I was giving away some money.
你引起了骚乱! - 只是发点钱而已
You're inciting a riot! - Just giving away some money.
我不会再这样做了 他们很快会走的
I won't do it again. They'll soon go away.
警♥察♥从腰间抽出一只手 拿出一张50英镑
The policeman took one hand off his hip, produced a £50 note.
你也拿了一张呀 - 这就是证据 钱是从哪来的?
A-ha, you got one yourself. - This is evidence. Where's the money from?
我玩21点赢来的 我那晚运气爆棚
I won it at blackjack. I had a tremendously lucky night.
亨利说出了娱乐场的名字 警♥察♥记了下来
Henry named the club and the policeman wrote it down.
他们会告诉你是真的
They'll tell you it's true.
警♥察♥放下本子 我不在乎
The policeman lowered the book. I don't care.
是吗? - 毫不在意
Don't you? - Not whatsoever.
其实 我相信你的说辞
In fact, I believe your story,
但这完全不是你所作所为的借口
but that doesn't excuse what you did even the tiniest bit.
我没干犯法的事吧?
I didn't do anything illegal, did I?
犯法?
Illegal?
你个傻瓜!
You're an idiot!
如果你有幸赢得这么大一笔钱
If you're lucky enough to win yourself a big sum of money like that,
想把它送人 你也不能往窗户外面扔
and want to give it away, you don't throw it out of the window.
你可以送去行善事的地方 比方说医院 或孤儿院
You give it somewhere it'll do some good. A hospital for instance, or an orphanage.
许多医院和孤儿院
There's hospitals and orphanages all over
都缺乏给孩子们买♥♥圣诞礼物的资金
got hardly enough money to buy the kids a present for Christmas.
结果来了个娇生惯养的傻瓜
Then comes a spoiled idiot
对艰苦的生活毫无概念
who's never known what it's like to be hard up,
居然把那玩意儿往大街上扔!
and you throw the stuff out into the street!
然后警♥察♥愤怒地下了楼梯 走出大门
The policeman stomped down the stairs and out of the door.
亨利站着没动
Henry didn't move.
这番话 还有说话时的愤怒
Those words, and the fury with which they were spoken,
深深打动了他
struck hard and deep.
他很惭愧
He was ashamed.
这种感觉很糟糕
It was an awful feeling.
然后 突然间
Then, all at once,
亨利感觉到 一股强力的电流震颤着通过全身
Henry felt a powerful electricity tingling through his entire body,
让他开始想到能改变一切的主意
and there began to come to him an idea that was to change everything.
他开始来回踱步
He started pacing up and down,
列举出能实现他想法的点子
ticking off the points that would make his idea possible.
第一 从现在开始
One. I'm going to win a very large sum of money
每天我都要赢一大笔钱
each and every day of my life from this moment forward.
第二 每家娱乐场 我每六个月只能去一次
Two. I can go to the same casino only once every six months.
第三 每次坐下都不能赢太多钱
Three. I must never win too much money in one sitting.
我的上限是一晚赢五万英镑
£50,000 pounds a night, that's my limit.
第四 一晚赢五万英镑 一年有365天
Four. £50,000 a night for 365 days a year.
那就是1825万
That's £18.25 million.
第五 我要一直换地方
Five. Keep moving.
每座城市不能连续住超过两三晚
No more than three nights at a stretch in any city.
伦敦 蒙特卡洛 戛纳 比亚里茨
London, Monte-Carlo, Cannes, Biarritz,
多♥维♥尔 拉斯维加斯 墨西哥城 布宜诺斯艾利斯 拿索
Deauville, Las Vegas, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Nassau.
第六 我会拿那些钱 在全球建医院和孤儿院
Six. I'll take the money and establish hospitals and orphanages around the world.
作为一个梦想 这听起来陈腐又感情用事
Corny and sentimental as a dream,
但在现实中 我觉得我能做到
but as a reality, I think I can make it work.
我觉得一点都不陈腐 可以大获成功
I don't think it'd be corny at all. It would be wonderfully stupendous.
第七 我需要一个伙伴 负责坐在桌子旁边收钱
Seven. I need a partner who can sit behind a desk and receive the money,
然后把钱送去有需要的地方
then send it where it's needed.
此人必须永远深受我绝对的信任
Someone I can deeply, emphatically, categorically trust forever.
约翰·温斯顿是亨利的会计 也曾是他爸爸的会计
John Winston was Henry's accountant, and had been his father's too,
约翰的爸爸也是亨利的爷爷的会计
and John's father had been Henry's father's father's accountant.
你本可以成为地球上最富有的人
You could be the richest man on Earth.
我不想成为地球上最富有的人
I don't want to be the richest man on Earth.
我没法在英格兰运作 钱会被税收员全收走
I can't operate in England. The taxman'll take it all.
我必须搬去瑞士 但不是明天动身
I'll have to move to Switzerland. But not tomorrow.
我不像你那样 无牵无挂 无需肩负责任
I'm not unattached like you with no responsibilities.
我必须跟家人商量 提前通知父母
I must talk to my family, give notice to my partners.
我必须卖♥♥掉屋子 另外在瑞士找房♥
I must sell my house, find another in Switzerland,
让孩子们转学 这些都需要时间
take the kids out of school. These things take time.
一年之后 亨利已经把 一亿两千多万汇给了
One year later, Henry had sent just over £120 million
在洛桑的约翰·温斯顿
to John Winston in Lausanne.
每周有五天需要汇款
The money was delivered five days a week
汇入一家叫温斯顿休格的瑞士公♥司♥
to a Swiss company called Winston Sugar, LLC.
除了约翰和亨利 没人知道这些钱是从哪里来的
Nobody except John and Henry knew where the money came from
也不知道钱会用在何处
or what would happen to it.
星期一的汇款金额是最大的
The Monday remittance was the biggest
因为它包括了星期五、六、天的收入
because it included the take for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday,
这几天银行都会关门
when the banks were closed.
他极快速地转移
He moved with astonishing speed,
一星期内要换几次身份
changing his identity several times in a single week.
通常 约翰了解亨利下落的唯一线索
Often, the only clue John had of Henry's whereabouts
就是看他汇钱所在银行的地址 真是了不起
was the address of the bank which had sent the money. It was stupendous.
亨利去年死于肺栓塞 终年63岁
Henry died last year, age 63, from a pulmonary embolism.
他早已预见了 确实看到了 但是也非常平静
He saw it coming, quite literally, but was very much at peace.
他的计划执行了刚超过20年
He'd been following his plan for just over 20 years.
他赚了六亿四千四百万英镑
He'd made £6♥4♥4 million.
在全世界留下了
He'd left 21 well-established,
21座设备齐全、运作良好的 儿童医院和孤儿院
well-run children's hospitals and orphanages around the world,
由约翰·温斯顿和员工 从洛桑负责管理和提供资金
administered and financed from Lausanne by John Winston and his staff.
他的工作已经完成
His work was complete.
那你是怎么知道这些事情的呢? 好问题 我来告诉你
Now, how do I know all this? Good question. I'll tell you.
亨利去世后不久 约翰·温斯顿从瑞士给我打来电♥话♥
Soon after Henry's death, John Winston telephoned me from Switzerland.
他简单地自我介绍
He introduced himself simply
说他是温斯顿休格有限公♥司♥的负责人
as the head of a company calling itself Winston Sugar, LLC,
问我是否愿意去洛桑探访他
and asked if I'd come to Lausanne to see him
目的是写一篇短文 介绍这家机构的历史
with a view to writing a brief history of the organization.
我不知道他为什么会选我
I don't know how he chose me.
或他许收集了一份作家列表 在上面钉了大头针
Probably had a list of writers and stuck a pin in it.
他说 报酬丰厚 并且补充道
He would pay me well, he said, and added,
“最近有一位非凡的人去世了
"A remarkable man has died recently."
他的名字叫亨利·休格
"His name was Henry Sugar."
我想人们应该了解 他为世界所做的一点贡献”
"I think people ought to know a bit about what he has done for the world."
我出于无知
In my ignorance,
问他这个故事是不是真的很有趣
I asked whether the story was really interesting enough
值得刊登在报纸上
to merit being put on paper.
这让约翰·温斯顿十分恼怒 或许还有点冒犯了他
This annoyed John Winston very much. Perhaps it even offended him.
他在电♥话♥上花了五分钟
In five minutes on the phone,
给我讲了亨利·休格的秘密职业生涯
he told me about Henry Sugar's secret career.
这已经不再是秘密
It was secret no longer.
亨利已经死了 他不会再走进另一家娱乐场
Henry was dead and would never enter another casino again.
我说:“那我过来”
"I'm coming," I said.
在洛桑 我见到了约翰·温斯顿 现在70多岁了
In Lausanne, I met John Winston, now over 70,
还有马克斯·恩格尔曼
also Max Engelman,
一个著名的化妆师 曾跟着亨利走遍世界
a renowned make-up artist who traveled the world with Henry
打造出色的伪装来掩盖他的身份
creating fantastic disguises to conceal his identity.
亨利的死给了他们极大的打击 马克斯比约翰·温斯顿更难过
They were both shattered by Henry's death. Max even more so than John Winston.
我很爱戴他 他是个伟大的人
I loved him. He was a great man.
约翰·温斯顿给我看了 那本原版的深蓝色练习册
John Winston showed me the original dark-blue exercise book
是由ZZ·查特吉 于1935年在加尔各答写的
written by Z.Z. Chatterjee in Calcutta in 1935.
我后来一字不差地誊抄了下来
I later copied it out word-for-word.
我说:“最后一个问题
"One last question," I said.
你们一直叫他亨利·休格 却又跟我说这不是他的真名
"You keep calling him Henry Sugar, yet you tell me that wasn't his name."
你们不想让我在故事里 说出他的身份吗?”
"Don't you want me to say who he really was when I do the story?"
不想 - …约翰·温斯顿说
No. - …John Winston said.
我跟马克斯保证永远不公开他的身份
Max and I promised never to reveal his identity.
我想或许这早晚会泄露出去
Oh, I suppose it'll probably leak out sooner or later.
毕竟他出身自著名的英格兰家族
He was from a well-known English family,
但如果你不去深挖 我会很感激
but I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to find out.
请就叫他平平无奇的 亨利·休格先生吧
Just please, call him plain Mr. Henry Sugar.
那就恭敬不如从命吧
And that is what I have done.
(《亨利·休格的神奇故事》 由罗尔德·达尔)
(在他位于白金汉郡大米森登 吉普赛之家的写作小屋里创作)
(写于1976年2月到12月)
电影精选列表