
他聊了一会儿天 东拉西扯的
He chats for a bit, this and that,
没怎么提到上帝
no mention of God for long enough.
牧师们总是想方设法地隐瞒真实的意图
They keep him up their sleeve for as long as they can, vicars.
他们知道这会招致人们的不满
They know it puts people off.
说了一大堆关于爱的陈腔滥调
Went through a long rigmarole about love.
什么爱有各种形式
How love comes in different forms.
有爱的朋友 有爱的乡村 有爱的音乐
Loving friends, loving the countryside, loving music.
"人们会很惊讶地发现"他说...
"People would be surprised to learn..." He said.
我想 "来了"
I thought, "Here we go."
"人们会很惊讶地发现
"People would be surprised
他们其实一直爱着上帝
to learn that they loved God all the time
只是自己不知道" 我打断了他
"And just didn't know it." I cut him short.
我说"如果你是来聊上帝的
I said, "If you've come round here to talk about God,
那你走错地方了 我是无神论者"
"You're barking up the wrong tree. I'm an atheist."
我能看出他有些惊讶
He was a bit stumped, I could see.
他们看到女士时 一般不会觉得你是无神论者
They don't expect you to be an atheist when you're a miss.
牧师们
Vicars -
他们要是发现你是独身 就觉得自己胜券在握
they think if you're a single person, they're on a good wicket.
他说 "鲁多克小姐 我还会再来的
He said, "Well, Miss Ruddock, I shall call again.
你是一个有趣的挑战"
"I shall look on you as a challenge."
他离开不久后 又响起了敲门声
And he hadn't been gone long when there's another knock,
这次是一个男警♥察♥ 身后还跟了一名女警♥察♥
only this time it's a policeman with a woman policeman in tow.
他们问能否进来说几句话
Ask if they can come in and have a word.
我问"什么事"
I said, "What for?"
他说"你知道是什么事" 我说"我不知道"
He said, "You know what for." I said, "I don't."
但我还是让他们进来了
But I let them in.
他摘掉头盔 很年轻
Takes his helmet off - only young -
说他就不多说废话了
and says he'll get straight to the point.
他问写信的人是不是我
Was it me who'd been writing these letters?
我说"什么信 我不写信"
I said, "What letters? I don't write letters."
他说"那些信"
He said, "Letters."
我说"人人都会写信 你肯定也会写信"
I said, "Everyone writes letters. I bet you write letters."
他说"和你不一样 亲爱的" 我说"别叫我亲爱的
He said, "Not like you, love." I said, "Don't 'love' me.
把你的名字和警号♥告诉我
"You'd better give me your name and number.
我要写信给你的上级"
"I intend to write to your superintendent."
原来是跟对面的夫妻有关
Turns out it's to do with the couple opposite.
我说"你为什么要问我"
I said, "Well, why are you asking me?"
他说"我们问你是因为我们要查出
He said, "We're asking you because who was it who wrote
是谁写信给药剂师说他妻子是妓♥女♥的
"to the chemist, saying his wife was a prostitute?
我们问你是因为我们要查出
"We're asking you because who was it
谁让交通安全员精神崩溃的"
"who gave the lollipop man a nervous breakdown?"
我说"是他纠缠那些孩子"
I said, "Well, he was interfering with those children."
他说"法庭要对你进行约束 责令你停止这些行为
He said, "The court bound you over to keep the peace.
这件事很严重"
"This is a serious matter."
我说"的确很严重
I said, "It is a serious matter.
我看到越轨和渎职行为时
"I can't keep the peace when there's cruelty
不可能置之不理
"and neglect going on under my nose.
如果有孩子受伤 我不可能置之不理
"I shouldn't keep the peace when there's a child suffering.
我不该置之不理 对吧"
"It's not my duty to keep the peace then, is it?"
然后那位女警♥察♥用善解人意的语气
So then madam takes over, the understanding approach.
对我说"他们应该是一对负责任的年轻夫妻吧"
She said, "Didn't I appreciate this was a caring young couple?"
我说"如果他们是一对负责任的年轻夫妻
I said, "If they were a caring young couple,
你为什么从来见不到那孩子
"Why did you never see the kiddy?
如果他们是一对负责任的年轻夫妻
"If they were a caring young couple,
他们为什么每晚都要出去野
"Why did they go gadding off every night,
把孩子一个人丢在家里"
"Leaving the kiddy alone in the house?"
她说"因为孩子没有一个人在家里
She said, "Because the kiddy wasn't alone in the house.
他们的孩子不在那房♥子里
"The kiddy wasn't in the house -
而是在布拉德福德的医院里
"The kiddy was in hospital in Bradford.
他们每晚去的是哪个医院
"That's where they were going every night,
上周五 那孩子在那里去世了"
"And that's where the kiddy died, last Friday.
我说"为什么 疏于照顾吗" 她说"不 白血病"
I said, "What of - neglect?" She said, "No, leukaemia."
他说"你最好戴上你的帽子 穿好衣服"
He said, "You'd better get your hat and coat on."
有两个社工来了
I've got two social workers come.
一个白人 一个黑人
One white, one black.
那个白人的名字叫莫林
Maureen, I'm supposed to call the white one.
指甲长得惊人
Shocking finger nails.
姜黄色的头发 上周
Ginger hair, and last week
她的紧身裤上有一个50便士大的洞
a hole in her tights as big as a 50p piece.
她看上去比我更需要社工
She looks more in need of social work than I do.
三句话不离男人
Puts it all down to men.
"我们都了解那些男人 对吧 艾琳"
"Oh, we all know about men, don't we, Irene?"
我从来没说过她能叫我艾琳
I never said she could call me Irene.
我不想被唤作艾琳
I don't want to be called Irene.
我希望他们叫我鲁多克小姐
I want to be called Miss Ruddock.
我不是艾琳 自从我妈妈死后 我就不是艾琳了
I'm not Irene. I haven't been Irene since Mother died.
但是他们都叫我艾琳 她 警♥察♥ 所有人
But they all call me Irene - her, the police, everybody.
他们觉得他们很热情
They think they're being nice,
但事实上只是让我恶心
only it's just a nice way of being nasty.
另一个是亚裔 拉宾迪夫人
The other one's Asian. Mrs Rabindi.
坐下就说话
Sits, talks.
她还可以
She's right enough.
上周 有人在她门上乱涂乱画
Something daubed on her door last week.
她说如果你是亚裔 这是意料之中的事
She says it's what you get to expect if you're Asian.
我说"我家外的墙上画了各种东西"
I said, "Well, there's all sorts gets chucked over my wall."
我们会坐着聊天 她是个有点无聊的女人
We sit and talk, only she's a bit of a boring woman.
我告诉她 我爱我的妈妈
I tell her I loved my mother,
她说她有多么爱自己的母亲
and she says how she loved her mother.
我说我不敢上街
I say I'm frightened to walk the streets,
她说她都是怎么抨击自己的
and she tells me how she's been attacked herself.
所以一点进展都没有
So it doesn't get you any further.
整天只会说"我也是"
It's all, "Me too."
什么社工
Social work.
学话鸟还差不多
More like chiming in.
我正处于缓刑中
I'm on what's called a suspended sentence.
这意味着你必须要服从命令
It means you have to toe the line.
如果我再写信 我就会被送进监狱
If I write any more letters, I get sent to prison.
治安官说我是个非常可怜的人
The magistrate said I was more to be pitied than anything else.
我说"不好意思 我能插话吗"
I said, "Excuse me, could I interject?"
他说"不行 你最好还是保持安静"
He said, "No, your best plan would be to keep mum."
那个大块头
Big fella.
穿着海军蓝西服
Navy blue suit.
纽扣里插着罂粟花
Poppy in his buttonhole.
看起来是个酒鬼
Yeah, looked a bit of a drinker.
莫林说我该听听本地的广播
Maureen says I should listen to local radio.
剧集 | 新喋喋人生 | 导航列表