我问:“会不会太不舒服?”
"Isn't too uncomfortable?" I asked.
完全不会 谢谢
Not at all. Thank you.
我跟马歇尔医生说:“包绷带吧”
"Do the bandaging," I said to Marshall.
我的手指太黏了
My fingers are too sticky.
我来吧 我们把这些放在这里…
Pleasure. We'll just pop these here…
马歇尔医生把厚棉绒 放在伊姆达德填满面团的眼睛上
Dr. Marshall laid thick cotton-wool on Imdad's dough-filled eyes.
粘到位了
It stuck in place.
请坐起来
Sit up please.
马歇尔医生用7厘米多宽的绷带 把面部和头包扎起来
Dr. Marshall rolled a three-inch bandage round the face and head.
请一定要留出鼻子给我呼吸
Please do leave my nose free for breathing.
那当然了
Of course.
抱歉 包得紧的地方会夹得有点疼
Sorry, it's going to be a pinch on the tight side.
现在怎么样?
How's that?
我说:“好极了”
"Splendid," I said.
看起来他像做了一场可怕的脑部手术
Looked like he suffered a terrible brain operation.
感觉如何?
How does it feel?
感觉很好
It feels very good.
我得赞扬两位先生 做了如此细致的工作
I must compliment you gentlemen on doing such a thorough job.
伊姆达德·可汗从床上站起来 笔直地向门口走去
Imdad Khan stood up off the bed and walked straight to the door.
天哪!看见没? 他的手准确地放在了门把手上!
Great Scott! See that? He put his hand right on the doorknob!
马歇尔医生不再笑了
Dr. Marshall stopped grinning.
伊姆达德正常地走路 沿着走廊快步走
Imdad was walking normally, quite briskly along the corridor.
我们在他身后四五米处跟着 真是令人毛骨悚然 看着这个人
We followed five yards behind him. Spooky it was to watch this man
头上缠绕着一大团绷带 却能休闲地漫步…
with an enormous, totally bandaged head strolling casually…
我喊:“他看得见!”
"He saw it!" I cried.
“他看见了推车!难以置信!”
"He saw that trolley! This is unbelievable!"
马歇尔医生没有回答
Dr. Marshall didn't answer.
他表情严肃 震撼得不敢相信
His whole face was rigid with shocked disbelief.
伊姆达德走下了楼梯 完全没问题
Imdad went down the stairs with no trouble at all.
根本不用扶着扶手
Didn't even hold the stair-rail.
有几个人在上楼 你能看见她们的反应
Several people were coming up. You can see how they reacted.
走到楼梯底部 他转过身走出大门 到街上去了
At the bottom of the stairs, he turned and headed out the doors to the street.
我跟马歇尔医生紧紧跟在他身后
Dr. Marshall and I kept close behind him.
我们楼下有100名 赤脚小孩大喊着蜂拥而至
Below us, a crowd of 100 barefoot children shouted and surged
冲向我们的白头访客
towards our white-headed visitor.
他双手举过头顶 向人群打招呼
He greeted them with his hands above his head.
他走向一辆单车 坐上去 以8字形蹬着踏板
He walked to a bicycle, mounted it, and pedaled a figure-eight.
赤脚孩子们追着他 欢呼大笑
The barefoot children chased him, cheering and laughing.
他加速直接骑上繁忙的街道
He sped straight out into the traffic of the busy street
鸣笛的汽车从四面八方在他周围掠过
with honking motor-cars whizzing around him in every direction.
他骑得很稳
He rode superbly.
前一分钟 他还在我们的视线内
For a minute, we kept him in sight.
然后他转过街角不见了
Then he turned a corner and was gone.
马歇尔医生说:“难以置信” - 难以置信
"I can't believe it," Dr. Marshall said. - I can't believe it.
我说:“我也难以置信”
"I can't either," I said.
我觉得我们看见了奇迹
I think we just witnessed a miracle.
那天后来的时间 我都忙着处理病人
For the rest of the day, I was busy with patients.
到了晚上 我回到寓所换衣服
In the evening, I went to my flat to change clothes.
我洗了很久的冷水澡
I took a long, cool shower.
我在阳台上喝着威士忌苏打 腰间只围着一条浴巾
I drank whisky-soda on the veranda with only a towel around my waist.
6点50分 我来到了皇宫大厅
At ten minutes to 7:00, I arrived at the Royal Palace Hall.
这场表演持续了两小时
The show lasted two hours.
令我惊讶的是 我觉得很好看 杂耍员 耍蛇人 吞火人
To my surprise, I enjoyed it. The juggler, the snake-charmer, the fire-eater,
吞剑者把长剑推进喉咙 放进胃里
the sword-swallower who pushed a rapier down his throat into his stomach.
最后 号♥角声大作
Lastly, to a great fanfare of trumpets,
我们的朋友伊姆达德·可汗登台献艺
our friend Imdad Khan came out to do his act.
几位观众被叫上台蒙住他的眼睛
Members of the audience were called onstage to blindfold him
然后他投掷飞刀 成功避开一个人的身体
before he threw knives around a boy's body
然后用左轮手♥枪♥打掉他头上的罐子
and shot a can off his head with a revolver.
最后 他还在绑着绷带的头上 罩了一个金属桶
Then, finally, a metal barrel was fitted over his already bandaged head.
男孩在伊姆达德的一只手上放了根针 又在另一只手上放了棉线
The boy placed a needle in Imdad's hand and some cotton thread in the other.
一个巨大的放大镜被放在了他前面
A large magnifying glass was placed in front of him,
没有错误动作
and with no false moves,
他干净利落地把线穿过了针眼
he neatly threaded the thread through the eye of the needle.
我真是目瞪口呆
I was flabbergasted.
在幕后 我看到伊姆达德 安静地坐在凳子上
Backstage, I found Imdad sitting quietly on a stool
同时正在卸妆
while he removed his stage makeup.
医生 你很好奇 对吗?
You're curious, doctor, correct?
我说:“非常好奇”
"Most curious," I said.
我又一次对他耳朵外面的 一撮黑毛感到困惑
Again, I was struck by the matting of black hair on the outsides of his ears.
我从来没在别人身上见过
I'd never seen anything like it on another person.
我有个提议 我不是专业的作家
I have a proposal: I'm not a writer by profession.
但如果你告诉我怎么练就这种本领
But if you tell me how you developed this power
不用眼睛也看得见 那我就把它如实写下来
of seeing without your eyes, I'll take it down faithfully.
尝试送去发表在《英国医学杂♥志♥》
I'll try to get it published in the British Medical Journal
或是其他知名刊物上
or in a famous magazine.
那样对你有帮助吗?变得更有名气?
Would that help you? To become better known?
那会对我大有帮助 - 太好了
It would help me very much. - Splendid.
我掌握用来记录医疗史的速记法
I have a shorthand for taking down medical histories.
我相信我把伊姆达德说的话 完全记录下来了
I believe I got everything Imdad said to me, word for word.
我现在就把他说的话 原原本本地给你看
I give it to you now exactly as he spoke it.
(那晚 伊姆达德跟我说的每个字)
(完全记录)
1873年 我在克什米尔邦出生
I was born in Kashmir State in 1873.
我父亲是国营铁路检票员
My father was a ticket inspector on the national railway.
有一天 一个魔术师到我们学校表演
One day, a conjurer came to our school and gave a performance.
我被深深迷住了
I was spellbound.
两周之后 我拿上所有的积蓄
Two weeks later, I took all my savings
离家出走 加入了一个巡游剧团公♥司♥
and ran away to join a traveling theater company.
那年是1886年 当时我13岁
That was in 1886. I was 13 years old.
三年来
For three years
我跟着剧团游遍了旁遮普
I traveled with this group all over the Punjab.
到最后 我成了节目的主演
By the end of it, I was playing top of the bill.
我一直在存钱
All the time, I was saving money,
最后加起来刚好有三千卢比出头
which finally added up to just over 3,000 rupees.
这时 我听人说起 一个出名的伟大瑜伽行者
At this moment, I heard tell of a great, famous yogi
他习得了罕见的悬浮能力
who had acquired the rare power of levitation.
据说他在祈祷时
It was said that when he prayed,
整个身体都会离地 悬浮在空中约半米高的地方
his whole body left the ground and rose up 18 inches into the air.
起码这有非常棒的效果
At the very least, a terrific effect.
八字胡呢?
Mustache?
我从剧团公♥司♥辞职
Oh. I quit the theater company… - Mmm-hmm.
前往恒河堤岸边的小镇
…and made my way to the small town on the banks of the Ganges,
有传言说瑜伽行者就住那里
where rumor said this yogi was living.
有一天 我听一个旅行者 说起一名隐士
One day, I overheard a traveler mention a hermit
他在不远处茂密的树林里 碰见了隐士 没别的人
he had encountered not so very far away, in the densest jungle, all alone.
这对我来说足够了
That was enough for me.
我冲出去雇了一辆马车
Um, I dashed out to hire a horse and cart.
就在我跟车夫商量时
As I negotiated with the driver,
一个人出现了 他说也要去同一个方向
a man appeared and said he was going in the same direction,
并提议说我们可以同行 均摊车马费
and suggested we share the ride and split the cost.
那真是太走运了!
Well, what truly fantastic luck!
我跟同伴说着话
Talking to my companion,
我发现他正是 那个伟大瑜伽行者的门徒
I found that he was a disciple of the great yogi himself,
他此行就是要去拜访他的师♥傅♥
and on his way, at that very moment, to visit his master.
我脱口而出
I blurted out,
“这就是我要找的人! 拜托 我可以见见他吗?”
"This is the man I'm looking for! Please, may I meet him?"
我的同伴慢慢地看了我看久
My companion looked at me long and slow.
他说:“这不可能”
"That is impossible," he said.
至此之后 他拒绝回答我的问题
From this point forward, he refused to answer my questions.
不过 我设法得知了一个小细节
However, I managed to learn one small thing:
那个伟大瑜伽行者 每天开始冥想的时间
the time of day the great yogi commenced his meditation.
我的同伴示意停车 他下车离开了
My companion signaled to halt the cart, dismounted, and was gone.
我佯装继续往前走 但到了转角处
I pretended to drive on. But just around the corner,
我就跳下车 悄悄地沿着路走
I jumped down and snuck back along the path.
那个男人已经走进树林里消失了
Already, the man had disappeared into the jungle.
我听见林下灌丛窸窣作响
I heard a rustling in the undergrowth.
我心想:“若不是他 那就是老虎
"If that's not him," I thought, "it's a tiger,
我要准备扑过去攻击它
and I'm about to be pounced upon, thrashed,
撕咬下一小口血淋淋的肉才行”
and eaten in little, torn morsels of bloody flesh."
结果就是他
It was him.
电影精选列表