是的 我对海滩的想法是一本书和一条毯子。
Yeah. My idea of the beach is a book and a blanket.
不是贝类。
Not shellfish.
艾米丽,你在学校学习什么?
What are you studying at school, Emily?
有机化学。我已经结束三年级了。
Organic chemistry. I'm finishing up my third year.
再过五个星期。
Five more weeks.
化学?那是...那是一个雄心勃勃的专业。
Chemistry? That's... That's an ambitious major.
是啊。我,嗯...
Yeah, yeah. I, um...
我这样做是对自己的挑战。
I did it as a bit of a challenge to myself.
我认为经过四年的化学学习,我可以学习任何东西。
I figured I could study anything after four years of chemistry.
您在考虑读研究生吗?是的
You thinking about grad school? Yeah.
我想在华盛顿大学学习天体生物学。
I want to study astrobiology at the university of Washington.
他们有一个很棒的程序。
They have a great program.
那是什么?生活在其他星球上?
What is that? Life on other planets?
有点儿。
Kind of.
实际上,它与这个星球上的生命息息相关。
It actually has more to do with life on this planet.
有机体如何适应极端环境
How organisms can adapt to extreme environments
我们甚至无法生存。
that we could not even survive.
嗯...
It's, um...
这就是化学成为生物学的关键。
It's the point where chemistry becomes biology.
我们认为在海底某处。
Somewhere at the bottom of the ocean, we think.
生活是如此的脆弱。
Life is so fragile.
我们是元素的正确组合。
We're the right combination of elements.
合适的温度。与太阳的正确距离。
The right temperature. The right distance from the sun.
而这种花在开♥发♥上的时间
And this measure of time spent developing
和变化。
and changing.
数十亿年。
Billions of years.
一件事发生了,我们将一事无成。
One thing slightly off, and we would be nothing.
灰尘,气体或其他东西。
Dust or gas or something.
我对此敬畏。
I'm in awe of it.
在我头上。
Over my head.
兰德尔,你怎么会成为一个如此聪明的人?
Randall, how'd you end up with someone so smart?
我猜很幸运。
Lucky, I guess.
兰德尔,你在大学学习什么?
Randall, what are you studying at college?
嗯...好吧,我现在不在那儿。
Um... well, I'm not really there now.
哦耶?
Oh, yeah?
是的 我只是...
Yeah. I just...
我上过学。
I'd had it with school.
我需要走开,你知道吗?
I needed to get away, you know?
Doc可能对此并不兴奋。
Doc probably wasn't thrilled with that.
没有。
No.
不,他不是。
No, he was not.
现在,与大学相比,情况有所不同。
Things are a little different now, with college.
就像,他们是农业毕业生。
Like, they're farming graduates.
我不想要学校提供的东西
I didn't want what school offered,
我的余生将会是什么。
what the rest of my life was gonna be.
我的意思是,我在学什么?
I mean, it's like, what am I learning?
教育的意义是什么?
What's the point of an education?
只是为了...找到工作?
Just to... to get a job?
我的意思是,还必须有其他东西,对吗?
I mean, there has to be something else, right?
这一切的底蕴是什么?
What's underneath all of this?
那个...婚姻,孩子们,
The... the marriage, kids,
税收,账单,看电视,
taxes, bills, watching television,
选举,周日体育。
elections, sports on Sunday.
小心。我执教过州冠军棒球队。
Careful. I coached a state champion baseball team.
看,没有冒犯。
Look, no offense.
我只是不知道
I just don't know.
你知道的,我正在弄清楚。
You know, I'm figuring it out.
为了我。
For me.
好吧,这很复杂。
Well, it's complicated.
我只是不会撇帐
I just wouldn't write off
每个与您的想法不同的人。
everyone who thinks differently than you do.
您应该感谢您有时间
You should be thankful that you have the time
做你想做的。
to do whatever you want.
它...
It...
很高兴听到...
It is nice to hear...
那种精神。
That spirit.
我们很幸运能与您在一起。
We are so fortunate to be here with you.
只是...
It's just...
真好
It's just so nice.
嗯,
Well, uh,
有人需要补充吗?
does anyone need a refill?
是的,请。
Yes, please.
哦哦
Uh-oh.
坏消息。
Bad news.
我们出去了吗
Are we out?
最后一瓶霞多丽。
Last bottle of chardonnay.
半空状态。
Half-empty.
Doc没有任何地方藏有任何瓶子吗?
Doc doesn't have any bottles stashed away anywhere?
我可以喝点威士忌。
I could use a little whiskey.
没有。
No.
晚上这个时间都没有开放。
Nothing's open this time of night.
好吧,我们无论如何都不应该开车。
Well, and we shouldn't be driving anyway.
还有别的
There is something else.
=-先生。车工。“米奇,”请。
=-Mr. Turner. "Mitch," please.
米奇,简...
Mitch, Jane...
您熟悉食物吗?
Are you familiar with edibles?
兰德尔...
Randall...
时代就是他们,
Times being what they are,
合法化等等。
legalization and all.
我认为这不合适。
I don't think this is appropriate.
好吧,这是有礼貌的分享。
Well, it's only polite to share.
食用大♥麻♥?你是这个意思吗?
Edible marijuana? Is that what you mean?
你♥他♥妈♥的疯了吗?
Are you fucking insane?
什么?在接您之前,我在药房♥买♥♥了它们。
What? I got them at a dispensary before I picked you up.
他们甚至说,大多数客户都是
They even said that most of the customers are, like,
50、60岁。
50, 60 years old.
兰德尔,这真是个坏主意。
This is a really bad idea, Randall.
爸爸,他要怎么办?
What's he gonna do, tell my dad?
她已经服药了。
She's medicated.
这可能会对她有好处。
It'll probably do her some good.
我认为这不是一个好主意。
I don't think it's a good idea.
你已经吃了 我们不会开车。
You already ate. We're not gonna be driving.
好的。
Okay.
他们有多强?
How strong are they?
他们会没事的。
They'll be fine.
兰德尔?
Randall?
我们把它切成四分之一吗?
Do we cut it in quarters?
因此,等等,请告诉我有关这一天体生物学的信息?
So wait, tell me about this astrobiology?
好吧,这就像地球上生命的起源。
Well, it's like the origins of life on earth.
当我们研究其他行星生命的基本组成部分时,
As we study the basic building blocks of life on other planets,
它有助于我们的起源。
it helps us with our origins.
找到水的任何证据都是一个好的开始。
Finding any evidence of water is a good start.
他们不只是在火星上找到水吗?
Didn't they just find water on Mars?
最近。
Very recently.
就像,有这些非常基本的元素
It's like, there are these very basic elements
存在于地球最早的阶段,
that were present at the earliest stages of the planet,
和来自地心的热量,
and the heat from the from the core of the earth,
它一直在搅动这些要素
it kept churning these elements
数百万年。
for millions and millions of years.
蒸发,硬化...
Evaporating, hardening...
气氛就像
The atmosphere is, like,
水蒸汽撞击热的岩石。
steam from water hitting a hot rock.
但这就像
But it's like
外国必须进入环境
something foreign had to enter the environment
形成核酸。
for nucleic acids to form.
最初的下降
That initial drop,
它从哪里来的?
where did it come from?
然后它开始反应,复♥制♥,
And then it started reacting, replicating,
进入将成为海底的东西。
into what would become the bottom of the ocean.
软水(碳酸钙含量少。
Soft water.